-
AuthorContent
MossFloss
Toronto
Canada

March 18, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9047782

This is my first time gardening and the area i'm planting the flowers in is primarily shady but gets indirect sunlight at various points of the day. I'll be starting from scratch some i'll be using seeds, so what are some easy to grow flowers for a beginner that can initially be grown in early spring??

And does the ideal soil vary depending on what flowers your growing?

Thanks
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

March 19, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9048494

You are right Mossfloss, the type of soil you have will not be suitable for some plants but I would say mainly this is for shrubs / trees like Rhododendrons and others that like an acidic soil, for seeds that are annuals, just a nice well dug soil with no large lumps, has some compost and a multi purpose feed added for some nutrients IF your in an area where there has been fallen pine needles etc as they deplete the soil of some goodness.

Plants that might suit your situation would be things like:
Anemone
Aqualigia
Astilbe
Bergena
Cyclimen
Digitalis (foxglove)
All above are Perennials but with mulch cover, could survive the Canadian winters or lift and store.
as for Annuals or Bi-annuals try
Night scented stock (plant close to the path or window Doorway, they smell wonderfully evenings.
Godetia
Impatiens
marigolds, either pot marigolds or French or both.
Clarkia
Phlox
Poppies
Nemesia
Viola Summer flowering
Zinias
Ageretums
Cosmos
Some of above need seeds planted Autumn and planted out after frost has gone.
Hope this gives you ideas to get you started as I'm sure a book from the library or a look through at the book store would help show some pictures.
Most of the plants you buy for bedding out are annuals but are started by germinating the seeds early in the year Jan / Feb time.
Good luck. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America