Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Peppers: Another Habanero Question

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 3, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9049471

From another post you can tell I have been having problems getting my Habanero seed to sprout. What I did is go to the store and buy some habaneros cut one open and take the seed out and plant it. I then decided to mix half a habanero minus the seeds and placenta into taco filling I was making. I figured it would be pretty hot, but it had little or now heat at all. The question I have is did I remove all the heat by taking the seed and placenta out or is this one not a hot habanero? I just went a licked the other half. There is definitly heat but not unbearable. What gives?
smokemaster
North Hills, CA

March 19, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9049648

I think a lot of the habanero's in the grocery stores are Gringoized.

Hybrids that are fairly tasteless and low heat compared to something you might get out of your garden or from the country of origin.

I know the orange habaneros here in the stores aren't as hot as some of the Jalapenos I've bought or grown.

But the same goes for Jalapenos too.
Some I've bought looked like they would be nice for poppers but they ended up having little or no heat or flavour.

A lot of a peppers heat is in the placenta so you probably removed some of the heat by taking it out.

I've noticed a lot of the habaneros in the store are different looking these days.
peach coloured,light orange,different shapes etc.
I think they are Hybrids.
At $5.00 Lb, no less.Manzanos for $10. LB.
Jalapenos,ancho,Caribe ,fresno,chilaca and a few others are cheep though but they vary a lot in taste and heat.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
2:36 AM

Post #9049730

Thanks. I'll try to get my habanero seed to germinate.

This message was edited Mar 20, 2012 6:19 PM
smokemaster
North Hills, CA

March 20, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9049822

Fresh seeds out of the pod seem to germinate almost overnight at times.
Don't bother drying them,just put them in some soil.
If you need orange habanero seeds ,actually several types of habanero seeds send me a private message.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America