-
AuthorContent
snorkelpop
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 18, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9047669

I allowed some carrots to grow to their full maturity last year, and I was surprised at how attractive the plants were. I'm going to do it again this year, but with more plants. I don't remember which variety I planted last year, but some of the plants were four feet tall. Anyway, I suppose carrots vary in their foliage just as do their roots, so I came here to ask if anyone has any ideas as to which varieties of carrots develop into the largest and most attractive plants.
aimilvping

April 11, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9078040

i like eating carrot, but you question i do not know, hope you will plant best carrot!
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9079818

I did the same thing to radish, & they grew to 4 ft. tall, with flowers. I tried to attach bees to my garden . I will let me carrots grow this year & see what they will look like. The radish produced seeds.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9080221

I tried Daikon radishes to break up my clay, but either I had wreather that was too cold, or the4 clay was too heavy. The roots were pathetically tiny.

But the gracefull, 3-4 foot tall flowering tops and profuse seeding made it well worthwhile.

snorkelpop
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 13, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #9081715

Thanks for the information. Even though I had good experience with my carrots, it never occurred to me that that similar results could be obtained with other vegetables. I think I'll be dedicating one plant box to experiments along this line. Here's a picture I took of one of my carrot plants last July. The picture doesn't do justice to the way the plant really looked, but it gives you an idea.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 6:08 AM

Thumbnail by snorkelpop
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America