-
AuthorContent
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #9050923

At the supermarket today they had what appeared to be fresh "pico de gallo" garden salsa in the deli section, and I bought a pound of it. It was labeled "Salsa Rica", but that meant nothing to me - I was just looking for some salsa like I make out of chopped tomatoes, peppers, onions, cilantro, etc., from our summer garden.

At home I got out the chips and found that Salsa Rica is much different from what I expected. It's based on ripe tomatoes and peppers all right, but there were some unidentified sweet flavors, apparently no cilantro, what seemed to be oregano, and it's pretty salty. It's not bad at all - just very different.

Starting to suspect that "Salsa Rica" actually means something outside of my experience, I looked it up online and found that Salsa Rica is like the national condiment of Costa Rica and it's used in all kinds of dishes there. Now, who would have known that in Ozark, Missouri? LOL It's made from tomatoes, peppers, onions, tamarinds, mangoes, "spices" (hence the oregano), and salt. I have no idea if it's meant to be eaten on tortilla chips like I was doing.

Is anyone here familiar with Salsa Rica, and do you know what dishes it could be used in?
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9051104

Very interesting! but I've no idea, just liked reading your story. I believe the main staples of the diet there is black beans and rice. I Googled 'foods of costa rica' and found an interesting site... http://www.vivacostarica.com/costa-rica-information/costa-rica-food.html

however there is no mention of the salsa. Maybe someone will know...Laurel??? I'll bet she knows. ;-))
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9051366

Yes, it's interesting. I found a company that markets foods and condiments of Costa Rica, and they have a commercial version of Salsa Rica. According to them the sauce goes on many things - pasta, salads, rice, beans, meat, etc.

http://www.salicsa.co.cr/sauces.htm

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America