AuthorContent

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9046993

Anyone shoot video with their DSLR and have trouble with the in camera mic? The one in my Canon 1D Mark IV is not so good. If there is any wind, it sounds terrible and I have not been able to shield it.

Does this sound like something worth waiting for?
http://www.rodemic.com/news/announcing-the-videomic-hd-the-worlds-first-digital-recorder-video-microphone

Excerpt from ad:
"RěDE Microphones is extremely proud to announce the VideoMic HD, a high-fidelity, precision RF bias shotgun microphone with integrated digital recording, designed for use with DSLR and large-sensor video cameras."

Since I want a microphone to pick up bird sounds and other critters while shooting video of wildlife, I think, based on reading, I need a shotgun type to only pick up what I'm aiming at and not other sounds behind and to the sides. And, I need some type of wind protector. I could just get a Rode (or Sennheiser or some other one) shotgun mic with a Redhead or other windscreen, but ...

Also, in my reading, I found that a lot of people shooting video with dSLR use an off camera sound recorder in addition to the mic. Then they delete the sound track saved by the camera and splice in the good one from the better equipment. This involves up to three pieces of equipment you have to deal with and all sorts of brackets and mounting hardware.
http://dpexperience.com/2010/02/12/recording-audio-with-your-video-dslr-part-i/

The Rode unit that is coming out sounds too good to be true because it is all in one unit.

Am I missing something? Or would this be good?
Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9047359

Well, an on-camera mic is fraught with problems. Some auto-focusing or auto-anything lenses make noise that is picked up. A shotgun mic would be a step in the right direction. You see those guys with clear parabolic reflector microphones at sporting events. I am thinking that would be better than a shotgun mic for bird sounds.
Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9047372

Incidentally, there is software that can filter out wind noise in post processing of the video.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/noisereduction

I have used it with some of my noisy footage from an old Sony Digital8 camcorder. And I had a shotgun mic with a wind-noise cover. Still, when it is windy, you are going to get some wind noise. My Noise Reduction 2 plug-in did an amazing job in my Vegas video editing. It got most of the wind noise and you could still hear what people were saying, only much better. I would still like to get one of those clear parabolic mics, though, for nature sounds.

ZM

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9047460

Thanks, ZM! I will check into that software.

Patti
niceguy2
Rochester, MN

March 18, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9047562

http://www.surfbirds.com/community-blogs/tomstips/

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9047648

Thanks for the link niceguy2. I see a lot of good info, especially about flash. I do use a better beamer some of the time. But, I didn't see anything about using an off-camera mic with DSLR to improve sound. Was it there and I missed it?

Patti
niceguy2
Rochester, MN

March 18, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9047654

It had several mic set ups. It was quite a ways down, past the recording graphs. About half way down.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2012 5:16 PM

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9048137

Ah, I found it. I must have just skipped over it before. That is great info! I think I will wait for that new all in one device to come out and see what kind of reviews it gets.
Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2012
9:36 PM

Post #9048140

Patti,

Noise Reduction 2 is relatively expensive, but there are much more economical "audio scrubbers" available.

http://www.newbluefx.com/buy.html

The point being that you can do a lot of post production improvement in both video and audio in software.

ZM
niceguy2
Rochester, MN

March 19, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9048530

It might be worth the trouble to email those guys and see if they could get one to do a review on. Their thoughts would more specific to birding.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9049325

Thanks, ZM. That one was a bit too pricey for me.

Niceguy2, That's a great idea. I'll give it a try.

Patti

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9051549

Well, rats. The e-mail I sent to the contact address in Tim's website bounced back. I don't know how to contact him. Maybe it was just a server down. I'll try again.

niceguy2
Rochester, MN

March 21, 2012
10:29 PM

Post #9052289

At the top of the page click on 'forum'. Scroll down to the bottom, click on contact us. That might get you in touch with someone. I don't know who manages the forum. though.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2012
2:33 AM

Post #9052336

I gave that a try NIceguy2. I'll report back if I hear anything.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America