Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

need freshwater snail source

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

Can anyone recommend a source for purchasing freshwater snails for a large pond? i am on the west coast, have turtles and fish in the pond and need snails for filtration and turtle food. thank you

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Ebay has tons of snail vendors...from little ones, to large apple snails.....

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

i saw those and hesitated, have you bought from any of them?

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I usually purchase koi and pond plants....usually the buyers can run off a bad seller rather quickly.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Here our pet stores have them. I know due to recent problems I'm paranoid but quaranteen them for at least a couple of weeks and use parasite dip before adding to pond. Don't want to see anyone else go thru what I've gone thu past 2 weeks and it ain't over yet. My old snails were in first pond that got sick so I treated them also.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

i was looking at ramshorn snails from someone named fishfarmerjohn on ebay, his rating is 100% positive and prices seem reasonable, but was sort of hesitant just because it is ebay. however his shipping charges are way better then the few vendors i found online.
i was going to put them in small pond first and then gradually add to large pond with turtles, so i will definately quarantine them for a while.
dont know if the turtles will eat them all and i should keep some in the small pond in hopes of more snails, or eventually add them all to big one. this is such a new thing for me, just started these last summer cause the turtles outgrew their tank. it is so cool to watch them in a pond setting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.