Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: planting daylilies in an existing daffodils bed

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Libelulla
Pittsburgh, PA

March 20, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9050654

Hello,

I have planted last autumn a daffodils bed in front of my house. It is a full sun location.
Now it is all in bloom and beautiful.
This spring I bought some daylilies (happy returns and pardon me) and I would like to plant them amongst the daffodils.
I did not find so far any information about how to plant daylilies in an existing flower bed, and any advice would be highly appreciated.
I have attached a picture with my daffodils bed.

Thank you very much.

Thumbnail by Libelulla
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9102501

I would say that it would partly depend on how closely planted the daffs are. Mine are in clumps and about 7 inches deep or so. There is some room between the patches of daffs to add in another plant. I wouldn't plant any daylilies directly on top of any bulbs. Daylilies form long tuberous roots and may become to thick a cover for any daffs to punch through in the spring especially once the daylilies become established.

Hope that helps=)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9103163

just plant them in between the daffs, the dl foliage will cover up the dying back daff foliage when it grows
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 3, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9109597

You will likely dig up some daffodil bulbs as you plant the perennials (by the way, there's no reason to stop at daylilies...), but all you need to do is to replant the bulbs. If you slice through any bulbs, just replant them too... there is a possibility that they will survive and depending on how the pieces were cut, may even produce a new bulb.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America