Hi all!!! Haven't seen many new posts so thought I'd share whats going on in my neck of the woods!
We're about to start remodeling our dining room, must have the heeting folks come and move the radiator, and we are also having install the in-floor hydronic heating for the kitchen. Not remodeling the kitchen til the dining room is done (hopefully next year) but it's cheaper to get this all done at once. We're going do some of the labor on that hydronic heating, but they will hook it all up.
Anyway, my pottery studio is right under the kitchen, and we have to tear the ceiling out so we can install that heating. So, I packed up my studio so its not in the way etc. I took all my greenware out to the kiln and ran the bisque firing yesterday, I didn't meet my goal of getting the kiln 100% full (it's 7cubic ft capacity) but it was pretty darn close! It's too hot to open now and (of course) my studio is all packed up now so I won't get to start glazing for a few weeks but I'm pretty excited to get on to the next step! (hadn't done a bisque firing since last fall!)
Good thing I still take pottery class as I get to see stuff actually finished more often. Teacher is glaze firing today so I'll have stuff to bring home on Thursday night, think theres a chicken bank, a platter and a bowl (maybe two bowls).
That is exciting !!! I love remodeling. We have been in this house 17 years and have remodeled every room. I'm ready to start over ... lol
Sorry your glaze firing will be on hold. You'll love that floor. Wish we would of done that in the bathroom. Have fun with the remodel !!
I have a wee bit of radiant-heated floor under my desk...it's fantastic. We've been in this house 25 years, and remodeled the kitchen & put in a big enclosed patio. Still a lot to do. My vision for the master bath hasn't changed in 3 years, so if I can get the money together I'd really like to do that next!
I got a good batch of pots out of the school's kilns yesterday. They were the first ones I'd glazed by spraying, so I was a nervous wreck. Some tweaking to do on the technique, but overall I'm really happy with it!
Of course the two bigger bowls I had in this load didn't come out---one I dinked ever so slightly when I set it on the shelf for greenware firing. I thought it was OK, but in glaze firing a big crack opened up. The second bowl has to be refired AGAIN because the glaze pinholed (the first time it was underfired). And both of these are ones I put a lot of relief work into, of course. Sigh...
I did a bunch of cups for glaze tests, and they all came out nice. Also did some small carved and embellished bottles that came out good, and one hanging planter that I'm pleased with.
I have to take pix for my school portfolio, then I'll post them.