Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vegetable Gardening: How do you grow Baby Bok Choi - a.k.a. Toy Choi?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 17, Views: 112
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9053952

I purchased some Baby Bok Choi from one of those big warehouse places a couple of weeks ago. I had never tried these before, but liked them so much I want to grow them.

I have purchased seeds of something Burpee calls "Toy Choi" which looks exaclty the same as the ones I liked.

http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/cabbages/chinese-cabbage-pak-choi-toy-choi-hybrid-prod000626.html

I assume these do best grown in cool weather. So I should grow them in the fall/early winter?

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips ^_^
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9054212

I have not grown Toy Choy, but do grow New Nabai. It will grow in late winter, early spring. Needs about the same conditions as radishes. Bolt quickly when temps rise . Does better in fall but still has a relatively short harvest window. They take a bout a month from seeding to harvest. These are small plants only getting about 6 inches so they can be planted at 4-6 inch spacing. They will thrive in any soil that a radish or a cabbage will.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill   Thumbnail by Farmerdill   Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Click an image for an enlarged view.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9054624

I love Bok and Pac Choi. I started from seeds in early August and transplanted outside in September.
They are the first greens to grow really fast ... even faster than lettuce.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9055139

Thanks Farmerdill and drthor.

Broccoli does well here all winter. Do I assume that bok choi will not? I was hoping to stagger sow them during the fall for winter harvest like I do broccoli.

I could grow them under row covers to keep them a little warmer.

It's good to know they grow really fast!

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9055165

I like Farmerdill's comparison to radish. They really are that simple and quick to grow. If allowed they will reseed all over the place too. I tend to like that..food without trying :0) I would experiment, I don't think you'd need a row cover. But since I've been growing them, the winters have been so mild, it's hard for me to say for certain.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9055312

They shouldn't need cover for temps- being in the cabbage family they really do best when it is cold. Warmth will make them bolt fast. My only problem was aphids. I found some live aphids yesterday on my overwintering strawberies! I guess they just hunkered down and spent the entire winter there!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9055329

cocoa_lulu and Jo Parrott - thank you for your info.

This is just what I needed to know. Seems like I'll be able to grow these this fall/winter. I am planning to have a new area open by then so I can grow all kinds of cold weather veggies.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9055457

My little ones planted in January are almost ready for harvest now. The early heat hasn't seemed a problem so far, but last year I was able to harvest them for a long time, I think up until June. They were in a spot that had afternoon shade, which may have helped. I saved seed to use next fall/winter, too.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9056265

catmad - thanks for the tip about afternoon shade. This helps me know where to place them in the garden.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9057214

Hope so. I really like these little guys, and miss them when they're gone :)

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9057280

HoneybeeNC
I finally found my pictures of the Pak and Bok Choi I planted last fall.
This picture was taken on November 24.
I started them from seed in August.
As you can see in the picture they have started to bolt already. The Pak Choi (the purple one) never grew really big.
The Bok Choi taste really good, but very similar to Swiss Chard, in my opinion.
The Kale I started at the same time are bolting now ... so I had a much longer season from them.

Last spring I did plant both Bok and Pak Choi in my flower bed.
Have a look at the second picture: the Bok Choi bolted rather quickly (see the small yellow flowers) while the purple Pak Choi looked great.

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor
Click an image for an enlarged view.

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9057285

Ooh, I like that purple, very pretty.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9057288

Definetely the Purple Pak Choi is very decorative.
Also you can see that the spring Choi looks perfect, while the fall Choi has little holes in the leaves ... which is telling me that he likes to be planted in the spring here rather than in the fall.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9057307

I use a feather duster dipped in DE and go around 'dusting' my non-blooming greens. Looks crazy, but it works :0) I get a lot of cabbage loopers type worms in the spring and fall.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9057375

I rather don't use any pesticide at all ...
I normally don't have any problem ... apart pill bugs ...
Actually I didn't mind who was eating the Choi , because they left alone all the other greens ... which I did like much more.
So it did work like a "catch crop".

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9057637

Thanks for sharing your photos, drthor. Those purple ones look very nice. I bet they contain more anthocyanins than the green ones, too. Do they taste the same as the green box choi? If so, where did you buy the seeds?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9057778

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=choi
I bought them from Johnny's.
I really didn't care much for the purple Choi ...
I think I will grow only the green and maybe the purple for the flower beds

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9058133

Thanks, drthor. Maybe I'll try the purple ones next year, I've already purchased the Toy Choi for this fall.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America