Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: "NO-NO" Plants for around pool?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 6, Views: 100
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #9050956

In just a few days I'm going to be digging up St Augustine and planting a virgin bed--around 2 sides of a salt-water pool. Some plants will be right up to the edge of the water, while others will be as far as 6 - 8 feet out. I'm doing bushes and flowers. Can you help me (I couldn't see where this would fit elsewhere!) with plants that will do poorly if splashed with salt water? (The water isn't salty like the ocean...but salt-based nevertheless.) I'm old and don't splash much any more but have grand babies who will soon be in the pool! Thanks!!

Thumbnail by Connie_G
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9107347

Any answers on things NOT to plant around a salt pool? Trying to bump this up a bit as I've gotten no replies.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9107485

Hi Connie. Here is some info for you on salt tolerant plants

http://landscaping.about.com/od/landscapingproblems1/a/salt_tolerant.htm

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/07/08/Homes/Grow_a_backyard_oasis.shtml

Salt-Tolerant Plants

Swimming pool owners who prefer to use salt water in their pools do so to avoid any chemical or allergic reactions produced by cleaning agents used in traditional sanitized pools. Splashes of salty water can cause plants nearby to weaken and deteriorate. Salt causes water to move out of the plants in a process called exosmosis. This often results in the marginal burning and loss of leaves in non-salt-tolerant plants, especially on young leaves. Date palm, queen palm, jade plant, hibiscus, kalanchoe and star jasmine are a few examples of salt-tolerant plants that you can use near the salt-water pool.

Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9108408

Thanks, Moonhowl! Hibiscus does sooo well here in the summer, then freezes back in the winter, to start all over! I'll look into the other things you mentioned!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9108908

If you have a drainage channel between the pool and the bed...use a pretty rock as an edging, it will channel away a lot of the oversplash from the pool. It can increase your plant choices some. Hope the links are helpful.
kitten0115
La Vergne, TN

May 5, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9111439

i have had clients with salt water pools and had the water checked for salt content to make sure the plants and trees weren'tgetting to much. the amount of salt is minimal and wont hurt just about any plants.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9115981

Oh...good news, Kitten!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America