Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: need freshwater snail source

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 5, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9050466

Can anyone recommend a source for purchasing freshwater snails for a large pond? i am on the west coast, have turtles and fish in the pond and need snails for filtration and turtle food. thank you
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9050503

Ebay has tons of snail vendors...from little ones, to large apple snails...
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9050506

i saw those and hesitated, have you bought from any of them?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9050591

I usually purchase koi and pond plants...usually the buyers can run off a bad seller rather quickly.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9050633

Here our pet stores have them. I know due to recent problems I'm paranoid but quaranteen them for at least a couple of weeks and use parasite dip before adding to pond. Don't want to see anyone else go thru what I've gone thu past 2 weeks and it ain't over yet. My old snails were in first pond that got sick so I treated them also.

Bonnie
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9050856

i was looking at ramshorn snails from someone named fishfarmerjohn on ebay, his rating is 100% positive and prices seem reasonable, but was sort of hesitant just because it is ebay. however his shipping charges are way better then the few vendors i found online.
i was going to put them in small pond first and then gradually add to large pond with turtles, so i will definately quarantine them for a while.
dont know if the turtles will eat them all and i should keep some in the small pond in hopes of more snails, or eventually add them all to big one. this is such a new thing for me, just started these last summer cause the turtles outgrew their tank. it is so cool to watch them in a pond setting.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America