Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Voting Booth: Have you started any seeds yet?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 31, Views: 313
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
admin

(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9048741

There are a total of 90 votes:

Yes, I've planted tomato seeds! (what kind?)
(14 votes, 15%)
Red dot

I've planted some of my favorite annuals. (which ones)
(1 votes, 1%)
Red dot

I'm trying somthing unusual this year. (tell us!)
(4 votes, 4%)
Red dot

I winter sowed my seeds!
(6 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Not yet,but soon!
(19 votes, 21%)
Red dot

Yes, I've started seeds. (what kinds?)
(39 votes, 43%)
Red dot

No, I don't grow plants from seeds.(why?)
(7 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9048745

I gonna try for buy flower plants for my raise bed (brick bed)...

Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9048784

I planted sugar snap peas, lettuce, beets, carrots, kale, salad spinach, and I have broccoli seeds coming up. Also I have planted mammoth red clover and gold l mustard as green/organic matter crops.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9048798

I have asparagus, snap peas and onions growing outside.

Inside, under lights, I have: tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers, basil, and parsley.

Soon I'll be adding melons, summer squash, and pumpkins.

Broccoli grows during the winter here.

We are extending our garden area so we can grow more winter vegetables.
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9048955

tomatoes, hot peppers, sunflowers, squash, cucumbers, tomatillos, corn, beans, basil, tarragon and eggplants. All in all, about 30 different varieties, with peppers and tomatoes making up the bulk of them.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9049156

I don't have a greenhouse or the discipline to start seeds. I do start some direct in the ground, but too cold for that yet (snow this morning).
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9049168

I have about 7-8 varieties of tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers. Will be adding squash and cantaloupe soon, but most of those I just direct sow. It's warm enough to do that now but I'm almost afraid to!
IlovemyTiger
Irving, TX

March 19, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9049339

I started many perennials winter sowing, I also have snow peas, various species of beans, okra, lettuce, cabbage, kale, kohlrabi, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, watermelons, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, winter squash, summer squash, radishes, beets, corn, carrots, collard greens, cucumber, turnips, mustard greens, brussel sprouts, onions, green onions, leeks, spinach, quinoa, amaranth, broccoli, cauliflower, and various cooking and medicinal herbs. I have a few varieties of hardneck garlic bulbils filling out and I also started many tropicals and berries. A few annuals, but far less in comparison.

-Amanda
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2012
1:07 AM

Post #9049706

I have a greenhouse, and it is full of hundreds of seedlings/plants right now that I have started, including 8 different types of pansies/violas. I am obsessed with starting all things from seed. This year, I'm pleasantly surprised to see how easy it is to start gaillardia from seed. (Big seed/fast grower). I also pluck a lot of seedlings from the ground outside (Johnny jump ups, digitalis, kiss me over the garden gate, larkspur), separate them, and nurture them in 4 inch pots in the greenhouse, and then transplant them elsewhere in the yard.
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

March 20, 2012
2:28 AM

Post #9049728

I brought the offspring of Ailantus Altissima from the South, now it grows indoor. I'm going to transplant it in the yard here in St. Petersburg in May.
Garden_Sass
Central, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9049840

Don't have the tomato list at hand however I did seed 10 different varieties in a standard flat; some are local favorites and some new ones that promise heat tolerance or "old fashion" flavor"; they're ready to plant out in the garden as soon as the ground dries out from the heavy rain currently falling! Hope this spells the end of our long drawn out drought!!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 20, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9050036

All these started inside. Tomatoes, peppers, 26 varieties of hot peppers, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, & kohlrabi.
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9050115

Countrygardens---what do you do with your hot peppers?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 20, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9050201

We are the hot pepper king at our Farmers Market. Besides the 26 varieties., we offer 3 salsa mixes. They are very popular.
ericabelle
West Plains, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9050441

I wintersow poppy seeds. I've got geraniums (pelargoniums) coming up now. I'm about to start impatiens today, then I'll start nasturtiums, zinnias, snapdragons, portulaca, four o'clocks - easy stuff! =)
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9050632

Ive started indoors tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers, eggplants, Jerusalum Cherry, Inca Berry, Tomatillos, Chia, and Basil. Thats all I can think of ATM.

Bernie-do you have a list posted of the types of hot pepper plants you have? Just curious.

Garden-Im glad I didnt get my plants out before last night Im afraid they would have drowned or been beaten to death. That storm was something else. As soon as the soil dries out Im ready, I have some hardened off. Get those in the ground then round 2.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9051172

mixed orential peony poppies, blue salvia, cactus, sweet million tomatoes, new dimension salvia, veronica, and violets. These are different from what I usually start. I have some more seed to start, but I need to clean up some pots first. Luciee {;^)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9051179

Artichoke, pumpkin, sweetpeas, cosmos, variegated gaura, some others I can't remember.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9051386

Tomatoes, peppers, peas, and beans.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9052229

I have tomatoes, peppers, & eggplants under grow lights with at least 1 set of true leaves. Spinach & peas planted & sprouted. Just harvested 2 full grocery bags of mustard greens that self sowed. Froze up 4 qts. cooked. Kale, collards, & green onions wintered over. Could be planting more since the weather has been extremely warm for this time of year. In fact, I could be placing my seedlings outside during the daytime, but we've had a pretty strong March wind blowing around this warm air.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9053265

Tomatoes: Big Beef, Ropreco, Great White, Zapotec, Indigo Rose (new for me this year), Orange Oxheart, and Sungold.
Chili Peppers: Chili de Agua, Hot Lemon, New Mexico Joe (new for me this year).
The tomatoes have all sprouted, and some already have their second set of leaves. Only the New Mexico Joe peppers have sprouted so far.
Except for the hybrids (Big Beef and Sungold), and new ones, all other seed saved from previous years.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2012
1:46 AM

Post #9053581

Brugmansia, and a few other beauties
in Australia

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9054097

I started my tomato seeds 3.5 weeks ago - Roma, Beefsteak, Yellow Cherry and Red Cherry

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9054115

I'm starting very small... Planted Mexico Midget tomatoes inside yesterday. All 26 seeds! LOL I"ll give the extra seedlings away if I have any. I am planning on planting two or three seedlings in my 4x10 dog run. That should keep the varmits out. I don't have a dog anymore and the kennel has been used as a green house and one time as a chicken coop, just for a couple of chickens.. It comes in pretty handy but is hard to move. I have someone take it apart to move it. I'm trying container gardening this year, except for the tomatoes. They are going in the ground. We had snow and freezing weather just a few days ago... Snow is all gone now and it's warming up a bit.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9054201

26 different tomato seed (now plants and out in EB's) cucumbers, 3 different peppers (sweet) bush beans, zukes, 2 types of melons, 2 types of cantaloupe, direct sowed okra (2 different), and tons of flowers.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2012 2:10 PM

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9054274

I think it's time to transfer my tomatoes to 2" pots! LOL.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

March 24, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9055128

Started some banana peppers a couple weeks ago.
McCool
Millbury, MA
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9055235

Still debating on whether or not to try to start a few tomatoes, bell peppers, and eggplants, as I expect to be awfully busy when the time comes to plant them outside.

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9056477

Tomatoes: Brandywine, Green Zebra, Black Krim, Big Rainbow, Cherry, Yellow Pear

Peppers (if you can see them for the tomatoes getting so big, lol): Green Bell (California Wonder), Jalapeno

Yeah, definitely thinking its time to transplant these guys!

Thumbnail by jmc1987
Click the image for an enlarged view.

desert_witch
Lucerne Valley, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9056676

My Heirloom Eggplant (Long Purple), Peppers (Hungarian Yellow Banana, Jalapeno & Anaheim) and tomatoes (Beefsteak, Mexico Midget & Tasmanian Chocolate) are sown in little mini greenhouses on my homemade soil heaters on my kitchen porch. I think that's it for the indoor sowing for me this year, unless I decide to do some flowers. Everything else will be direct seeded after our last frost which should be mid to late May (please!!!).

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9390524

I think we could liven this thread once again shortly , yes I have a few started way early, a few threads are already going about that..
Reynardine
Lake Helen, FL

January 21, 2013
6:21 PM

Post #9392918

Started Paonazza d'Egitto beets, mixed radishes, and Baltimore carrots. Am making an incubarium out of an old crockpot liner (perforated for drainage) and its glass lid, a superb way to start tiny seeds. You fill 2/3 with potting soil, water well with boiled water, allow to cool, and then mix your tiny seeds with sugar and sprinkle on the surface. You add the glass lid, put in a temperate spot, and you won't have to water again until they germinate.

Meanwhile, the old heating unit is good, too. Fortunately, they can't read:

Thumbnail by Reynardine   Thumbnail by Reynardine   Thumbnail by Reynardine      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America