Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Vegetable Gardening: Anyone planting outside yet or tempted to in Zone 6a

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 25, Views: 183
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
urbanveggies412
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9050111

So I am fighting back the urge to plant outside already. The weather has been so nice and is going to continue being nice for the next 10 days (from the forecast). I am tempted to start some squash and bean seeds outside. I have peppers and tomatoes germinated inside and under the grow light. There is still not enough light outside for me to take the peppers and tomatoes away from the grow light but the energy savings makes it very tempting. Anyone else being risky and planting things outside now that you would normally wait until end of April, beginning of May to do?

urbanveggies412
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9050116

Forecast shows far from freezing/frost temperatures. I wish they could predict up to a month away.
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/15217:4:US

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9050310

urbanveggies412 - I know how you feel. If will help - I'm in zone 7b and have not yet put out tomatoes or peppers. In fact, my tomatoes don't even have their first true leaves.

I did see a volunteer tomato in the garden this morning, so that's a good sign that the soil is getting warmer.

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9050593

Zone 5b here. Just started my tomatoes indoors, cole crops, onions and peppers are sitting outdoors enjoying the unseasonable warm weather (no freezing temps for over 2 weeks now!). In the garden, the shallots and garlic and up and growing, early lettuce and spinach transplants are growing, radish and pea seeds are just starting to sprout. Everything is way ahead of schedule outdoors. I'm just afraid that we're going to get another April freeze like we did in 2007.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9050619

Those of you in northern/cooler climates will be laughing at those of us in Texas all summer. We may be planting now, but when we are stuck inside, under our air conditioners, in July and August--with gardens dry and crispy in the heat, you will be enjoying fresh, delicious, home-grown garden produce. Delayed gratification is often the sweetest!

David
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9050760

i think im in the new zone 7b.. my tomato seedlings are just up..i'll put them under the
lights in a couple days..
my early planting of lettuce are in cold frame and "maybe" couple weeks from picking YEA !!
second planting of lettuce is just comming up..also in cold frame..
we had snow couple days ago..not really cold..but snow..
its gone now..and was low 60sF today.. suppose to be low 70s F for couple days
over the weekend..
im anxious too.. :)
BrainBarrett
Canyon, TX

March 21, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9051196

My area used to be 6B, but was classified 7A last year. I suspect we are still really a zone 6 as we have been forever, but we will see. I started my peppers and tomatoes in mid-February and will be tempting fate planting some tomatoes this weekend. I will be using wall o water's to protect them though. We have had an unseasonably warm spring as many others have and I am trying to beat the hot summers.
cynical_76
Whitmore Lake, MI
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9051457

SO TEMPTED! I'm in 5b (reclassified 6a) and I bought a tomato topsy turvy tree and put it together already. It's sitting there in the 75 degree weather, torturing me. I want to do flower containers already, and all that! But my momma taught me that patience is a virtue :)
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9051476

I have early variety tomatoes harden off as we speak, with another 4 in the wings. I will put them out in large pots on the patio when I can easily cover them if we have cool temps, or ca drag them inside if we get a real scare. Bringing them out early usually doesn't get them to produce much earlier, but it's so much easier than having to juggle everything under the grow lights. Worst case scenario - I lose them. It's not like I can't replace them at this time of year!
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9052727

I'm in 6b (newly classified as well). I just potted-up lettuces, kale & spinach to containers on the patio. . near the back doors & under the eaves just in case this Spring turns to Winter! It can happen-it has before! I'm waiting on my broccoli to get a little larger and until I figure out what has been tramping around in my raised bed where I'm going to transplant it-and what to do about that. I planted carrot & radish seeds in there the other day, but I'm doubtful they will sprout because something has been rooting around near where I planted them. I also planted Egyptian Walking Onion sets. My tomato and pepper seedlings won't even think about going outside till May.. . even if they want to! Stay away from that door!!
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9052761

i planted green onions & mustards out. they should be fine. i will cover mustards if we get a hard freeze. i won't think of putting tomatoes out until mid-may. i usually grow a few "take-your-chances" tomatoes to put out early but have most set aside for later. mine are still just small seedlings anyway. we were just re-classed from 6a to 6b.
cynical_76
Whitmore Lake, MI
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9053328

So glad I'm not the only one getting ahead of myself :)
samthehavanese
Mohrsville, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9054361

Planted some cool weather crops last weekend in the raised beds I built this year. Radishes, spinach, etc. We'll see how they do. It's been warm here, but a cool down is predicted for the next couple of weeks.
irishmist
Rochester, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9054640

Here in 6a I have seeded spinach and lettuce, snow peas. Also direct seeded hardy annuals - sweet peas, shirley poppies, corn poppies, Iceland poppies, bachelor buttons, silene, larkspur, phlox drummondii, bupleurum and agrostemma. Overseeded some cosmos seeds left from last year in the spot where they grew last year as some often self sow there. As a precaution I only planted partial packages of the flowers and reserved some in case of low germination. Any hardy annual that self sows should be safe to plant now in Zone 6a and they will sprout over several weeks, whenever conditions are to their liking. It's important to label planted areas so you can identify planted varieties vs. weed seedlings . Seeded areas must be kept moistened if rainfall is lacking. Keep in mind that if you let these drop there seeds at season's end, you are likely to have very sturdy volunteers in those spots next spring. Survival of the fittest really does work! P.S. Obviously I couldn't wait either!
GenevieveMarie
Grand Haven, MI

March 24, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9055423

I'm in 6b Michigan, and my garden decided to plant itself. I had lettuce seedlings volunteer in February, so I transplanted them in rows were I wanted them. My Swiss chard survived and is growing and I have already harvested brocolli that overwintered. It didn't quite get big enough this fall, and survived a few snows, but started growing again in February. I have tons of side shoots coming in. Looks like being too lazy to pull it paid off! I have seeded some bachelor buttons and sweet peas and radishes as well, plus some snapdragons and I don't remember what else, it will be a surprise! I have seeded in milk jugs a bunch of things I can cover, we'll see how that works!
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9060056

I got my peas, radishes, beets, turnips, thyme, scallions, and some carrots direct seeded, and inside I have the growlights jam-packed with tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, BS, kohlrabi, and greens. Should have started the latter few a bit earlier, but the mood didn't strike until it got warm and sunny. My 2 biggest tomatoes are begging to get outside, but I'm glad I didn't do it last week. Monday night went down to 21 degrees - a wee bit nippy, even under the best of covers!
knufflbunyfarmr
Union City, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9068817

I'm in zone 6b (or newly zoned as 7) and my cabbage has already started to bolt. I'm going to chance it and put out some tomatoes tomorrow. Average last frost date for me is supposedly 4/15 anyway, so hopefully there won't be any cold snaps.
PAMSPACE
Temperanceville, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9070669

Just put up my new patio greenhouse. Some of my tomatoes are going out this week-end. I will also be saving 2 liter bottles to use as greenhouses once the tomatoes are in the ground, our last frost date is around Mother's day, but I have found that if I plant the bottle about a week before the tomato the ground warms up rather nicely. Those 2 liters are also helpful to heat up the soil for peppers.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

April 6, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9071701

I've got the peas, lettuce, beets, carrots, onions, potatoes, spinach and chard in the ground. The cabbage isn't quite ready yet and unfortunately the ground won't dry out enough to get the disc on it. I have tomatoes that are big enough to go in the ground, probably right now around 250 plants with another 400 or so about 3 weeks behind them. If I get the first ones in the ground I'll be putting some plastic row cover over them to try to keep them warm enough. My peppers took forever to germinate so they'll be a good bit behind everything else. I'd like to plant some squash but unless I get that under plastic I'm sure the ground is still way too cold.

Janet
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9071979

I used to have no problum w/peppers, but the past few years, they seem to take forever to germinate. It's enough to make a person crazy!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9072010

Sequee - I had a problem last year with "California Wonder" not wanting to sprout. So, this year, I've purchased a different pepper, and have others that DG members kindly sent me. Now I have a nice selection. "California Wonder" did not sprout this year either!

Having a heat mat this year certainly helped, too.
microbiology1
Foxboro, MA

April 9, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9076088

This season is confusing me too! I have my peas, lettuces, spinach, mustard, chard, carrots, radishes, onions, and beets in the ground. I planted my white dutch clover garden path and grass seeds too. I also go outside and plant a few more annual flowers everyday. I'd rather waste a few seeds than waste growing time I guess! I'm so jealous of everyone in the south that has been growing for weeks or months.
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9076190

i am not very experienced with peppers, but i found this page & followed the advice for peppers.

http://amishlandseeds.com/garden_tips.htm

i dont' know if it helps, but it didn't hurt. i had chilis germinate in one week - 10 days.
rwaterspf1
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9076206

HoneybeeNC, I tried California Wonder last year with seedlings and they did great. Tried them from seed this year and got like 30% germination.

The weather here was so nice in March that I was tempted to plant everything out. Glad I waited because it is supposed to be a frost this week after a month in the 70's and 80's.

-Vaughn
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9076260

weve had the most wonderful weather here last week or so..
i have my lettuces all out from covers..they are "baby" lettuce right now..but
im tempted to get some salad dressing this week >> :)
my tomatoes (still inside) are on their 3 real leaves now.. yea!!!
i was going to plant onions this yr..(walla walla)..but decided no..i'll miss them
in july im sure.. lol

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9077125

Vaughn - we are having the same weather as yourself.

The days are really nice to be working outside, but by 7 p.m. I'm having to bring in the seedlings before it gets too dark.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America