Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: Hello Spring! Good-Bye to the Winter That Never Was

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 293, Views: 1,871
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9049151

By the time we wake up in the morning, Spring will have officially sprung!

This is an pic of our Cherry tree early last April, but it looks like that today, full of blossoms, bees buzzing and a few butterflies.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9049171

WHY! O WHY! ...why would anyone want ta show me thaat pic of ?Gunnera? snif! snif! ya knows i want on now! i jist luvs x-large tropical looking plants!!! where on earth did ya find that, happgarden?????????
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9049335

Susan

thanks for the new thread!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9049408

Carolyn, I kept watching how many posts the last thread had, was chomping at the bit to start a new one earlier, and waited not so patiently to start a new one in honor of Spring :)

From the looks of that Gunnera, we could all camp out under it in a rainstorm and never get wet, WOWSER I have faith yours is going to make some of the prettiest stepping stones ever, happ. I missed the boat. Didn't you order one for your son too, Debra?

Sandy, I know what you mean about being scared in a class setting trying to keep up and remember the important details, especially when it's test time. My memory is lousy the older I get and was scared stiff when I signed up for a County gardening class 2 years ago. I just know you'll do well and am ROOTING for you! Relax, enjoy every minute, and get to know your classmates. My SIL has been a Payroll Manager for 20+ years and still loves her job. Hang in there, girl!!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9049519

Howdy... Jax!

Hay I got my Gunneras today, they aint being kept warm, they are outside in the water bogged leaf filled trench that is full of almost three inches of rain overnight.

Water in jugs, bottles, buckets, tubs I am saving it all.
Anyway, I figure they going to have to pretend it is Spring, cuz Son moved a lot out already and I figured if they loose their leaves they can grow brand new ones. I spent the weekend making short rounds of leaf lifting and found so many things I had forgotten I had under them.
Sandy, yer gonna do JUST FINE. I know you will.
love, Debra
PS: My son is in the same situation with needing a roomie to help offset his shortness of funds every month just to keep his place by the lake.
He says " I don't have room for a roommate, my cat needs his two bedrooms to play in" Sheese!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9049641

Sandy, you'll be amazed at what you remember when you get back to school. Take it from a fellow student; you will do fantastic!

I keep waiting for the crazy storms to get here. I think I'll be asleep when they finally decide to roar through...which means I'll be up at 3am. Yuck!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9050185

Glad you got your Gunnera Debra. I saw a picture of a casting of one of the leaves and they are sort of cup shaped and they had water trickling out of it into a pond which is what I want to do. Boy if the leaves get as big as they say I would need to use rebar or something and flatten them, but wowzer would that make a wild beautiful walk...hummmmm... Got the wheels turning now...rofl

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

March 20, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9050302

Thanks for the welcome Debra!

I have never made any jam from the loquats... not that talented... although I did find out that my pups and my bunny love them!! I bet it would be great though...

Susan that cherry tree is gorgeous! Nancy
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9050492

Ok, this is the best place I know to come to vent! Since January 1, we have learned that my Ex has esophagus cancer that has spread to the liver and spine, my DFIL has lung cancer, the neighbor kid backed his dad's stick shift truck through our spare bedroom wall, my DH has been sick with bronchitis, the weather has been just perfect for working in the yard the past two weekends and I have bronchitis now too so haven't felt like playing in the yard and JUST NOW I got home and my DH put a load of clothes in the washer to wash and it stuck on 'fill' and ran over all over the hallway, bathroom, bedroom and kitchen! And March isn't over yet! I've called the insurance company and asked them to just send out the company that fixed the bedroom! I'm not sure there is enough Calgon to 'take me away'!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9050535

Nancy

this is a great place to be- and definitely the place to vent if you need to -

Iris - if I had Calgon, I would be sending you some. I used to draw a nice hot tub of water and pour some of my cologne into the water and then powder myself with the same flavor powder as my perfume and I used to feel so good. Funny, I haven't thought about doing that in years...

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9050852

Welcome Nancy!!!!

Iris, it sounds like you need a vacation from home! :(

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9050889

Debra...sure would like one of those leaves, lol. I wanna make some water troughs for the birds, guess I have to suffer with my rhubarb leaves instead, phooey.!!! Do you plan on digging and putting inside for the winter or is it hardy in zone 6? Yup, yup, sure do like that plant...hint, hint. Just joking.

Fruity...thanks for the new thread and just love the pix!!!!!

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9050896

Just checking in.

Iris - sounds like a mess. I will look for the Calgon. :/

I've been dog-sitting for . . . it'll be a week tomorrow. The man (I met him on the street a month ago in my little neighborhood!) said Monday. Then his email said he had to take his momma to the doctor and wouldn't be back till Tuesday (today). Then this morning after I got back from his house there was a VM saying he was calling to see if I could look after the dogs another day because 'something's come up', 'the roads down here . . ..", 'my car broke down and my bank . . .." and the dog ate my homework.

Huh? The answering machine cut him off. O well. 2 cute jack russell terriers, but they're starting to get on my nerves. If I wasn't so darned nice to animals I wouldn't be over there 3x a day. They're on to me though. Won't let me out of the house now w/o a pupperoni stick for each of them.

Worn out.
A.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #9050900

Iris, when it rains it pours. I don't have all the illnesses in family anymore, but certainly know what you are going thru. Feel better soon and remember that all things must pass. I have been water vac'ing the basement from all the rain that comes in back in the corner, good thing I have a method of saving newspapers and cardboard to make my dam, empty the shopvac into the garden, ( it is under water right now anyway)

Calgon, * sigh* and candles, wine and music.. perfect place to be while it is raining.

Kathy, check with me later.. *hint hint* I am leaving it out since I have been changed to zone 6b almost 7.. things that aren't supposed to winter over outside have done it so far. ( things like cannas, dahlias and salvia gauratica)

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9050903

LOL...thanks deb

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2012
1:49 AM

Post #9051004

Deb -

how is your sister? I have thought of her often.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9051135

Good Morning.. Thanks for asking about my sister, Carolyn, she is doing wel. She got some fake boobies for when she goes to church dresed up, and while she was here visiting with me she had me feel them and they felt really natural. Her health has improved, she is back to eating cookies like she used to, and she said her taste buds are back, so watch out. We are so looking forward to our trip in May, altho she keeps asking me if I REALLY want to drive so far away. I keep telling her that is part of the adventure. ( We ar headed south to the ocean and then following the coastal highway from Texas to western Florida) Her last PET scan showed all clear. We only have 8 days to set foot on as many beaches as possible. She has never been on a beach, yet she was born in Oceanside, California.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9051454

Oh what a fun trip you both will have, Debra, wiggling your toes on the beaches...

My Mom had a fake one, things you don't think about is when you would raise your arm your Boobies stop your undergarments from going too far up and cause them to go back down when you lower your arm, but the fake ones don't do that so well. So I found some mitten clips and we clipped one end to the bottom of the bra and then the other to her panties...rofl, then so carefully tightened the elastic to get the right amount of tension. So we would tease her about having her suspenders on...rofl.

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9051461

Hello, I hope everyone is having a good day. Yesterday the weather was just depressing but today it is absolutely beautiful.

I have a clematis from Costco putting out lots of green growth, but nothing from the other clematis in the pack or the walmart one.
My plants from Dogwooderitternet are doing well outside and have perked up.
4 jugs I wintersowed have lots of seedlings. The pots of Agastache seedlings indoors are doing well, with golden jubilee looking the best.

I also have some new Aloes with lots of pups. I have a hybrid and one called pink.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9051581

Angie sure sounds pretty. Only clematis I have any luck with is Jackmani. My Mom had a beautiful huge white one, can't think of the name but the blooms were huge!

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9051928

Deb

sounds like a great trip!

Happ - too funny. If it works though, I would go with it!

Ang - do you know what types of clematis you bought? I have some as well and really love them. There are a lot of really nice people on the clematis forum and a lot of good information over there as well if you want to take a peak!
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9052040

On the bright side... new carpet in the bedroom, new floor in the bathroom, new vanity, new flooring in the living room and hallway! Oh and a new washer! At Comfort Inn for a few nights... those fans drying out the house will run continuous for 3days. They are noisy but the really bad part is the heat they put out! Must be 97 degrees in that house! No central air and since this is only March, we haven't put the window units in yet...

The only 2 rooms remaining in the house that will not have had any repairs/remodeling will be the office and kitchen.

Debra: sounds like an awesome trip for you and your sister! Hope you have fantastic weather and a wonderful time!

I'm exhausted so going to bed...catch up with y'all tomorrow!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9052176

You're been through the ringer with a host of calamety of errors, Debbie. We've been renovating for years and don't know if we'll ever be finished. When we fix up one room, it just makes the others look yucky and outdated. If I had a "do-over" we would have rented or sold our house "as is" several years ago before we ever started. That's about the same time we found a modest dream house a block from the beach in NC.

Speaking of the beach, Debra, you and your Sis tickle your toes in the sand every chance you get for me! I've been to beaches up and down the East Coast but have never been to one on the Gulf Coast. And here's a tip if you want to pick up shells. "Shelling on beaches or islands that run East to West are the best!" Currents running North and South keep the waters churned up. Although I have picked up a few rare and unusual shells after a Hurricane.

Some of you have seen this photo before, but the only Clematis I have is Elsa Spaeth, and she was still blooming at Christmas!

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9052923

Gosh talking about remodeling...got roofers here again today. Holy cow...I'll be glad when they are done!!! Can't even think straight is sooo noisy, but they are almost done, yeahhhhhhhh. Back to working on the cupboards on Saturday, spose to be 70's for several more days. Hate to say it but I want my snow now, thanks!! Do I have to start dragging the hose around the garden??? Phew. Ok, exerises done am ready, lol.

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9053034

The ones from Costco are Red Cardinal and Miss Bateman. The one from Walmart is Nelly Moser. The Miss Bateman are the only ones doing the growing.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9053228

Ang

My Miss Bateman is the first one to flower - it might have something to do with it. Are you familiar with the pruning groups?
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9053271

I hit Big Lots today. Holy Cow! They have those little greenhouse thingies. The ones on rollers with the zippered covers. The one with three selves is 20 dollars and the larger one with four shelves is 30. They had bunches of starter trays too. Of coarse I only had enough money for one of the small ones, but I'm a very proud mini greenhouse owner. They also had some of the cutest lawn art. If I ever win the lottery I'm going to go crazy with all the cute frogs, gnomes and flamingos.
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9053416

Guess I'm going to stop by Big Lots tomorrow and see if ours has those little greenhouses, sounds great.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9053895

Carolyn ... no lol. I know nothing about pruning.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9053921

Ang

Check out the clematis forum. All the clems you mentioned are type 2 pruning group.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9054540

One of these years, I'd love to have a bubbling multi-tiered water fountain, but don't have a clue where I'd put it. I'd be content to just have some kind of a water feature and thought about adding a little bog garden. Maybe in one of those plastic kiddie pools? It would be sunk in the ground in full sun and wondered if any of you have suggestions for appropriate plants, or any tips or tricks that have worked for you. The area I have in mind is far from an electrical outlet and digging a trench isn't feasible. In my little research thus far, the only plants I've seen in photos that I'm familiar with are EE's, Cannas, and Lotus growing in water but didn't take note whether or not they require a electric bubbler for oxygen.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9054544

Debra - when you go through Florida, make sure to stop at St. Andrew's State Park near Panama City Beach - home of "sugar sand" http://www.floridastateparks.org/standrews/ I used to live very close by. Absolutely beautiful. (Although make sure to also stop by Seaside, FL, where the movie "Truman Show" was filmed) http://www.seasidefl.com/history/beaches/

Ang - I also picked up a bag of clematis from Costco as well as some callas. Unfortunately they're still in their bags. Now that it's stopped raining, it has gotten really warm during the day already. UGH. :(

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9054668

HEY FRUIT...guess what, I got a pix for ya...Thankyou again!!

Outside all afternoon doing spring cleaning at my daughter's garden, was great today, but I still want snow. I'm not sure how to act. We've never had NO snow in March before,so far only a trace. I know it's to early, I'm guessing we'll get some next month, or atleast hope so. Was in the upper 70's today, and again for several more days.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9054886

Debra,, when will you be in Florida??

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9054895

OPEN PLANT SWAP STARTS APRIL 7 TH COME SIGN UP IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO JOIN US .

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1248330/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1248330/
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9055037

Hi all. Haven't been on much this week. Have had my 2 DGD. Ages 5 & 7. Soooooo much fun! Have to take them home this morning. Blah!!!! I wanna keep them.

Here are my Cowgirls, or is that Burrogirls, with Jake the mini burro. They LOVE him and of course, we had to buy them hats!

Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit
Click an image for an enlarged view.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 24, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9055056

Crit-pics so cute.
Fruity, Papyrus is good without any bubbler,etc. Will come back, for me, also.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 24, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9055223

Hello ladies
Not a good day for me...got a call from my mom at 6:30 this morning saying dad had a heart attack. Sitting in hospital now waiting...think they caught it in time...so my dear friends
if you would say a prayer from him I would greatly appreciate it

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9055260

Sending lots of prayers your way!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9055590

SENDING T"S & P"S Girl Just stay with them they will need you , Just keep us up-dated .
susie

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 24, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9055635

So sorry GA Girl, about your dad. I I will pray for you all.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9055772

Prayers sent up for your dad!
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9055774

Waving HI to everyone! Got home at 1:30am today and have been playing catchup all day. Miss Sarah won't let me out of her sight..maybe I should go away more often LOL. Cozumel was wonderful and I loved it- can't wait to go back. :)

BUT .. I went by the new house today (3 weeks till we close!) and I couldn't believe all the things growing! LOTS of hostas- can't tell yet if they're all the same type or if the previous owners planted different types. Once things are up a little more, I'll start posting pics and hopefully you all can help me ID them :)

Sorry to see all the hardships and heartaches going on right now- keeping you all in my prayers.

And welcome to the new folks on here :)
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9055877

Thoughts and prayers. Stay strong.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9055899

Prayers to all, and lots of hugs, wish we could be there to hold your hands.

Fruity I don't think plants need bubblers, just fish.
Water plants I have water iris, cannas, ee, papyrus, lotus, rush, water lilies, probably more but can't think, oh yeah daylilies which surprised me.

Here is a list I found for a bog:
Common name____________Botanical name
Arrowhead ______________ Sagittaria
Bat-faced Flower _________ Cuphea llava
Canna _________________ Canna
Cardinal Flower ___________ Lobelia cardinalis
Cattail, dwarf ____________ Typha minima
Corkscrew rush ___________ Juncus spiralis effusus
Hair grass _______________ Eleocharis acicularis
Horsetail ________________ Equisetum hymenale
Iris/Yellow Flag ____________ Iris pseudacorus; and other water/bog iris
Marsh Marigold ____________ Caltha palustris
Monkey flower ____________ Mimulus cardinalis
Papyrus/Nile grass _________ Cyperus papyrus
Miniature Papyrus __________ Cyperus haspan
Pickerel Weed _____________ Pontederia cordata
Common Sweet Flag _________ Acorus calamus
Variegated Sweet Flag _______ Acorus gramineus ‘Variegatus’
Taro ____________________ Colocasia
Umbrella Palm/grass, dwarf ___ Cyperus alternifolius
Water Thalia/Water Canna ____ Thalia dealbata
Water Nasturtium/Watercress __ Nasturtium officinale

Beautiful day today. Went to another flower lawn and garden show. I bought the coolest bulb I will have to look up the name it weighed a ton. I know a lot of you have seen them, just new to me.

I am playing on a kindle fire I got for DH for our anniversary. Pretty nice I think after getting kind of use to it. This is the first thing I have done, kind of strange, but I think I like it, hope he does.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2012 8:35 AM
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9056713

{{{Paula}}} I'm holding you and your family close to my heart and wishing your Dad a full & speedy recovery. You all mean so much to me, I'd hate for anything tragic to happen to you or members of your family.

Thanks for the great list, happ. Now you've got my wheels turning. I won't be able to keep fish since they might last a minute around my kitties. Could that bulb you got be Belladonna Lily? The bulb given to me last year was huge and am waiting to see it's Pink blooms for the first time. Course there's a lot of different huge bulbs available and am usually wrong when I guess.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9057014

Paula, prayers for you and your Dad and family. GodSpeed on hhis recovery, too.
Cute kids and crits! How much fun are you having, I am so jealous.
Joyce, I have my little pond area sorta part water part bog for the water plants and gunnera, but the fish are staying insdie in the basement Garden this summer along with a few plants. Been untangling the vines and stuff and they are all out except for the big passis, and the calico pipe vine and well I guess a few other vines I can't remember their names. Been making a layered bed in the corner by the A/C since it is kinda shady, kinda sunny, and needed to be able to have an area for the plants that like weteness. I grow the lobelias in pots and in the north bed with a liner under neath, I guess it helps the moisture stay in.
I will look at the place you mentioned, Carol, thanks for the tip. Susie good to see you doing okay and how is Daddy?
Kris, I will be in Florida the week after memorial day.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9057198

The monster bulb I got is a crinum lily, I was going to take a picture of it but the camera was being hard to get along with...rofl. Couldn't possibly be user...oh wanted to pass on a tip that I got about taking pictures, you know expensive cameras have lens filters but if you are like me and just point and shoot, take an old pair of non prescription sunglasses, hold those in front of your lens and walla you have a filter...wonder why I didn't think of that...Those things they give you at the eye doctor if the dialate your eyes work great, easy to carry and good and flat.

Crit what cuties, wow so much fun, a whole week? I would need 3 weeks to recover...rofl.

Debra you are just a go getter, I need to have 1/2 your energy, oh and your fishes will love the water garden indoors... ;) I have more fish, DH and I were looking in the pond this weekend. I have a pure white one with a gold spot on top of his head...a cuties. I had one white fish but now I have alot of gold and white, gold, and a couple of pure white. Fruity the fish are pretty smart and can escape cats I think, it is the bigger things that are a problem, like the cranes, raccoons. I put a small tube in the pond for the little fish to run to if they get scared, and I have a long clear plastic storage box with water lilies in it sitting up on rocks and the fishes can hide there. Everything in the water garden is growing like gang buster...so strange it is still March...hard to believe. By April at this rate I won't have any spring flowers left.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 26, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9057243

Good morning
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Dad has been in the hospital since fri. And has no further problems. They have not said it was definately a heartattack. My brother...who is a RN thinks he didn't have one. But they are doing a heart cath this
Morning just to check for anything. Prayers that all checkks out ok...love you gals
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9058153

Still thinking about you, Paula.

happ, I may try a few cheapy fish from Walmart to see how the kitties get along with them. We live near a lake and have only seen Great Blue Herons in the water there or on the banks.

Didn't mean to blow past you, Chris, and am so glad you had a wonderful time on your trip! Counting down the weeks til you're a new homeowner too, very kacited for you, as our Debra would say :)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9059361

Chris, sure hope the homeowners don't decide to take their plants with them! Have you asked?
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9059409

If they wanted to take the plants, they 'should' have stated that in the contract. If they didn't, they shouldn't be taking them!

But, when we bought our house in West Virginia in 1988, the bank had taken it back and was renting it to the previous owner. When we bought the house and they moved out they took all kinds of things...bathroom vanity (had changed it out to an older vanity), cabinets, mirror, curtain rods, curtains, shower curtain rods, light fixtures and lots of other things. The bank gave us funds to go purchase these things and were going to settle up with the previous owners. Guess they were mad at the bank and trying to get even but they only hurt themselves.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9059441

Lost the thread for a few days. Don't know what happened!

[[[[[[[[PAULA]]]]]]]]] Prayers to you and your father. Please let us know if there are any updates or if there is anything I/we can do!

Howdy Chris!!! Long time no see!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9059565

You are so right, Debbie.

Our Realtor called months after we'd moved in saying the lady who lived here before us wanted to come back and dig up several Chinese Chestnut seedling trees she'd planted. I grew up with those awful stinking trees and couldn't walk barefoot without getting stickers. Not fun when you're a kid. Anyway, hubby had already disposed of the seedlings. She had already managed to take the stupid mailbox off the post, the shower rod, the curtains, the blinds, and even lightbulbs after we closed but before we moved in about a week later. We immediately changed the locks knowing she had to have kept a key.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9059685

Yep, you never know what people might do! Just sayin'...
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9060084

What awful stories about folks and moving...can't imagine going back after it was sold and taking things.

Here is a pic of my giant crinum bulb, now I can't find the camera so I had to use my iphone...where is that camera? geesh. That is a 24 oz pepsi, so the bulb is at least a foot long and my hand will fit around about 1/3 of the bulb. I know nothing about the plant, except what I have read on the internet.

Oh I am going plant shopping this weekend with a friend, Katie bar the door, we hit every nursery around and have a great time and it is suppose to be nice weather to boot...yes! My fav is the Heartland Greenhouse Nursery, it is garden center with 80,000 square feet under a GLASS greenhouse. They have beautiful tropicals and stuff, just a beautiful place and the prices aren't horrible at all. I save all year for this trip, course I am running out of places to stick things. I know I need an 80,000 square foot greenhouse...rofl.

First picture is my bulb the second is of the heartland nursery, they have a pretty facebook page

Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 28, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9060148

Thank you everyone...Dad is doing good...they put in two stints and everything went well. The doctor said he could resume normal activities after today. Doctor seemed to think no heart attack just plaque rupture or something like that.You ladies are wonderful!

I am sooooooo far behind in everything...laundry, grocery shopping, everything. Still haven't had time to landscape the house...been here 4 months now. Still haven't had time to move my plants from the other house. I am taking some of those and I told my husband that WHEN we put it on the market that I want the realtor to know that and it put in the contract...IF I haven't moved them by then. Most of them a hard to find or different plants. I'm not taking the shrubs or anything.

Take care everyone...got to get some things done today!!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9060174

Wow,, I am so glad the guy buying my place said to take any and all plants!! He does not want to fool with them at all!!. We walked the yard twice and he kept telling me don't forget those plants here or the ones in that bed.. He knows I got most of my plants from friends here on Daves and wants me to be able to take them all!!
In our contract it says I have 5 years to take any and everything out of the house and from the property that I want. After that everything left belongs to him!!
I am taking nothing from the house and just my plants and yard art from the gardens. There is so much now that I am sure I will be leaving stuff behind anyway...sigh

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9060177

Glad to hear your Dad is doing well!

Wow, that bulb is huge! What kind of tree is that?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9060202

The bulb is a crinum lily and that tree is from the nursery and it is nothing but petunias, isn't is beautiful!
They have it on their facebook page, bit I saw it in person last year...beautiful.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9060761

Well went to HD at lunch bad mistake, I got (I know NO NEW PLANTS) two new hostas, a 'Abiqua Drinking Gourd' , and another one...rofl. Can't remember the name...dag nab it. Oh well...;)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9060778

GA ... 4 months and you haven't landscaped????? LMBO I've been here almost 2 1/2 years and am still working on it!

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9060782

Is landscaping REALLY EVER done????

happ... you bad bad girl! ^_^

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9060803

Happ!!! You and I must suffer from the same affliction! LOL!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9060823

Affliction / Addiction
Whatever it's called I've got it too.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9060897

I cannot say No to a Plant here either so guess we all are in a safe enviroment HERE :) Sorry for the spelling
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9060964

Hello, my name is Crit and...
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9061003

Welcom Crit. I just keep digging up the grass to make more room. I don't think I can get in too much trouble until I start digging up the neighbors lawn.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9061009

You're lucky to be able to do that, Robyn. If it were up to me, most of our grass would be history. It's hubby's pride and joy, and apparently he loves riding and cutting it hours on end during the Summer. Not to mention the gas money we waste that I could be spending on plants. Did I say Summer? He's already mowed twice and it's not even April. Until we got our new rider last year, it was my job to mow on a very old slow one. Men and their toys.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9061030

Jim Mowed ours yesterday 1st time this SPRING . Is it spring yet ??
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9061034

gardening is fun, mowing sucks.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9061060

I would rather run the lawn mower than the snow blower!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9061066

If we move from this condo to a place with a grassy yard I will be in heaven. First I will dig up all the grass and then I'll plant an alternative to grass. They have mixes you can buy that include thyme and what not that can be mowed just like grass. I like the coverage of grass but not the like look, never have.

monkeymomr that was my Dad's favorite job here at the condos. We have lots of lawns and he loved to use the riding lawn mower. These days the landscapers do it but should they quit the condo board will never talk my Dad into mowing the lawns again - they sold the riding mower.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9061197

Diary of a Mad Elf...

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9061246

Love the pics, Elf. I'm adding clover to the llawn. Hopefully by the end of this summer it should have replaced the grass. It rarely needs mowing and uses alot less water. They say it will only handle mild foot traffic. but we had a tone of it last year and it held up really well. The kids play on it and ride their toys on them. I want to do as little mowing as possible.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 28, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9061299

Kris, I have several (3or4) leaves on the water lily. I decided to make the water deeper and it has covered a couple leaves. Will the stems just elongate and come to the top of the water or did I do bad?
I went to get goldfish to keep the wigglers down today in the water lily, but they were out and I got several minnows. Will that work?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
12:52 AM

Post #9061388

What kind of clover are you sowing Robyn? We had some clover with the white flowers in the yard we moved to and liked to leave that patch unmowed. Now I've taken over most of the sunny spots and the clover seems to have gone. I am growing some purple prairie clover from seed, but not sure how it would do underfoot with the giant puppy.

We left it for the bees to come and enjoy. Let us know how your grass free lawn goes. :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2012
1:39 AM

Post #9061399

Crystal

That should work. My water lilies are at 3 1/2 feet of water and not the standard 18-20". We have no problems with flowering or keeping them alive. We had to go this deep with the waterlilies out of necessity and that was a good 4 or 5 years back. We have had no problems at all.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22   Thumbnail by Carolyn22   Thumbnail by Carolyn22

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2012
3:24 AM

Post #9061422

You will get lots of encouragement here, not sure that is good for an addiction/affliction. Rofl
I have a friend who is doing her whole yard with buffalo grass, really hardy. Short height never mow. I mowed Sunday & again last night, we are getting rain every 3 days and the grass is going crazy and I don't fertilize.
raining this morning so I am going to work...rofl

Your waterlily will grow to the surface in no time.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9061463

I'm interested in grass free lawns too. Here in the shade I have a lot of moss that I am trying to encourage. Only problem is the weeds that come up through it. Then it looks really crappy and I end up trying to pull them out. We have more weeds and moss than grass up here. Would love to sow something that would just take over and not look weedy or have to be mowed.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 29, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9061564

Thanks for the info Carolyn. I still need to know if the minnows will undo the mosquitoes. Seems like they should.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9061633

Crystas.. not sure on the minnows and it is a Lotus,, not a water lily...lol

I need to divide plants today or tomorrow,,, Now feeling it as my hands are hurting so bad today.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9061738

rvnsbrk I tried to find the link I had bookmarked but I can't find it. I think this might have been the link: http://www.protimelawnseed.com/collections/eco-and-alternative-lawns
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9061751

My backyard is mostly weeds and not much grass. We plan on planting, but haven't gotten it done yet. I let my 4 legged lawn mowers in there until my plants start getting big. I have the little decorative fences around my beds, and they don't seem to bother them. There is one weed they will not eat though, so I need to go mow that down. It looks terrible. It's all in the shade. BUT, I'll take green weeds compared to the brown dirt I had last summer! At least it is green. ^_^
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9061959

If anyone really is changing their lawn look at the buffalo grass, it is really drought resistant and all that good stuff.

Lotus will grow to the top also, I have a tendency to move plants around in the pond and the level goes up and down and the plants make up for me messing around...rofl.

According to one site I found a pond with a healthy and hungry fish population will eat most mosquito eggs, larvae and pupae. Smaller goldfish or koi, if hungry enough, will generally eat mosquito larvae and pupae. If you have fish and notice larvae, stop feeding your fish for a few days and see if the larvae disappear.
Also Bti ( I have used these in a water bowl with plants that didn't have running water or fish)
Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis is (Bti) is used to control mosquito larvae. This has no effect on eggs or pupa but is rather effective against larvae and is very specific to mosquitoes and a few aquatic insects (blackflies and some midges). The homeowner can obtain Bti for use in ponds in the form of floating "donuts" at many pet stores or nurseries.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9062231

I'm using dutch white clover. I'm going to check out the buffalo grass. I'm game for anything that keeps the mower in the garage.
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9062300

Well, shoot.. I typed a nice long message with pics... and POOF..it disappeared and I was kicked out of the thread LOL...

I really don't expect to have any problems with the folks I'm buying from..they've really gone out of their way to fix things that the inspection showed up (mainly electrical - $3000 worth! I received the proposal and the paid invoice today) so I would be amazed if they took anything. But if they do take plants..that just gives me room to plant my stuff :)

It's funny, I caught myself yesterday thinking about how much of the lawn I could get rid of in order to put more of a flower garden in the front inside the white picket fence ^_^ Can you tell I'm getting anxious?? lol

I wanted to show off some pics from my vacation- this one I call Big Daddy :)

Thumbnail by ClanCampbell

ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9062308

He's about 4 feet long.. wasn't afraid of us at all.. he actually stayed by the relaxation pool, as they called it. Here's a pic of him over there.

The man in the pool was from France (spoke French anyway) and he and Big Daddy were doing head nods at each other.. non agressive, honestly. The iguanas were very laid back.

ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9062319

Ok, one more.. I've very proud of this next one. My grandson Austin asked me at Christmas time to do family pics as a present for his stepmom. So while we were there, that's what we did. This is my very favorite pic of them.. it's Austin, my son Shawn and his fiance Ashley. :)

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9062339

Hey Ang thanks for the link. That has possibilities I think. Not sure about the fescues that are in the mixes though. Dwarf or not, they are going to be a different height than the clover and that is going to make it look ragged. Have to get rid of my golf course maintenance mentality for sure. :))

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9062435

How nice! I'm almost partial to the pictures of the iguanas, but your people look very nice too. :)
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9062474

I've been working around the house a lot lately and cleaned up the houseplants. Lost quite a few and it's left me bummed. I think some were plants that I owed people but I can't remember who I owed them to.

I had to go through my pots of succulent leaves we've been trying to root and get rid of those that just rotted. I'm happy to report 1/3 of them rooted and have started growing new little plantlets. My son however was sad to see many had to be tossed.

His easter gift is ordered - carnivorous plants. A butterwort and a sundew.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9062531

Chris, I was about to say that Iguana could be a boyfriend to Manda's Rita. I'm tickled Shawn popped the question to Ashley and she said yes! There's nothing in the World like young love :)

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9062606

Anyone know of a good way to get a squirrel to stop eating their plants?!?! I caught that little $^%$&^%& eating them this afternoon. I had them out in the front yard for the rain, JUST off the porch. My squill is now about half the size, and it apparently really enjoyed my Pink Princess philo which is now in three pieces. ARGH.

I think at this point, poison is an okay option. >:(

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9062712

Keep 'em fed elsewhere?

They like my birdfeeders with black oil sunflower and corn in the squirrel feeder. So far I haven't had much damage from them or anyone else. In the heat/drought a lot of them go after roots for moisture. It has also helped me to have water stations around the yard and actually gratifying to watch the critters and birds alike pause for a drink/bath.

Hate it for you -but since I garden for wildlife it's hard to get too upset on this end . . ..

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9062724

Lol...monkey..you started digging at the neighbors yet????
Ya, I know crit and happ are hooked too...
Yup, friut and carey, yup their on the list too
deejay and Elffie, yup,yup, we're so naughty...ya, I'm on that list too, only I probably beat ya all, I got 5 acres to decorate, LOL. My daughter just can't understand why I would want to live in the country away from the city. LOL, FLOWERS!!!!!
Hey Fruit...send him over here I got 4 acres that need mowing!!!!
That clover in your lawn is a sign that your lawn is healthy.
Clan ...love iggy, lol. cute couple too!

pix: phlox david
pix: one of my two herds of deer, west side of the garage, I have a herd the same size with the does and yearling bucks

This message was edited Mar 29, 2012 9:36 PM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9062728

I'm still looking up buffalo grass. So far everything I've found is taller and the pics look like what we call fox tails which we spend our entire lives trying to get rid of. Do you know if there is another name for it?

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9062731

Amanda, I wish I knew what else to feed them so they'd GO AWAY. There are three oak trees across the street, and rain has NOT been an issue at all this spring. It also keeps eating all the blooms and buds on my carnation. AGAIN. GRRR. I could understand if it was like last summer during the drought, but this is ridiculous!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9062738

monkeymom, buffalo grass is native to Texas. Here's an archived write-up from Texas A&M's agriculture school with more details. http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/turf/publications/buffalo.html

You may want to look into a hybrid bermuda that's becoming quite popular. Tifway 419 is a higher traffic, low growing turfgrass that is heat and drought tolerant.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9063116

Hey everyone,, Home Depot is having a huge sale on their Vegies and herbs this week also have perennials 4 for $10.00,, Mulch is $1.25 per bag,,sigh,, And I have no car!!!!!!!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9063270

Thanks for reminding me Elfie!!! I love when they have the mulch for so cheap...and since it's payday, I may have to go pick up a few dozen bags! That is, if there are any left. That clears up why I've seen everyone in my neighborhood re-mulching their beds. lol

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9063281

Different states different prices ours will not match wal-match only store here that will match a price if they carry same Brand name
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9063493

Thanks for the link. Each suggestion gets me closer to my no-mow dream.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9063640

I wish I could, Kathy! We have about 4 acres too, give or take a bit considering the right-of-ways. Hubby bushhogs our field and finish mows about 2 acres in our 'yard'.

How long is their sale good for perennials, Elfie? We have a Lowe's but probably won't be near a Home Depot until May 1st, hubby's next dr appt.

I'd go broke buying mulch in bags. Haven't asked our nursery yet how much a scoop is this year but really need a load or two sooner than later. I'm so late with a lot of projects and hate to have to keep pulling up weeds. Huge scoops the past three years were $11 each and 3 scoops comfortably fit on our utility trailer. Four I tried once but that was too much of a load, wobbled all the way home. What was I thinking? The nursery is only a five minute ride. It's easy navigating hubby's truck with the trailer in tow parked anywhere close to the gardens. One year while I was mulching the hosta bed on a windy day, a neighbor stopped by to ask if I wanted him to help me 'sling it' like he does to help his wife. I turned his offer down since instead I prefer to 'spread it' and not wear it so much...lol It was very thoughtful of him to offer though.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9063706

Court is on 'vacation' next week and will get a truckload of compost first from the city landfill and then a load of mulch after that. :D

As far as I know it is still $20/truckload. He's got a Toyota Tacoma with a fairly large bed. Looking forward to it - I could use 3 or 4 loads of each, but a gal's gotta take what she can get. ;)

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2012
1:59 AM

Post #9063950

Fruity the sale is only for this weekend. It ends Sunday. I am dying to get there as they have every type of mint this year,,, apple, pineapple, orange, chocolate, I have forgotten a few I know,,, Also have German oregano, boxwood basil, and much more,,sigh...

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9063991

I scratched and sniffed the orange mint the other day - didn't do anything for me. Maybe my nose was wore out?

I have a cutting started of apple mint. Also 'sweet' mint? I have chocolate which I love, but so does every kind of varmint in my neighborhood. I have it in a clay pot and they dug it up so many times last year I had to bring it in! It survived the winter and I put it back out - guess what. :P

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9064353

carey, my age old suggestion to keep the critters away from your plants is human hair. Critters don't like the smell of humans, so they stay away. Even if they are in pots, you can put some around the base of the plant. Worth a try.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9064461

LOL...crit a couple of years ago I tried that hair thing to keep the deer away. I saved hair from my brush all winter thinking I'll beat them at their own game. Someone forgot to tell the deer tho. Actuallly, they didn't eat where the hair had been put on the tomato plants, istead they went below the hair and munched away!!!! I even had my plants in a 10X10 area, fenced, guess what ? Those darn things jummped the fence and laid in the middle munching away. Grrrrrr. We'll have to see how it is this year.

I got a new source for mulch this year. My neighbor came by a few weeks back, and offered me all the grass clipping and leaves I could want. (He has a lawn buisness or some kind of maintenence)

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9064475

Patti, thanks for that suggestion - it might work. I had to repot the squill as it literally dug it out. On a positive note, I did find out I had a pup! lol

There is so many outdoors related things going on every weekend next month. This weekend is the Zilker Garden Festival. Next weekend is a local roundup, the 13-15th is the Wildflower Center's annual plant sale, the 14th is the East Texas Roundup at rouxcrew's, another local roundup on the 21st, then the orchid show and sale that I will miss for the second year in a row! Booooo.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9064477

Oh heck Kathy! Maybe I should just put some dog poo around the plants. Think that might work?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9064492

I've heard that human uruine will keep them away. LOL. Sorry, I'm not that brave or accurate. A pix from last fall, my herd of 9 bucks, the other herd is 9+ doe and babies.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9064519

Kathy

It seems to be quite flat where you live.

When my children were small, we would feed the deer. I loved doing that - we would buy the deer blocks. I would love to do that again, only I live in town now... funny thing - when we moved to this house - I was the only one the didn't want to live in town. The kids have moved and are on their own and now, DH wishes we lived up in the hillls - out in the country where I wanted to live in the first place. Go figure!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9064543

Kathy, I doubt I'm that accurate either...and our neighbors are a bit too close to attempt anything like that! We have at least that many deer as well, except yours probably outweigh ours by quite a bit! Central Texas deer are only slightly bigger than the gulf coast variety on the Florida panhandle. Probably 150 for the largest buck would be my guess.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9064552

Carolyn...boy, don't I wish my land was flat. Actually that side of the yard isn't too bad. In the back the slope is greater and I'm almost at the bottom of the hill. I'm still trying to come up with a plan so my garden never experiences a wash out again. Maybe I should just tell the powers that be to be nice to me and I've had enough of that !!!!!

pix: backyard I'm going to be landscaping this spring
pix: front garden, the road at the top of the pix is the botom of the hill

This message was edited Mar 31, 2012 3:01 PM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
2:55 AM

Post #9065130

Kathy thanks for the photo - like Carolyn I would love to have them in my yard. HA! Well I do garden for wildlife. Can you imagine (maybe Carey can!) planting stuff for the dear to come and browse?! :D

What fun!

I used to volunteer in a garden where the deer would cross the property and I'd leave cracked corn on that trail. Unfortunately here there isn't much of a development 'plan' and sprawl allows me to watch the forests come down where the deer used to frolick. Guess you know by now I'm a wuss about bugs and critters. I don't work at that garden anymore now there's a Target shopping center visible thru the trees. :/

Ahhhh - anyway - still have rabbits and rats and squirrels and all kinds of birds in the yard here. Will have to be content with them and when the bugs are here in full force I'll be in my element.

Hope you are all having a great weekend - what pretty weather we're having here...

A.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9065282

I have a big black lab about 140 lbs, he keeps everything out...but we live in the country and he is free. Guess I could plant 18 acres or so...rof, but P. Allen Smith I aint...rofl...

Went plant shopping with an addictive friend all day yesterday, I know no new plants, but I did pretty good, most are for the city planters, altho I ended up with Princess Wu...YES! and another hosta dream queen and fire island. We had coupons and let me tell we were on a roll...we must of traveled 200 miles stopping everywhere.
This is heartland nursery and it is mammoth, first pic is just a small part of it, the 2rd pic is a very small part of the tropical area, look at the stag ferns hanging, the last pic is of a huge dead tree in three loaded with tropicals...an amazing place.

Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9065304

I did take a pic for all you mini gardeners, this was the coolest planting at another nursery. I took several pictures of each section, just as cute as can be.

Thumbnail by happgarden

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9065398

Love those gardens!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9065980

Well, I fell victim to new plants today myself, but I couldn't help it! :)

I picked up some basil to replace the one that got waterlogged in the rain and a new Belinda's Dream rose to replace the one that didn't make it last summer. Then the fun started. :) I also picked up:

Butterfly Ginger ($15 but several tubers)
A red plumeria cutting ($4)
Dragonfruit cutting ($5) (it's about 3 1/2')
a silver-leafed begonia ($3) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/124245/
Epiphyllum "Grace Ann" ($4)
and a pair of absolutely gorgeous terrestrial orchids that I can plant in my new shade garden. (unfortunately not so cheap) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1249/ BEAUTIFUL. I'll have to dig a pond though!

can't believe I forgot the epi!!!

This message was edited Apr 1, 2012 8:08 PM
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9066431

This message was edited Apr 2, 2012 3:43 PM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9066570

Carey, you got some great deals, wowzer! None of our nurserys except the first pics carry anything as tropical, let alone at a great price. I do have that silver begonia and one of the few begonias I haven't killed...rofl. I love begonias but between angel wing and the silver I have managed to kill every other begonia around, numerous times... ;( Now when begonias see me coming in the garden centers they start screaming please donot take us home...

I have some plumeria that I bought from a coop, excited to get it outside again, but that will be a few weeks off, our last frost date is several weeks off and plumerias do not like cold, altho it is going to be 90 today, as soon as I would drag all this stuff out, Mom nature would surely try to get them.

Out to play...
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9066691

LOL @ Kathy & Carey!!!!! I can just envision you trying to ''aim right'' to get urine where you wanted it! My thought was maybe a styrofoam cup or something!

happ ... sounds like you had a wonderful day! That mini garden is just adorable!

I have squirrel feeders up in the trees to try to keep them out of my bird feeders. I also put out a feed pan with corn and black sunflower seeds in it for the other critters and a pan of apple flavored deer corn. We have a few deer as a lot of our area is wooded, but there are also a lot of dogs that run loose so I don't see them too often. Have 5 bird feeders up and love all the birds that come to my yard. Also put up several hummingbird feeders.

Off to read more threads...

You all have a wonderful day!!

This message was edited Apr 2, 2012 9:19 AM

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9067123

Just got back from the realtors office where Ralph and I put down the money for a nice piece of Land!!!!!!!!!!

So excited I cannot think!!!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9067129

uhhhh...I don't think so crit...lol.

Congrats...what are you going to do, build a new garden? Oh how exciting!!!!!!

This message was edited Apr 2, 2012 1:26 PM

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9067149

hummm,,, first I need a home on it. We have an RV so it will be the best we can do for the next 8 months

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9067168

If I ever build another home I am seriously considering a strawbale home. They are so nice and cozy, and beautiful!!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9067248

Great scores Carey, although I manage to kill orchids, and crotons, and stag ferns, and...

OMG, happ, what a beautiful place and seriously doubt I could have had your restraint. We have one nursery that just reopened today with only 8-10 greenhouses that pales in comparison, but they do have a lot of unusal plants, for a price...lol

You know how tickled I am for you, Elfie!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9067332

I have a brand new dragon fruit cutting to add to my pot. Another Guyute :D

In other news, I'm trying to sweet talk my nieces boyfriend into emptying my strawberry pot for me. I need it for beets, carrots and radishes.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9067484

Hummm straw bale home,, Ralph says they have bugs,,,

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9067525

Happ - tropicals around here are actually pretty rare for us too. This was because of the Zilker Garden Festival - there were several vendors from far out of town that we usually don't get to see. It's a bummer - there's a Gingers grower that was in town last year but no such luck this year.

Fruity, the terrestrials are a lot different than regular orchids. My cattleyas and phals look miserable. These are more like hostas or cast iron plant. Just need well-training soil and some winter protection. :)

Patti - there is is no way I'm peeing on my plants! LOL!

CONGRATS ELFIE!!! I know you have got to be one excited lady! I'll be Goober is on tenterhooks to help you arrange some new gardens!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9067830

congrats Kriss , that is great , Just put up a POLE barn :) or a huge garage :) just waitinng for the rain to clear off so i can play outside :) chat more later.
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9068364

Hope all are ok in Texas with the tornadoes this afternoon! Be safe!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9068608

Update: the little girl who was shot at my son's school was released from the hospital today. I thought you'd all want to know.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9068621

Ang, that is a relief to hear. That poor girl will suffer nightmares for years. :(
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9068638

Well if that's the case, Carey, I may have to try a couple. Are they really that easy?

What wonderful news, Ang! Thanks for the update.

Sandi, I don't know how far you live from Dallas, but please check in so we know you're alright.

Both my sis-in-laws who live there are fine. One called while she was still at work, not knowing what the roads would be like or if she had any damage at home. A little while later, she called back and is home safe. I gripe about her wanting to be waited on when she comes for a visit, but wouldn't ever want anything or anybody to harm her after being friends for 25 years, long before I married her brother.
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9068657

Hey everyone..please keep my sister, niece and great nieces in your prayers. They live in Ft Worth/Dallas (Arlington, which was hit so badly) and I can't get hold of either one :( I know in my heart that they're all ok, but I still want it to be confirmed, you know?

thanks..
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9068705

Will do, Chris. I felt the same way, just had to hear her voice and you'll hear theirs soon.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9068740

Yah, I knew my weather wouln't last also. 80* on Sunday, 40* monday and last night and today snow and ice. I'm ready for a nice spring thanks!!! (Oh yah, NOW!!!!)

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9068891

Carolyn22...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9069133

Kathy

Thank you! Such a pretty arrangement, I can almost smell the flowers.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9069478

I saw a huge wisteria in full bloom today. It was gorgeous albeit a little early. Also saw some german irises yesterday. Lots of nights of low temps here in the next 10 days, so I'm hoping we can avoid bringing all the tropicals back in. I know I jumped the gun, but it was almost too hot in the garage for them when it was 90 outside. :0)
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9069668

OK I knew it was going to be bad this summer with the bugs. But if it is going to be like this all summer I will be in the basement until further notice. The gnats are HORRIBLE. I was trying to get the rest of the leaves up and the lilies planted. I finally had to quit. I couldn't take another minute of it. I realized I was in trouble when I started planting bulbs upside down because I couldn't see. Bugs up my nose, in my ears, behind my glasses. Guess it is time for some cigars. :0)

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9069884

Fruity, that's what they were telling me when I bought them. Compared to how she described the care versus pretty much any of the others they should be fine outside. They prefer higher humidity but won't die without it... http://growerjim.blogspot.com/2010/05/nun-orchid-phaius-tankervilliae.html

Sandi/Sandy (Bubbles/Ilovejesus) are nowhere near Dallas. Looks like most of the serious storms stayed well to the north except for the Dallas metroplex. Prayers going to those affected - there were some crazy/scary videos playing yesterday.

Chris, I hope you've heard from your family by now!

Neener, I feel your pain! We had basically NO winter, so there are 10 times the bugs that we normally have, and the bats haven't come north from Mexico yet so it is TERRIBLE out there. Crane flies, June bugs...and not to mention the mosquitos and gnats...YUCK.
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9070017

Thanks Fruitness.. and yes Carey, my sis called about 9:30 last night- she works in the surgery dept of a hospital and was there when the storms hit. She said she didn't even realize what had happened till her hubby called to say that the neighbors told him that they watched the tornado go over their house! Luckily, it never came down and they only lost some branches off their trees.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9070187

Glad to hear Chris! ^__^

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9070326

Ang, glad that lil girl is doing okay home now, that is a relief.
Neener, you need a hat net, we have white flies already outside.
Kathy, wish it would have snowed more here.
Fruity,glad you know your loved ones are safe, I heard from some of my friends and they are all okay..
Happy Birthday to you! Carolyn!

we just finished with an inch of rain here, needed it.
now, I found this in a pot downstairs I emptied out.. any ideas what it is?
I planted it with almost all the tuber showing, looks like a butt now, LOL in a pot.. the last one is a dahlia I am sure..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9070331

I planted all the cannas along all the fences..there is a lot of fence..
a big wind knocked a large limb down ( neighbors old dying cotton wood that houses the squirrel family) anyway, it ended up taking down our cable line and broke my windmill and tore a huge hole in the garden bed there..
guess I will have Joe try to put the windmill back together, it came from Pauline.. So much to do.. all the tropicals are on the front porch, well almost, there is a lot downstairs yet..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9070335

Looks like your gonna be busy for a bit?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2012
11:13 PM

Post #9070369

Debra, those are definately Dahlias, top of bulb is opposite side from long thin roots, should see some growing points. If not sure how to plant a bulb (tuber, corm), lay it on its side and plant, ( a great tip for anemone bulbs espcially, lol). Hope they are beauties.
Elfie...nope, not any bugs because they are enclosed in plaster or cement outside and a plaster inside. They opened a house that was over 100 years old to replace a few bales and the cows in the field ate some of that hay, lol). And actually they are more fire resistant than stick frame homes. Warmer in winter and cooler in summer, (14"-18" thick walls).
Yup got about 8" of that white stuff, most melted but the ground is good and saturated, (course I watered the day before it snowed too, wasn't sure if we were really going to get that moisture), probably got about an inch of moisture out of it, YEAHH!!!
only got jj's blooming so far, things should really get going now after the new moisture.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9071324

I finished the bed that I enlarged in the back yard. Got the lily/daylily bed all cleaned out. Planted some seed and some daylily I received in swap. Hope I did the seed OK and they grow!

I'm now working on my iris bed. Re-arranging and re-doing the beds. Also am making a 6' x 15' bed along the road where we took out the pine trees that died. I am going after a load of sandy loam tomorrow. Then I have to get the area along the deck where I want to put another bed, but it is going to be my last priority. I would love to find some shade loving perennials so that I could put a bed along the privacy fence, to help with water runoff.

I had a nice surprise when working on the iris bed. I was looking over my big garden in the front yard that is still covered in leaves. It is the last bed to clean out after frost/freeze free date, and there was a purple/white columbine blooming. It is so pretty!!!! I'm wondering what else just went dormant last summer and will come up and bloom this summer!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9071337

I was thinking today...

I may have the amount of weeds and the plethora of cutworms making a mess of my plants...but the butterfly population in my yard has surpassed every other year combined and makes me smile extra big. :D
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9071599

See Carey there is always a silver lining. Sometimes though it is really a stretch to find it. :))

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9071805

LOL Neener! I think part of the population boom of just about everything is the fact that the Mexican Free-tail bats that call Austin home 7 months of the year haven't made their presence known quite yet. We love it in summer when we see them swooping and diving around the yard. :)

http://austin.about.com/od/austinattractions/p/Bats_in_Austin.htm

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9071812

I love watching the bats from the congress street bridge! it is amazing to see! We are going to be there in 2 weeks, for the Texas round up, Hot rod show, hope they are out by then?
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9071980

My son's Easter gifts. :)
Meant to post it here but accidentally posted it in another forum.

Thumbnail by tikipod   Thumbnail by tikipod

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9072015

Ang, those are beautiful! What is the second one? I love the little wands!

Linday Kay you'll have to let me know when you get in to town! :) The bats are probably out, except the bugs are so thick this year they most likely haven't made their way out to the suburbs yet . lol

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9072187

We will be in Austin, Friday the 13th, and leaving Sunday morning.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9072647

Linda Kay, you'll be in town for the Wildflower Center's plant sale that weekend too! http://www.wildflower.org/plantsale/
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9072651

The first is a Pinguicula gigantea and the other is a Drosera scorpiodes. Both are carnivorous plants ^_^ He loves them. The Drosera has already caught several gnats.

I've been going through the houseplants and it looks grim. It's been a rough two months for me and I've been focusing on them a bit too much. Killed them with love. These two plants will kill off some of the gnats. Works better than sticky tape to be honest. I might order a couple more.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9072915

Thanks for the link Carey! How far are you from Congress St.?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9072920

What a great idea Ang, a plant police rounding up the bad guys...rofl.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9073076

I think I want to order a couple more Drosera for pest control. They seem to be doing better than the butterwort.
The Venus Flytraps and Sarracenias outside have been doing a good job all winter. I might add a few outside too.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9073103

Ang, it sounds like that drosera might be a good idea in my kitchen these days. lol What are their light requirements?
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9073296

Carey - here is a care sheet for tropical Drosera: http://www.cobraplant.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=26

monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9073612

If only I could find a gopher eating plant. I got some plants to add color while my seeds take their sweet time growing. Last year it seemed like every seed I planted grew, this year the oppisite. Gardening is such a learning ground. (LOL) My toadflax is so bright. I'm amazed at how such a little bloom can hold so much color. My Dreamland poppies have turned out to be regular Ca. Poppies but are still vibrant. I will be so glad when everything is growing.
The eggs are colored and the Easter Bunny is waiting for the kids to go to sleep. I hope the Bunny doesn't fall asleep first.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9073620

The Easter Bunny doesn't like visiting here. I think it's because Jabba the Cat is a bit intimidating at 17lbs.

I have 32 lbs of haaaaam in the fridge. One is 11 lbs and the other is 21lbs. I'll cook the lighter tomorrow ^_^ I just couldn't pass up the whole ham though.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9073936

Ang, those are so neat. I think I know what I want for my birthday!
- And who doesn't love haaaaam?! :)

Monkeymom, if you find a gopher-eating plant, I'll bet it would work on squirrels too. LOL

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!!

or, as one of my friends says, "Happy Zombie Jesus Day!"
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9073940

Ditto on the gopher eating plant. I need one for the moles/voles. Finally gave up and planted the rest of my oriental lily bulbs in containers to keep them from getting transported to some underground tunnel.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9074483

I plant all my BULBS in Large Pots then put them down in the ground they do very well that way .
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9074562

When I was weeding my beds this spring, every vole hole I found I threw a few Castor Bean seeds in them to see if they would eat them and die. Also did that wherever I saw raised spots in the yard where they were tunneling. We'll see how it works. If they don't eat them. I'm gonna have a WHOLE BUNCH of Castor Beans growing! lol

Happy Easter everyone. Praise to our Lord, he is Risen!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9074637

Happy Easter all.

Too funny about the Castor Beans, Patty! Good luck with taking care of the voles - I am keeping my fingers crossed we dont' have any vole problems this year.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9074693

Pictures of the new place,, hope the link works!!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.413547198656611.100124.100000040033760&type=1&l=72a5f98aad

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9074709

Looks great! You will have flowers and gardens growing in no time!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9074770

Kris, that is so nice!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9074809

Yup Linda it is, I love this place!! So wish you could come to visit this year,,, but we will be very crowded sharing the RV till the house is done,,,sigh...
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9074827

I am learning that butterworts come in very very beautiful packages. Check this pookie out: http://www.cascadecarnivores.com/gallery/pinguicula/esseriana.htm
They don't look as beautiful once they start doing their job and have bugs stuck on them. My butterwort has caught a few lol.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9074842

Some day Kris!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9074892

I got a plant for those looking to keep certain kritters away. Coleus canina. Boy oh boy it stinks, lol. (when foliage is brushed). Whew!!! lol. Keeps: dogs, cats, rabbits, and foxes away (was also told that voles and gophers will avoid also).

Carolyn... I have read that a piece of Juicy Fruit gum down the hole works great. they eat and swallow, does a thing on their inards, and if I remember they (die).

Got some new plants, yeahhhh!! Has anyone ever grown Dicentra scandens...Bleedingheart Vine, this is a climber with yelllow flowers. I've read several things on the hardiness zone, one place said z7, another says z6, another says z5 and still another says z4. Any ideas? Been wanting one for years and got one sent to me, ( I actuallly remembered to order it, lol).

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2012
1:38 AM

Post #9074961

Kathy

I appreciate the heads up on the juicy fruit - I know DH found some stuff at Lowes that did the trick. Just hoping they don't come back - darned killed one of my clematis...

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9075099

News on a new invasive garden problem!! Check it out PLEASE!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0foMKAxCww

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9075221

http://landscaping.about.com/cs/pests/a/mole_control_4.htm
The Mexican marigold (Tagetes minuta) is a malodorous plant widely used in companion planting for its ability to repel pests. Companion planting is an example of an organic control method. And adventurous landscapers desirous of controlling moles the organic way don't have to settle for planting the commonplace marigold. A couple of "living mole repellents" have a decidedly exotic flair: namely, mole plant and castor bean.

That's right: one of these plants has gained such notoriety as a living mole repellent that it is often referred to simply as "mole plant." Also called "caper spurge" (Euphorbia lathyris), this plant is an annual but re-seeds itself readily. Mole plant has a striking architecture and is often grown as an ornamental, standing erect and bearing lance-shaped leaves. Its leaves are marked with an exquisite white vein running right down the middle. If you make a cut into a mole plant's stem, a milky sap will ooze out, as when you break the stalk of a milkweed plant. It is apparently the smell of this poisonous, caustic sap that repels the moles.

The final living mole-repellant I'd like to describe is castor bean, also known as castor-oil plant (Ricinus communis). This one's a bit of a no-brainer, since, as I have already mentioned, commercial mole repellent formulas are based on castor oil. Used in the old days as a laxative, there are still many folks out there who can attest to the repellent qualities of castor oil. And it would seem that moles do not like it any better than humans do! A word of caution: castor bean, like mole plant, is poisonous -- neither should be grown around small children.

In temperate climates castor bean is treated as an annual. It grows quickly and can reach 15' in height, suggesting another use for this plant as well: namely, as a privacy screen for those who don't have time to wait years for a shrub to reach such a height. Castor bean bears huge, star-shaped leaves that make it a very attractive specimen, and thus desirable even on landscapes not plagued by moles.

Also this site list plants for repellants...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_repellent_plants

For Moles plant:
Castor bean
Mole plant
Spurge
Squill.
Gopher
Castor Bean
Mice
Mint
Neem cake

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9077409

Anyone have happgardens address? It's not in the echange, please send me a d-mail. Kathy

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9078321

I am so sorry Cathy...I got my addr to her if someone didn't before me.

Look what was blooming in my garden...the first of the first.
The gold colored one, is a dwarf iris and they really mulitply pretty darn fast. These overwintered in a plastic milk jug so they are ready for the MG plant sale...

The other two I brought in to the office partly because of the freeze warnings and partly because where I work in addition to the company I work for, they also have a studio where you can take art classes and stuff in pottery. I made a bud vase and they want to put it in the company newsletter...trust me the bud vase is not the great it is just that I am the first and only employee that has taken the class...rofl. So I get "featured" in default...rofl...

Congrats to you both on your new property, how fun...sometimes I think it would be nice to start over. There are lots of things I would do differently...

Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9078374

I have a few morning glories blooming, but this vine has two blooms, two different colors! Has anyone had this before?

Thumbnail by taters55

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9078380

Hey all,, walked out side today to find the 10 pots of dead angel trumpets have all sprouted leaves!!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9078381

Where is Miss Debra, she is the Morning Glory expertess!

Editted to say congrats on the angels Elfie...I know that was a great site to see! Tough plants arent' they.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2012 10:08 AM

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9078384

Hey Kris, so glad they are all coming back for you!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9078396

I beez happy..
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9078908

Dang that's good work Elfie on the brugs. Mine were inside all winter and they are pitiful. Maybe this will be a better year for them although I wonder. We are so dry already. Been in a Fire Watch for the last week. Never since I've lived here has that happened. No humidity and no rain plus lots of wind = fire watch.

I do have some Alpine Strawberry blooming.

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9079106

I hope you have a chance to check in tomorrow, Debra. Why? Because we want to see more of your blooms and it's your Birthday!

LK, I know you have a special cake or two waiting in the wings.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9079126

The gnome clip was cute. I wish I could get some to migrate here. The girls and I are checking them out in the stores. My dutch iris finally bloomed today. I've been waiting. my clarkia also bloomed today. Finally getting more color.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9079281

I will have a special cake for her!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9079390

Goodness, today is her Birthday!

Happy Birthday Debra! Hope you have a great day!

Thumbnail by taters55

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9079416

Happy Happy Debra!!!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

April 12, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9079466

Happy Birthday Debra! Where are you???
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9079486

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

Thumbnail by happgarden

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9079487

Gorgeous cake, Linda!

Happy Birthday Debra... I hope you are having fun.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9079520

Happy Birthday Debra

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9079551

Guess she thiks she's might get the paddle for being gone so long ;))) happy b-day debra
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9079629

I just looked - it is Di's birthday too (janaestone). She has been gone for so long. I had heard she was caretaker for some of her relatives. That is a thankless job and so heartbreaking.

Di - Happy Birthday -
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9079648

Didn't Debra say she and her sister were taking a road trip?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9079956

Oh Ang, I do believe you are right. I seem to vaguely remember something about that... I hope she is having a good time.

Amanda - I received your birthday card. Thank you.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9079966

Their trip isn't until Memorial Day.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9079968

Oops, didn't realize that Fruity. I just remembered she mentioned a trip.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9080025

Carolyn, you should have recieved a card from me too. I mailed them last week.

This message was edited Apr 12, 2012 5:22 PM

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9080211

Thank you all for the birthday wishes. I have been working wayyyy too much. Hope Di had a good day too.
Some times morning glorys will produce different blooms on same vine, and they change as the weather and sunlight changes too.
Love you all.. I have been sleeping in my chair as asoon as I get home for some reason., hope that doesn't mean I am old or anything. rained so bad here, we have water in basement again, but glad for the rain.. all angels are outside now..

Glad yours came back Elfie.. they are so tuf sometimes. Hope you get some of our rain Neener..
here is my new ofice.. I have a few plants in it.. I also am plant care giver of the tropicals in the store.. one of the dracs have bloomed..
we also have a pet cafe now right outside my door there..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9080343

Happy Birthday Debra! I love your pictures - it's nice to see someone's still getting rain. We're getting to that time of year apparently. :/

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9080464

Happy Birthday all!!!!!!!

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2012
1:29 AM

Post #9080515

Oh Linda! - I thought I mentioned it , I am sorry if I had not. Thank you so much (you didn't have to send any money)

I received many beautiful cards and Charleen had sent amaryllis seed and made a gorgeous cardinal. I love cardinals. Thank you Charleen - I cannot wait to get those seeds going.

Deb - love your office. Maybe you can come and redo mine.^_^

Wondering when it is going to warm up. I think the 2 weeks of 80 degrees spoiled us.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9080600

Carolyn I'm in the same boat. The early warm weather really messed with my mind and body. Now it's been cold again,. The heat is running and I have seedligns that want to go live outside. Warmer weather coming supposedly. We shall see.

Gotta run. Somehow I got really wrapped around the axle this morning and now I am late.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9080681

Same in Missouri warm in March and now the furnance...geehz, but we are getting gushes of rain, strong and loud! Predicting ugly stuff on Saturday. Course we have a swap meet to go to.

Pretty office Debra, I was about to call you, so glad you posted...Hope you had a happy Birthday!

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9081366

Your office looks so bright, Debra, good for the plants and what a great idea having a pet pit stop.

All you people in the Midwest be careful this week-end and watch the skies. Just saw the Nat'l weather forecast and it is not pretty at all for ya'll.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9081511

if I were in the MIST Of that Weather I Think I Would be Hopping a PLane For a nice vacation spot till it blew over :)

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9082660

girls are here ( with grand kittys) and we are all ready to hit the basement.. the only thing Joe is worried about is his bean and potato patch..
Most of my precious tropicals are under the front porch roof, so come on hail get it over with.. son and his cat Chief are hovering at his place, he is in a large mobile home and not too stable when it is bad like this.. last time Wichita was hit with a tornadoe, it wiped out the park he lives in now..
watching the storm come up from Oklahoma right now.. it is already in southern kansas..we had three tonadoes north west of us so far..
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9082743

I'm going to post this in the ID forum too but I was wondering if any of you recognized this pretty plant?

Thumbnail by tikipod

monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2012
10:03 PM

Post #9082906

Debra, I hope that all of you are safe. Keep us up to date. My prayers are with you.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9083105

Anyone heard from Debra, I just heard the name of her city mention on the news. First time I have heard the news all weekend...I am going to call her.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9083113

i HEARD TAIL END OF NEWS THAT MENTIONED Wichita but did get it all. hope all is safe.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9083130

Tried Debra's number and can't thru the circuits are all busy...
Debra we are all thinking, praying and worried about you...

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9083161

Prayers for Debra and her family!!!! I hope everyone is okay.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9083284

Debra

Let us know how you are. Prayers to you and your family.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9083320

We are all spending our day watching the news and waiting to hear from the ones we love out west.

I am waiting to hear from Debra too..
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9083380

[quote="Mud_Elf"]We are all spending our day watching the news and waiting to hear from the ones we love out west.
[/quote]

Well put, Elfie. I have a cousin out there too.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9083399

I have a son out that way..
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9083485

I just tried her number again and all the networks are busy. So I won't try again.
She may not have internet or phone service due to some of the damage around. I haven't watched the news anymore, been working at work on my day off, oh yeah this is a day off... rolf. The company I work for has divisions in Wichita and OKC, I know some of employees lives in Norman Ok.

ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9083531

My late hubby and I lived in Woodward OK and still have friends and family there. I heard from my DSisterIL that my nephew's house and all his vehicles are destroyed, but he made it through the tornado with only cuts and bruises.. thank God!

5 fatalities there, including 2 little girls and their dad -they were in a mobile home. :(

Please keep Woodward in your prayers..

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9083682

The son of one of my former co-workers lives in the neighborhood that was hit by the tornado - missed their house by just a few yards.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9084301

Sending prayers for all those in the path of the storms. Please check in when you can, and let us know your OK?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9084608

Talked to Debra today and her and her family and her house are fine, tornados way to close to her but no damage except alot of water in the basement. She said the tornados got within a mile of her house, way to close. So glad to talk to her.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9085179

WOW. Glad to here everything is okay with Debra!

Anyone heard from Patti (Crit) lately??
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9085316

Awesome news Debra is OK. Thanks, happ, for letting us know. I got a new phone for my birthday and still haven't set up VM or transferred numbers yet (never had the cord thingy to do it automatically) and now I can't find my old phone to even scroll through numbers!

Carey, Patti posted on the Birthday thread that she had lots of rain and is alright.

Elfie and Chris, how did your closings go today?

ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9085324

Mine went just as smoothly as the whole house hunting went - as of 4pm, I am a homeowner :) I've taken one carload of boxes over already and will do that after work each day. I'm taking Thurs and Fri off to really concentrate on moving things over there and my friend Doug is bringing an enclosed trailer for Saturday- by that night, I'll be completely moved in and will spend my first night there :)

I realized today while looking around that I need to clean the new house before I unpack anything LOL - so that's on Thursday's to do list!

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2012

Post #9085414

Sweet...I'm so thrilled for you, Chris!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

April 16, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9085427

Wonderful Chris! I know you are excited!! Having just moved in our new house, I know how you feel, but don't try to do too much at one time, like me. LOL We've been here 3 months and I still get overwhelmed with everything that needs to be done - yesterday!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9085440

Hey everyone, It is so strange that we both closed at 4pm today!! I now own 2 & 1/2 acres of land!! I love it and cannot wait til next week when we will have out barn / house delivered! Then I will get serious about moving out there before the first. The RV will be moved up there on the 22nd. Finally got power, water and phone set up,, we might have cable will find out this week,, no real answer on that one yet. Still it is an adventure so I am happy.
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9085502

I'm not sure if this link will work.. this is from a local TV station in Oklahoma.. the man that they're interviewing is my nephew Michael Thorne. He was so lucky!

http://m.fox23.com/display/2281/story/3f8071ac2acce222111d0d49428f8557

Good night all :)

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 9:08 PM
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9085511

My prayers are with everyone.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
1:56 AM

Post #9085645

Chris>>> So glad your nephew is ok, The link did not work, but I did Google it and found several that did, really scary stuff!! I hope I never have to live though one of those.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9085802

Oh Chris, the link worked for me and can't even imagine how scary that was. He was so lucky and I am sure he was so very thankful his son wasn't with him. Looked like his house was completely gone but the most important thing he made it.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9086207

Hi gals. Sorry I haven't checked in for a few days. Been extra busy. Thanks carey for asking about me. All the storms were west of us this time. Thank God!

Sorry about your nephew's home Chris.

Glad Debra is OK too

Beautiful weather the last few days and again today. I need to finish mowing the yard, then off to play in the dirt.
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9087858

Just wanted to let you all know that my Ex husband passed away on Friday. I know I posted on one or two of the forums earlier that he had been diagnosed back in December with esophagus cancer that had spread to the liver and spine. He was doing treatments but they didn't gain him much additional time. We had 4 kids together and stayed friends after the divorce so I was able to be there for our kids, his mom and siblings. It was hard to let him go but he is not suffering with pain or the horrible disease anymore. His weight had dropped down below 100 lbs as he couldn't eat solid food due to the tumor in his esophagus. The kids are now concentrating on the property and settling his estate. Please keep them all in your thoughts and prayers.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9088115

Will do. Sorry to hear of his passing but yes, he is out of that terrible pain now and in the hands of our Lord.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9090988

Iris - it is sad to hear of his passing but he will feel no more pain in the Lord's light.

It sure has gotten quiet in here lately. Is everyone too busy outside enjoying the lovely spring weather????

Bubbles and I had a wonderful trip to Green Gate Nursery in Seguin today. I am in PLANT HEAVEN!!
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2012
12:03 AM

Post #9091156

Enjoying the weather and fighting with the weeds. They seem to be in grow overdrive. I pull one and four more show up. LOL
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9091257

Good grief, we had a hard frost last night, everything has buds, blooms, or in some state of that...I knew when we had that warm weather in March this would not be good. I covered after the fact a few things I hope it helps. I read somewhere if the sun doesn't hit them and they warm up slowly they might be ok. Fingers crossed on my peaches...

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9091263

MY STRAWBERRIES HAVE LOADS OF BLOOMS I have been coving till last night i didnot for there was no advisery for here well it didpped to 29* this am so jim went out & watered them before the sun comes around to them i hope they will be ok for we may just be eating strawbeerys in may rather then in june :)
wishing everyone a safe a fun weekend I'm off to play in the gardens today .
susie
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9091270

My strawberries are full of blooms and green strawberries. I didn't/can't cover there are too many, they are on the west side of the house so I am in hopes they will defrost before the sun hits them. Oh well can't control Mom nature.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9091381

I wish I was outside in the yard - seems like work has been so out of hand lately. I can't get out of that place to save my life...

They are calling for snow here. I am hoping they are once again, wrong. If the temps are warmer than it will all be rain and we sure could use the rain.

I planted out some monardas early last week. Everything I have read tells me that monarda is very cold weather tolerant, but I think I will cover them anyway.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9091415

Carolyn I can sympathize with the work craziness...I am in hopes we get back to 'normal' next week, we have had 3 weeks of a giant mess. I PA like MO and all the nice weather is thru the week when I am at work... rolf. Today windy, clouds rolling in, and in the 40's. That is too cold to go play outside. Snow...hum, I would be upset...rofl. Above normal, way above normal March and now down we go. Which I knew would happen.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9091489

Fruity? I think it's time for some clean sheets!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9091501

I've been going through my pots outside to decide which plants will stay and which will go. I'm afraid a couple of my Agastache didn't make it. I'm looking to replace them and add a few Monarda :D

I planted 4 new strawberry plants - Alexandra and Pineapple Crush. I also got a few herbs to replace those that perished. I'm afraid they didn't have much of a selection at the nursery when I went but will get in a shipment soon.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9091663

Barn/house being delivered today,, I am exhausted.. Will not have internet after the 30th unless I go into town to wi-fi connect,,,sigh.. Cable wants $3.50 a foot to connect..whaaa.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

April 21, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9091701

awww. Elfie, the neighbors didn't want to sign up?

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9091721

LOL,,, Nope!! only 2 neighbors in the 1 mile limit,,sigh,, good news I have no nosey neighbors!!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9091725

[quote="Mud_Elf"] good news I have no nosey neighbors!![/quote]

Take mine, I have several!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9091777

Elfie - have you looked into doing something like Clear? It uses the wireless phone signals so you wouldn't need cable. Not quite as fast as cable, but pretty reliable. :)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9091828

I can see my neighbors house next door barely, only have one real neighbor. Across the road are two more houses but can't see them at all especially in the summer time with leaves on the trees. We are all great neighbors...rofl...out of sight.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9092032

At least the snow would insulate the plants from the dropping temperatures.

Is still nice here, but waiting until May 1st to set out my over wintered plants. I have planted some out of my ws'ing jugs. Figured they would be out in it anyway, might as well plant them and let them start getting some growth on them. Look big in the jugs, like 4" tall, then I plant them and they are tiny little things. lol

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9092142

I have a House / Barn!!!!!!

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9092238

I'm tickled for you, Elfie :) Now the fun begins moving your stuff and eventually setting up your new craft room.

We have great neighbors. The ones across the road were here long before we bought our house. Another one "up the hill" who's lived here all her life just brought a bouquet of roses to me yesterday that smell so good. New neighbors below us just moved in last month. Hubby went to say Howdy a couple of weeks ago and the guy asked him where the property lines were so he'd know where to mow.

Clean sheets for everybody. Our Spring Houseplants / Tropicals Swap is OPEN!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1253610/
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9092809

Well, I'm in my house and trying to sort through tons of boxes, but at least I can take my time with that now :) I've counted at least 6 different types of hostas and tomorrow, a very nice lady from DG is sending me around 20 fans of day lilies that I bought from her LOL... so need to figure out where they are going to go. Been really cold this weekend, so I'm concentrating on the inside of the house for now, but later this week it's supposed to be in the 70s and 80s and that's when I'll get outside and start taking care of MY yard :) It is so cool to be able to say that!! lol

I've met the neighbors on both sides of my house already and they seem really nice- no kids in either house, thank goodness :) I do see some playing across the street, but that's ok. I enjoy having them around, just not too close ^_^ lol

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9093555

Nothing like setting up your own home!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2012
1:30 AM

Post #9093765

Linda

that is an understatement...

Elfie - so exciting! I alway wanted a barn - I would still love to have one. Congratulations, hon.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9094244

Hey all - just had an out of body experience as I watched myself signing up for a ga-jillion plant trades. I guess this thread has served its purpose and kept us in touch. I almost forgot (?!) to look at the main forum and would have (should have!!!) missed the spring trading season. Hee heeeeeeee.

Very windy and rather chilly this morning. I understand it's supposed to get a little colder tonight and then warm up again.

I brought all my new seedlings inside, well most of them, not taking any chances. The cool weather makes their poor little leaves turn yellow with the chill. I treated all their little roots to a nice H2O2 spray yesterday afternoon.

Have a nice week.
A.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9094859

Was supposed to be nice here today, but started drizziling around six am and hasn't stopped. Spent most of the day at the machanics with my daughters new (used) car. Did get the cosmos transplanted. Storm coming in tomorrow.
Amanda- two of the vigna seeds are showing promise. Dug up the other four and they are history.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9095352

Robyn they creep me out!!! :D
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9095387

I think all the talk about how hard they can be to grow and how hard the seeds can be to get makes us all gun shy with them. But I really want to grow at least one so I'll keep trying.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2012
9:57 PM

Post #9095396

Congrats elfie, what all you got planned for your new building, sure would like one of those also!! Lol. And you got your new garden ALL planted? Lol, I'm just joking, looks great...
Anyone having probs with the weather can get one of those frost blankets from the garden center, maybe even home depot or lowes, will protect 15* ish., they are something like 9ftx12ft and about $10-15. I have numerous ones and have already used this spring. So deejay, how did your strawberry flowers do, I'm guessing they made it thru the temps with little damage, right or wrong?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9095523

GM aLL a nippy 37* out there .
I really feel for all of you out in PA & NY area with the snow fall & our News said we could also get that nasty stuff or mix rain & snow but i didn't hear just when it is coming. not even ready for that . hope you all have a great day . will be watching when i can ;)
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9096207

We had to run to Lowes for paint and batteries. While there I noticed they have a new crop of CP plants available. I managed to get a new drosera.
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9096233

It's 81 degrees here right now.. and they're saying the weekend highs will be in the 40s.. this is the end of April, for heaven's sake!! LOL

I need to hire someone to mow my grass.. any takers?? :)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9096490

We are suppose to hit 90's tomorrow and then high 30's by the weekend low...strange! Sorry for all of you have snow.

I bought a bunch of stuff at a sale today, so now they are all coming in because of the weekend weather. I bought way too many tomato plants, but I wanted one of each...rofl. Problem they came in 4 packs.

I put down 11 bags of mulch this evening. I left work early and got to play in the garden. Felt so good. Got plants ready for a swap, so I really feel good.

Things I wintered over in pots sure did well, I lost very few things so I am happy.

What are CP plants?
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9096528

For you Daylily lovers last month I discovered a Daylily farm just five minutes from my house and in 7 years I never stumbled across it until I searched DG!
Check out her site, it has day lilies organized by scent, reblooming and color. Www.daylilyandhostagardens.com
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9096573

happgarden - Sorry, I meant carnivorous plants. Not sure why I didn't type it out and exclude the extra 'plants.' I found either a Drosera spatulata or aliciae. Not sure which. Both are helping with gnats.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9096864

Another frost here. I am losing stuff left and right. All my okra. I am beyond caring. I knew it was a lost cause when it was 80 in March. I'm looking it as survival of the fittest. :0) Less stuff to bring in in the Fall.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9096968

Oh rvnsbrk that is too bad. Crazy weather year.

rofl...CP makes sense now, I just couldn't for the life of me figure it out. If I would of looked up the plant I would of known.

Judy the same thing happened to me, I am looking in DG and found a daylily grower about 15 miles from me. No one in my Master Gardener group, some who have lived here there whole life knew. I have lived here about 20 years...rofl. I love daylilies.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9097087

I wondered the same thing about CP happ. Glad you asked.

So sorry you lost all your okra Neener. That's a lot of work to lose.

Think I'll google and see if there are any DL growers near me. What did you put in to google it?
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9097604

Well, I have to fess up too. I drove the same route to work for years and didn't discover our local Daylily Farm, on the same rural road, until three years ago. The owner is German Baptist and doesn't have a website. Let me tell you though, it can be downright dangerous visiting her farm at the height of bloom season during Open House Days in late June / early July.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9097639

Crit I found the daylily farmer on dg under watchdog or garden watch dog. Search there and see what you find. 92 in the shade right now...the iris are not happy we warmed up way too much when the tulips bloomed and did them in early. We need rain pretty bad. They did take the 30s out of the forecast low now is 40s.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2012

Post #9097858

Froot - can't remember which thread you posted those lovely pictures of columbine. I have been meaning to tell you though that the flower turned out to look like the one you called 'Burgundy' not yellow. It was still very pretty! :)

xox
A.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9097950

They're on LK's 'She's About To' thread, Manda. Well, shoot, since they're blooming now and I know who's who, how about I bring a Yellow volunteer for you when we get together at your May plant swap?

monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9097953

Cold and damp yesterday. This morning nice, by afternoon the humidity felt like a steel cage, now wind has come up from every direction. Heavy rain tonight into morning. I don't think Mother Nature is at the helm. I think she went on vacation and left her crazy 2nd cousin in charge.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9097977

Rofl over the cousin so funny
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2012
3:40 AM

Post #9098182

[quote="monkeymomr"]Cold and damp yesterday. This morning nice, by afternoon the humidity felt like a steel cage, now wind has come up from every direction. Heavy rain tonight into morning. I don't think Mother Nature is at the helm. I think she went on vacation and left her crazy 2nd cousin in charge.[/quote]

Why do I think her crazy cousin was a man?

scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9098193

So funny that so many of us had stories about finding hidden away plant growers. This is how I searched for my local dayliy grower:Under Products and Sources tab, select Go Gardening. You can search for plant sellers as well as public display gardens.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9098231

We are moving in the next couple of days and my landlord informed us last night that he is turning off our power this morning, I have been packing and running like crazy the last few days I never had someone get so mad because we wanted to move!!! It is just unbelievable!! So this may be my last post for a while.

I am working with Charter to get the cable run to my new place and will keep Fruity up to date by phone.

Now for the really bad news!! The address we have is still not being acknowledged by the post office. So I will be going to the E911 office next Tuesday to get that fixed. I might have to get everything sent to my daughters house and Goober will take care of what ever I get until I can go get it,,, Or I can ask Ralph if things can be sent to his Domino's Store in Alexander City. I need to remember to ask him today. I will call Fruity today and let her know for sure. At any rate,, I still need a mailbox..lol

Huggs to all And I will miss you so much...

Elfie

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9098697

Elfie, I love the picture of you and Goober! She is turning into a beautiful young lady!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9098753

I chopped off all my hair it is 1 inch long now!!! And Goober is a doll...lol A demon doll at times,,,hehee.

So far evil landlord is avoiding me. I am going to report him to the health department. His sewage lines run into the woods, not into the septic tank!!!!
He is a PIG!!!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

April 26, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9098845

ewww! That's terrible, I would too! Good luck with your new place...love the house/barn. That's going to be great!

Back to summer time here...89 today.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9099108

Great pic of you and Goober. Now give us a picture of your new do! I'm going to cut my hair
up off of my neck. Was going to do it s week but had to wait.
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9099134

Gonna miss our Elfie :( But I agree- I want picture proof that she really cut it short! lol

Speaking of daylilies- I just bought some from a lady here on DG- her ad was in the Classifieds.. I bought 2 different kinds and they came today- WOW, they are huge fans and in great shape- and she even threw in a bonus of a 3rd type- I bought Highland Lord and Vanilla Fluff, then she gave me 4 fans of Dominic.. can't wait to plant them!! :) I didn't think her price was bad either- I received a total of 24 fans (with the bonus included) and paid $31- and that was with shipping! The plants from top of the fan to the roots are an easy 10-12 inches long. I asked her to hold them till I was moved and when I told her I was ready for them, she sent them out immediately by priority. I got them in 2 days :)

can you tell I'm happy with her?? Her DG name is floweringchild- she has alot of them for sale right now. You should check her out :)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9099197

Thanks Chris! Sounds like a deal!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9099300

"I want picture proof that she really cut it short! lol" Me too, Chris!
Hubby and I were overdue for new do's and went this morning.

Send some of your Georgia heat up here, Paula. I'm itching to plant veggies.

New thread long overdue:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1254643/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America