Photo by Melody

Vegetable Gardening: Spaghetti Squash culture?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 80
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9047352

I have some Spaghetti Squash seed and want to try them. I have been leaning toward vegetarianism and they would fill a good place with the other veggies. But I know nothing about them.
My husband's biggest concern is that they won't grow well here in the cooler Applachian areas. Summer high temperatures are usually in the 80s, not 90s. Please tell me your experience with them.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9047401

It is a winter squash,grow the same way you grow a pumpkin, hubbard or butternut. They will grow as far north as Canada, so you should not have a problem other than squash vine borers.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9047598

thanks. I hope this works. it would be a great addition to my diet.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9047887

Here in Phoenix, I grow these in spring/summer. Not sure your elevation in Lake Toxaway, but if you're cooler temps fall/winter may be better.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9049198

I've grown them in N. GA. Our altitude is higher and temps cooler than yours. My advice is, if you are looking to eat it regularly, space your plantings. You will have to harden off the fruits which will put extra time between harvest and eating. You should be able to plant from the time you would plant summer squash until the last planting date for winter squash. They don't hold as well as other winter squashes so don't plan on a big single harvest to get you through winter.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9049310

Ive grown it here and plan on growing it again this year. I had such high yields I didn't know what to do with all of it. What's strange is that I seem to have trouble with the SBV on summer (bush) squash but never noticed it on the vining cultivators.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9049614

My altititude is about 3,100 feet with highs in the 80s in the summer and lows in the 50s and 60s. So not too much air conditioning used here although that could change this year.

I also have a cultivar that came out new last year called Princella Squash. I wonder what it's like. And I have a few seeds of a Turban Squash but again have no idea what they taste like. This is workin out to be research summer.
Janiejoy
Silver Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9058121

We love spaghetti squash and cook/use it many ways!

I am in Ohio and it grows just fine for me. Should be awesome for you. I'm zone 6a, recently upgraded from 5b.

Lots of ways to enjoy these. Turban squash is delicious baked, or boiled and mashed or made into soup. Sweeter than butternuts with a unique flavor and beautiful color. :) Keeps in winter a long time, too, I believe.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America