Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Vegetable Gardening: Cotton Burr Compost

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 11, Views: 79
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9050615

I was given 7 full bags of Cotton Burr Compost. I dont know anything about it and was wondering how I could use it in my veggie garden. I ask the person that works at the local commercial nursery where I buy potting soil and she said it was Too Hot to use in the garden. I do no till gardening so I was just going to spread a thin layer on top or put some in each plant hole, but now Im not so sure. Thoughts, advice thanks!

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9050662

Lisa,

If it really is composted, then it isn't "too hot" for garden use. It is high in nutrient value, and can help loosen dense soil. It's my opinion that it is good for the garden. I bought two 10-yard truck loads a couple years ago. I tilled it into my garden and used it to top dress my grass. Both did well and showed no adverse affects.

I would say that you could use it both ways you are considering. Use it to top dress areas where you are planting seeds and work it into the soil in the holes where you are transplanting. If you decide it's too "hot" for your garden, I will drive over and pick it up. ☺

David
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9050701

Thank you! The woman didnt seem to know what she was talking about anyway. But I dont know anything about Cotton Burr Compost. To me compost means its composted. I havent done much to this bed so a easy quick jump start would be wonderful. My youngest son got in there Sun and racked out 2 large black trash bags of tomato plant debris so its just an empty space looking to be amended and planted (after it dries out) from the "toad strangler" we had last night.

As you know you are welcome any time.

I did learn ome thing this year. The pld stall compost that my kids put in the lower is loaded with weeds. They put 2 truck loads in seperate piles in there and there are weeds on every inch of the pills. Now Ill only use that to put in the plant holes Im no longer willing to fight those weeds. I have sowed squash seeds directly in it and they have done wonderfully.

Now, where did I put those ground cherry seeds?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9050770

We use it in our flower beds and love it! Haven't tried it in the veggie garden.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9050816

If you use it in your flower beds and you still get flowers the N content shouldnt be too high which is good to know. : )

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9050867

Lisa, we get LOTS of flowers! I think DH put some in our veggie beds when we started gardening a few years ago, now that I think of it. We've not had a problem with the garden producing anything, except when we don't plant anything. LOL
TX_gardener
Brady, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9051168

Lisa, I've used a bagged brand (name doesn't come to mind) in flower planting areas and love it. This particular brand comes in a 'regular' version and one they call "acidifer" but I haven't tried that one. Maybe should considering pH of soil around here!
Mary
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9051176

Sometimes you get stuff that you dont plant. I remember your posts about gardening despite yourself.

My kids want money so they are ready to help. lol

Im so glad I posted this what that lady told me didnt sound right, I know I could count on DGers.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9051181

You about 3 hrs NW of me. Its very Alkaline here, Ive added amendments for years so I think that helps, but this compost was given to me. Im afraid to fix it if its not broken.
TX_gardener
Brady, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9051182

Lisa, wish I could remember the brand name as I seem to recall hearing/reading something about the demand for the product was at times so high that the co. would bag it "before its time" so I guess that it could be considered hot.
Yeah, I'm still working at improving my gardening skills/results -- actually skills would be great but results would be even better!
Mary
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9051297

Lisa, roses love cotton burr compost! If you think it might be too young and hot for use right now, just throw it into your compost pile and build on it. My roses may start crawling toward you house to get some of that!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9051321

We use Nature's Guide cotton burr compost. The hubby just found 2 bags outside in the storage area that we didn't know we had!

http://www.natures-guide.com/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America