Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vegetable Gardening: For better or worse...

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 28, Views: 180
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9048804

I have renewed my subscription to Dave's Garden for another year.

Many thanks to all those who have taken the time to answer my many questions. You CAN teach an old dog new tricks. ^_^

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9048818

Ditto with me! I just renewed but probably for the last time. It's just not the same anymore...

Doug
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9048919

Doug-Unfortunately many of us feel that way. Hopefully, by working together, those of us who liked it the old way, can bring it back. It worked so there is no reason to change IMHO

Bee Im glad you renewed thats one step in the right direection. : )

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9048952

I'm renewed through 2013. I will be renewing, and am hopeful we can bring more people back to the site.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9049043

This is not aimed at anyone personally, but I feel that if the bickering and nitpicking continue there will be a lot who don't renew-including me. When a person would like to post but is afraid of someone telling them they are on the wrong thread, or they don't live in a relevant zone, something is wrong. I enjoy every single positive post, but get very irate when someone is chastised for some failure to be "correct" in someone's opinion. If we can be a Community of souls with the Common bond of love of gardening, DG will go on and on, and I am hoping for that. I have found some treasured online friends here- Have a great day- I think tomorrow is the 1st day of Spring !!!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9049333

I just want to learn and post with others that share my addiction, and feel free to goof around some..like we used to do. I dont care about zone (its snowing in zone 8 CA.). Or questioned like the inquisition because I dont care to grow some kind of veggie that somebody else feels I should.

"Only" and "always" are exclusionary terms they dont bring people together they pull people apart. I agree with Jo and all of you. I love DG but dont care for the direction its going. Im hoping that by the time it comes for all of us to renew things will be back to the way they were not that long ago.

Thanks for posting this thread Bee unfortunately its too relevant.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9049482

I enjoy the site a lot. For the most part people are great here. There is always some bossy individual around that failed kindergarten. You know the part about playing well with others. I just ignore them and they will take their toys and go home.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 19, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9049569

I'm with Doug - just ignore that person ... Let's all move on and pretend no one ever complained about 'Off-Topic' on a long and meandering thread. It's conversation. It's all good...,meandering is fun, but that's just mho.

Let us not allow the tail to wag the dog. ;-)

MickeyPea

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9049599

I think that we all need to be patient, and give each other the benefit of the doubt rather than jump to conclusions and easy offence. When raising my daughters we had a rule, from the "Bambi" movie. We called it the 'Thumper rule.' 'If you can't say sompthin nice, don't say nothin at all.'

David
JohnCrichton75
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9049603

I have been reduced to "lurker" status for the last year or so, mainly due to the drought knocking me out of the game last summer and me allowing myself to get side-tracked with life. I need to let myself enjoy my hobby and not just "go go go." That said, DG seems a bit quiet nowadays from what I remember.

Glad you will be here for at least another year, Bee. You are a wealth of knowledge and I have always appreciated your insight, experience and kind words.

This message was edited Mar 19, 2012 9:29 PM

This message was edited Mar 19, 2012 9:30 PM
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9050140

I've renewed as well.

Boy, you weren't kidding about that drought, JohnCrichton75! That and the broken fingers/hand sure set me back. But that's life, so I'm climbing right back in there this spring! LOL, I planted out some extra lettuce, radish, and carrot seeds this past weekend. I think they just got washed away! That whole part of the bed is under water...maybe it will drain fast (it always seems too--but I've lost my mental garden bed road map after last year). I feel like a newbie all over again.

I've met so many kind folks who've helped me along. So I feel it is worth the subscription money and more just to be able to chat with you all. I feel the negative posts just highlight how wonderfull all the rest of you are! And also I'm in a new area and live out in the middle of nowhere. I like it that way, but have no garden friends to consult with. So I come to work and keep Dave's open at lunch and on breaks.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9050262

dreaves - I taught our children the "Thumper rule" too. We have a little sign in our house that reads:

"Don't sweat the small stuff - it's ALL small stuff."

My mother had many sayings - one was to let the bad stuff roll off like water off a ducks back.

It's spring - let's have some (gardening) fun!

JohnCrichton75 - thank you for your kind words ^_^

Edited because I didn't mean for the whole post to be "bold"

This message was edited Mar 20, 2012 2:11 PM
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9050285

That's so true, but it can be hard when its directly at you through Dmail or threads. This has happened to me and I was really shocked, as it had never happened before only in the last few months. But Im glad to see Im not the only one so it will now be easier to just let it go. This is one group of people Im proud to be apart of.
JohnCrichton75
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9050297

Wow, Dmail 1lisac?? Lol. Now, I've never known you to be a trouble-maker here on the boards :)

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9050301

Do you mean that or are you being sarcastic?
JohnCrichton75
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9050305

I am astonished about the Dmail, yes. The trouble-maker bit was just sarc because you aren't. Nothing ill meant. I've not seen these threads, but in the past you have been nothing but helpful or insightful.

This message was edited Mar 20, 2012 1:26 PM

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9050361

I find it hard to believe that there are people that waste their time complaining about or at other people who are willing to share their time and expertise in a common interest. If someone wants to be cranky, then they should find someone to fuss at face-to-face and not bother the people that are sharing experiences and opinions to help each other have better gardens, fruit, preserved produce, flowers,...etc.

Of course, I'm preaching to the choir, because the people reading this thread aren't the offenders. The critical point is that one shouldn't be offended if someone else does something differently--or if someone corrects something that you said that is demonstrably false. If I said, "you must have bees to pollinate tomatoes" I shouldn't be upset if I was corrected. It is important that opinions that are untrue be challenged since there are more message readers/lurkers that might otherwise believe something to be fact.

Anyway, I'm here for the season... Like John C, the drought and heat last summer killed my interest in gardening. Nothing would grow and the 90-plus days of 100-plus heat was too much for me to get outside. The only time I could go out, the evenings, is the only time I had to do my at-home dialysis. I'm back with a vengeance this spring. I'm hoping that the temperatures in May and June are a little more moderate than last year, though.

David

PS--Lisa, I can't imagine you as being a trouble maker, either.

JohnCrichton75
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9050378

Yeah, the heat was unbearable even for me, and it frustrated me a lot more than it should have. There was a period of 2-3 months last year where I could not go out and face my garden because of the beat-down Mother Nature had just given me. :) But I too am anxious to start again this spring!

There's a plant lady at the local Farmer's Market that is making some serious money off of me...

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9050384

One good thing about being retired: I can get up before the sun does, complete my ablutions, have breakfast, and be in and out of the garden before it gets too hot.

(Okay - hands up all those who don't know what "ablutions" means?)
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9050385

Seems odd that I've been a member for 5 years, I feel like a total newbie most of the time. I know many of you have been members for much longer.

I planted out fuzzy raspberries Saturday. Guess they're good and watered in now!

By the way, I've been noticing smiley faces, etc. How are you guys doing that? Guess I missed the memo on that one. I'm thrilled that I can do =D--this.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9050387

Hand up, HB.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9050412

I won't say what all the letters stand for, but in the Army they would call the ablutions a S-, shower and shave. ☺

@terri, The special keys are made by using your keyboard ALT key and the number keypad. Hold the Alt key and press a number. ☺ (Alt-1) ☻ (Alt-2) ♫ (alt-14) ☼ (Alt-15)

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9050415

terri - Press and hold the Alt key (to the left of your space bar), then tap a 1 on the numeric keypad (NumLock on). Play around with the Alt key and numbers to see all the fun stuff you can do...♫ ♥ ♫ ♪

☺☻♥♦♣♠◘○

cross-post - We're such helpful folks around here!!!

This message was edited Mar 20, 2012 1:58 PM
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9050440

☺☻♥♦♣♠◘◘○ Cool! Thanks!
TX_gardener
Brady, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9051158

I had renewed prior to the time I began to read all the posts about folks being negative or whatever you call it. The main 'boo-boo' I was aware of was the thread being pulled. Anyway, hopefully everybody'll play nice from now on!!!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9051350

And if you're getting negative Dmails, you can notify Administration. That's unacceptable!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9051493

I'd have guessed "morning constitutional..."

I LOVE YOU GUYS! And, so glad we're all staying!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9051511

dreaves - I know what the letters stand for (giggle) and you are correct!

Of course, we girls don't shave ^_^

terri_emory - Ablutions: the process of washing yourself, cleaning your teeth, etc.

Gymgirl [quote]I'd have guessed "morning constitutional..."[/quote]

My dictionary says that's a walk, which you'd probably want to do after your ablutions. ^_^

(Don't mind me, I'm married to a guy who knows the meaning of just about every word in the dictionary)

AND - I, too, am glad we are all staying!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9051702

LOL!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America