Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
onethree1p
Waconia, MN

March 20, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9050271

I think it's time for me to prune my kalanchoe - anyone have best practices? Or other recommendations for what to do about the 'webby' look of my plant?

Thumbnail by onethree1p
Click the image for an enlarged view.

NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9052512

I have a kalanchoe that happens to need pruning right now too. What I do is wait till temps are warm enough to put it outside so I'm sure it's growing, then I simply cut off any parts that got leggy during it's stay inside during the winter. If they're long you can cut them again to make each section easier to manage. Cut off most of the lower leaves and then you can put the cut off pieces in a jar of water (and some will tell you to put it in a soil mix of some sort but water is easier for me). I dip the stem ends in a rooting hormone first to help them root faster. Some folks root each individual leave but you have a large plant like I do and could end up with a boat load of new kalanchoe plants :-} The mother plant will put out new growth and should fill back out very nicely. I've put a green plastic plant stake right in the center of my kalanchoe and used thin green string to discretely tie it so it doesn't flop over anymore.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9054597

Prune every stem back to just above the first set of healthy leaves proximal to roots, then eliminate any stems that spoil the symmetry of the stem arrangement. This is how you maximize the fullness/bushiness of your plant. Don't be timid - I PROMISE you won't hurt your plant. You really should consider bare-rooting/root-pruning/repotting, too. I would prune now & do the repotting around Father's Day.

Al

This message was edited Mar 23, 2012 9:13 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America