Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: It's Brugmansia time.....let's see your beauties.

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 188, Views: 1,323
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 18, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9047547

Now is the best time for our Brugmansias, the weather is gentle with cool nights...so we can expect lots of beautiful flowers to be posted...Hopefully we will have some first timers join us and let us see what they are growing.
The last thread was very long, but the many discussions that were had, made it very interesting.
Thanks to all..

Well, the Pink Panther fasciation has finally flowered...and here it is at 7 this morning...

We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1244825/

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 18, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9047554

Amazing! I counted 10 tendrils--it reminds me of one of those cacti that flare open for only one night a year!
Superb!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 18, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9047557

Dianne, that fasciation has certainly been fascinating.
Love that flower. Looks like a giant starfish.
Any pollen ? You must try crossing it and growing the piece itself.
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 18, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9047559

Oh Dianne how spectacular. Congratulations it is soooooo beautiful for words. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 18, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9047567

Yes it's here at last...and with 2 stigma...I can't see what is happening with the anthers, so I will look again later...there are another 2 flowers to open...I must admit I love the look from underneath...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger
Click an image for an enlarged view.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 18, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9047570

Two stigma--so maybe conjoined twins :-)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 18, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9047585

I'm wondering about the ovary?
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 18, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9047597

Perhaps the ovaries have fused into one, like the flower itself?
Pollinate each stigma and see what happens ...? Can't see what else you could do.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 18, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9047611

Dianne, watch out for a ginormous pod from that starfish .
Jean

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 18, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9047617

Dianne you must enter that in the Calender entry at BGI it is spectacular ...like some way out hippy trip positively Psychedelic !

☀...IT'S MAGIC... ☀☀
♫ .♥.•* ☀¨`*•♫.•´*.¸☀.•´♥
┊ ┊┊ ┊☀┊ ┊ ┊┊ ☀ه
ه┊ ☀ ┊ ┊ ི♥ྀ
☀ ┊┊ ☀ه
ه┊ ☀!!!

Yes pollinate both ...Good luck and thanks so much for allowing us to see your very special magical Angel. :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 18, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9047626

Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could get a cutting from that Magical part of the plant and get it to grow !!!!
It may retain the trait ...oh the excitement !
Gotta love that Pink Panther ི♥ྀ ི♥ྀ ི♥ྀ
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9047628

Dianne this is so beautiful just wish we could bottle it on 1 plant CROSS IT CROss it it could be the 1 you have been looking for !!!!!!!!!!!

the 2 styles can be a good thing and they probably will be fused as Cestrum mentioned to the Ovary buy wont know for a while, till at least the flower falls,

the color in the star is stunning and you mentioned you have 2 more to open also wow,,
Do you think there could be more on the way out of the fasciation ???????

I would also collect the pollen as it could have a key in it from the fasciation??? it DNA could be mutated and be interesting to see what the crosses with it being pollen parent, but also doing crosses with normal PP pollen also to see the difference in seedling form shape & then flower shape form, color ect!

in case you missed my Culebra flowers

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 18, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9047634

All this excitement in an Aussie forum ...sooooo proud,
High Five Dianne and Shaun, what an amazing start to the Autumn parade, that will do me :-)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 18, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9047688

I certainly did not miss your Culebra flowers, Shaun...they are wonderful...

I will try to save the PP pollen when it's ready...and try to pollinate it as well.
I've given the pollen donor to this plant a lot of thought and I've decided to use Colleen's Frosty Pink..

When I thought about what I would want to retain from the PP flower, it's the size and maybe some extra corolla teeth...so an Aurea probably would make it smaller...that's out
Would it improve a double?...it would probably make the inner corolla more susceptible to heat by increasing the size...all of this is conjecture of course...it may not even set a pod...

RFP is a big beautiful open flower that does everything right, all it needs are some longer teeth...
If the pollen takes it may turn out that way...
I know everyone will have a different idea...this is a very hard decision...
Give me your thoughts please.

This message was edited Mar 19, 2012 9:35 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 18, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9047700

What pollens do you have available ? Dianne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 18, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9047703

It may be too late to pollinate that open one (try anyway) because the sticky bit may be dry, however PP seems to set donor pods quite easily so it may have been done already. So if you want a specific cross you may have to cut into one of the other f.PP blooms in order to do the deed as planned.

chrissy
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 18, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9047714

Dianne, thank you for considering RFP. It really is a beauty. What about Bruce's Pink? That is a beautiful large flower and the colour is magic too. Lipstick is large and a lovely colour too. Even OSA is lovely. Oh what am I raving on about they're all beautiful. lol Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 18, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9047719

Hmmmm, I'm not a good person to ask--I'd just go with whatever has the best/fluffiest looking pollen to give that amazon-of-a-flower the best chance of setting a pod :-)
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9047726

and id just pollinate every thing in site till i have no pollen left hahhahaha

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 18, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9047727

That would be my thought too cestrum ...we can't always pick and choose because sometimes the Brugs you would like to use for crossing are not ready, hence saving pollen.
That is why I asked which ones may be ready to use.
Whatever it is hopefully the trait will be carried forward.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 18, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9047740

PS Who was it who gave me that tip--to spritz the stigma/s with a little water to increase its stickiness. Probably a good idea here.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9047749

i also read that sugar water also help in the tranferance of pollen & longiverty of the stigma tip
this is a great idea that i think Pat or Edna had tried and used on a number of occasions

SO is any 1 going to Alistair's Book Launch in Melbourne
I have just made a reservation for it myself
hope 2 see you there?

This message was edited Mar 19, 2012 10:26 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 18, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9047756

No, but say G'day for me ...a bit far for me. It should be a great day though, can't wait to hear your book review.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 18, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9047793

Bit a trek for me too :-) Although I'll definitely be buying the book--can't wait!
But, even if none of us can go, think of how many brugmaniacs you'll be able to meet there LOL
Sugar water, eh? (Just a bit of ordinary sugar dissolved in water, I'm guessing, otherwise it would be called ... honey water? Or molasses water? Or maple-syrup water!) I'll have to make a note of that.
BTW Shaun, have you been to Grandma's Garden brugmansia page on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.133337066689194.16533.118201654869402&type=1&_fb_noscript=1
Not too shabby at all for a local grower ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 18, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9047837

cestrum don't tell me you have ventured into FB ...I was offered many of those Angels about the time of Fire Fighter Angel, I didn't want to swap FFA then because I wanted to trial it, I note that those pictures are at least three years old, I wonder if the plants have done well since then. You should go buy some of the best ones for your breeding program. She would probably exchange with you if you asked.All I can remember about the Seedling parent of the doubles shown, was that she was a dog breeder, a nice lady. The seller at Grandma's garden is not the same lady I don't think. She sounds nice too from the FB page.
So those plants have been around for longer than when I first started playing with new Angels, funny that we haven't seen them anywhere. I wonder what the story is there.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 18, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9047849

Chrissy, I found Grandma's Garden Facebook page after Alistair wanted to contact the brug seller I found at the local gardening festival, Wanda Hirth, who is the said 'grandma' from that page. But I'm not a Facebooker--she's set up her page so that you don't have to be'friend' her to see the brug photos on her page.
I will not, I will not, I will not join Facebook! (Or Twitter.) OK, off my soapbox and back to brugs.
Definitely don't want to buy any brugs--have my hands full with what I've got already--I can't exploit the genetic potential of all my brugs as it is.
No word from Dianne--she's probably out with a magnifying glass and spray bottle, tremulous hands, painstakingly pollinating that magnificent flower :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 18, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9047850

Did you see the lovely colour on Dwarf Pink and Green ?
Big difference to the colour in more temperate climate, don't you think ?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=366724250017140&set=a.133337066689194.16533.118201654869402&type=1&theater

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 18, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9047856

Well it's good you can go look at some stuff there.
Yes poor Dianne , my hands would be trembling too.
It's fantastic, imagine if you could capture that trait ...wow, it would out do Butter Bomb.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 18, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9047861

I've admired that pink aurea from the outset, and I'm hoping one day to be able to breed my own version of it.
Like you, Chrissy, I want my *own* LOL
But I thought it looked pretty dark in Shaun's photos too. And what do you mean by 'temperate'--she's in Qld!
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

March 18, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9047863

My new picture went on the old forum, but I was on the new, o well.here is under Big Y.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 18, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9047866

I meant Shaun is in a temperate area ...his DP&G is a pearly pink, lighter, you know the way mine go in cool temperatures (well some of them anyway).

Hi Gena you found us :)
Lovely picture !

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9047870

Grandma is a stunning a-ray of brug's this could have been me if not for you guys lost in the miriad of pages hiden away from the real collectors and breeders

the DP&G can get that deep in Melbourne also Cestrum i think that chrissy was staiting Temperate as in Melbourne
Some of Grandma's colors & forms are very amazing and she is a hidden gem

I will also have Alistair's book but ill also get him to sign it then i have to chace down the other 2 to sign it some time haahah like thats going to happem
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9047872

Cestrum did you see Snow cone on gramma's page????

Edit: it looks like it would be a great cross with Dr Seuss as i can see the bloom is similar but not mmmmmmm

This message was edited Mar 19, 2012 12:08 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 18, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9047874

Shaun, how is your FFA cutting going--any sign of roots/leaves?
On 10 Feb I used the loppers to cut down a bloom from my inground FFA and cut off two pieces of the stem tip in the process. Couldn't bring myself to throw them away, even though they were small, green and the worst possible sort of material for cuttings--almost every green cutting I've tried taking from a brug has failed, except possibly the suaveolens--so I plonked them into this plastic cup and put them into one of the mini-greenhouses. The only special effort I made was to take the cup out every time I watered the other plants in that g/h because my biggest problem with cuttings is overwatering. And look now, 5.5 weeks later--they both have new leaves and some roots! Early days yet and I could still easily kill them via over/underwatering, but it's still pretty satisfying.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 18, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9047879

You will be the first to see it out of our group so I would love a review, I will be buying it too of course.
Guess it will be hard for Alistair to leave his new coffee plantation over the pond to come back here to launch his book, looks like he has found the garden of Eden over there, imagine living where Brug originally came from ...a dream come true.
Not my dream it looks way too hot but the beautiful building and surroundings are just gorgeous ! from that to Melbourne ...quite a difference.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9047883

Just Planted it with 1 1/2 inch roots all but Dr Seuss are in and doing well
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 18, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9047891

That white of Gena's is flowering beautifully--has anyone haphazarded a guess as to what its parentage might be? (I'm assuming it's an unnamed seedling.)
Shaun, all the brugs on her page are pretty terrific. I was rather taken with the delicacy of Dizzy Spin; its lemon colour would be a great starting point for another yellow-ish double brug I would think.
BTW, she has a photo of Dombeya ianthotricha: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2638056503520&set=o.118201654869402&type=3&theater Although I can't tell if it's her photo or Noel's.
Must go, I'm late already.

This message was edited Mar 19, 2012 11:18 AM
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9047896

not wrong but there are holiday trips that can be as short as 1 week to seed a bit of what Alistair is creating over there
i would love to get there and check out all those brugs hanging around and the variety would make me piss my pants with excitement
and yes it would be a world away

I do plan of heading to South America for a holiday in the future and have mentioned that if i die there (Hope not) just leave me there cos id feel as 1 with the would of what i have loved for over 20years not just Brugmansia but the SOLANACEAE is majority in South America WOW die to see
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 18, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9047902

Quickly ... isn't cestrum part of the Solanaceae group Shaun?? Because I've just posted photos of two cestrums in the other thread.
OK, now I really HAVE to go

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 18, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9047913

That's great cestrum, I found FFA to be a very strong grower (I have rooted cuttings for relatives) so it's good to see it growing easily for you.
Yes over watering kills more cuttings than anything else.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 18, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9047936

Hope you get there then Shaun, yes perhaps that is what Alistair plans, a place for tropic nuts to go for holidays. Sounds great. I wonder if he will get in any of those critters that eat and then poop out the coffee beans ...he can offer the World's most expensive coffee to his guests. :)

I love tropical plants but not the tropics ...speaking of which cestrum that ginger you gave me was very intense after the sprinkling of rain yesterday at dusk ...it had a fragrance of gardenia with lemon blossom mixed in with it. Delicious and a second bloom too.
I love it :) thanks again
The tradies just rang my hubbie ...maybe tomorrow depending on the rain *sigh* but who could be upset on such a day where we witnessed a ten tendriled PP and a possible pollination of a Culebra bloom - cheers everyone ! :-)

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9048014

that coffee is from Java it's worth $50 a cup and i think its a monkey or bird not sure but i remember trying to hunt it down for a coffee a few years ago

Cestrum Yes Cestrum is in the Solanaceae

I do think that Alistair is making a reserve also to try keep some of those endangered plant in for prosperity

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 18, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9048049

cestrum_SEQ wrote:PS Who was it who gave me that tip--to spritz the stigma/s with a little water to increase its stickiness. Probably a good idea here.

That was me and I got it from BGI...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 18, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9048056

Well done on getting those green cuttings to grow, cestrum...they have a little hydroponic type grower in Europe, that is catching on for bulk cuttings...just little green pieces and they grow like weeds...

Where to start...well I used the RFP pollen on the PP flower early this morning...you can hardly see the stigma for pollen.
I didn't need to wet the stigma, cestrum...it was receptive...my hand didn't shake, but it will when I try to collect the pollen...it's very warm now so I will wait until it gets cooler...

I will use Bruce's Pink pollen for the next one, there will be some more flowers opening soon...the current ones didn't have any pollen this morning...I want to keep the size...so they are the 2 obvious choices as pollen donors...but with the pollen, as the popular consensus says dust everything, that's what I will do..

I am so relieved that it got to mature...unfortunately all of the new growth coming from the fasciated part is normal...so the fasciation in this particular instance is only temporary... taking a cutting would only produce
normal growth. I will just leave it to grow as the rest of PP is growing...but I will keep an eye on it.

Last year when my Daphne grew a fasciated bit, I cut it off and brought it inside because it was a massive flower head...next time I'll leave it to grow.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 18, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9048072

Go Dianne...you little busy bee..you

Jean
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9048080

Welcome home Jean, haven't seen you in a while,
yes go girl Pollinate every thing in site

i have just been out pollinating Tantra with DP&G, FP, EP, Knightii i already have 1 pod of tantra x.EP so i hope ill get a few other crosses out of this lot

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 18, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9048098

Dust away ...dust away ...perfect time for dusting away as the nights start to cool a bit, not that they have been as hot as usual,
who knows what miracles that magic dust will work in the Brug garden. :-)

Here it is Shaun -it's a cat poo or a relative of the civet.
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-03-civet-cat-dung-secret-indonesia.html
I was just joking, but after all it is a coffee plantation and I think it will be a working one from the way I read it.
(yay my dishwasher has arrived and been installed.) The dishwasher fella went in through the back door, a genius !
Just the above cupboard bits to go in now ...whew !
What a fab day it has been.
Except for the sky looking ominous again.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 18, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9048113

Yep off with the puter here it comes again, I can't see the Blue Mountains anymore ...the storm is coming in again.
Bye bye ... Happy dusting and well done Dianne.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 18, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9048130

I'm always here Shaun. Just quiet until my brugs flower..lol

I am watching Dianne, prancing around with her paint brush.. Talk about tip toe through the tulips... she is flitting through the brugs...

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 18, 2012
11:42 PM

Post #9048166

Lovely pics, Gena...upload them over here...did you get your seeds to grow?

Shaun, I have visions of you tramping thru the South American jungle with a safari hat on and a pair of binoculars...
You do have other clothes on too but they don't feature like the safari hat and the binoculars.
You are looking for the elusive Vulcanicola or the secretive one that starts with S, it's so secretive, that I've forgotten it's name...
Just don't drink any of the local joy joice, it's probably made from Brugmansias..
Keep trying with those Culebras...

I am going outside soon with the tweezers, the vials and the glasses...definitely the glasses...
Wish me luck.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 19, 2012
1:18 AM

Post #9048185

There were 10 anthers in the flower...not a great deal of pollen on each...
So if the next flower is ok, there should be enough pollen for everyone to try it on their choice..
All being well, I will store a couple and send a little pollen to whomever wants some.
Remember it's only going to be a tiny bit.
Dmail please...so I don't forget who asked.

Colleen, good news, the RFP x Angioletto seeds have matured...
The pod was only 3ins long and I thought that it had gone rotten...when I took the top off all the seeds just fell out...I pollinated it on the 3rd of Jan..
There are seeds in there, I checked...hope they are ok...
When they dry I will send them with the others.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2012
1:42 AM

Post #9048191

Hay there Dianne it is a bit of a shame there is not a lot of pollen on those anthers for you to do with your self im sure every one will be interested in it,

The seed have matured very rapidly and to be viable is even better it must be the weather we are having that is doing this to all out pods

Colleen thanks for the Image of what id look like but i thought it would not look like that but the binoculars and camera with many batteries and sd-cads to be filled up only looking for those plants all plants probably wont get feather then 100 meters from the hut hahahahahaha

talking about some thing not far away
Please every body welcome Brugmansia aurea (Hull Rd) the flower has opened and the tendrils are almost 2inches long this is considerably longer then all the other aurea

Edit::: took pics of the calyx as chrissy likes

This message was edited Mar 19, 2012 7:43 PM

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 19, 2012
2:12 AM

Post #9048194

Very nice backswept tendrils, Shaun...does it have the usual Aurea perfume?.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2012
2:17 AM

Post #9048196

it dose have an aurea fragrance but to tell the difference i need chrissy's nose, Mine dont do so well hahah
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 19, 2012
2:36 AM

Post #9048203

Dianne can't wait for the RFPxA thank you. I'll give the PP pollen a miss thanks. Let the people who really know what they're doing have it. I hope the fasciation carries on. It's so beautiful. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 19, 2012
3:46 AM

Post #9048230

Shaun it is lovely ...what parents do you know ?

Dianne your first seeds ? Congratulations !

It's all happening !

The storm sailed right past but we are supposed to get rain so we will see what happens.

All this excitement has worn me out, going to have an early night for a change,a rare thing here,
I must be getting old :-) (not to mention trying to work out how to use the new gizmos in my kitchen )

Congratulations everyone ! I go to bed with a smile on my face tonight ...I am so happy.
thanks everyone for the joy and excitement you have shared with us this day.
Lots of Bruggy hugs !!!

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 19, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9049101

What a lovely aurea, Shaun--cute little flower with such long tendrils! You don't have to ask if this is one of the named aureas already in our gardens because it is demonstrably different. What a little treasure! (I wonder if it will produce those egg-shaped seedpods typical of brugs with a lot of aurea in them, or those slightly longer ones typical of candidas? I'm assuming you will be breeding from it, of course--how could you not LOL)

Well done, Dianne: it seems that Pink Panther will make a good breeding brug even without that magnificent flower on it. With that flower ... who knows if it carries some genetic quirk? You'll know in a couple of years :-)

Another quick-maturing pod, Dianne? Hope they grow for you ...

Meanwhile, the blooms have started in my garden. Here is the second flush on Pink Smitty x Dorthea#2. A lot of brugs look esp. beautiful when seen from underneath, as it highlights that lovely starfish-shaped quality. (Of which yours, Dianne, is a supreme example.) Not this one, though. It's one of those that looks better when viewed from above. The flowers opened overnight and are already a good pink, but should get darker over the next day or two. Last time they opened white, so I guess the warmer temps have pushed the blooms thru the white phase faster. Funny thing is that this brug is growing in the bed under the old clothesline, within a metre of that seedling that has been dropping its buds since late winter/early spring. (And they appear to be singles.) Very odd brug, that bud dropper, and I suspect it won't be worth the wait when it finally brings a bud to flower. Meanwhile, another overseas seedling is about to flower for the first time and I'll be shocked if it's anything but pink ...

Don't really understand that info about Alistair other than that he's bought(?) land in South America(?) where he intends to grow brugs, other exotics (to us) and coffee(?) ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 19, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9049110

Lovely to see all the flowers. Just been out to check on mine. Its very windy here so I am hoping things dont fall off.
I am having no luck with pollinating here at the moment.
Either I am not doing it right or the pollen is not good or maybe the flowers are not really ready .
I'll keep trying. I did it before so it will work eventually.

Shaun, love the longer tendrils on that aurea.
I do like your culebra flowers too.

Dianne, I am curious to see what your starfish is going to do . I hope the pollen takes.

Cestrum , if you are looking in, I have a bud on your little Big Floppy cutting.

Better get myself going and do the watering . Not nice outside with the strong winds and the sun getting warmer.

Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 19, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9049116

Wind might be drying out the pollen, Jean.
Great news about BFA, even though it's not the kind of brug you like :-) (Maybe a good one to breed with aureas, to add waxiness to the blooms?) I was outside yesterday at dusk and the scent from BFA, which is now dripping in blooms, was quite intense. (Typical brug fragrance, like Old Apricot.) Here's a cluster of blooms this morning.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 19, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9049120

Cestrum, i don't know the details but on BGI, Alistair mentioned that he had a coffee plantation in Colombia, I think it was and that he had obtained some new pink Aureas and had planted them on the property..
I think he has a FB page...lol.
Chrissy will know more...

Let's hope your new seedling IS anything but pink...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 19, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9049141

Seachanger wrote:Cestrum, i don't know the details but on BGI, Alistair mentioned that he had a coffee plantation in Colombia, I think it was and that he had obtained some new pink Aureas and had planted them on the property..

The stuff of dreams (sigh) ...

This message was edited Mar 20, 2012 7:51 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 19, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9049142

What's wrong with pink :)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 19, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9049146

chrissy100 wrote:What's wrong with pink :)

Well, I still think it's better than white LOL With parents Salmon Perfektion x Dorthea, can they be anything other than pink :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 19, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9049154

Yes I agree Alistair is living a dream. I am sure one day Shaun will go visit, and tell us all about it.
Yes it's all there on FB, he has found an Elephant 's Ear (plant) the size of a house just about ! it must be amazing but it must be steamy hot there, (not my thing). He has shown us so many rare and exotic things, just glorious.

That is a pretty thing cestrum, I think we may all have lots of those pretty pinks, I don't have a problem with lots of pinks.
Or yellows or any colours in fact.
It's white that is the rare one in my garden- kind of funny.
I am working on the whites :-) now.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 19, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9049157

What is Alistair's FB page?
Do you have to 'friend' him to see the photos?

PS No, I don't dislike pinks either ... it's just that I don't think that cross has the chance of being anything but pink LOL Hope it's scented ...

This message was edited Mar 20, 2012 8:03 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 19, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9049176

Sounds like it will be lovely ...I have to go do some work for hubby.

I will link it (Alistair's Page)when I come back , but I think you have to be a friend to see it, not sure.
I have an idea that you can only see the commercial pages without being a member unless the person has hit the public button.
Mine is public, but I don't know if that means you need to be a member to see it or not. If you do not want other than your "friends" to see your stuff you don't hit the public button. As I understand it anyway :-)

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 19, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9049452

Came back for lunch ...let's see if you can access this

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.496262622369.275740.529997369&type=1

It's one of Alistairs Albums

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 19, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9049513

I couldn't see it Chrissy..so I asked Alistair to friend me...he's friending a few people so hopefully he won't mind one more...I would like to follow his progress in Colombia.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 19, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9049516

Can't get to it, can't even find the right AH page on FB.
Never mind; I hate the idea of being part of one of those "500 million users" that FB keeps bragging about ...
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9049537

Cestrum haha it's 800 million on FB
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 19, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9049546

800 million minus 1 :-)
So, what plans do you have for that long-tendrilled aurea of yours, Shaun? Anything in particular you plan on crossing it with? Or, like me, will you just choose from what's available? BTW, where is this "Hull Rd"--is it from one of the brug gardeners you befriended in *real* life?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 19, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9049567

Ok I have shared it to my FB page that may let you see it Dianne (not sure how that works)
http://www.facebook.com/chris.tonitto

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 19, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9049595

Nope, can't find the link on your page Chrissy...
What is the white Brug you are using on FB...very nice..

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 19, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9049643

He must have it limited to "friends" proves that the privacy thingo works I guess. Understandable considering his beautiful pictures are so very special.

Do you mean this one ? It's just a lovely knightii ...I like to show an individual Brugmansia in all of it's glory, I felt it a very special shot ...happy and Summery.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

March 19, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9049644

My Fernando blooming today. The skirts on the blooms are quite widely spaced. In the cooler weather they should be closer together.
Dianne.. I love your PP 'freak' !! Does anyone know if hybridizing with these special blooms is likely to produce progeny more prone to the fasciation effect?
Allan

Thumbnail by boolarong204

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 19, 2012

Post #9049653

Oh happy day Allan, mine is getting close, it may be a race twixt Dianne's, Wayne's and mine ...the cooler weather must hold the key, our night temps are starting to drop ...you can see the buds getting bigger every day.
Must be a German cross :-) ...(joking)

Congratulations on that big flush ! Love to see a closer shot if you can. Thanks for showing us and sharing with us your pride and joy. Would you mind if I use the pollen on my babies once Fernando blooms here ?

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 19, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9049658

oops I forgot to answer re the trait being carried on in future generations, all I can say is that Dianne is the first one to ever show us this on a Brugmansia in the many years we have talked brug talk, so I don't know the answer to that.
Certain ones seem to carry the multi tendril trait ie Butter Bomb, so if that is something you like I would use him in your breeding program we are getting(mostly) lovely yellows using him so far so it isn't a waste of time, everyone seems to love the yellows.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 19, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9049663

Fernando is looking a treat, Allan--what a magnificent flush of glorious blooms!
Hope you've got him planted safely behind a (locked) gate :-)
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

March 20, 2012
12:16 AM

Post #9049693

Fernando is beutiful

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 20, 2012
12:40 AM

Post #9049698

Hi Allan...great to see Fernando in full flush...
A promise of things to come in our gardens hopefully...he has been very stubborn...such a tease.

As far as passing on any traits ..."nobody knows nuthin"...
I know it's a double negative, but it's appropriate.
Someone, somewhere must have grown out a flower in a similar situation, and followed it's progress.
Maybe not a Brugmansia...but surely another genus.

It would be nice to know what to look for and expect..
No one has put forward any info and I couldn't find anything relevent on the web, so the journey continues.

Isn't it a stunner from this angle...

This message was edited Mar 20, 2012 6:44 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 20, 2012
1:29 AM

Post #9049708

Dianne the Cereus monstrose does occassionally grow normal but Brian said to break those pieces off. It doesn't always have a monstrose flower, but I know Brian did have one on his. Mine have all looked normal that I've seen. You have to remember to get up early and have a look and take a pic. We never really examined the flower and I don't know if he took a pic but will ask his daughter if she can have a look. There are lots of different monstrose and cristate cacti so It probably isn't wrong in thinking that a lot of other plants have the deformity as well. I will take some pics of my cactus for you to see.Colleen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 20, 2012
1:53 AM

Post #9049712

Here's the pics of the monstrose and cristate cacti Dianne. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2012
2:14 AM

Post #9049723

Hi again Alan, nice to see you around, Love Fernando looking really good in your garden.

Cestrum i have no idea of what to cross aurea(hull Rd) with ill try all the aurea's first and then see what i can do about the others, this is an approach i follow just pollinate every thing and watch them either get a pod or not to start

Hull RD is the road that i found this plant on so like aurea (Macedon) i have coined it (hull rd) so i don't get confused with all the other aurea's that i have. I do not know the family tree with this plant!

What is Fernando's heritage???

here is a pic of the aurea this afternoon Chrissy

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

March 20, 2012
2:15 AM

Post #9049724

Congratulations on that big flush ! Love to see a closer shot if you can. Thanks for showing us and sharing with us your pride and joy. Would you mind if I use the pollen on my babies once Fernando blooms here ?

chrissy[/quote]

Chrissy.. I do not believe anyone can have exclusive right on pollen use. With Fernando, I have no objections to you(or anyone else who has it) doing what you want with it. Share it, sell or swap it as much as you want. It is not restricted in any way!!
Allan..

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

March 20, 2012
2:25 AM

Post #9049726

Shaun... Fernando's parents are Pink Perfektion X Adeline. It was grown from seed imported from the USA.
Allan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 20, 2012
2:28 AM

Post #9049727

That is very generous of you Allan. I am sure Fernando will add great genes to our breeding programs.
I am sure you will shine as a Brug hybridiser in our Australian Brugmansia journey. It's all looking very promising.
I hear you are a great talent with the Hibiscus breeding, so use your magic on the Brugs :-)

Hmmm Shaun there goes another 6 pointer ...interesting isn't it ?
it's lovely. I wonder how many of these are around the place that we don't know of.
Looks like it wants it's colour to deepen.
Lovely. We will have to call you the Sherlock Holmes of Brugs :-)

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 20, 2012
2:40 AM

Post #9049731

colleen sorry I get so excited over the Brugs, I forgot to say that those shots are very interesting.
I had a Senna tree do it once and instead of the bloom havinghaving a candle shape it turned out like a fan of yellow popcorn on the edge of a fan shaped branch tip. The tree was removed by hubby so I don't know the end result. It was very weird looking but interesting.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2012
3:00 AM

Post #9049735

if you are really interested in these type of thing like Mutants i read many years ago that X-ray & Microwaves alter the DNA or RNA of the plants cells this will give it a unusual form not know to the variety or even genus

I have also been told that Colchicine is another mutant forming agent that will make plant, flowers larger and different in some way im not 100% sure about it but it is best done in Tissue culture

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 20, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9049787

Very interesting pics, Colleen...thanks for those...there is probably one of Brian's pics around somewhere.

Hull rd, is a pretty Aurea Shaun, with those sun kissed colours...how many do you have now?
By the way, it was me who had you geared up for the jungle and the Brug that I couldn't think of was Insignis...I knew there was an S in there somewhere.

I prefer my mutations to occur naturally, like my Daphnes do almost every other year...this time I will let them grow out as well...

This weather is doing some weird things to plants...my deciduous Magnolia has just finished flowering and today there is blossom on my Cherry tree.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 20, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9049792

Allan, I forgot to add, if Fernando drops the skirts like that here, I will be ecstatic...fingers crossed.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 20, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9050418

A nice drop of rain last night so the brugs are loving it. I see buds coming on lots of them. I just hope they all grow quickly so I can post lovely flowers too.
Shaun, thats a cute aurea. I love them all.
Fernando is beautiful . I would like to have the dropped skirts on my knightiis.
Jean
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9050451

Dianne sorrt about the jungel i also get confused
i now have 6-7 aurea's and you can see them all onBGI
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/topic/22988-aurea-hull-rd

Jean as soon as it's big enough i will send you a cutting as well as Barkley st

This is Hull rd this morning very intense

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 20, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9050525

That aurea has darkened beautifully, Shaun. I'm guessing it might be a clear yellow in summer and that rich orange in cooler weather.

Allan, what happened to that other double pink you grew out from the same cross? This one: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8098125

This message was edited Mar 21, 2012 8:58 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9050527

Cestrum you were asking about what to cross it with.
Im thinking that i will do a program of aurea X. and cross it back again and again tili i have some thing so amazing well i hope

do you think that is silly or is it viable with possibilities ????
please input?
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 20, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9050537

How silly, Shaun? Not silly at all! I like the idea of bringing the aurea out in it--crossing it with your dwarf pink, maybe? I'd also like it with your Dr Seuss, but only because I like Dr S anyway so don't have any other reason for choosing it.( On second thought, this might produce even more spectacular tendrils.) I'm wondering what would happen if you were to cross it with a similar seasonal yellow/gold brug--could you get something interesting (e.g. even more petite blooms) or something almost identical? I don't know!
Other people might have more coherent ideas ...
Just try and keep a record of each cross--one type from each cultivar (i.e. don't use pollen from two or more different brugs on one flower)--so that you have a record of what the cross is. I've found that these days I'm keener to know the heritage of a brug than I used to be (before, it was enough that the seedling was pretty; now I want to know who its parents were LOL). You might find yourself feeling the same way ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 20, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9050553

It's beautiful Shaun, what is your goal.
If it is to enlarge your Aurea collection then cross Aureas to Aureas.

If it is to make coloured Brugs then injecting Aurea genes into coloured Brugs would not be a bad thing to do.
ie Aurea and Versicolor to produce plants that don't mind heat.

Work towards whatever your goal is. It will be so interesting to see what everyone is wanting as a goal,

What is your desire everyone ? any special dream Brugs anyone is aiming for ?
You know I want a perfect white single with stunning Angelic curly tendrils or a beautiful double white very similar to TT.

What would you love to make ?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 20, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9050565

Shaun, what about using some of Ivoire's pollen, it's pouring at the moment...so I can't check if there are new flowers opening up...
Remember Ivoire isn't white, it's cream and it has the pink from Sugar Pink it's pod parent and it's pollen parent Zabaglione has a pink pod parent in Dark Rosetta and an apricot pollen parent in Apricot Queen...
So you have cream, pink and apricot, plus your Aurea's colour..
Sound interesting?

Edited to say that I checked and there are 2 just opening...

Chrissy, at the moment it's my own pink Aurea...just like Ivoire, only pink...pink panther pink...with all the long curly whirlys
from both of them...gorgeous...
Nearly forgot to add, the Ivoire pod is still like velvet to touch...it's about 2ins long.

This message was edited Mar 21, 2012 10:56 AM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 20, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9050592

Shaun, how do you save your pollen?...I know that you have a fridge for it, but what do you do beforehand..
I feel that drying it with the silica gel, seems to dehydrate it to the point of it disappearing...
So I would like to know what everyone does...
Allan if you drop in, could we have your input too?...
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

March 20, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9050634

Cestrum... The pink (same cross as Fernando) was one which I had high hopes for. It almost always bloomed as a triple but was a little smaller than Fernando but the bush was prone to mites. I had a real problem some time back and it was impossible to eradicate mites from this particular bush. For the sake of my other brugs(not that I now have many) I dug it out. Since then no mite problems.

Dianne.. with my hibiscus hybridizing I save pollen on small brushes(named with masking tape) and place in a small airtight container which is then placed in the crisper section of the fridge. I do not dry the pollen! I have found that the hibiscus pollen kept this way is viable for up to approx 8 days. I imagine that brug pollen could be stored in a similar way. I will give it a go.
Allan

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 20, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9050704

Thanks Allan,
I will be interested to know how long it is viable without special treatment...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4tsJwjppsA ...
Here is the video that BGI uses...I have been saving pollen this way until I realised that it wasn't suitable for the small amounts...
In the case of scant pollen, I think that the gel is too severe to leave for any length of time...so I'll only leave the anthers in gel for a short time in future, unless they have a lot of pollen...

I have had various pollens in the freezer since early January, as suggested by BGI and it's still fluffy..but those sticks were loaded with pollen...
I will leave it in the freezer and then test it next spring...

I was interested to know what everyone else does and what's the oldest dried pollen you have used...
I don't know anyone who has used OS pollen and had success...

This message was edited Mar 21, 2012 12:30 PM
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9050728

Cestrum & Chrissy. doing a aurea x. mix to create a perfect yellow that dose not change in different weather with a high gloss and very long tendrils would be great but hay another plant will do hahahah
But ill cross every thing with any thing, I did try Datura Lafleur lilac X.Brugmansia suaveolens 'White ruff' hahahha failed

The perfect flower would be a double or triple with white top 2 skirt and a bleeding heart Blood Red) 3rd skirt but not fully developed would be when i stop growing or collecting Brugmansia

Dianne i pick my anthers before the flower is fully opened but the pollen being fluffy or i Tie them up so that they don't get infected with other pollen (see pic attached) which makes them more fluffy, i also put them on a sheet of paper named and folede placed in a sealed container with silica gel Tablets which i bought about 4years ago from china, but i also use the packs from vitamin and medicine containers which i put in the vials in to to dry out a bit more before storing in the fridge

Colleen we cant get OS pollen in Australia as i know some people that have tries

This message was edited Mar 21, 2012 12:51 PM

Thumbnail by SolMan

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 20, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9050803

Thanks for that info re Fernando's sibling, Allan--what an interesting difference re susceptibility to mites in siblings.
Have just 2 things to add re pollen:
(1) I did receive pollen from BGI last year but it turns out, from subsequent events (i.e. other people ordering pollen and having customs confiscate it) that the seed rules do NOT apply to pollen and therefore you CANNOT legally import it (without following the onerous requirements that apply to plants, I assume). Mine was mistakenly allowed in.
(2) I'm not sure if I got one pod to take using one vial of that imported pollen because the wretched tag fell off the bloom but I found a suaveolens pod forming near where I found the fallen tag. As my suaveolens generally don't set pods unless manually pollinated, I thought it *might* have been from that imported pollen but cannot be sure. Apart from that, I have had abysmal success (i.e. failures) with stored pollen, whether from overseas or my own, and so don't bother anymore. However, that doesn't mean that everyone else can't be successful, just that I don't have any helpful info to contribute.
Oh, what would I like in a brug? All of the above ... except maybe the perfect white LOL
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 20, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9050840

Shaun, if you go to the BGI database at http://www.brugmansia.us/cultivars/searchform.html and choose 'Yellow' for flower colour and 'Warm' for species group, you'll see all the yellow brugs on the database. Might give you some ideas about how to best get that year-round yellow (although you can't tell from that database whether the yellow is year round or seasonal). Most of those brugs aren't available in Australia, but you might be able to get seeds--either of the yellow brug itself, or its parents (I don't know which approach is likely to be more successful, the brug itself or its parents)--and some, like Aztec Gold and your own Dr Seuss, are.
I think you'd be remiss to leave out Pink Panther in your search for yellow, as I've read time and again that it carries yellow genes which often show up in its seedlings. (I don't have it, BTW.)

This message was edited Mar 21, 2012 1:26 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 20, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9050848

It's very hard to tell people from OS that you can't accept the offer of free pollen...but it has to go in the too hard basket along with Vulcanicolas and such...

Not to worry, I have supreme confidence in the future Brugmansias we will hybridize along with the ones we already have...
Who would have thought that a big strong Aurea hybrid like Ivoire would come from a cross between Sugar Pink and Zabaglione...2 more delicate hybrids...

We are really starting to produce some lovely types...mine are mostly white doubles and cestrums are mostly
pink doubles, but everyone else is doing fine with different colours becoming the norm now..eg Jean's Opale Etoile...can't wait to see a second flush...

Now that Allan's Fernando has decided to honour us with it's presence, well almost, it's pollen will be so useful...
We could do with a few more yellows and this season's crop of new ones just might bring us a new yellow or orange..
Can you tell, that I'm getting very enthusiastic, and it's a great time to remind everyone how lovely Ivoire is..

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 20, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9050870

Nothing delicate about Sugar Pink ...she just does not have huge flushes, but continues to spot bloom almost continuously. Great big rich velvety dark green leaves. Like PP she is very fertile and also has hot pollen. I would not be surprised to find that she and PP are related in some way.
I don't really think Zabaglione is delicate, but the leaves are not as outstanding, while the flushes are.
I thought one would compliment the other and I think Ivoire is a great result, it would be lovely in either pink or gold.Bear in mind Zabaglione is a sibling to Alphonse Mucha who has bulletproof leaves.

I think everyone should have Pink Panther (sorry I thought you had Pink Panther cestrum ...happy to send you some).
My brain needs defragging these days.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 20, 2012

Post #9050879

Your Ivoire is proudly trumpeting its presence, Dianne :-) I see that Zabaglione also has Apricot Queen in it, and AQ itself has a pair of versicolor parents. And versicolors are known for having larger blooms. So quite a mix there.
I wasn't requesting a plant, Chrissy LOL I rather like the idea of different people using different brugs to breed from, instead of everyone breeding from the same genes ...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 20, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9050897

My apologies to Sugar Pink...not having seen the actual plant, I had the idea she was a smaller flower like Zabaglione, which is the smallest flower amongst my Brugs...if she is more the amazon type, then that is very pleasing too.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 20, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9050901

I know you were not asking for a bit, I honestly thought everyone had Pink Panther by now between Wayne, Anne and myself.
Well about size if you haven't seen tiny Zabaglione compared to the big brother Alphonse Mucha ...it is always a roll of the dice which genes got the larger share of the plant. I think that is why Monika said S P x Z would be a good cross, both blooms being small. At a guess I would say A M got the lion's share of the Versicolor. It's all part of the mystery isn't it.
We all have different tastes, Alistair rejected S P because it only spot blooms, I love it.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 20, 2012
9:48 PM

Post #9050905

Sugar pink is a tiny bloom smaller than Z which is pretty small.
But the leaves and plant itself is huge and lusty.
Not so the Zabaglione who is prolific in blooms but not a lusty grower in size (more spreading).
I would call Zabaglione a small bloom.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 20, 2012
10:20 PM

Post #9050924

Thank you Shaun.
You know how I love the aureas. I would love to have a range of aureas in pinks, yellows & whites with longer tendrils to go with my golden boy, GHA.
Maybe a double aurea...Now that would be something.
If ,as it seems , we are all aiming for something different, we should end up with a wonderful crop of brugs
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 20, 2012
11:23 PM

Post #9050959

Well this is the last of the PP fasciation pics, mind you I have 93...
I have pollinated the last bloom with GHA...it was a 10 pointer, 10 anthers and it's style was fused but it had 2 stigma..
Whereas the 2nd Bloom had 8 corolla teeth, 8 anthers and 2 styles, that one was dusted with Bruce's Pink.

I thought that you might like to see the fused styles with the 2 stigma...my apologies for such a poor pic, but it's almost the same colour as the corolla and I was struggling to reach...I had to tear away part of the corolla so I could see inside..
One thing that I found amazing was that the fused styles had twisted at the end, just like the fasciated branch.
Its so hard to distinguish...I hope that you can make it out...lastly the 3 flowers each at a different stage.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 20, 2012
11:38 PM

Post #9050964

That's very cool Dianne, love the twisted pollinated bits ...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 21, 2012
12:19 AM

Post #9050975

Dianne, PPf is so beautiful. I hope it stays like that for you and I hope fertilised ones hang in there for you. I haven't got PP so if anyone can spare some that would be lovely thanks. Chrissy has Twilight Time rooted yet? Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 21, 2012
12:36 AM

Post #9050981

Your PP looks glorious, Dianne!
93 photos? Not excessive for that beauty. (Mind you, you're talking to someone who is on 19,000 images and rising!) But who knows when/if you will ever see this again? Keep snapping away while it's there, I say :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 21, 2012

Post #9050983

I would say we have witnessed one in maybe a few million chances of seeing such a thing.
I can't tell you how many pictures of my special babies I have, and they are just normal ones.
chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 21, 2012
12:44 AM

Post #9050984

yes I have T T rooted colleen why ?

chrissy
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 21, 2012
12:52 AM

Post #9050986

You were going to send me one Chrissy, as the cutting that you sent both Brian and I didn't make it so you said that you would root the cuttings first then send them out. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 21, 2012
1:02 AM

Post #9050988

Sorry these are all spoken for and I won't be doing any more until Spring. Then perhaps we can do a swap if you still want it. It gets very expensive sending out bits of plants to people that lose the cuttings and don't trade, that isn't my fault and since it was at my cost, then I don't consider that I owe you a replacement. These are swaps now because I have sent out enough cuttings at my expense to people who just expect it.
Sorry to be so blunt but there you have it.
A few times I have asked about things I wanted and was ignored. So be it.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2012

Post #9050989

i can under stand what your talking about Cestrum & Colleen, i have over 5000 film pic's on puter now & have been using a digital cam for almost 12 years i go happy snap some days i do over 500 pics and widdel them down to the best looking ones i could lose 400 or more but i do end up with some amazing pics if i may so so
the plant pics i have in family trees solanaceae has the most pics with about 3500 then im not sure could be conifera with about 2000 but i think there could be about 30,000 pics and it took me almost 2 days to save it to it's currant location

but i will say to you colleen keep the pic's coming we are so excited for you and love to follow the adventure you are taking all of us on with PP

Shame so many plants don't have family history to trace them back (thanks Ann) but this is where we start just like her almost 3 decades ago
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 21, 2012
1:06 AM

Post #9050990

I don't know that you have ever asked me for anything Chrissy. I can be just as blunt. Stick it up your jumper. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 21, 2012
1:06 AM

Post #9050991

I agree Shaun.
Broke my heart to lose some pics when my puter blew up, you can never have enough, that is why having them on line in different places is a good thing, they are out there forever.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 21, 2012
1:10 AM

Post #9050993

Thought you might all like to see colleen's response

copy as follows :
"Stick it up your jumper then. I will get it from someone else. Thank you. Colleen "

Nice one colleen ...I have spent a fortune sending you and Brian stuff for nought,
Your response says it all.
So unless you can use someone they should stick it up their jumper ...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 21, 2012
1:11 AM

Post #9050995

Shaun it's not me [Colleen] who has the wonderous flowers, It's Dianne. Colleen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 21, 2012
1:16 AM

Post #9050998

You have not 'spent a fortune' as you put it. No more than I have to send other people plants. Cestrum has spent more than you and she never 'bitches' I'm sorry if I haven't got anything that you have wanted. I do try to share what i do have and always ask if anyone wants anything. I don't know why you're snakey with me. I'm not the one that promised TT to the people and then didn't fullfill her part of the bargain. Colleen
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2012
1:48 AM

Post #9051003

i get confused
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 21, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9051675

What?? I am amazed at how much time, effort--and yes, cold hard cash--Chrissy has spent on sending out cuttings to anyone who asked for them. This is NOT normal--this entire website is based on the expectation of exchanges or trades. Not free giveaways with the entire cost--not just of the plant material and time, but postage too--borne by the person providing the plants/seeds. No one else--not even Wayne or Mya, people who themselves have been incredibly generous (much more so than I've ever been)--has been so willing to give, of plants, seeds, time, effort, experience, support in every way. Truly, no good deed goes unpunished!

We can assume from now on, I think, that all cuttings in particular are offered on an exchange-only basis unless otherwise stated, as is the case in other forums. And of course no one is obliged to offer anything they have in their gardens ...

Anyway, I wanted to show those deformed innards on my Peanut x Ruffles and Flourishes seedling. This is why it's been so hard to breed from it: sometimes I can't even differentiate between the anthers and the style. But I also wanted to show the still-green blooms (2 of them) on that Salmon Perfektion x Dorthea seedling I mentioned. With that parentage, it has to be pink! But also, courtesy of SP, looks like it's going to be a double too :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 21, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9051697

Wanted to add: in that first photo, you can see the green handle of my extendible loppers. So many of my brugs are too high to reach easily for pollination, so I use the hooked cutting blade (unopened) to gently hook the branch containing the bloom, then extend the handle so that the loppers are just long enough to support the bloom at reachable height. And I then either support the handle by leaning it slightly against myself, or often it will just stand upright on its own. It's just a way of reaching those high blooms while keeping the feet on the ground.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 22, 2012
12:13 AM

Post #9052307

The flower is opening nicely, skirt has dropped well. Can't reach it to smell for perfume, as it's too high up. (Don't know if it's tall from genetics or from growing in the shade of the champaca, which is where I planted it last autumn to protect it from winter frost.) Hopefully it will colour up tomorrow.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2012
2:06 AM

Post #9052327

Cestrum What beauty is this ? is it a white or dose it have a hue of color on it????

I also agree with the posting thing but im also new to the group and have appreciated all the plant & seed supplied to me from you all,
I offer to pay all cost if you ask as i don't have much to offer of any plants that you guys are looking for at the moment so this is why i offer seed if any 1 is interested !.
in the next 2 years i believe it will be very different. i will also help out where possible
but i don't mind if you ask me to pay for the plant seed or cuttings as it can be very expensive.
I appreciate all you guys have done for me and also offered me
i am iternaly grateful

on matters that matter:::::::
I have just taken pollen or what i feel is pollen from Culebra and added it to the Style of aurea (form) 3 flowers unopened so fingers crossed.
i also have aurea (Barkley st) open and have just taken a pic and here he is

Thumbnail by SolMan

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 22, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9053047

Wringing my hands in sorrow. All the flowers I tried pollinating have now fallen off. I dont know if it is the pollen or not.
I have some from OS and some from DG friends. I keep it in the frig but I think it must get too dry or something.
From now on , I will try straight flower to flower with the pollen. When the flowers all open of course. This means I can only use what I have here and none of the other gorgeous stuff.
I may try more later and not keep it in the frig.
I am now waiting on lots of buds to grow a bit more and open .
A bit more rain here so the plants are looking good. Very cute aurea , Shaun.
Looks like the tendrils will be a bit longer than GHA .
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 22, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9053165

Love the shape of your SP x D cestrum...how pretty it will be in pink...no pun intended...here speaks someone who grows beautiful white doubles only. :-)
Though I have a Angel's Swingtime x Mango Crush, that I pray to, every day...lemon or orange please.

Fingers and legs crossed for a result from that Culebra cross. Shaun. good luck.

Mine did the same Jean, I think that the 2 very hot days early in the week are responsible...my flower to flower didn't work either...
Try again if you have any stored pollen as well as flower to flower...lol...I just want to know if the stored pollen
is viable...just remembered, somewhere in my freezer I still have a batch...if the rain stops, I'll try again tonight.

Chrissy, I didn't mean the growth in SP and Z, I meant that the flowers are dainty compared to Ivoire's strong,upright flower...you'll see...he will shove his parents aside...he will tower over his mother and lean on his father..
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 22, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9053171

My GHA should be out later today or tomorrow. I can't wait to see this beauty in the flesh so to speak. My pollinated buds fell too. ClementineX Bruce's pink and SuavelonsxAztec Gold X yellow aurea. Barkley St. is lovely Shaun and I love those little curly bits on the ends of the tendrils. Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 22, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9053187

Your should change your username to AureaMan, Shaun :-)
It is a pink, but the skirt is disappointing in the way it gapes open. Too wet and slippery to try to take more photos and not sure if I will be able to reach it for a sniff this evening either.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 22, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9053211

Finally, here's a seedling whose label has completely washed out. I assume it's from an overseas seed sown in 2009 but that's all I can guess about it.
Nice tendrils, haven't been able to smell it yet.
And that's it. I don't expect any more seedlings to flower for the first time until after winter.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 22, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9053229

Hello again. I've been out talking to all the plants, giving them growing instructions.
Hubby says a few more cool days them warmer up to 26C which will suit me and the plants just right.

If anyone has seeds growing from my #44 x GHA, please note the name for #44 is Sweet Jaffa.
I am hoping for more buds so I can get better pics to put on BGI with its name.
The orange color reminded me of the jaffas we used to eat .

I found that another seedling has made a Y. I am hoping it gets buds this year.
Apricot Queen x Super Spot.
Should be some sort of pink but I dont mind as I have other colors around. I want the oranges/ creams/ apricots.

Jean
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 22, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9053306

I have one of Brian's seedlings about to come out probably today if the sun comes out. GHAXBB One of your seeds Chrissy as he has your name on it. .It's a lovely dark yellow at the moment but will take a pic and show you. Colleen

This message was edited Mar 23, 2012 10:31 AM
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9053432

Cestrum those 2 crosses are very nice the 2nd
One is or could it have versicolor/aurea genes in
It I'm taking an in educated guess here love it

Jean #44 I have 2 of your seedlings here that you
Gave me back in November doing well here
So you have now changed it to a working name.

But I think the soil's which I have been using
Is not a very good 1 as it had spoiled the seedlings
And when I pot up in to 10" pots I will be changing
To a horticultural potting mix from pro pine
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 22, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9053504

Yes Shaun, I decided that all my pretty ones that I intend to keep and breed , deserve names.
It makes things so much easier to know a name instead of a number.
I find that getting around the garden, one can picture the flower when it has a name.
Makes it easier for others too, as if you number your own, it can get confusing with plants with the same number.

pic 1 ...you can see why it reminds me of jaffas with the pretty orange color.
pic 2..another view
pic 3 opening color which darkens after 2-3 days.

Not the best of pics but it got a bit torn in the weather.
You can see the mummas influence in the color.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 23, 2012
12:53 AM

Post #9053575

I like the sound of that, "Aurea Man"...good idea cestrum...

Is the GHA x BB a large flower, Colleen...are there any other GHA x BB's around?..there probably is, I just forget...

Jean, I love the second pic, with the yellow inside...very pretty.

I thought that the 2 Knightii flowers that I had pollinated with Ivoire in early march had dropped, at the time there were lots of flowers, and this afternoon, I found 2 pods...this is one that I would like to stay white or cream..
Now I have to stop pollinating...I will concentrate on growing out the Knightii seeds if the pods mature.

I planted some PP x Buck's Fizz, that had matured, only a small pod but huge seeds compared to the reverse cross Buck's Fizz x PP...
It's interesting because I'm seeing the difference in the size of pods and in the seeds according to the hybrid.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 23, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9054257

I have a couple of the GHA x BB here from Chrissy. They show the strong aurea growth .
More rain and my buds are hanging on.
Jean.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 23, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9054524

Hi all,
Dianne, that is interesting though not as special to me as I had a 10sided aurea flower once.. from normal growth though...
Colleen you may find that the GHA flower looks a lot like the aurea I sent you a while back... one of your flavas is a double/twin (two main growth points)
Jean I just love that orange colour there, great name... that's a GHA seedling?! almost looks like a suaveolens x... the iochroma cuttings arrived really dried out but since I've covered them with a baggie they now look really good..

My sangs/arborea are budding up, should be going off in a few weeks as it cools down. I must have about 6 or so different types lol, plus the vulsas are putting on good new growth... can't be too long now for fls, hope your sang seedlings flower soon Jean...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 23, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9054571

Sorry Lucas, I should have been more exact. The brug I have posted in the pics above was grown from US seed from Perfect Harmony x The Chief.
I pollinated the flowers with GHA and now have seedlings doing very well from that pollination

My sangs are growing well now and I hope to see signs of buds later. Do they Y first as the warmies do ?
in the pic below are some of the sangs. I have a couple outside in the open which are healthy but not as tall.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 23, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9054583

Forgot to add the other pic. This is most of the coldies with the sangs on the floor.
Those on the other side with orange labels are some of the warmies.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 23, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9054662

Yes of course they Y (all brugs do)... they look alright, you could probably increase the feed now.. they'd probably grow well in the ground at your place. sangs can grow amazingly quickly in late Autumn-spring I think it's the fastest growing brug, the watershoots are incredible...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 23, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9054726

Thaks Lucas. I realised it was silly question later. They are brugs, of course they all Y.
A granny moment ...

I will try a couple of the sangs in the ground if I can find a good space for them.
Its very hard to keep anything out of the wind and sun here.

I think they grow overnight now its much cooler.
Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2012

Post #9054803

Jean it looks like all is going well for your babies in the shade house,
looking great & Healthy, Jaffa is very cute also you should keep him for trying double orange cross it with either knightii or Tantra and then cross it back again,
I'm chatting with a client who is a virologist and helping me with color and double breeding she has been very kind in the information which she has been helping with she also published a study on Potato wilt virus and a few other Solanaceae viruses

Lucas hope to see some of those cold group blooms soon also, how are the are the aurea's (Colchester) & (MelBot) doing for you ?????

colleen i hope that you can pollinate Ivoire with Knightii or visa versa and get some very pretty doubles in there

Not much happening but blooms popping up every day here and waiting on the next plant called ""APRICOT"" to bloom and ID it as Old Apricot but i will also try 5 or so crosses with what i have as my 1st Old Apricot ((which is called candida Peach) just at the moment but this is going to be my main stock plant were all other Apricot's are checked with.

Dose any one have any information of the Breeding of 'Old Apricot' it seems to have some versicolor in it well in my eyes anyway im not that well versed to really say anything just mu observation

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 24, 2012
1:57 AM

Post #9054811

yeah the aureas are going well thanks Shaun, I think the melb bot aurea may be pure species and different to the common Vic ones (which I believe are hybrid) but will have to confirm, the virology work sounds interesting also.

I have never actually even seen a real true B. versicolor personally (other than some cultivars I think it was Ecuador Pink), all "versicolor species" that I have been presented with have been Old Apricot candida, even the ones I saw in the bot gardens, but I should double check that
so to my knowledge they (Melb botanic gardens) have
Old Apricot (i.e. a B.x candida) labelled as versicolor
white B. suaveolens as versicolor
candida Knightii as suaveolens
aurea as lutea
candida Knightii as cornigera (which is a synonym of arborea)...
(some of these labelled publically with a sign others documented on their database)
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2012
2:04 AM

Post #9054814

Here is BB first bloom for me so i have just decided this has long tendrils & it would be a good cross with aurea (Hull Rd) which also has the 2" long tendrils
He really looks good i think nice color fragrance is a bit subtle at the moment but im sure it would be more potent if i got to it this morning i just may go out there and chech it again i have about 5 aureas in the same place so the fragrance is quite over powering
pic 2 DP&G
Pic 2 roost to my 10foot cutting which i just planted in soil this evening

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 24, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9055415

Looking great Shaun. Do you find the aurea perfume hangs around during the day in warmer weather.
I can always get the scent of GHA during the day,unless it gets really cold.
Pity all our other brugs are mainly night scented.
Shows how nature accomodates the pollinating process with particular insects .

All my pollinated flowers fell off GHA
. Funny thing though , there are still many green calyxes hanging on which were there at the same time.
I am wondering why they are still there and not dropping off when their flowers have fallen out already.
Cant be fertile as there is nothing else open .
Probably they will all fall off when they are ready.

My buds are getting bigger. I am watching them all closely.
Supposed to be a few warmer days so that should help with the opening .

Lucas , that certainly shows how much interest some gardens take in their plants..
You would thing that checks would be made on what labels are attached.
We know wrong names were given years ago, but dont they ever update their names ?
Not good for the public, who assume things are correct in a Botanic Garden.
Jean
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9055649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brugmansia-DOUBLE-APRICOT-Angels-Trumpet-Datura-VERY-RARE-fragrant-plant-/160762920021?pt=AU_Plants_Seeds_Bulbs&hash=item256e377c55#ht_3074wt_794
Very cute but i would not pay this much fro another Brugmansia as i have been stung with this type of price from a nursery up North many years ago

Is this TT????????
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 24, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9055750

Shaun, maybe I should put this one of mine on... Not b*** likely, no matter what the idiots are willing to pay.

I love her too much and she was a gift too. My darling Clementine..

A bit slow to do well at first but now , so pretty.

No way I would pay that much for any plant and this one is certainly not rare.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 24, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9055760

or maybe the ebay one is Clementine? dunno really...
Note how it has no cultivar name...
do named brugs here actually have PBR (plant breeders rights) protection on them?

Personally I think you'd get more gratification from breeding out your own anyway... cheaper too.. and more special to you..
unless a particular one has certain traits you 'must have' for your breeding program...

Just got back from the markets, lots of OA for sale there at a stall... but nothing of interest to me.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 24, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9055855

Lucas, I see there is also a Grand Marnier for sale on the same listing.
I was sure Alistair or someone . said it was not available in Aust.
Just goes to show that people will sell anything whether they know its got the right name or not..
Unless they imported it, which is really expensive & time consuming. .
Jean.

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9055862

I think all the Grand Marnier are OA as i have been stung from 2 or 3 sellers, i wounder if Alistair's Grand Marnier he had or dose have for sale is OA or soome thing wlse as i went back through my emails and found that he had it

so you all think that it is TT? looking at Jeans pic it looks so much like it but im not gettiing it

sorry to hear the market trawling didn't work out for you Lucas may be next time hahahaha

edit: what is Twilight Times history???

This message was edited Mar 25, 2012 2:21 PM
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

March 24, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9055870

Shaun... the brug on Ebay may possibly be Clementine? but it is not Chrissy's Twilight Time(Creamsicle X Sam). See the attached photo of TT
Allan

Thumbnail by boolarong204

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 24, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9055872

DeadlyNight wrote:I think all the Grand Marnier are OA...

Yep, this is my conclusion also. As well as almost all the Brugmansia 'peach', 'apricot' and 'apricot versicolor' you may encounter at mainstream nuseries...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brugmansia-Large-Frilly-Pink-Angels-Trumpet-Datura-rare-fragrant-plant-/160678414626?pt=AU_Plants_Seeds_Bulbs&hash=item25692e0922

^ Check out this one, the first two pics are of a pink versicolor, the rest what appears to be Frosty Pink or Crinoline... who know's what you are getting (though i'd suspect the latter as the description mentions "frilly").

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 24, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9055886

Just had a look at eBay and saw Fernando for sale, nearly had a fit until I saw who the seller was...Allan.

I bought my Clementine from Ann, so one day I will sell cuttings or plants from the ones that I have grown myself or paid for...I think the market might just be ready for a few different Brugmansias...I would put your Opale Etoile on when it's ready Jean...

Chrissy you could sell yours easily...Alistair used to sell his...maybe not on eBay but I think as long as we don't sell anything that was grown out by someone else and given to us...like FFA and Fernando.
It helps pay for the potting mix and seeds and it's yours, so why not...they certainly aren't shy about making a dollar out of their efforts OS...

Chrissy, my Fernando is still going well, how is yours...I bet Wayne's flowers first.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 24, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9055903

It certainly makes you think.
I sell my irises and epis a few times a year , but will not sell anything that has not flowered for me so I can verify its name.
If I sell anything that is unknown, I say so and always state that any pics on the noids listings are only for example only.
I have been caught quite a few times with irises . Like the brugs , you have to wait for flowers ( although not as long ) to see if you have the right one.
Luckily , the reputable buyers will rectify the mistake.
With brugs, its a relatively new & small market on eBay, so people are jumping in regardless.
I saw the irises and epis go from just a few listings to hundreds practically overnight as the prices were good at the beginning.
There are a few unscrupulous sellers that are known to regular sellers , but new buyers are unaware of them.
Its a hard thing to police , so I guess those in charge dont bother too much.
Jean
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 24, 2012
10:52 PM

Post #9055937

Here's GHA X BB only a bit more to come out. Nice tendrils like BB and open like GHA. A nice yellow with a tinge of apricot. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 24, 2012
11:02 PM

Post #9055943

Very pretty Colleen. Lovely to see GHA's offspring . The apricot tint would be from him. He sometimes a hint of apricot/ orange in the warmer weather.
Is the perfume his or BB ?
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 24, 2012
11:35 PM

Post #9055946

Thanks Jean. I haven't smelt GHA as yet because the first flower is stillllllllll coming . I will smell it this eve ning and see if it's like BB or something different. Colleen
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2012
12:15 AM

Post #9055950

Colleen that is very nice to see the next gen but im not there as yet, all of you have been so nice and im sure that in 18months from now i will have my own flowers to show off

By the way GHA smells wow

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 25, 2012
1:43 AM

Post #9055962

I am watching the final stages of the flowers and the first corolla has dropped and left the calyx and the 2 styles just hanging, so I had to look up her skirt.
and there they were... the next little surprise...2 OVARIES...in the first flower that had 2 styles and 10 corolla teeth.

In theory there should have been 2, but in this circumstance, you can't be certain...It was either 2 styles from the one ovary or 2 ovaries...I'm glad that there are 2, so that makes a double size flower with double the corolla teeth, double anthers, double styles and stigma and now double ovaries...
What a little ripper this flower has been...this is the clever girl..Pink Panther fasc #1

This message was edited Mar 25, 2012 7:45 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 25, 2012
1:48 AM

Post #9055965

Your GHA x BB looks lovely Colleen, I hope you are out there sniffing, so you can report in.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2012
2:01 AM

Post #9055969

Dianne we have had an exciting time following you with PP as she has really shown off what the PP can do hahah like the movie you don't know what's around the corner,
well you best keep all the seed if any eventuate because it could be the mother load your looking for and it could just have genes that every one wants,
hope there are more flowers like this or is she now over the exhausting task of showing OFFF
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 25, 2012
2:41 AM

Post #9055986

There's the most glorious perfume in my back yard. Not the same as BB. Absolutely beautiful. Will take pics in the morning. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 25, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9056584

I know I am prejudiced, but GHA has the most beautiful and long lasting scent of all my brugs.
I'm so glad you are all able to see him and smell him up close.
Of course, others will have their favorites but I just love him for his general hardiness too.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 25, 2012
10:18 PM

Post #9057042

All pollens, seeds and cuttings have been posted...good luck with them all.

I will give you that, Jean...GHA perfume is wonderful, but Ivoire is running a close second, not quite the lingering perfume of GHA...lol

No Shaun, she is finished with her flowers at least the fasciated branch is...the rest of her is loaded...

My Tantra flowers seem to be all singles this year so far...they have the petaloids in the base of the throat, so they are thinking about doubles...
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2012
12:21 AM

Post #9057082

Tantra is a stupid one thinking it's a semidouble but not even showing that
I have had it flower in many flushes and iv never had a semi or a double on her, i have now crossed her with Ecuador Pink and have a very healthy pod so it will be interesting to see what happens

Iv been out all day getting free post from the Plant market in Montrose and i got about 200 10"pots and about 20 trays this will keep me stocked till spring hahahahah

Jean, GHA is a beauty, I have not had the pleasure of Ivoire Dianne, as yet but ill decide when i get all the flowers open for the 1st time, i see Munchausen is about to flower for me with a nice long bud. iv got a load of buds ready on Dr Seuss, EP, Apricot, candida peach, FP, WR, Culebra, DP&G, DRC and Tantra all in the next week or so.

Thanks for the envelope in advance Dianne, Probably cross it with Tantra and Knightii. tantra being a semi-double & PP in Pink will thro double pink single pink & white so could be a great cross but the problem is the size of Tantra's bloom
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2012
12:34 AM

Post #9057083

Cestrum,
this cross of your's is very stunning and iv been reading about doubles v: color
Cross: Salmon Perfektion x Dorthea
to get the color deeper you can now cross it with pollen from EP which will keep the double form and get more color in it, also Versicolor EP has a 'Double Gene' in it so it can and most probably will keep you with many doubles
just a thought
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2012
1:08 AM

Post #9058676

It's not that bizy in the garden i have been sending seed out to all over the place< Germany, Austria, USA & Australia,
I have also sent out 2 lots of pollen to US , but the best thing was i got an envelope with a pollen sample in it it was LBG and i am thinking what to cross it with as i only have 1 double 1 semi double that i can play eith at the monent, wish i had a few in bloom so i could hit them with LBG waiting on 'Firefighter Angel' to do some thing or ill just have to wait till sprin & hope the pollen is viable...
I have crossed it with OA, WR & DP&G, next is Knightii & Tantra then any other doubles that i have flowering in spring

Hope all is well with all your gardens and plants and talk soon

I have 2nd bloom of Butterbomb open 2day Yeppy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 27, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9059431

Its a waiting game here for me. I am watching all the buds and have fingers crossed that they all stay on the brugs.
Some are almost ready to open and others are tiny yet.
It will be so lovely if they all flower. My first real flush of blooms on so many plants at once. If they all grow like this next season. I will be very pleased. I will have lots of pics when they all open.
Jean.

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 27, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9059444

It is a waiting game Jean. Buds everywhere but with the cooler weather they are taking forever. I have now seen my first GHA. What a little beauty. The GHA X BB is a much bigger flower and the perfume is different. I have an Adele Essex nearly out. I haven't seen this flower before has anyone? Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 27, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9059530

Yes Colleen, I have Adele Essex, very pretty white and pink, almost finished flushing now...

Shaun, did it cost much to send your seed packs? cestrum advised us of a new PO charge to the US, a couple of weeks ago...I remember thinking that it would make a package of bulk seeds rather expensive.
Though I suppose your's were small packs.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9059617

I probably won't have AE flower till spring as she is a bit slow
to take off, I do have many other plants in bid.
The cost of sending a few packs of seed will not change in price,
But I expect when I am sending to the seed bank that it will cost a bit
More but this is what happens when you want your varieties out there
For all growers to have!
Jean I hope after all the problems you have had over the last 3 months
That you get some nice flushes and I'd be out like a bee crossing what
I can reach.
Dianne glad you have has AE bloom cycle almost finish post a pic
If you have 1!
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 27, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9059715

Here's GHA X BB in all his glory and my first GHA flower. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 28, 2012

Post #9059997

Here is Alistair's lovely Adéle Essex...Shaun and Colleen...grown as a standard she is striking.

Both of the GHA's are delicious, Colleen...stand back and watch them grow.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2012
1:43 AM

Post #9060009

Dianne she is so lovely and the color of the bloom mmmmm edible
I will probably have her bloom in spring as she is quite small at the moment and i amny have to protect her over winter

but i have got lots of buds soon pics will be coming
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

March 28, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9061329

Dianne... Your PP fasciation pollen arrived in my mail box about half an hour ago. Thank you very much!!! I have just now put pollen on FFA(1) Fernando(2) and Mango Cornet(1) I am hoping that at least one of the 4 pollinated blooms produces some seeds. If I am successful I will definately share some with DG list members. I suspect that the fasciation effect will not be passed on but I hope I am wrong.
Allan

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 30, 2012
12:39 AM

Post #9062777

I can see all of the ovaries now from the 3 flowers.
The one with 10 corolla teeth, and double everything, had 2 ovaries.
Now the 8 corolla teeth has 2 ovaries too.
The 10 teeth and the fused style but 2 stigma has a fused ovary...you can clearly see more than one.
That fused style looks like a strip of pasta now.
I don't think that there is any hope of the 8 toothed ones having accepted the pollen..they look an odd colour.
But the original 10 tooth flower is holding it's twins...it's probably too much to hope, but fingers crossed.
The last picture shows the 3 of them with their styles hanging out , 2 with 2, and the fused one.
Just have to wait to see if #1 twins and #3 fused have been pollinated.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 30, 2012
12:54 AM

Post #9062778

I have to agree with you, Allan...I am almost certain that it won't produce any fasciation...but will whatever gene that made the flower double
in size to the norm be present in any seeds ...that's what I am wondering.
Here is the 8 toothed one, those ovaries are not looking good...the colour is really bad..I'm sure that they will drop off...
Next is a pic of the #1...as I said it's holding on.
Then a pic of the three...the pink flower is not from the fasciated branch.

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 30, 2012
1:19 AM

Post #9062781

Dianne, I do hope they hold on for you. Two are looking good to me so there might be hope. Colleen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 30, 2012
2:11 AM

Post #9062790

Have just taken a walk around the garden and here are some pics of the brugs that are out or nearly out. 1 is a noid, very pale lemon with furry large leaves. 2 Avalanche is at it again, sorry about the couch but I have sprayed it. 3 is GHAXBB, 4 is OSA with EP bottom right and last but not least is Elfin Pink with a real show. You should smell out there Beautiful. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2012
2:35 AM

Post #9062807

Dianne i thank you also for the pollen, I don't think that the pollen would have inherited any new genes by having a fasciation on it it's more of an environmental phenomenon, but that said i will also hope like many that there could be a chance there is a gene mutation in the pollen from the fasciation , and we all benefit from it hahahahha

Colleen the plants are looking healthy and nice in bloom at dusk, i have been at work all day and it pitch black out there but im going out to see whats happening like neew flowers and seed popping
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9064020

Dianne i have used some of the pollen from PP(F) on Tantrum and Ivoire on DP&G, aurea(form)
I am still thinking of what else to put them with i was thinking PP(F) on Ecuador Pink, OA & Frosty Pink being pinks themselves will be complementry and it will give a gene line of stronger pinks

Ivoire im not 100% sure what to do with it

I wanna cross all aurea's together and keep crossing them with in there own family lines so that it can be a great collection of aurea in the future

I have a second ""OA"" flowering but the flower looks like a better form could it be a selection from it many years ago??? i will be trying to cross it with my main OA which i am keeping and all others are being pollen tested on it
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 31, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9064521

I'm still watching buds. Hopefully I will have some pics soon. The weather is perfect for them to grow and open.
I am watching all your flowers with interest.
Anthony, I will be doing the bee/moth thing too as soon as flowers open.

Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9065186

Just thought id keep you all informed about Dr Seuss
he is going to have so many flowers that it will make the 1 @ BGI look like it's lacking Color
hahaha
Look @ all of those buds on just 1 stem

Thumbnail by SolMan

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2012
1:31 AM

Post #9067738

Cestrum i received the seed that i sent back
Thank you very much
I thought t was from the US having those stamps over it
Then looked at the seed and knew it must have bee you

much appreciation to you
Shaun

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 3, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9068567

Moving on ...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1250398/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America