What's cooking?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

coming from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1241951/

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Peppered turkey and chevere cheese sandwich on home made 7 grain bread for dinner. (I eat dinner before I leave for school on the nights I teach.)

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Went to lunch with a college roommate that I haven't seen for about 30 years. We went to Iron Hill Brewery. I had a cup of potato leek soup then a beet, goat cheese and green bean salad on Bibb lettuce.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I LOVE potato leek soup, tried to make it but didn't turn out right, for some reason soups never turn out right for me I wonder what I'm doing wrong???

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Last night - mussels and pizza at the Suds Pub in Bethel, Maine (Celtics game - no TV at our summer place), tonight nothing. I diet by fasting one or two days a week which allows me to exercise creativity the other 5 or 6 days.

I've gotten into the habit of letting my Costco purchases drive my dinners about once a week the way the lectionary (prescribed passages of scripture for all Sundays) drives sermon topics in liturgical churches. I'm either doing sausage meals or chicken breast meals or chicken thigh meals. The latter has caused me to make the yummiest dinners. Chicken gumbo (researched on line.... Wikipedia finally explained to me the difference between gumbo, etouffee, jambalaya and creoles), chicken adobo, chicken stew, and some other great chicken thing that I can’t remember… senior moment.
Along with the Coctco’s “lectionary” at least once a week I unfreeze "glop" from the garden in Maine. Caldo verde (kale, beef and chorizo) and callalo (kale, chard, okra, jalapenos and pork) and lots of soups.... blended veggies and chicken boullion and CREAM to make it a sure winner.
These dinners are all winter. In spring we eat chef salads from the garden. And all kinds of other garden stuff in summer and fall.
All seasons interspersed with ideas from this great thread!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Spanish rice with Vienna sausage (chicken). Artichoke heart salad.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Big tossed salads with shrimp an d edamame and other veggies.

Thomaston, CT

LAS, the soups sound wonderful...Victor, love artichokes...have been buying & stuffing them weekly....

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

I remembered the fourth chicken meal for my last batch of Costco thighs. Chicken chausseur or cacciatore... hunter's chicken. Yum!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Went to Outback

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Had dagwoods and italians last night. Was too hot to cook, 85 outside and who knows how hot inside.

Thomaston, CT

Yep...too hot to cook here, too.....had salad & cottage cheese, my fav hot weather meal.....

Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

Went with my wife, eldest son and Dad to Denny's for late breakfast/early lunch today (11:30 am). I had whole wheat pancakes with diced bacon, pecans and strawberries with whipped cream and a little maple syrup. Had a coupon for 20% off entire check, so it was very good food and a good deal. ☺

This message was edited Mar 23, 2012 12:55 PM

Thomaston, CT

Mmm ...sounds good...having a beef-cheddar wurst tonight with coleslaw.....

I LOVE Denny's! Going to try making wild garlic soup today.

Thomaston, CT

That sounds yummy, Memory.....going to a birthday party today, so whatever the restaurant serves....

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Cajun chicken fettechine alfredo .. and boy was it good

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Fried chicken from Acme and homemade broccoil/cauliflower salad....mmmmm, I could lick the bowl it's soooo good

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

DH and I took DS out for wings.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Salad sounds good Jen
I made a pot of meatballs and Italian sausage and took it to the kids with some pasta and sub rolls.

Thomaston, CT

YUM! Tonight I will make some sort of soup.....probably chicken....having pizza for lunch....

Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

Today my wife and I are celebrating 24 years of wedded bliss. She has to be to work by 1:00, so we will be going to Red Lobster on Friday which her first day off this week. So, I'm cooking and making a Velveeta Skillet Dinner - Chili Cheese Mac. These are easy to make and very good.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Happy anniversary!!!!!

And the wine for your anniversary? (Congratulations!)

Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

Thank you. I bought a bottle of a nice Rose Dolce and a bottle of Lambrusco yesterday. We had a glass of the Rose with specialty cheeses and crackers when my wife got home form work last night about 9:45, and are planning the same for tonight.

Congrats, Dave! Nice to see you are still talking to each other. ^_^

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

congratulations Dav and Mrs. Dav. Enjoy your evening Friday

Heard the first 24 years are the toughest...

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

nice.. congrats!!.. soup for sure tonight

Thomaston, CT

Sounds like a fun anniversary, Dave!

Happy Anniversary Dave!

Didn't really know what to do for dinner, so stir fried some chicken tenderloins, and made a sauce with cream, cheese, salsa and corn. Served over rice, topped it off with fresh guacamole and Anaheim peppers.
DH asked what it was called, I said Mexican.

And he just finished what I thought I could take for lunch tomorrow.

Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

My wonderful wife and I decided to go out to dinner tonight to celebrate our anniversary since she worked the day shift today. We went to a great Greek restaurant we frequent called "Greek To Me". They had a special to honor Restaurant Week in WNY - two dinners on their weekly specials menu for 20.12. We both ordered and loved the Greek Platter - chicken and beef souvlaki on skewers, Gyro (pressed lamb), Greek potatoes, a Greek salad, pita bread and a small sundae for dessert. Very good food at a very good price. It was wonderful. ☺

This message was edited Mar 27, 2012 7:29 PM

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

So glad you had a superb dinner to celebrate!!

Leftovers tonight

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

mmmmm I LOVE gyros!!!!

Fish, fries and veggies

Thomaston, CT

Leftover pizza here.....

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Manicotti and meatballs, salad and Italian bread w/cream cheese.

Yum! Homemade sauce, I assume, Ron?

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Chop Suey/Chow Mein. I have celery in the fridge. I like cooked celery, but there are few recipes that feature it. Then I had a flash back to my middle school years. The assignment was to cook a meal for the family. I made a dish of meat, celery, onions, canned water chestnuts, canned bean sprouts and canned mushrooms. Topped with packaged Chow Mein noodles. And thickened with corn starch. This was about 55 years ago! But I remember it fondly. I also have a lot of mushrooms from Costco, so no canned mushrooms.

This certainly won't be the crisp, fresh stir fry I've grown to enjoy in my later years. As my husband says, it will be Chinese comfort food.

The reason I call it by both names is that in my Google search I learned that Chop Suey is thickened with corn starch and is not associated with noodles, while Chow Mein is associated with noodles but is not thickened with corn starch. I think I'll call my dish Chow Suey.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

luvsgrtdanes, what a bold and wonderful departure from convention! Cream cheese on the Italian bread!! Yummm!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.