Photo by Melody

Pottery, Clay and Ceramics: Finally Bisque Firing!

Communities > Forums > Pottery, Clay and Ceramics
bookmark
Forum: Pottery, Clay and CeramicsReplies: 4, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9049784

Hi all!!! Haven't seen many new posts so thought I'd share whats going on in my neck of the woods!

We're about to start remodeling our dining room, must have the heeting folks come and move the radiator, and we are also having install the in-floor hydronic heating for the kitchen. Not remodeling the kitchen til the dining room is done (hopefully next year) but it's cheaper to get this all done at once. We're going do some of the labor on that hydronic heating, but they will hook it all up.

Anyway, my pottery studio is right under the kitchen, and we have to tear the ceiling out so we can install that heating. So, I packed up my studio so its not in the way etc. I took all my greenware out to the kiln and ran the bisque firing yesterday, I didn't meet my goal of getting the kiln 100% full (it's 7cubic ft capacity) but it was pretty darn close! It's too hot to open now and (of course) my studio is all packed up now so I won't get to start glazing for a few weeks but I'm pretty excited to get on to the next step! (hadn't done a bisque firing since last fall!)

Good thing I still take pottery class as I get to see stuff actually finished more often. Teacher is glaze firing today so I'll have stuff to bring home on Thursday night, think theres a chicken bank, a platter and a bowl (maybe two bowls).

Anyway, hope all is good with you!

Chris
Luvmypond
Troy, OH

March 20, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9049935

That is exciting !!! I love remodeling. We have been in this house 17 years and have remodeled every room. I'm ready to start over ... lol
Sorry your glaze firing will be on hold. You'll love that floor. Wish we would of done that in the bathroom. Have fun with the remodel !!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9050246

I have a wee bit of radiant-heated floor under my desk...it's fantastic. We've been in this house 25 years, and remodeled the kitchen & put in a big enclosed patio. Still a lot to do. My vision for the master bath hasn't changed in 3 years, so if I can get the money together I'd really like to do that next!

I got a good batch of pots out of the school's kilns yesterday. They were the first ones I'd glazed by spraying, so I was a nervous wreck. Some tweaking to do on the technique, but overall I'm really happy with it!
Luvmypond
Troy, OH

March 20, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9050263

Oh, would love to see pics of the pots. Yes, money keeps me from remodeling a lot of things.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9051371

Of course the two bigger bowls I had in this load didn't come out---one I dinked ever so slightly when I set it on the shelf for greenware firing. I thought it was OK, but in glaze firing a big crack opened up. The second bowl has to be refired AGAIN because the glaze pinholed (the first time it was underfired). And both of these are ones I put a lot of relief work into, of course. Sigh...

I did a bunch of cups for glaze tests, and they all came out nice. Also did some small carved and embellished bottles that came out good, and one hanging planter that I'm pleased with.

I have to take pix for my school portfolio, then I'll post them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kiln fired clay questions... WUVIE 144 Sep 1, 2009 3:13 PM
Claylovers' Topics: Bios / Work / Glazes / Firings, etc! #2 zenpotter 66 Jan 8, 2009 7:22 PM
Pottery,clay jcoats123 25 Jan 11, 2009 3:01 AM
Pottery,clay,ceramics,kilns, firing, sculpture, etc. jcoats123 192 Sep 10, 2009 7:52 PM
completed one pot jcoats123 6 Jun 23, 2013 9:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America