Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Fuchsias: need ID on this one

Communities > Forums > Fuchsias
bookmark
Forum: FuchsiasReplies: 9, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 20, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9050891

We had fierce winds here over the weekend and this fuchsia broke off at it's base when another plant collapsed on top of it.
I've forgotten the name of it but I think it had "mosaic" in there somewhere.

It's an upright, grows about 5' tall (here, anyway) and has very large serrated foliage. I was able to salvage cuttings of it,
Bloom on the left is what it looks like when FFO. Bloom on the right is after two or three days. Sorry for the lousy pictures !

Anyone recognize it ???

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9053127

Don't know what it is, but it's gorgeous. They were selling fuchsias at Lowe's yesterday and I was sooo tempted. I guess I could just think of them as annuals. But I feel kinda bad knowing they will die... :(
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 22, 2012
10:50 PM

Post #9053553

It certainly is beautiful. I did a search for the word "mosaic" in the little database of 1500 upright fuchsias I have going, and it wasn't in there. I keep hoping FindThatFuchsia will become searchable. As I am certain you could find it there. But I am betting that "mosaic" was the second half of it's name, so you'd be searching through over 13,000 entries page by page.

bariolio, you'd be amazed what fuchsia can endure if they first survive to become a small bush. This winter, almost every single fuchsia in my collection froze to ground level. Just makes me ill to see all of the dead bushes. Six foot high dead brush. But they are ALL pulling out of it. Some are covered with new growth, some are putting out new shoots from below the surface. Just like I have been told they could do but have never witnessed for myself. Even the new 2" potted babies I bought late last fall and buried as deep as I could, are coming back up!! I am thrilled, as most of the new ones have no photos available of what their flowers look like.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9054195

Well, then maybe the trick for me in my area would be to buy some in the Fall and nurture them over the winter. Then a nice Spring growth and maybe they'd survive. Good plan! Hope I don't forget! Janet
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 23, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9054587

Pedricks: Yes, the "mosaic" is the 2nd part of the cultivar name. This is making me crazy trying to find the name ! LOL
Thanks for the reference to FindThat Fuchsia...never knew about it.
One of these days the name will pop into my head, out of the blue.

Bariolio, try babying them indoors over the winter and you should have success. We get frost here and mine survive it. After I cut them back, I keep them (the potted trailing ones) under some exterior stairs and they bounce right back. They're hardier than you'd think.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 23, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9054706

I did literally spend one winter a few years back, going over that entire list of fuchsias on FindThatFuchsia! I only wanted uprights. And only ones hybridized in the USA prior to the 1980's. Thus my little searchable database of 1500. The one person I am betting would know the name right off the top of his head is Michael Breneman of Fuchsia's Galore. He has been growing fuchsias for decades and is now located inside Aladdin's Nursery on Freedom Blvd near Freedom, CA. He is not easy to get ahold of, but I bet he'd know!
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 25, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9056745

I found the tag for it today as well as a photo from about 10 years ago.
It's "Royal Mosaic" and it's technically a trailer, not an upright. (Lots of good pictures of it if you do a google search for it.)

Then I remembered that the bottom of the wooden basket it WAS growing in fell out, and the plant landed on top of the soil under the tree it was hanging from. This was during another wind storm so I just left it there...and over time it snaked it's way up the trunk of the tree and became an upright.

This time around I'll grow it as a trailer again. This poor plant is definitely a survivor !
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2012
11:48 PM

Post #9058619

That name rings a bell! Glad you found it 's name! Yes, many hanging basket types can become uprights or visa vera. Depending on the conditions they are growing in. Blue Eyes is one that can go either way. Mine is an upright low bush. And is one of the varieties that faired better than others. So is 'Sharkie', 'Annabel', 'Flash', and 'Cardinal'. Everyday, I am thrilled to see all kinds of new growth. 'Seaforth' was one of the ones in full bloom when a cold blast froze it. But it too, is busting out all the way up to the original ends. Then others, like 'President Mario' and 'Fanfare' are having to come back up from below the surface.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 27, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9058978

I was very heavy into fuchsias for years, until that gall mite showed up and decimated my collection. They are extremely easy to grow down here near the ocean.
Some of the names you mentioned sound familiar to me. I can't remember anymore most of the ones I had.
Fuchsia seemed to disappear for a while at the nurseries (down here at least) but now they're back again. Maybe they've gotten the gall mite under control ???
Did you know that back in the '40's the florist industry used fuchsia blossoms in bridal bouquets ? My folks' black and white wedding photo's has a close-up of my mom's bouquet and it had fuchsia's in it.
Who knew ? LOL
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 28, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9060429

Yes, in my book it is a terrible shame that the public and the industry turned it's back on fuchsias except those grown in hanging baskets and treated likea annuals that are thrown away each year, due to the gall mite. After all, there are few ornamentals in our gardens which can survive without being treated for some disease or insect. For example, I dare anyone to grow really nice roses without using anything at all for aphids, rust and mildew! And yes, fuchsia's used to be used in floral boquets. Did you know the flowers and berries are also edible? In Europe, where they are still a favorite item, they are grown as hedges, like they used to here. They can live for over 100 years.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fuchsias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Amazing fuchsias Zanymuse 84 Sep 3, 2009 2:19 AM
Who would like to see a Fuchsia Forum!? PedricksCorner 134 Dec 2, 2009 6:06 PM
Let's get a Fuchsia forum going! PedricksCorner 83 Sep 3, 2009 2:21 AM
help with my fuchsia jjpate 2 Jun 8, 2009 5:38 AM
Fuschia - do I trim this? blackThumbz 15 Sep 4, 2009 4:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America