Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Bird Watching: Daily Bird Pics. Vol. #435

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 70, Views: 680
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9049487

Time for a new thread, if you like to return to see the last thread where we've had many beautiful postings. We came from here; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1245328/

Great Blue Heron
Brown Thrasher and Eastern Blue Bird
Purple Martins returned to nesting site

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click an image for an enlarged view.

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

March 19, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9049597

Thanks Kim, for starting this new thread. Happy to see the gourd nests are being occupied so fast. Congratulation on attracting them.

Dove on frosted limb.

Hairy WP clinging to the birch trunk.

Black-capped Chickadee

This message was edited Mar 19, 2012 11:13 PM

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9049836

Thanks Burn, no no that's not my own Martins. I took the pics. from a Dam that is down the road from us. At home. Tree Swallows are scouting out the Gourd Houses, the BBs are watching them. But no Martins yet.

Red Bellied Woodpecker.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

March 20, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9049991

Aww sweet.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9050032

On the last thread-
Lily, congrats on the first p.martins. Mine haven't arrived yet.

Adel, congrats on the lifer tri-colored bbs. I've never seen one but I'm hoping. You sure found some great birds on your trip.

Lily, thanks for the great new start. Love the p.martins houses. Tree Swallows make great photos too!

Burn, great shots of your dove, wp and dee. That birch tree sure makes a pretty setting.

Here;s a juv. bald eagle that went by so fast, and flat, that I couldn't even tell what it was.
A purple finch and two of my nuttall's woodpeckers pair. This was the first time I've seen them so close to each other.
final shot is the head of the male wp.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9050119

From the last thread . . .
[quote="adelbertcat"]While attending a Dinosaur re union, ...[/quote]

What dinosaurs did you meet?

;-)
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

March 20, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9050186

Lily, Thanks for the new thread! Love the Bluebird and Martins!

Great shots everyone! Duc, Love those Nuttall's Woodpeckers!

Nothing new but here are a few pics. A White-throated Sparrow, American Robin and Northern Cardinal (male).

Thumbnail by pelletory   Thumbnail by pelletory   Thumbnail by pelletory   Thumbnail by pelletory   Thumbnail by pelletory

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9050331

LOL Resin!!

Very nice pics Lily one this thread and the last. Purple Martins have become one of my favorite summer birds to look forward to seeing. The towhees are singing here everyday now!

Love those wp shots duc!

Nice "springy" shots pelle!
reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

March 20, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9050436

Just got home, no sign of the bluebirds. Guess they are down on the creek. Lawn needs mowing, flowers to plant, feeders to fill. A Hooded Merganser from yesterday on the Lower Mountain Fork River in SE OK.

Thumbnail by reddirtretiree
Click the image for an enlarged view.

adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

March 20, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9050472

Resin...They were just like me (men who started working for CALFIRE in the early 1950"s) There are still a few of us raoming the earth.
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

March 20, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9050658

A few shots of some of the Cedar Waxwings that have been coming around for the berries on the East Palatka Holly tree.

Thumbnail by gardenpom   Thumbnail by gardenpom   Thumbnail by gardenpom   Thumbnail by gardenpom

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9050706

What fabulous experience for you to see that many Cedar Waxwings all at one setting, gardenpom! Just love it. Red, Nice one of theHooded Merganser, I haven't seen many in person. Cool duck! Pelle, I love those residential birds, by the look of things winter has been very mild there for you too? Duc, last year this time our local Eagle Nest has a few young eaglets. I tried to look at the nest earlier in the month and didn't see any activity there, I need to go back and check. Love you Nuttall's woodpecker, for we don't get to see 'em down here-- I don't regkon. Burn, look at our differences in zonal distance. Your residential birds are just as mine, amazing!

More of the 'water birds' I saw at the local Dam the other day.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

March 21, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9051185

I haven't seen any waxwings in our neighborhood for a long time. Couple of years. Maybe we'll get some through on migration. Those look like cormorants, lily. Spotted this Common Loon in the middle of Broken Bow Lake in SE OK. Only one I saw. Just eased up to him in a boat for a close look and shot.

Thumbnail by reddirtretiree

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9051201

Beautiful shots everyone.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9051204

Thanks Red, welcome home and thank so very much for sharing those 'exotic' birds while you were on vacation. Here on my 'homecation' I was so lucky to have seen Cedar Waxwing intermittently this winter/early spring. These two pics. were taken this morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9051411

Pelle, wonderful shots of your sparrow, robin and cardinal.

Adel, we're very grateful for members of CALFIRE that continue to save our mountains, trees and homes-not to mention lives.

Red, pretty shot of the merganser.

GP, love your waxwing photos-wow, that's a bunch of the beautiful birds.

Lily, nice one of the loons and cormorants. Cute waxwing too-love that red spot on them. Hope the eagles return to nest.

Here's yesterdays bald eagle-he/she sat on this tree for 5 hours and only left for a couple minutes before returning.
This red-tailed hawk sat and watched birds eating seeds on our deck but thankfully didn't bother them.
The rest are my little tree swallows that I just adore.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

March 21, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9051478

Thanks Duc.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

March 22, 2012
2:09 AM

Post #9052329

Great shots guys!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

March 22, 2012
2:27 AM

Post #9052335

Wonderful birds, everyone. GP, I can't get over your Cedar Waxwings. Amazing! And how about you, duc, with Bald Eagles dozing off your deck. How special.

Edited - damned autocorrect.

This message was edited Mar 22, 2012 6:18 PM
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

March 22, 2012
4:02 AM

Post #9052373

It's been fun watching the Cedar Waxwings. They make a lot of noise too. My brother thought someone was doing yardwork till I told him the noise was from the Cedar Waxwings. Sometimes when they come around the Mockingbird is sitting in the top of the Holly tree, and even though they vastly outnumber him, they will not come into the tree when he is there. They land in the top of the tree and work their way down to the remaining berries. There are still lots of Berries, but they are getting lower to the ground.

This message was edited Mar 22, 2012 6:03 AM

Thumbnail by gardenpom   Thumbnail by gardenpom   Thumbnail by gardenpom   Thumbnail by gardenpom   Thumbnail by gardenpom

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 22, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9052590

The Snowy Owl that we keep hearing at night made a appearance to my hubby yesterday, he came down for a drink, I asked my hubby why he did not grab his camera and he said when he opened the door it scared him away. Is there any way to entice the owl to come down more often?

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9052627

Probably not Teddy...and it should be migrating back north now anyway.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9052995

Loving everyone's posts. I just have been able to respond, so lots of lurking.

Her are some spring birds… Song Sparrow, Chipping Sparrow and Robin

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

March 22, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9053447

The birds are getting more active.

Dark-eyed Junco...Steller's Jay...American Robin...Scrub Jay...Fox Sparrow

This message was edited Mar 23, 2012 9:13 AM

Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat

adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

March 22, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9053453

Pine Siskin...Calif. Quail...Spotted Towhee

Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9053661

Boy Adel, you have a nice variety!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9053674

Likes Duc, Adel has a nice collection of them. Your western Jays are quite different from the Blue Jay I see down here. When I visit family out in SW region, I saw some type of quails there...ours-- down here are quite elusive to the point that I thought we've none, but that isn't true. I just don't get to see them out in the field or garden. Mrs. Ed. Love your garden setting, and so do the birds I'm certain of that. Recently I've Chipping sparrows come to grain feeder that hung in the backyard. Other sparrows rarely get off the ground to come to feed. Love those various Sparrows too.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 23, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9053775

I think our owl that we keep hearing at night(and sometimes during the day) is a Screech Owl, because any winter owls would be on their way north wouldn't they? We think we may have a pair because last night we heard two of them.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

March 23, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9053781

Nice shots GP, Mrs Ed and adel !

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9053799

Brown Thrasher among Cherry Blosoms;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

March 23, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9053824

Goldfinches have been clearing out our tube feeder on a daily basis.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9053868

GP, enjoy those waxwings. They do love the berries.

Teddy, what a sight that owl must have been.

Mrs. Ed, nice shots of your sparrows and robin. Looks like the robin loved your pond.

Adel, love that stellar's. Could that pine siskin next to the jay be a song sparrow instead? Cute bird art with the other siskins!

Lily, love your thrasher and blossoms!

This young bald eagle had lunch in his talons, our usual sharp-shinned hawk, a group of house finches and a lesser goldfinch.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

March 23, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9053999

Duc...I mislabled, it"s a Fox Sparrow, not a Siskin. Thanks for catching it.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9055072

That's better yet Adel, I should have looked closer.

adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

March 24, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9055526

The Tree Swallows showed up yesterday and were checking out the boxes.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat

adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

March 24, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9055621

# 1&2 Pine Siskins in a testy mood. #3 A Dark-eyed Junco coming in to referee.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 25, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9056245

It was not a owl that I have been hearing, it is frogs, my neighbor has a small manmade pond in his backyard and there are frogs in there.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9056376

Adel, great shots of your pine siskins and junco.

Teddy, glad you figured out it was frogs.

Like Adel, my tree swallows are still checking out the houses. Meanwhile, when they take off we've got to run out and clear out the nesting materials put there by the house sparrows! Here's some shots of my tree swallows and the female nuttall's woodpecker.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9056657

Nice ones of the Siskin and Junco Adel. Love your Swallows Duc. Ours are also searching for nesting sites. But the treat today for me is the lone Swan. The bird is so beautiful. Funny thing was it was following the Pekin Ducks as if it wanted to protect them "little" ones. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9056669

Such beauty!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9056674

Last;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

March 25, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9056809

Scrub Jay

Thumbnail by adelbertcat

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9057826

Lily, how awesome to find a swan at your dock! Your photos are wonderful-you saved the best for the last one.

Adel, great catch with the jay. I imagine they're all pairing up where you live too. We're seeing them everywhere here.

I took this photo of the crow through the window, but it was as if he was posing for me.
One of many house finches.
A part of the group with a lesser goldfinch.
An oak titmouse singing to its mate.
And a bewick's wren that has lost some tail feathers.

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

March 26, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9058177

Great variety everyone. Some good shots too.
These are some of my regulars , Hairy WP, American Crow, American Goldfinch, Mourning Dove, and Black-capped Chickadee.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9058259

Pileated...

Noticed over the weekend that all the juncos are gone!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9058760

Loving all of the great pictures folks. Not posting right now, but am lurking.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9059102

Burn, loved seeing all your birds. Such a pretty setting on the hairy.

Nanny, some of my juncos have also left but still about 6 here. Love that beautiful pileated-jealousy ongoing here!

We've been getting some much needed rain so the photos will be slim today. From yesterday a male and female tree swallow, a female and male nuttall's woodpeckers, and the female again-such a potbellied little one (she was taking seeds from one part of the log and hiding them in another part).

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9059106

I forgot to ask if I was the only one to see all the little black hearts on the white underside of my woodpeckers?
dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9059146

Thanks for the new thread Lily...your photos are always a breath of fresh air!!

I am lurking and enjoying all the wonderful pics...the sun is shining and it is beautiful today so will be out of lurk mode soon!!

Duc...yes I see those little hearts...so cute. I could get lost in those pics of your Trees Swallows.
adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

March 27, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9059310

The Mourning Doves have started showing up

Thumbnail by adelbertcat

adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

March 27, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9059318

Still some testiness with the Pine Siskins

Thumbnail by adelbertcat

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9059533

[quote="GrannyGrunt"]Loving all of the great pictures folks. Not posting right now, but am lurking.[/quote]

I am another lurker right now...
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 28, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9060317

When should we put out our Hummingbird feeders? I looked at the migration map and they show that they are in Ohio, should I put it out the beginning of April?
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9060321

Beautiful shots everyone ! Nothing new here. This little mourning dove takes her afternoon nap in one of my birdfeeders. I think she feels safe there.

Thumbnail by Countrymom

karen13771
Toledo, OH

March 28, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9060331

teddy, Wild Birds Unlimited sent us, in the Toledo surrounding area, an email the day before yesterday saying that they have been spotted in this area and to get the feeders up.
2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

March 28, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9060422

Out in the yard a few minutes ago and heard this hawk calling to his mate, so I cranked off a few shots. I guess he was inviting her to join him in some snake steak. The third shot is of the mate, trying to catch up.

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave   Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave   Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

March 28, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9060436

Love the Nuttall's duc!

Nice action adel!

Sweet one Countrymom!

Great catch Dave!
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

March 28, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9060813

Love those Hawk shots, Dave. This Red shouldered Hawk was being pestered and divebombed by a Crow. Still have a few Buntings here, including this Indigo. After not seeing either this winter, I am now enjoying a pair of noisy Catbirds, and just began seeing the Great Crested Flycatchers (no pic yet). Red Bellied Woodpeckers here as usual, and the Cedar Waxwings are still finishing up the berries.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2012 6:42 PM

Thumbnail by gardenpom   Thumbnail by gardenpom   Thumbnail by gardenpom   Thumbnail by gardenpom   Thumbnail by gardenpom

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9060827

Great capture of the Hawk Dave. gardenpom, love your series. What a treat to have those variety that you get. Like an old friend. My Redheaded wp came by to visit briefly.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

March 28, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9060851

Another shot of the aerial combat, quite a distance away. What is prettier to see than a male Cardinal? More Waxwing action and a Pelican flyover.

Thumbnail by gardenpom   Thumbnail by gardenpom   Thumbnail by gardenpom   Thumbnail by gardenpom

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

March 28, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9061002

Great shots GP! Love the Bunting, Pelican and Red-bellied Woodpecker!

Sweet Red-headed Lily!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9061015

This group of American Coots probably gather here to bid farewell before they're heading back North. Awww, I will miss them.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

March 28, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9061016

Wow I just uploaded photo's and comments and they didn't go...one more try. Great shots everyone!!!

This message was edited Mar 28, 2012 7:23 PM
Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

March 28, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9061028

Ok, when I click to upload it sends me to the home page and I lose everything I did..but yet I can post this. Ok gang maybe i'll see you around.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

March 28, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9061152

Duc, I like the hearts on your WP.They really do look like hearts. Great images!
Nanny, hope your Juncos are on their way here. Love the Pileated, nice bird to have in the yard.
Nice to see you back on the forum, Adel.
The Doves always find the weirdest places to park, Countrymom. ;)
I like the second shots of you Waxwings on March 20th GP, and the lovely Bunting.
Dave, cool shot of the Hawk with the snake, at first glance. I thought it was a stick. Great capture.
Lily,nice Red-headed WP.
Burd hope you try again soon, would love to see, what you have to share.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

March 28, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9061198

Ok trying just one shot...Horned Grebe from Pipe Creek

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

March 28, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9061199

Yay!...lol How about a Dark-eyed Junco with a touch of leucism.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

March 28, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9061204

Going for 2 this time...Black-capped Chickadee's working on a nest.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos   Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

March 28, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9061213

Ok...going for broke here..5 shots..lol Eastern Phoebe, Tree Swallow's, Northern Pintails, Blue-winged Teal and a Canada Goose.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos   Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos   Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos   Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos   Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

March 28, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9061266

Wow, well worth it. Love the Chickadee shots, building their nest. Cute couple.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

March 29, 2012
2:31 AM

Post #9061410

Sweet Goldfinch burn!

Wonderful pics Burd! Love the Junco, Chickadee's and the rest. Great job!

Thanks everyone for this great thread!

Linth has started a NEW THREAD, please continue posting there. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1249428/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America