Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Pottery, Clay and Ceramics: warped weird rain chain

Communities > Forums > Pottery, Clay and Ceramics
bookmark
Forum: Pottery, Clay and CeramicsReplies: 16, Views: 83
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9052985

HI all,
Attached are 2 pictures froma piece I just took out of the kiln.I made it several years ago and finally fired it.It didn't turn out like it should have. I slid it thru a strog bead rod and placed it on top of two tall posts. The glazes ran and fused it all togther. So now it looks like a strange piece of sculpture. A friend suggested that I slide it onto a branch and hang small hummingbird feeders from it.

Deb

Thumbnail by mommacat11   Thumbnail by mommacat11
Click an image for an enlarged view.

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9053253

It's beautiful just the way it is! My only concern would be it might be too fragile to support something as heavy as a hummer feeder. Maybe you could wire some sparkly beads to it with copper wire? Or just hang it up and enjoy it!
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9053285

ohhh sparkle wire might be nice... hang it in my garden.
Love you all!
Luvmypond
Troy, OH

March 22, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9053376

That is so cool !!!! Love the colors. Great suggestion with the copper wire and beads. That's why I love this forum. So many ideas from so many talented people.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9054196

Can't wait to see what you do with it!
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9054532

Hey, I think I read the original posts from when you first made this and thought "now how is she ever gonna glaze those?" They are a cool sculpture and great colors! Copper wire and beads will look great!

If you try these again maybe make the each ring seperately then connect them with some other type of ring (copper maybe?)

mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9054541

Hi Ima and CHrissy,
Yeahhhhhhhhhh I always wondered HOW am I going to glaze and fire this without it fusing together...welllll no big surprise. I may have to try Chrissy sugestion and connect them with wire...

Chris myfriend and instructor suggested that I just fire it to bisque...but I douibt it would last long. OH!!! I KNOW!!!! I could use ACRLYIC PAINT on it then seal it!
Opinions?

Deb
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9054552

Not a huge fan of acrylic paints but what I would do is try it both ways, I get crazy like that some times!

Oh oh... or you could try doing underglaze on them to get the colors then just do clear paint/sealer. (rather than colored acryllics)...ok try it all 3 ways LOL
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9055113

But CHrissy,
Even if I glaze it with underglaze and fire it it would still fuse togther...right?
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9055285

Nope, underglaze is just a really thin colored slip, slip is just really wet clay (the consistency of creamy salad dressing, sometimes a bit thicker). Of course the fired underglaze will look like colored clay, it wont have a glossy or matt finish. Underglaze 'moves' very little, so it's often used on greenware for detail work.

For example: When i make animal shapes I do little details e.g., the eyes, feet, etc on the greenware using underglaze then bisque fire; after bisque firing, before glazing the rest of the peice, I cover the detailed/underglazed areas with clear glaze (sometimes I put wax resist of that so I can wipe off any of the other glaze i may accidentally get on the detailed area).

But, with that said...fyi... i was just at a craft store and they had 'patio paint' it said its for outdoor use on terra cotta, concrete, etc and was in the same isle as the acrylic paints. that may work for you too!

mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9055743

Whenever I use an underglaze I ALWAYS put a clear coat over it bring out the gloss... Are you sure about an underglaze NOT fusing together?

Deb
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9055825

Depends on the underglaze. Some contain glaze elements; some are only slips; some are oxides. If you put clear glaze over any of them, the clear glaze can fuse.
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9056024

Here's a link to that stuff I saw in the store yesterday, bet you can get it at Michaels or Hobby Lobby: http://www.decoart.com/cgi-bin/Products.cgi?Patio_Paint

It says it'd work on ceramics so it may be your solution.
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9056230

THanks Chrissy!
I'll definitely look for it at MICHAELS!!! THanks!!!
Deb
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9083127

If you consider the bisque-and-paint option, but decide against it due to fragility issues - why don't you just fire the unglazed piece to its higher glaze temperature and then paint it? There's no law that says you have to have glaze on a piece to fire it to full strength. Just make sure you use a ^6 clay. Using a low fire clay wouldn't help with fragility, 'cuz low fire clay never gets super strong...

Also, there's another DecoArt product of inexpensive craft paints available at Joann's Fabrics (which I'm only recommending because there might be one near you) called "Americana Gloss Enamels" which you can paint on and "fire" to permanency in your home oven. I don't THINK it would fuse together like real glaze, cuz I've never tried it on a chain like that - but it's worth a shot...

Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 17, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9085765

Oh, and if you like the idea of ceramic chains, have you ever seen Ruth Borgenicht's work? She's a phenomena!

http://ruthborgenicht.com/
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9093090

Heyyy PLANTS,
SO sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I have had a lot going on here.
I looked up Ruth's website... HOLY MOSES!!! You were right! Her works ARE amazing!!!!
HOW does she do it???

I am in awe!
Deb

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kiln fired clay questions... WUVIE 144 Sep 1, 2009 3:13 PM
Claylovers' Topics: Bios / Work / Glazes / Firings, etc! #2 zenpotter 66 Jan 8, 2009 7:22 PM
Pottery,clay jcoats123 25 Jan 11, 2009 3:01 AM
Pottery,clay,ceramics,kilns, firing, sculpture, etc. jcoats123 192 Sep 10, 2009 7:52 PM
completed one pot jcoats123 6 Jun 23, 2013 9:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America