Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Cucumber Seedlings

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 6, Views: 107
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
klriedel
Ottawa
Canada

March 22, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9052740

Hi There,

This is my first time planting from seeds :)

I planted my National Pickling seeds 9 days ago on March 14th. They have really grown since then and I am curious to know if they are growing ok :)

I have attached a picture and I would appreciate any feedback!

Thanks so much!

Thumbnail by klriedel
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9052812

The seedlings look good, but there may be a problem. When do you expect to plant outside? I would guess that in Ottawa that it is still quite some time. I know that people with shorter growing seasons start their plants indoors to get a start of the season, but I would guess that you may be a little early for your cucumbers. If the plant gets too big, it won't transplant well. From everything I've read, two or three weeks is the most that the plants should be started before transplanting. You may also have difficulty with enough light for the plant. The seedling will stretch toward the available light and will get really "leggy" and fragile if there isn't a strong source of light.

Here's a link that mentions transplanting and has more information on growing cucumbers:

http://www.gardenersgardening.com/growingcucumbers.html

David
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9053387

As David said I think you are way too early. I may start a couple April 15 with the intention of planting them May 1 on some black plastic and covering them up with something like a milk jug or maybe plastic. I'm about 120 miles south of you.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9053467

They look great! Just be sure to rotate the seedlings so they grow straight rather than at an angle. You can always transplant into a larger container, like a SOLO cup or a 16 oz styrofoam cup when they get their first set of real leaves. Just cut some slits in the bottom and side of your peat cup and plant it in the larger size container.
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9078656

well, they look alike mine did. did you steal them from me, just joking. so far they look great.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9079562

Or, plant them in this hydroponic trash can, and keep them in your garage. Then, pull the can outside when the weather changes...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9078290
urbanveggies412
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9079656

do you have a lamp with a cool fluorescent bulb in it? If so I would put that thing right over top of this plant, maybe two-three inches away and see if it stops it from stretching for the time being until you can plant it outside. you may want to put it into a taller pot and cover the exposed stem. roots will grow from the stem and the you will also have more room to let it grow properly(not stretching vertically so much) with the proper light.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America