Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Strawbale Gardening: organic recipe for conditioning bales

Communities > Forums > Strawbale Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Strawbale GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 158
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dbanks
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9046640

Apologies if this is old news to most of you. I found this tonight and found it pretty helpful. Not sure if I can afford all of this, but interesting nonetheless. I will probably stick with blood meal and bone meal for financial reasons.

http://thisfamilyof4.blogspot.com/2011/04/organic-straw-bale-garden-conditioning.html
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

March 17, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9046652

Forget the bone meal for prepping the bales.

You need something with a high nitrogen content for the "quick cook" method.

Blood meal is good, but ain't nothing like the 34-0-0 ammonium nitrate, if you can find it.

Ammonium sulphate will work, too.

Urea is good.

Otherwise, just set your bales out at least 30 days prior to transplanting/planting, water them down good for the 1st couple of days and then just keep the bales moist from then on out.

Kent
dbanks
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9048880

Thanks, Kent!

It's times like these I really wish I could pee standing up. I guess I could get out there and hover once it gets dark enough!! : ) : ) : )

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9048890

That's a dedicated gardener!!!

Doug
lonejack
Longview, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2012
10:03 PM

Post #9061343

Hi dbanks,
I advocated saving pee at a school in Haiti for fertilizer. If you have your family save it, you can dilute it 10/90 with water. It wouldn't
take too much to treat a bale.
It sure worked great in Haiti. We had 450 little peeers in the school so we could get quite a bit of free fertilizer. Pee comes from the body very pure with few of the problems associated with stuff from the other end.
I know you were joking, but in some areas this is an overlooked source of fertilizer. I advocate using what is around us without shelling out hard earned $.
Sorry for being so serious.
Paul.

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9070555

I used Blood meal last year, it works fine.

Paul
rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2012
10:24 PM

Post #9073694

dbanks wrote:Apologies if this is old news to most of you. I found this tonight and found it pretty helpful. Not sure if I can afford all of this, but interesting nonetheless. I will probably stick with blood meal and bone meal for financial reasons.

http://thisfamilyof4.blogspot.com/2011/04/organic-straw-bale-garden-conditioning.html

dbanks, I'm in Gainesville too (a few miles outside city limits, actually). FYI, Alachua Seed & Feed on 6th either has or can get your choice of ammonium nitrate or urea, both "high-proof" sources of nitrogen. Strictly in terms of the amount of nitrogen per dollar, they are hard to beat.

I would stay far away from Milorganite. It is treated urban sewage, and is only recommended for lawns and ornamental plantings. It may be safe from a bacteriological standpoint, but as municipal sewage it contains whatever gets flushed down toilets or poured down sinks throughout the city. That includes everything imaginable - heavy metals, drainage from automotive centers and car parks containing the contents of broken batteries and petroleum spills, latex paint, organic solvents, old pesticides, leftover out-of-date prescription medicine - anything that anyone wants to get rid of and doesn't want to pay to have treated or hauled away. A real witches brew.

-Rich

This message was edited Apr 8, 2012 1:28 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Strawbale Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Straw bale gardening: no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling KentNC 274 Oct 18, 2009 1:58 AM
Strawbale Gardening (part 7) Jnette 126 Mar 20, 2007 9:51 AM
Straw Bale Gardening LauraK 49 Apr 2, 2008 12:02 AM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 8) KentNC 114 Apr 2, 2007 5:32 PM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 9) KentNC 124 Apr 21, 2007 12:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America