Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: Crazy day for me...

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 17, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9046727

I have been dealing with a broody hen and finally let her have a couple of eggs to sit on. Well one was a dud and the other one finally started to hatch today. I was checking on the process this afternoon and saw that the baby was most of the way out so I pulled the rest of the egg away. Well broody hen starts pecking toward it. So I push her away and then watched her and she went back to it and pecked it a couple of times really hard so I grab the chick and make a quick run to the kitchen to stop it from bleeding. Poor thing had a big gash on its head just behind the eye and one of its toes is really red like she got it too. So luckily I still had the stuff from my earlier babies still handy to put it in. After I got the chick settled and warming under a lamp I had to go deal with broody. She just about got her neck rung, but I ended up throwing her out in the coop with the rest of the group. She is a blue laced red wyadotte (kinda rare type around here) so she lucked out not getting the boot. I checked out in the coop later and there she was back in a nest box. I took her out and put her on the roost. I just hope I don't have to continue trying to break her. She will not be a good mama chicken.

Anyway, the chick seems to be OK now, so here pics of the lone chick. If you look real close you can see the red from the wound right near the eye. It looks to be part faverolle - it has feathers on the legs and an extra toe. I just hope it isn't to scarred up later, but I know they heal pretty quickly after what some of my other hens have gone through with crazy roosters.

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8   Thumbnail by titaniumRX8
Click an image for an enlarged view.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9046871

my wynadottes were vultures. She is probably tying to eat the poor chick. Mine all had bare rumps where they plucked and ate each others feathers. I got rid of them quick. Guy told me they were molting when I bought them
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

March 18, 2012
4:20 AM

Post #9046981

Poor little thing!Give it a stuffed animal and feather duster if you can`t find it a buddy.This is Jadee she was raised alone,very hard to intergrate back into the flock when they are by themselves.

Thumbnail by green04735
Click the image for an enlarged view.

catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9047097

Tractor Supply may be able to help...My friend in Murphy just found some needy little featherbutts who desperately needed homes :)
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 18, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9047162

Ah yes, those poor little needy orphans just call out to us.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9047225

I have another older chick out in the garage in a pen (next to where broody was) so maybe in a week I can put them together so they will have a friend. I thought about getting chicks from the local feed store, but I was worried that they have been vaccinated and mine have not. Don't want to take a chance on bringing in something and it wipe out my flock.

The little one seems to be doing good so I think we dodged a bullet. Now I just got to decide if I want to hatch some ducks...my girls are leaving me little presents down by the lake. If I could know I could get a girl I would do it...I have 3 boys and 2 girls. Had 3 of each when I first got them, but one disappeared the first day I let them out. Decisions decisions.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9047274

Also, wanted to see if everyone can help me think of some names for the St. Patrick's day baby. I thought maybe Darby for a boys name and maybe Erin for a girls name. I need y'all to help me out because I am not sure those are good names for chickens.

I sure am glad that that baby hatched on the weekend. Otherwise it would have surely been dead if it was during the week while I was at work.

The other egg she was on was broken one day when I came home from work so Donna you may be right about them being vultures. I've got 4 wyandotte hens and the 2 silver laced ones have very little butt hair. Also, one of my roosters butt hair (and some from his neck) was missing for a while too, but it has finally grown back. I guess he started to ding them in the head so they'll stop.

I have a EE that has very little feathers. Poor thing looks about oven ready. I think I need to just separate her at some point so she can get some feathers back. I just hate to do that since separating chickens and them putting them back is such a hassle. She has really pretty coloring, but you can't tell from the way she looks. I just tell people she is molting, the truth is that several of my chickens just pluck a her tail constantly.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 18, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9047477

Perhaps she needs some chicken clothing?
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9047494

She has a saddle/apron on her and she still looks terrible. I've even put blue kote on her back end...vultures like Donna said.

Any ideas on names for my chick...Bueller Bueller?
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

March 18, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9047584

How about Paddy(boy or girl name) you know for St Paddys day,yesterday was my birthday.Or Shamrock

This message was edited Mar 18, 2012 4:17 PM
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9047742

Green - I should have guessed by your name that there was some symbolic reason. Happy belated birthday!
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

March 18, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9047752

Thanks,green is my favorite color
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 18, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9047757

Happy Birthday, Green! How about Shannon?

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9048725

HAppy Belated Green!!!!! OooooOhh Oh OH... I thought that Shamrock would be a perfect name for your tweetie Pie!
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9048759

How about 'Lucky' since it is lucky to be alive...
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

March 19, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9049296

Thanks everyone
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9056354

So far my wyandottes are very docile and sweet. They go to their dog crate in the garage every night and get on their little roost. lol No problems.

Is it possible your chicken got upset and started acting nuts because you interfered? My mother always said to leave mommas and babies alone for awhile and let them adjust. She had a cow calving once in her lot and the neighbor decided to go inspect a little too closely, like within a few feet of them. Then the cow started butting the calf around. My mother said it was the neighbor's fault for bothering them. Just a thought.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9058010

Not sure LFJ...I just separated just to be sure she didn't kill it. She pecked it twice pretty hard and drew blood on its head and its poor foot was purple for 4 days afterward too. I had another older chick in the same area with her and I wonder if she just thought that the other one was one of her chicks and she just had a moment where she thought the other chick needed protecting from this new one? I dunno, but the little chick is doing good no permanent damage to the foot or the eye.

My Wyandottes are on the top of the pecking order. Next in line is my New Hampshires and then my Rocks. My poor female Favorolle and my 2 female EE are always getting the worst end of it being on the bottom. I need to get that one chick from my early hatch out there in the coop. Just can't seem to make the time with all the other stuff I have going on. Starting gardening chores so that is keeping me busy with seed starting and such.

And sad news on one of my ducks - my grey Swedish female was taken by a predator last night. I found a clump of feathers this morning after she didn't show for breakfast. Really sad about it, but I figured it was a matter of time before something happened. Got a email a few days ago saying there were coyotes in the area. Now have to see if I can adopt some females from the rescue, because I only have one now and 3 boys and one girl is not good odds.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America