-
AuthorContent
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9047026

Finally finished the Barbie wedding gown and she is a beauty. The detail is outstanding right down to the trim on the sleeves and the crochet sachet for the bouquet.

Thumbnail by haighr   Thumbnail by haighr   Thumbnail by haighr
Click an image for an enlarged view.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9047028

The bouquet is a cluster of flowers on a pillow sachet.

Thumbnail by haighr   Thumbnail by haighr   Thumbnail by haighr

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9047454

OMG _You should send these photos to Matel. I bet they would pay BIG, BIG bucks to get their hands on that. It is incredible Candee. What a fantastic job...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9047987

THAT is beautiful! Thanks for the link Barb!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2012
3:46 AM

Post #9048232

Thanks you two. It is the 50th Barbie Anniv. Maybe I'll check out your idea Barb.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9048970

oh my goodness! Absolutely gorgeous! My Aunt sewed a gown with a train and flowered veil for my Barbie years ago (like 1965...) complete with crinolines. I was only 9, but it was the loveliest thing I'd ever had. This work of love beats that all to pieces! Thank you so much for posting!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9049775

Thanks so much. Do you still have it Kizmo? Would love to see it. This one will eventually go to Eva who is just 6 right now. I think I'll display it "for display only" when we do our first craft show.
Course now I need to do one for Abygail. I have a pattern for another fancy dress and may just do that instead of the same gown.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9050241

Unfortunately, no... it was boxed up with my dolls and such and sold at Mom's yard sale after I got married. One of those things that should have been put in the hope chest, but wasn't.
If you display it, someone may place an order for one!! It would be hard for me to put a price on something like that...

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2012
4:12 AM

Post #9051062

I think if someone wants to place an order they will change their mind when I tell them $650 or more. They are a real challenge to make and take hours and hours and the thread is the coats n clarke which is quite expensive as well. I don't really want to make another of the same so would not do so unless someone is really willing to pay which I doubt.
Sorry to hear that yours is gone that must have been heartbreaking.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9051139

I was curious to as how many hours were in this gown.. I bought a pattern book years ago for something similar, had a 'gown a month', but after reading thru it, just never got around to trying.. of course I was working then, and didn't have much time to devote to it. If I would have started on it, I wouldn't have gotten much accomplished before I would have had to stop and go to work or bed.
In the younger years, I loved working with threads, as it seemed to be an art that only the older ladies in town kept alive in doilies and such. Others kept to crocheting with yarn. I'm sure you will get lots of compliments, as it is a beautiful thing!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9052442

I wish I had kept track of the hours as I have for other things I have made, but I had to keep ordering and waiting for the knit cro sheen thread and was making so many other things in the process that I just could not keep track of the time.
I can tell you that I started her on February 14.
February 22 I posted this on my blog:
The gown is coming along. The dress is complete, but still needs the lace and flowers which are in the making.
Yesterday finished the pillow base which took 2 days to complete. It has a center hole for standing the Barbie and the gown fits over the pillow base. It is stuffed with fiberfill and has a 12" diameter cardboard circle.
February 27 posted:
Finished long l135" lace for Barbie gown in evening and started last piece of 21" lace.
February 28 posted:
Thought I had Barbie lace finished but read the pattern and calls for 1 more 50" piece so had to order new thread.
March 6 posted:
Sewed the front lace on Barbie and added the front flowers.
March 17 posted:
Finished the BArbie today. She was actually done yesterday when I added the bouquet and veil, but today I got more tulle and sewed lace to the edge and changed it out.

Actually didn't take as long as it seemed? I also made 3 large standing angels, 3 small standing angels, 6 breast cancer doilies, a shamrock doily for Tasha and Easter bunny doily and sunflower doily and seven large panorama Easter eggs so I guess I have been crocheting my hands off!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9052559

My hands would have been finished after the first three angels!!!!!! God Bless you and keep your hands in great shape!!!!!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9052651

haigher, you are an artist with your crochet hook!! Barbie just took my breath away. Wonderful, wonderful work you are doing. Thanks so much for sharing.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9053344

Haighr, I've been checking out your other crochet crafts... you are wonderfully talented!!! Those panoramic eggs are so pretty, they remind me of the ones Mom used to make from pressed sugar, complete with little rabbits, baskets and other Easter themes inside the egg.
Keep up the great projects, I'll be watching!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9053632

You are all too kind, thank you soooooooo much. I just finished another large angel yesterday in pink and made a little one as well with white metallic trim and started an Easter crinoline. Need to get finished today as Tim, Amy, Eva and Colton are coming for a long weekend through Tuesday so won't be doing anything but playing with the grandkids!

I am glad you like the eggs as I was hesitant about making many because I am not sure they will sell, but it is almost Easter so somebody will hopefully want a few. I was thinking of asking $10 for each, do you think that is too much?
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9053634

These are the 2 little ones I finished yesterday before beginning 2 more. And 2 more eggs in yellow and minty green.

Thumbnail by haighr   Thumbnail by haighr

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
10:38 PM

Post #9054772

idon't think $10 is too much!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 64 Jul 21, 2014 12:58 PM
Santa Claus mits ViolaAnn 19 May 5, 2011 12:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America