Each year the Garden Dahlia Committee of the American Dahlia Society selects 3 cultivars to be evaluatede by growers from all parts of the country. At the end of the season they send in their evaluation and the cultivar recieving the most votes is declared ADS Border/Container Dahlia of the year. Here are the
Evaluation characteristics for Border/Container program.
1. Early bloom (first bloom date)
2. Height. How does it grow without staking?
3. Quality and number of blooms throughout the season (did it bloom continuous or in flushes)
4. Quality of bloom color and foliage.
5. If grown in a border with other plant material what worked well?
6. If grown in a container how did it perform with other plant material or did you grow it alone.
7. Rate and Rank the dahlias you grew.