It's Brugmansia time.....let's see your beauties.

Clifton Springs, Australia

Now is the best time for our Brugmansias, the weather is gentle with cool nights....so we can expect lots of beautiful flowers to be posted...Hopefully we will have some first timers join us and let us see what they are growing.
The last thread was very long, but the many discussions that were had, made it very interesting.
Thanks to all..

Well, the Pink Panther fasciation has finally flowered.....and here it is at 7 this morning....

We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1244825/

Thumbnail by Seachanger
West of Brisbane, Australia

Amazing! I counted 10 tendrils--it reminds me of one of those cacti that flare open for only one night a year!
Superb!

Merino, Australia

Dianne, that fasciation has certainly been fascinating.
Love that flower. Looks like a giant starfish.
Any pollen ? You must try crossing it and growing the piece itself.
Jean.

barmera, Australia

Oh Dianne how spectacular. Congratulations it is soooooo beautiful for words. Colleen

Yes it's here at last.....and with 2 stigma...I can't see what is happening with the anthers, so I will look again later......there are another 2 flowers to open....I must admit I love the look from underneath...

Thumbnail by Seachanger Thumbnail by Seachanger Thumbnail by Seachanger Thumbnail by Seachanger

Two stigma--so maybe conjoined twins :-)

I'm wondering about the ovary?

Perhaps the ovaries have fused into one, like the flower itself?
Pollinate each stigma and see what happens ...? Can't see what else you could do.

Merino, Australia

Dianne, watch out for a ginormous pod from that starfish .
Jean

Sydney, Australia

Dianne you must enter that in the Calender entry at BGI it is spectacular ...like some way out hippy trip positively Psychedelic !

☀.....IT'S MAGIC....... ☀☀
♫ .♥.* ☀`*♫.*.☀.♥
┊ ┊┊ ┊☀┊ ┊ ┊┊ ☀ه
ه┊ ☀ ┊ ┊ ི♥ྀ
☀ ┊┊ ☀ه
ه┊ ☀!!!

Yes pollinate both ...Good luck and thanks so much for allowing us to see your very special magical Angel. ^_^

Sydney, Australia

Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could get a cutting from that Magical part of the plant and get it to grow !!!!
It may retain the trait ...oh the excitement !
Gotta love that Pink Panther ི♥ྀ ི♥ྀ ི♥ྀ

Croydon, Australia(Zone 9a)

Dianne this is so beautiful just wish we could bottle it on 1 plant CROSS IT CROss it it could be the 1 you have been looking for !!!!!!!!!!!

the 2 styles can be a good thing and they probably will be fused as Cestrum mentioned to the Ovary buy wont know for a while, till at least the flower falls,

the color in the star is stunning and you mentioned you have 2 more to open also wow,,
Do you think there could be more on the way out of the fasciation ???????

I would also collect the pollen as it could have a key in it from the fasciation??? it DNA could be mutated and be interesting to see what the crosses with it being pollen parent, but also doing crosses with normal PP pollen also to see the difference in seedling form shape & then flower shape form, color ect!

in case you missed my Culebra flowers

Thumbnail by SolMan Thumbnail by SolMan Thumbnail by SolMan
Sydney, Australia

All this excitement in an Aussie forum ...sooooo proud,
High Five Dianne and Shaun, what an amazing start to the Autumn parade, that will do me ^_^

I certainly did not miss your Culebra flowers, Shaun....they are wonderful.....

I will try to save the PP pollen when it's ready....and try to pollinate it as well.
I've given the pollen donor to this plant a lot of thought and I've decided to use Colleen's Frosty Pink..

When I thought about what I would want to retain from the PP flower, it's the size and maybe some extra corolla teeth....so an Aurea probably would make it smaller...that's out
Would it improve a double?....it would probably make the inner corolla more susceptible to heat by increasing the size...all of this is conjecture of course.....it may not even set a pod...

RFP is a big beautiful open flower that does everything right, all it needs are some longer teeth...
If the pollen takes it may turn out that way....
I know everyone will have a different idea.....this is a very hard decision...
Give me your thoughts please.

This message was edited Mar 19, 2012 9:35 AM

Sydney, Australia

What pollens do you have available ? Dianne

Sydney, Australia

It may be too late to pollinate that open one (try anyway) because the sticky bit may be dry, however PP seems to set donor pods quite easily so it may have been done already. So if you want a specific cross you may have to cut into one of the other f.PP blooms in order to do the deed as planned.

chrissy

barmera, Australia

Dianne, thank you for considering RFP. It really is a beauty. What about Bruce's Pink? That is a beautiful large flower and the colour is magic too. Lipstick is large and a lovely colour too. Even OSA is lovely. Oh what am I raving on about they're all beautiful. lol Colleen

Hmmmm, I'm not a good person to ask--I'd just go with whatever has the best/fluffiest looking pollen to give that amazon-of-a-flower the best chance of setting a pod :-)

and id just pollinate every thing in site till i have no pollen left hahhahaha

Sydney, Australia

That would be my thought too cestrum ...we can't always pick and choose because sometimes the Brugs you would like to use for crossing are not ready, hence saving pollen.
That is why I asked which ones may be ready to use.
Whatever it is hopefully the trait will be carried forward.

PS Who was it who gave me that tip--to spritz the stigma/s with a little water to increase its stickiness. Probably a good idea here.

i also read that sugar water also help in the tranferance of pollen & longiverty of the stigma tip
this is a great idea that i think Pat or Edna had tried and used on a number of occasions

SO is any 1 going to Alistair's Book Launch in Melbourne
I have just made a reservation for it myself
hope 2 see you there?

This message was edited Mar 19, 2012 10:26 AM

Sydney, Australia

No, but say G'day for me ...a bit far for me. It should be a great day though, can't wait to hear your book review.

Bit a trek for me too :-) Although I'll definitely be buying the book--can't wait!
But, even if none of us can go, think of how many brugmaniacs you'll be able to meet there LOL
Sugar water, eh? (Just a bit of ordinary sugar dissolved in water, I'm guessing, otherwise it would be called ... honey water? Or molasses water? Or maple-syrup water!) I'll have to make a note of that.
BTW Shaun, have you been to Grandma's Garden brugmansia page on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.133337066689194.16533.118201654869402&type=1&_fb_noscript=1
Not too shabby at all for a local grower ...

Sydney, Australia

cestrum don't tell me you have ventured into FB ...I was offered many of those Angels about the time of Fire Fighter Angel, I didn't want to swap FFA then because I wanted to trial it, I note that those pictures are at least three years old, I wonder if the plants have done well since then. You should go buy some of the best ones for your breeding program. She would probably exchange with you if you asked.All I can remember about the Seedling parent of the doubles shown, was that she was a dog breeder, a nice lady. The seller at Grandma's garden is not the same lady I don't think. She sounds nice too from the FB page.
So those plants have been around for longer than when I first started playing with new Angels, funny that we haven't seen them anywhere. I wonder what the story is there.

chrissy

Chrissy, I found Grandma's Garden Facebook page after Alistair wanted to contact the brug seller I found at the local gardening festival, Wanda Hirth, who is the said 'grandma' from that page. But I'm not a Facebooker--she's set up her page so that you don't have to be'friend' her to see the brug photos on her page.
I will not, I will not, I will not join Facebook! (Or Twitter.) OK, off my soapbox and back to brugs.
Definitely don't want to buy any brugs--have my hands full with what I've got already--I can't exploit the genetic potential of all my brugs as it is.
No word from Dianne--she's probably out with a magnifying glass and spray bottle, tremulous hands, painstakingly pollinating that magnificent flower :-)

Sydney, Australia

Did you see the lovely colour on Dwarf Pink and Green ?
Big difference to the colour in more temperate climate, don't you think ?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=366724250017140&set=a.133337066689194.16533.118201654869402&type=1&theater

Sydney, Australia

Well it's good you can go look at some stuff there.
Yes poor Dianne , my hands would be trembling too.
It's fantastic, imagine if you could capture that trait ...wow, it would out do Butter Bomb.

I've admired that pink aurea from the outset, and I'm hoping one day to be able to breed my own version of it.
Like you, Chrissy, I want my *own* LOL
But I thought it looked pretty dark in Shaun's photos too. And what do you mean by 'temperate'--she's in Qld!

Cairns, Australia

My new picture went on the old forum, but I was on the new, o well.here is under Big Y.

Thumbnail by Gena1234
Sydney, Australia

I meant Shaun is in a temperate area ...his DP&G is a pearly pink, lighter, you know the way mine go in cool temperatures (well some of them anyway).

Hi Gena you found us :)
Lovely picture !

chrissy

Grandma is a stunning a-ray of brug's this could have been me if not for you guys lost in the miriad of pages hiden away from the real collectors and breeders

the DP&G can get that deep in Melbourne also Cestrum i think that chrissy was staiting Temperate as in Melbourne
Some of Grandma's colors & forms are very amazing and she is a hidden gem

I will also have Alistair's book but ill also get him to sign it then i have to chace down the other 2 to sign it some time haahah like thats going to happem

Cestrum did you see Snow cone on gramma's page????

Edit: it looks like it would be a great cross with Dr Seuss as i can see the bloom is similar but not mmmmmmm

This message was edited Mar 19, 2012 12:08 PM

Shaun, how is your FFA cutting going--any sign of roots/leaves?
On 10 Feb I used the loppers to cut down a bloom from my inground FFA and cut off two pieces of the stem tip in the process. Couldn't bring myself to throw them away, even though they were small, green and the worst possible sort of material for cuttings--almost every green cutting I've tried taking from a brug has failed, except possibly the suaveolens--so I plonked them into this plastic cup and put them into one of the mini-greenhouses. The only special effort I made was to take the cup out every time I watered the other plants in that g/h because my biggest problem with cuttings is overwatering. And look now, 5.5 weeks later--they both have new leaves and some roots! Early days yet and I could still easily kill them via over/underwatering, but it's still pretty satisfying.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Sydney, Australia

You will be the first to see it out of our group so I would love a review, I will be buying it too of course.
Guess it will be hard for Alistair to leave his new coffee plantation over the pond to come back here to launch his book, looks like he has found the garden of Eden over there, imagine living where Brug originally came from ...a dream come true.
Not my dream it looks way too hot but the beautiful building and surroundings are just gorgeous ! from that to Melbourne ...quite a difference.

Just Planted it with 1 1/2 inch roots all but Dr Seuss are in and doing well

That white of Gena's is flowering beautifully--has anyone haphazarded a guess as to what its parentage might be? (I'm assuming it's an unnamed seedling.)
Shaun, all the brugs on her page are pretty terrific. I was rather taken with the delicacy of Dizzy Spin; its lemon colour would be a great starting point for another yellow-ish double brug I would think.
BTW, she has a photo of Dombeya ianthotricha: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2638056503520&set=o.118201654869402&type=3&theater Although I can't tell if it's her photo or Noel's.
Must go, I'm late already.

This message was edited Mar 19, 2012 11:18 AM

not wrong but there are holiday trips that can be as short as 1 week to seed a bit of what Alistair is creating over there
i would love to get there and check out all those brugs hanging around and the variety would make me piss my pants with excitement
and yes it would be a world away

I do plan of heading to South America for a holiday in the future and have mentioned that if i die there (Hope not) just leave me there cos id feel as 1 with the would of what i have loved for over 20years not just Brugmansia but the SOLANACEAE is majority in South America WOW die to see

Quickly ... isn't cestrum part of the Solanaceae group Shaun?? Because I've just posted photos of two cestrums in the other thread.
OK, now I really HAVE to go

Sydney, Australia

That's great cestrum, I found FFA to be a very strong grower (I have rooted cuttings for relatives) so it's good to see it growing easily for you.
Yes over watering kills more cuttings than anything else.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.