Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

My wife will threaten to kill me for 1 minutes

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

This morning I sat listening to my wife explain to her little Pomeranian (Mz Vickie) how Mommie just did not want any more animals to take care of.

Blah! Blah!Blah!

Well, I just got to share this:

She loves silkies. Her last group who were here special loves were destroyed by stray dogs in one big swoop.

When 4 new silkies arrive next week, I know I am in for a lecture on how I collect animals but she has to care for them; then I can go do whatever, while she claims her new babies.

Been there done that

Her reaction is going to be a gift I treasure. Can't wait.

This message was edited Mar 21, 2012 6:38 PM

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Can you have a camera ready? One that will get the quick changes of expression that's sure to follow...

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

hahaha...My hubby has threatened me too if I bring home any more ducks, geese, chickens, dog...etc etc. Then he goes on to say after they have been here a few days how cool they are. Blah Blah Blah alright! But I am the one that takes care of them so why he complains is beyond me...hehehehe.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2012 7:01 PM

(Zone 6b)

Be sure and let us know how it goes. :)

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

waves from just down the road..... If I see a small mushroom cloud next week, I'll have an idea whats going on. Good luck!

This message was edited Mar 25, 2012 3:35 PM

This message was edited Mar 25, 2012 3:37 PM

(Zone 6b)

DG so needs a Like button. So funny moxies!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Like Like LIKE!!!!!!!

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I threatened my DH when my previous Corgi died. NO no no! He kept showing me photos and I kept saying No! So he had a breeder show up here at work with the Corgi puppy he just bought for me. Now I can't see how I went for so long without a Corgi in my life! Good luck with the silkies!

Richmond, TX

Smart man!

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

Well, the chicks got here, my wife was thrilled. One problem, I don't think I received silkies. I understand all silkies will have dark (black skin) and 5 toes, maybe feathered legs. None of these have any of those characteristics.

Here are photos, any comments?

Thumbnail by gessieviolet Thumbnail by gessieviolet
Bridgewater, ME

This is one of my white baby silkies,notice the feathers on the legs and feet and the black skin and legs,and five toesI don`t see any silkies in your pictures but they are not close up pics,They also will have blue ears when they get older.

Thumbnail by green04735
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

UH -OH! definately not Silkies....but cute!!

Richmond, TX

Too bad they aren't Silkies, but now we can have a guessing game to figure out what they are!

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Not an expert at all, but in the first photo the chicks look just like my Buff Brahma chicks. But this is just a guess as the most recent chicks I've seen and held in my hands are Brahma chicks! All chicks are cute....hope these grow up to be just a cute!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

These chicks look to be all clean legged, are they?

(Zone 6b)

I was trying to look at pictures of mine when they were babies. It appears they did have at least some feathering on their feet. Forgive the loud tape I had playing, you might want to mute that, but here is a video of three of mine. All of them turned out to be roosters, of course. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rub8ipogHwA

You know we were just talking about some deceptive practice by some of the people that sell chickens. If they are not silkies, what can you do, send the little guys back? They know how to get us don't they?

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Okay, I think I'm seeing 8 chicks, 3 yellow, 5 chipmunks, all clean legged. No Silkies :(

Silkie babies;

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Silkies/BRKSilkChix.html

Did you order these, or get them locally?

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Okay, here's a discussion of "chipmunk chicks";

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/502621/please-clear-up-the-chipmunk-chick-confusion-pic-heavy

And here's the thead on yellow chicks;

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/486816/yellow-chicks-become-generally-what-color-as-adults

So, I give up....:)

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks for all the observations. Yes, there are a total of 8 chicks --- supposedly: 2 polish (crested) pullets; 2 easter egger pullets and the 4 silkies

They were ordered from a nationally known hatchery whom I have already contacted. I am assured that the silkies will be replaced if the hatchery determines they sent no silkies; sent pictures that are posted here. Do you think there can be any question after seeing the photos.

They are beautiful little birds, but I waited for 2 years to be able to order these; they were meant as a special gift--so I am disappointed; plus I am already illegally housing 12 more hens (ordinance allows 5) than I am supposed to have. Now here are 8 more chicks--Lord, I am glad everybody else in town is breaking this law to a lesser degree!!

Richmond, TX

I think they sent you someone else's order. I couldn't identify any of the chicks as the breeds promised!

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

I'm with porkpal, here. What color were the Polish supposed to be? They should have obvious "topknots". EE's can look like just about anything. Were they Ameracaunas, you could look for leg color, but I think EE's can be anything. I do think it's grasping at straws, though that's not your order. If that was the whole order you might have ordered from My Pet Chicken, who are usually prety good at responding to customer needs. Hope you can straighten this out, and get the birds you really want....

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

The chipmunk looking ones could be your Easter eggers so it looks like you have 5 EE and 3 of something else.

Richmond, TX

It would be rare for five Easter-Eggers to be so uniformly colored. Do any of them have the Ameraucana cheek tufts? I still think you got the wrong order altogether.

(Zone 6b)

Patridge silkies have the chipmunk colors too.

Richmond, TX

- But with five toes and black skin.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

I'm still with porkpal. My Ameracaunas (close to EE, and in fact probably _are_ EE's) have colored legs, and even as day olds, had cheek tufts. They also varied wildly in coloring. Silkies are obvious, both by size and appearance, especially foot-wise. They would have topknots, as well.

These ain't your babies....:(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.