Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: problems with brussel sprouts. novice needs help.

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 12, Views: 88
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
skooltcher
Lancaster, CA

March 22, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9052553

started a bunch of plants indoors in february. they are all looking good. however, these brussel sprouts along with cauliflower and broccoli are stunted for some reason. they are all in the same potting soil, so i don't know what the problem is. any advice?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9052574

How are they stunted?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9052886

Have you fertilized them?
skooltcher
Lancaster, CA

March 22, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9053270

just extremely small. they've barely grown at all. their growth is stunted. the potting soil is already equipped with plant food. should i add more?
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9053274

Do you still have them in the house, under lights. They need to be outdoors, with plenty of fertilizer.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9053524

What you are growing all need cold temps- get them outside before they bolt to seed!!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

March 26, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9057869

I would start to harden the plants off by placing them outside during the day time and bring them in at night, Do this for about a week then leave outside another week after which time you can safely plant them ALL in the garden, make sure they are firmed into the soil well so they don't rock about should a breeze / wind come, keep free from weeds and care for them as always with watering regularly, feed if required and wait for harvest when you can fill your tummy's and freezer. should you find the Cauli heads getting too much sun, take a couple of leaves and cover the heads hold the bent over leaves in place with wire bent like hair clip or a small net placed over the bent leaves, nets like the things you buy onions in from the store, you can buy spring bulbs in these net bags too. Good luck, WeeNel.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9057896

A word about growing Brussels Sprouts -- I discovered this last season, when all I kept getting were "blown" sprouts (wouldn't stay tight and hard -- kept opening like tiny cabbages...), that BS must be grown in soil that is hard as CONCRETE!. They absolutely require it, and they want it.

Something about anchoring the shallow roots so those big heads don't topple over...staking them just doesn't seem to do it, when they're planted in soil that's too loose...

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9058187

My mother always threw the Brussels sprout seeds into the rock pile! They must have grown during the winter, because I remember having to brush off the snow when I picked them.
TX_gardener
Brady, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9058781

maybe that's what's wrong with my BS -- they are the shortest most compact plant you could imagine and the leaves and sprouts are really jammed up -- I have to cut the lower leaves off in order to the sprouts room to grow larger (which I read should be done anyway). Harvested a few sprouts and like a dummy left them on top of another planter, forgot about 'em, but something had already gotten them when I went back to get them!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9059100

Mary,
What variety of BS are you growing? I did Catskills, and Long Island Improved. Never did get a tight BS...

My plants were huge. But, I don't think I'll be planting them again. Not enough bang for the buck...

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

TX_gardener
Brady, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9060127

Linda, I bought plants from wm (seems like many months ago) and they had tags but of course they're long gone ... what kinda critters go for plant labels? LOL I've started a little more strength on their fertilizer -- we'll see. Since I consider BS an expensive buy at the store I really would like some good production. I'll just keep on keeping on.
Congrats on your tomato setup (diff. thread).
Mary

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9060165

Thanks, Mary.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America