Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Daylilies: It's Spring Chat and Pictures

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 222, Views: 2,041
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9053980

It is Spring so I think we needed a new chat and pictures thread as the old one was getting really long and was for winter. Winter is truely over around here!

The bloom in my garden is mostly the daffodils that have been fabulous this year. But the daylilies are coming on. All have started growing, some taller than others. Last fall I really piled on the mulch of fall leaves so my gardenbeds are a sea of thick mulch with plants showing in many places.

Daffs are strong now as I have been planting daffs and tulips in and around the daylily beds to give them an extra season of blooms. I love to get extra color from my daylily beds!

Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Click an image for an enlarged view.

floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9054421

Rita, I also like that split daff. So unusual.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9054436

I have gotten so many compliments on the picture of the split corona daff. People really, really seem to like it. My idea of daffs is that they should have trumpets. Can be small ones or flaired ones as well as the long trumpets commenly seen on the traditional daffodil. But the wide flairing broken inside part just doesn't fit into my idea of what a daff should look like. Guess I am just weird. I don't know why I bought those split coronas. But they are here and here they will stay.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9055083

My daffs were pretty sparce as I just divided and moved them, but this is my little tulip bed next to my driveway.

Thumbnail by Crit
Click the image for an enlarged view.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9055378

Oh, that is very pretty.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9055497

That is real nice Crit.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9055538

I have been working on my spring cleanups around the garden this past week and a half as it has been so warm. Unseasonably warm for mid late March. I finially got all the roses prunned back for the major spring prunning but I was really annoyed with myself because the roses were already leafed out by the time I was finished. I have a lot of roses. Honestly, this is exactly when I do the rose spring prunning each year, mid late March and they have never been leafed out in years before. So this is unusual but it seems to be a very early spring this year after a warm winter with no snow.

I takes me long enough to get all the roses done but while I was spring prunning I was also chopping back and trimming some shrubs around here plus all my butterfly bushes and my honeysuckle. And now I will have to start spraying the roses with fungicide already this week. Which is an annoyance as it is early in the year. But once the leaves come, they need spraying every two weeks all season.

At least I don't have to spray the daylilies!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9055591

Well, I have both my small 35 gallon ponds cleaned out and new water in. It is always a stinky mess. The fall leaves blow in all winter and start to decompse in the water and when they are dregged out in the spring they really smell. But I dump them both each year. First I bail out the water and leaves with a bucket. Then I pick them up and scrub them out and after that I put them back and fill with water. I put feeder fish in them that I buy el cheapo from the pet shop to take care of any mosquito problem. Can't get fish quite yet as that water was COLD! One is in ground with these paver blocks that it rests on so that it can be lifted and put back in ground. The other is one of these patio ponds which means it stands above ground. Not on my patio though but in the shrub border.

I haven't done anything about my big 350 gallon in ground pond as that has fish in it which overwintered from last summer. I don't want to mess with it yet as I figgure I will have to add some water after scooping bottom sediment and putting in the pond filter to clear the water. Will wait for warmer weather.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9056442

Rita it sounds like you have your hands full. Switching to spring chats and pics was a good move.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9056491

I got lots and lots acomplished during the exceptionally warm weather. It needs to be done each spring and this year needed to be done earlier than usual. Not that there is nothing left to do! It is a garden after all, always something needs doing.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9057221

Boy thats for sure Rita. Never ending work in the garden.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9059009

Daffodils are really blooming up a storm in my front yard.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9059012

Very nice Rita. I had some with the pink trumpets but they only lasted about 2 seasons. None have come up this year.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9059070

Those shots are all in the front yard but the first three are in the belgium block mini terraces. I bought 200 of the scheepers long trumpet mixed daffs and planted them along in there. I am so very, very pleased with that mix. It goes from early blooming daffs to late bloomers and all sorts of colors. And waves of new daffs open so that it has a fabulous look of blooms.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9059875

Rita, thanks for the new thread. Your daffs are looking great. Mine are coming one really well, too. Will have to post some pics soon.

Love the tulips, Crit. I don't have many. I have one small red one in bloom now.

Ugh! I will have to start spraying my roses, too, and clean out my 2 small ponds. Yes, a stinky mess, but they look so nice once they get done. I also have some large areas that will be getting hit with tough brush killer this year to get rid of tradescantia, mint, Jerusalem artichoke, artemesia, raspberries and blackberries, which are hellish to deal with. These areas are just too big to dig up, and will have to wait a year before I can begin planting there. So much to do, and I've been doing a lot of cleaning and clearing already. It's looking good, I must say, and I'm loving the unseasonably warm days for getting a jump start on all the work, even if it means a little extra work as well.

Rita, when I clean out my ponds I attach a hose to my pump and pump the water out. So much easier than bailing it, which I've done in the past.

Karen

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9060396

Karen these small ponds are under tons of tress and shrubs. Too many leaves fall in during the winter for anything but hand bailing. But if I need to empty my big 350 pond I do use the pump and let it just empty most of the water for me that way.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9060483

Oh, I see. My bigger pond is only 6'x4' and about 15" deep, but it does get a lot of leaves in it. I hate cleaning it out. The smaller one is much easier to clean. It's a round, tub pond.

Karen

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9060564

That small one I cleaned out is only 35 gallons. In fact both small ones I cleaned out are only 35 gallons. My other pond, the "big" pond is the 350 gallon stocktank that I have in ground. That one I pump out rather than bail. Also it doesn't ever get as many leaves in it as those other two being in another different area of the yard.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2012 11:05 PM

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9061264

I remember when you put in that stock tank pond. I followed your thread on your progress on that. Quite and accomplishment.

Karen

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9061271

It was a big project but one I am really, really pleased with. That pond looks so good what with the rocks around it.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9061961

First pic is the small round pond in the backyard. It is 35 gallons, 36 inches round and 12 inches deep.

The others are of the "big" pond that is the stocktank in ground. I wanted it too look as natural as possible that is why all the rockwork around it.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9061982

Standing in the driveway looking at the slope uphill were the daylilies are planted in the straw mulch. As they grow you can't even really see the straw between them as the daylily leaves just cover it all up. I want to add some daffs along in there at the very bottom of the rows of daylilies along the driveway. I am thinking of doing a trench at the feet of the daylily rows at the very bottom and putting lots and lots of daffs along the driveway. Then I will have more spring bloom and they will be gone by the time summer comes and the daylilies bloom.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9061983

To give you an idea of how the gardens all tie together here I am standing looking at the top garden. The daffs you see are the ones you can see part of in the very first picture. Then that all wraps around looking more left towards the front yard pond. Daylily slope would be right from this area, especially right towards the first of those two pictures.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9062667

Very nice, Rita, and you really save yourself a lot of work by leaving all the leaves down. I'm such a neat and tidy freak, I have to rake up all the leaves. Not only that, but I have invasive quack grass growing in many of my beds, and it's more troublesome to get at if all those leaves were there.

I do put down a mulch of composted cow manure when I can get to it, but often many beds never get mulched, as there's just too many other things to do. I usually don't fertilize or give extra water to my daylilies during dry spells, and they still do exceptionally well. I'm sure they'd do even better with fertilizer and extra water when needed. The beds that I get around to mulching with the cow manure also are receiving fertilizer from that as well.

Karen

poplarcreek
Baltimore, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9062694

Donna Dietsch was here visiting her seedlings today. She has introduced several daffodils, including Jasper Mills (pictured), which is a terrific plant. We have some if it - a great bloomer and a great show flower. She plants some of her seedlings here as she has limited space in her city garden. Lucky us.

Thumbnail by poplarcreek

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9062706

Oh, yes, you are lucky!

Karen

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9063155

Karen, I don't just leave the leaves that have fallen. I go around each falll and collect leaves to put around my gardens so that they are heavily mulched. It works great here and I never would be able to manage otherwise as I am sure the weeds would take over. This way almost no weeds.

poplarcreek, that is a lovely bunch of daffs. Lucky you indeed!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9063405

Here is the other one of my two 35 gallon small ponds. This one stands above ground in my shrub border.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9063737

Rita, my smaller pond is the same size as yours, and round as well.

I can imagine that the leaves really do keep down the weeds.

Karen
lily_bud
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9064359

newyorkrita, I've always loved looking at pictures of your gardens. They look terrific in every season. You're such an inspiration to me.

I have 3 of the round 35 gallon ponds. I keep 2 of them on my deck because like to see my waterlilies up close. This makes my deck pretty crowded, but it also keeps the grass clipping from getting in the water when they mow the lawn. I have a third pond out in the yard and it always gets the grass clippings floating on the surface. I am renting the house, so I can't dig a hole for a real pond.

This has not stopped me, however, from putting in three 4'x8' raised beds for herbs and vegetables, and two 3'x30' borders along the fences in the backyard.

One of the 30 foot borders is supposed to be a daylily bed, but I think my English cottage garden may overflow into it a bit.
I planted a few things last year, but I will really be planting out into the beds for the first time this year. It has taken 2 years to get rid of the thistles.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9064383

Thank you lily-bud. I have been hard at work on my garden for more than ten years now and I am very pleased with the way it has all come together.

I know what you mean about the grass clippings. I end up with grass clippings in my back small in ground pond each time the grass is mowed. In spite of that, I do like that it is in ground.

These past two years I really have made a big effort to add spring bulbs each fall. This fall I intend to add even more and it will be by far my biggest addition yet in one year. I plan on large amounts of crocus, then daffs and tulips and some others. Adding daffs and tulips in and around the daylily beds really makes a very big diffence in spring color. The more I add, the more I want to keep adding more bulbs.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9064409

Front yard views from yesterday. Today everything is soaked from the rain overnight. I wanted to show this section so that people can see how I use the spring bulbs as part of the overall plan to have someting blooming in sucession from early spring till fall.

You can see the daffs along there and for the summer as the daffs die back I put in zinnias for summer color. Below the daff section there are two rows of daylilies growing with tulips that are just going to open. Plus one end has a stand of oriental lilies with roses in back and the other end has some asiatic lilies with tall beared iris in back. There are also some daylily plants at each end of the daff section.

Third pic is a closeup of the daylilies at the ends of those belgium block mini terraces.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9064412

A row of Maria daffs blooming in the backyard along the path in the daylily bed.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9064460

I would also love to add more bulbs, but I spend so much on daylilies that there's little left for bulbs.

Here's a pic from last May of the round tub pond sunk in the ground. Also some pics of the bigger pond from last May and June.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9064469

Oh Karen, those ponds are both so beautiful. I wish I had more room here. If I did I would have a much much bigger pond than what I do. But no room and I have what fits here. Another thing I would truely love to have is a stream. But definately no room for any such thing here.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9064480

Thanks! I would love to have a small stream going into the large pond, and I could do it if I really wanted to. I would also like to make the big pong bigger, but would be so much work and more money. I would like to make it so a bridge could go across it. Would love to have a Koi pond someday, too. Well, all in good time, I suppose, and with more money I could do more, and more time, too. Hello, lottery!

Karen

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #9064506

That is the way it always goes. A long wish list of what to get done in the garden. All any of us can do is work on it as money and time permit.
lily_bud
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9065376

Karen, I adore your ponds. I love the way you have the hostas incorporated around the larger one. It looks like a very calming retreat.
What are the rocks with the little rectangular black screens that are placed around the edge of the pond?

The tub pond looks great sunken into the ground. You've done a really good job making it look natural.

Julie

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9066577

Thanks, Julie. Those 'rocks' are solar lights facing the pond.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9066659

Nice layout Karen.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9067100

The small sideyard pond and then two shots of the front yard pond.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9067106

Backyard beds today

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9067109

Front yard beds today-

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9067562

Really nice, Rita! Looking good at your place.

Thanks, Mike.

Karen
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9069497

Really nice gardens and ponds Rita. I am jealous!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9069509

Thank you both. I do love my garden.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9070775

The tulips have started here but there are still daffodils blooming. These pictures are in the backyard.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9070782

Now we move to the right side front yard.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9070790

And then to the left side of the front yard.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9070912

Very pretty Rita!!!
mcash70
Logan Lake, BC
(Zone 3a)

April 5, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9070919

Lovely, Rita!!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9073091

Really nice!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 7, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9073110

Thanks!

Here is an example of how I plot my bulb planting. Going to use the raised bed in the backyard I call the daylily plateau or just the plateau. It really looks smashing in the summer when the daylilies bloom. Plus up on the top section over the plateau in that smaller raised bed section directly next to the garage (my backyard neighbors garage) I plant zinnias and that gives me summerlong color. So for years I have been content with that but now I am working on my spring bulb plans. Honestly, afew tulips can be squeezed in just about anywhere. They don't multiply (in fact the opposite they decrease in volume year after year) so unlike daffs you don't need to worry about possible overcrowding and dividing.

The plateau is four rows of daylilies, two more in front and two more towards the back with a path in between the front and back sections going accross. So here is what I am going to do.

The 50 Come back tulips just ordered from Brent&Beckies are going in amoung the two back rows of daylilies. Those are red darwin tulips. Then 50 Jenny also just ordered from Brent&Beckies are going in amoung the front two daylily rows. Those are golden yellow early tulips. Then still to order from Scheepers is 200 of their Princely Single Early Tulip Mixture which will be planted thickly in the pathway between the front and back daylily section rows. Then at each end in the front curve I need some small bulbs to fill in like crocus or some sort of rock garden iris. All still thinking on that and it would not be lots of bulbs anyway.

The top terrace next to the garage needs to have the sections of daffodil row where there are no bulbs fixed and patched. I have picked out daffs to add there. In back of the back row of daffs will go a row of Dutch Iris, which will be blooming much later than the daffs so no conflict just another wave of bloom. Then I need to figgure out what tulips to add to the mid section between daff rows but haven't decided on a plan yet.

But this is how I plot things. Pictures of the Plateau now with no spring color!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 7, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9073111

I know I am always talking about the multi level property here. My main gardens in my backyard are litterally upstairs. Here are two shots to help you get the idea.

Lyle627
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9073115

Spring bloom from my daylily garden...

Thumbnail by Lyle627   Thumbnail by Lyle627   Thumbnail by Lyle627   Thumbnail by Lyle627

Lyle627
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9073121

a few more

Thumbnail by Lyle627   Thumbnail by Lyle627   Thumbnail by Lyle627

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 7, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9073123

Gezz, your garden is always just stunning, stunning, stunning!
Lyle627
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9073128

some more spring color

Thumbnail by Lyle627

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9073489

Beautiful Lyle!
Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

April 7, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9073638

Lyle, your spring garden is beautiful! I love all the pinks and purples.
Lyle627
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9074074

Thanks for the comments! I hope everyone has a great spring / summer.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9074185

My tulips are blooming on a Sunday Easter Sunday.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9074188

more pics

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9074224

You have some big plans, Rita, and it will really look great next year with all those additional tulips in bloom. Nice to see you have sun there today. It's totally overcast and cold here.

Gorgeous shots at your place, Lyle! I just love, love, love the pink petunias with the white centers in that last pic. I must get some for my gardens this year. I sure with I was in Arizona right now. It is really chilly outside today. I was doing some yard work for a little while, hauled 5 big loads of wood chips to replenish the old ones in our front walkway, but I was really tired that day and couldn't do much more than that, not to mention that I was getting pretty cold. Just under 50 out there now with a cold breeze and no sunshine. Looks like Phoenix is about 90 right now. That would be more than enough to take the chill off here.

I sure wish I could do something like this, seen at Longwood Gardens in PA back in 2002.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9074532

Rainy and dreary here yesterday and today. Same for tomorrow. Tuesday is suppose to be nice and sunny, then 50% of thunderstorms through next Saturday. Bummer, I have iris out of the ground where I was moving the beds around, but they are hardy and will be fine. I just really want to work outside!!!!

Happy Easter everyone. Praise to our Lord, he is Risen!
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 8, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9074683

Crit, I think the whole country is on this rollercoaster ride.. We are still going from the 60s to the 80s, and back, all in the same week. I'm dieing to plant my tomatoes, but the night temps aren't co-operating at all.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9076141

We had a semi-warm day today, and tomorrow will be nice, too. Nights are pretty cold still, and we've had some cold days, but seasonably cold mostly. Cherry trees are blooming now. They're so pretty.

Crit, I wish we could get some of your rain. We are very dry here, and they aren't allowing any burning now. Fire danger is high, and today was quite windy, so even worse.

Karen
poplarcreek
Baltimore, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9076617

Hey Newyorkrita: Do you know the name of the first daffodil pictured at the top of the page? Such a pretty one. I love all daffodils, even the splits and doubles.
Thanks,
Dick in Baltimore, Ohio

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9076915

No, sorry. It is from a mix planted years and years ago that I bought somewhere around here locally.
poplarcreek
Baltimore, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9077723

We have a bunch that were moved from another garden and some more given to us. Only a few have names on them, but they are all welcome. Thanks.
Dick

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9087594

More daffodil pictures. These are ROULETTE daffodils I got from Brent&Beckies and planted last fall. Took these pictures yesterday. I have them up top there over by the daylily driveway side slope. I love them because of the big showey flowers that are white with all the orange and green in the trumpets.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9087599

From this angle you can see were they are planted up top of the driveway side daylily slope.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9092107

Today there are COPPER QUEEN daffodils open and blooming.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9092112

And here is the area of the backyard were they are blooming.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9092227

Very nice, Rita. I love both of those.

Karen

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9096251

Wood Hyaciths in the southside rose garden.

Double Tulip Orange Princess

Orange tulip Prinses Irene

And two pics of Double red tulips Uncle Tom.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9096289

I just took some pics of my roses in bloom. This is just a few of them.

1. Chicago Peace
2. Fragrent Cloud
3. Heirloom
4. NOID Dark Orange
5. NOID Light Peachy/Pink

Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9096453

Lovely rose blooms. Roses here are already budded up but no where near ready to bloom.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2012
4:05 AM

Post #9096856

Very pretty Rita!!! When I think about all the double tulips and parrot tulips I used to have it makes me sad that they just disappeared. I used to love the parrot's. They are just so different.
mcash70
Logan Lake, BC
(Zone 3a)

April 25, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9097160

Rita, you sure have a lot of beautiful blooms!!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9097198

You have to replant the Parrotts and probably the doubles also. This was the first spring for these fancy tulips as I planted them last fall. I really doubt they would show up again next year.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9099281

Beautiful, Rita and Crit! Those double tulips look just like roses.

I'm pretty sure you're right about the double and parrot tulips, Rita. You have to treat them like annuals. I had some gorgeous double tulips one year. Was so disappointed that they never returned.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9099683

My first scape was on a Stella D awhile back. The subsequent cold weather took care of that. Now there's a nice scape on Prairie Wildfire. First Iris to bloom, then came the blue one next to it.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9099690

The Heuchera are doing well.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9099700

Lilacs still going strong even in pt shade.
Installed birdhouse on top of light pole.
Oriental Poppy and Iris Immortality.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9100075

Hey. great place for the birdhouse atop the pole! Lots of nice blooms at your house.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9100092

It sure is windy today and it is cool with a bite to it. Had to drag out my winter coat again to wear. Usually by now I have many of my annuals planted. This year I haven't even bought any as yet.

Tulips still blooming here. This is my favorite tulip this year a lovely double called UNCLE TOM.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9100096

And some daffs that I planted last fall, COPPER QUEEN.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9100507

Very nice, Rita and Mike. I love the Uncle Tom tulip. Great shade of red!

Karen
mcash70
Logan Lake, BC
(Zone 3a)

April 28, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9101314

I agree, very nice, Mike and Rita!!

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9101416

Thanks Ladies !
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9101766

It is so strange to see you guys posting tulips and daffodils since down here we are opening up the pool this weekend. I too love that Uncle Tom tulip!
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9102150

Wow Mike, that looks like a very large bird house. What kind of birds will nest in it??

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9102399

Hemlady it has two openings and it is divided inside. Found it at the Flea Market. The openings are small. I have seen a common (name unknown) robin hanging out up there. Probably one of the same family that nested there when I had a smaller box up there the past 4-5 yrs.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 29, 2012
10:00 PM

Post #9103374

I have never seen so many different and beautiful tulips as on this forum. I used to grow them years ago but gave up since squirrels love them. Little by little they disappeared along with the crocus. Also love the pool photos and the planting around them. So natural.

Our spring here in Wyoming is almost a month early. I have never had bearded irises bloom in April. This year not only the early dwarf are blooming but the bearded irises are also not far off and some are blooming. Dwarf itises usually bloom mid-May followed by the tall bearded early to mid-June. So glad I saved iris pollen from last year. The warm weather came suddenly and caught me by surprise. I am making a rock garden, potting up iris seedlings from my crosses, likewise my daylily seedlings. Too many projects that needs to be done now before hot weather.

I am thrilled to see that one of my daylily crosses bloomed today. Sowed October 2010, planted in the coldframe May 2011. It is 7" tall with 3" blooms. Pod parent Happpy Returns x Purple de Oro. Below are the parents, and the child . Needless to say, I am thrilled.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 29, 2012
10:02 PM

Post #9103376

Another photo of the seedling.

Thumbnail by blomma

floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2012
3:08 AM

Post #9103434

Most of my irises are blooming now.. a month early. I have lots of scapes on my daylilies.. a month early also.

Blomma, Your seedlings are nice. Isn't it wonderful seeing your own babies open up!!
mcash70
Logan Lake, BC
(Zone 3a)

April 30, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9103774

Very nice seedling blomma!
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 30, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9104143

Wow - just went thru this thread! A LOT of inspiration in here... if only my sweat and perspiration would allow me to keep up with all of the great inspiration (not to mention the pocketbook!) I would be in great shape!

Thanks everyone for sharing all your beautiful gardens!

Genna

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 30, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9104651

Thank you for the compliments on my seedling.

Floweringchild Yes, it is wonderful to see my seedling open up. Takes forever. Now, waiting for more to set buds since this is so early for daylilies to bloom in Wyoming. Also have buds on iris seedlings. Had 3 bloom last summer. Now waiting for more.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2012 6:18 PM
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9104655

A lot of my family just do not understand how I can go out there constantly looking for blooms and waiting on babies to see what they will look like...lol.

So glad you people on here are like me.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 30, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9104909

They just don't know what they are missing. LOL.

Do you also pollinate/hybridize plants like iris and daylilies. Daylilies for some reason seems to be more popular than irises. However, I had the market for my crosses of iris seeds on Ebay. Sold $268 worth over the winter. I was the only one selling bearded Iris seeds. I have 187 iris cultivars. Now have 144 iris seedlings growing, and more to sprout.

Photo 1] 156 daylily seedlings. Some from my crosses but most from purchase on LA
Photo 2] Last years's daylily seedlings. Should bloom. The one that bloomed is growing there.
Photo 3] Iris seedlings in coldframe taken August 2010
Photo 4] Two out of the 3 seedlings that bloomed in the coldfram June 2011. (Buffawn x Gay Parasol)
Photo 5] A few of this year's iris seedlings out of 144. Only 2" tall on the average. Photo taken April 23, 2012

This message was edited Apr 30, 2012 9:03 PM

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma

floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2012
3:16 AM

Post #9105025

About four years ago, there were seed pods on an iris. I saved those and planted them. They have bloomed for the last two years. So I have three irises that are similar to the parents, but each is different. That was fun also.. waiting on those babies.

Blomma, I didn't realize you had so many irises.. WOW.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 1, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9105157

Do you have photos. I would love to see a photo of the pod parent and kids.
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9106299

These are two of my iris seedlings.. really nothing special... but they are MY babies or least from my circle of irises...lol.

whoops. I got the same pic.

This message was edited May 1, 2012 7:14 PM

Thumbnail by floweringchild   Thumbnail by floweringchild

floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9106305

This is the other one.

Thumbnail by floweringchild

floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9106312

Those seedlings came from somewhere in this circle of irises.

Thumbnail by floweringchild

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9106605

Love your seedling, Blomma! I can't wait to see my first seedling bloom, but I gotta get some seeds planted first. I have a few seedlings that came up on their own, so I'm looking forward to seeing them bloom, which I think they will this year.

Nice iris seedlings, floweringchild. I love the yellow and brown one.

Karen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 1, 2012
10:31 PM

Post #9106631

Floweringchild, Thank you for posting. Love the yellow and brown iris, and the first photo of your seedlings. I noticed the color and markings on the hafts. I bet that the seedlings were the child of the irises in the circle of irises that also has the same on the hafts.

My pod parent to the iris seedling in the above photo is Buffawn (Andrew 1940) x Gay Parasol (Schreiner 1974). It is very obvious which is the pod parent when you notife the hafts on Buffawn.

Below is the photo of both.
Edited to add that the second photo is the 3rd seedling that bloomed last year with those posted above.

This message was edited May 1, 2012 10:33 PM

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 1, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9106636

Thanks Karen, Why haven't you sown the seeds during the winter. I plant mine in a plastic shoe box and leave it covered on the north side of my house all winter. So far 144 seedlings, starting to sprout in March with warmer weather.

Several more of my iris crosses are budding. Can't wait! Seems to take forever.
mcash70
Logan Lake, BC
(Zone 3a)

May 2, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9107026

Blomma, your irises are lovely.
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9107210

Very pretty. I wish irises lasted longer!!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2012

Post #9107390

I bought some annuals yesterday. Marigolds, impatients, portulacas and also my tomato plants. I have been out there this afternoon after the rain starting on the planting.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9107633

Floweringchild you should try the reblooming ones like "Immortality". I have several reblooming German Irises.
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2012
3:25 AM

Post #9108117

Mike, I do have Immortality. I love it. It has already bloomed and gone this year so I am waiting for its rebloom. I think I have another rebloomer but I can't think of which one right now.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 3, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9108238

wish irises would rebloom in Wyoming but that is not to be. Even Immortality won't. I don't buy with that in mind since they won't anyway. I am just one climate zone too cold. Actually not enough summer days to produce another crop of blooms. Oh well...!
mcash70
Logan Lake, BC
(Zone 3a)

May 3, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9108439

Same here blomma, I had Immortality for quite a few years, then I moved it and it died, but it never rebloomed for me, summer is too short. Same with the daylilies, I now only buy early to mid season bloomers.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 3, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #9109577

mcash70, I have the same problem with daylilies, except Stella de Oro. Once it begins to bloom, which is ahead of all others, it take s a short rest then resumes blooming past other daylilies.

My iris in my coldframe finally bloomed. It was sown October 2009, germinated April 2010. The podparent is a dwarf bearded Raspberry Blush. The pollen parent is unknown but judging from the bloom, I think it is another dwarf by the name of Little Chestnut.

The seedling is a mustard gold/yellow. Height 12"
1] Pod parent Raspberry Blush
2] Pollen parent ? Little Chestnut
3] Resulting seedling.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 3, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9109581

Although it has been said that the pollen parent determines the bloom. In this case, it is proven correct. How different the flower is compared to the pod parent.
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9109741

That is very pretty.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9110529

How do you gather the seeds and what is the process to grow them from seed. That is something I have never tried and would like to. I do a lot of winter sowing of other plants.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 4, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9110639

Crit, iris seeds develop inside pods. The number of seeds in a pod varies. The pod is first green, then the color dulls then gradually turns light tan. When they are ready, the pod will begin to split at the top. You can then harvest the seeds. Spread the seeds on a kitchen paper towel and allow to dry for 7 days to cure. The color of the seed will change when dry.

It is fascinating that each seed growing in the same pod will produce a brand new and different variety never seen due to many generations of genes that were bred into the parent plants. On the other hand, some seedlings may have a few similar traits from their parents, just like humans. In either case, the result is yours. Any Iris seedling that shows excellence can be named and registered by the grower---You.

Store seeds in the fridge until you are ready. I start my seeds in October since I have many cultivars by soaking the seeds in a container with hand hot water overnight. Allow to cool. The seeds need to remain in the water for at least 3 weeks. Change the water out daily using a strainer to catch the seeds (so as not to lose any). No nicking is necessary. This soaking and rinsing treatment is to remove the seed germination inhibitor present in the seed or seed coat. Outdoors, the fall rains and melting snow in winter do the same thing over a 3 to 4 month period.

If you have only a few cultivars the method below is a quicker way to remove the inhibitor factor. It cuts the soaking time in half.

Buy nylon knee highs---cheap in Walmart. Put the seeds in the knee high so that they'll end up in the foot then take the knee high and a tag and use a mideum binder paper clip to attach the tag to the open end

Remove the top from the toilet tank. Drop the knee high into an area of the tank where it won't interfere with the moving parts in the tank. Be sure to leave the open end outside the tank. The foot part or closed part is put in the tank. The tank top and the binder clip will prevent the sock from sinking into the tank and get flushed.

After soaking, sow Iris seeds in pre-moistened potting soil 1/2" deep in these plastic shoe boxes. I covered the containers and leave them out all winter long on North side of my house. Iris seeds require 12 weeks of less than 40 degrees temperature that flunctuate to break dormancy. They will sprout during spring when temperature reaches 55 to 70 degrees.

If winter temperature has gone in your climate, or you live in a climate without cold winters, the fridge can be used. It will just take a bit longer to break dormancy.

Once the seeds have sprouted, I pot them up in 6-packs filled with potting soil. As the new sprouts begin to grow, I fertilize them with a 1/4 strength fertilizer solution with each watering. About six weeks after they have germinated and are about two inches high, I knock them out of the pots and plant them in the garden and hope for that next Award of Merit winner or better yet -- dream big, a Dykes Medal winner.

Handle them as you would any other perennial seedling.

Iris seeds can be stored in the fridge in ziplock bags and remain viable for years.

1] Where to place the pollen on iris.
2] Seed pod
3] Open pod with seeds
4] Sowed seeds in plastic shoebox, then in bin and placed on the north side of my house all winter covered.
5] Sprouted seeds April 2012

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9111697

Blomma thanks for this info. I always wondered how you did it after see all your post about Iris sdlgs. Mike

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9112037

Blomma, I like your seedling of Raspberry Blush x Little Chestnut (possibly?). Very pretty! Great info, btw. Don't know if I'll ever try it. Already have my hands full with daylily hybridizing. If I can ever retire, though, I'll have more time for other things as well.

I can't wait for my TBI's to start blooming. They already have lots of buds. They're gonna be early this year. I just love the fragrance, and I can't just smell it as I'm looking at these pics here.

Karen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 5, 2012
11:55 PM

Post #9112236

Mike You are welcome.

Karen Thank you, I also like the iris seedling. I too hybridize daylilies, but also iris plus I work full time. Since Iris bloom before daylilies, why not try crossing a few. The seeds will be ready if I remember correctly, in 90 days. Just dry soak and plant them. If you do it my way, they won't need your attention all winter.

My irises are beginning to bloom. I have seedlings that are 3 years old now and I can feel a bud deep inside. They are standard bearded. Yes, the season is 1 month early this year. They usually don't flower until late May through mid-June, depending on variety. I have already started crossing irises as they bloom before I go to work.

Received my order of Daylilies from Blue Ridge today. Planting tomorrow. Ordered 4 and got 3 gift plants. WOW! As always, the plants were beautiful and as always, double and sine triple fans.

Electric Marmelade Magic
Pink Ruffled Love
Stars in the Mist
Ballroom Waltz

Colorado Moon Fire---gift
Bristol Fashion---gift
Stardust Heiress---gift

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9112570

I recently received some D/L also.
Valentines Greetings and Face Paint from Spunky1 a.k.a. our very own Fred.
Metrosexual x 2 + gift of Ypres From Possumhollow
From Morning_star
Sherwood Gladiator
Chicago Apache
Todd Monroe
Dragon King
Bitsy
Red Volunteer
Carmen Renee
Irving Shulman
Daveo Holman
Mephistopheles
Early Snow
Innocent Bystander
Nature Boy
Lots of extra fans and gift plants.
I also got some Apps that I coveted."His Best rebloomer- Dynamite Returns", Red Hot Returns, When My Sweetheart Returns and Scentual Sundance
Second pic is Morning_star. Very SUPER LADY.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 6, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9113173

Oh great !! maybe that means my Blue Ridge order will be arriving soon! I am anxious to get them in the ground because it is already so hot here!! I did receive four new ones last week and got them in the ground - they seem to be doing well.

Looks like you have a bunch there Mike!

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9113769

Wow Mike. Looks like you have some work to do.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9114484

First daylily bloom - except for Stella - an unknown creamy yellow one

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kimbar
Beaverton, MI

May 7, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9114594

Wow Mike looks like christmas to me have fun planting those beauties...

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9114602

Lots of rain right now. On vacation this week to handle the load with plants and seeds. Got more coming. Chop, Chop ! LOL!
kimbar
Beaverton, MI

May 7, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9114627

yep gonna be chop chop if you dont get all those in the ground. And i am hating all the rain right now keeping me inside
and i need to weed my beds.RAIN RAIN GO AWAY!

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9114697

"Little Kim want to play". LOL!

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 7, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9114856

Send me some of that rain...ANYONE!!!
Mainer
Durham, ME
(Zone 3a)

May 7, 2012
11:46 PM

Post #9115124

Blomma thanks for sharing for this method of doing the breaking dormancy is both inventive and inexpensive. Mom let me use the refrigerator? Never, but the shoe box cool!

Love the cheerful Raspberry Blush x Little Chestnut pos seedling.

My prob with pollinating is that the irises tend to bloom during Maine's rainy season so once they get started rot can set in. I can lose a whole bunch in a long rainy spell.

I do a few iris crosses during a lucky sunny spell, during a lucky year and used the pvc pipe planting method, one seed per little pvc pipe about 1 inch wide. I pop them out with a broom handle once they bloom saving my garden space. That requires labeling the pvc pipes each one but your shoe box method would cut that expense right down to one label for the time of sprouting.

Jeff Dunlop showed me how to pollinate, he labels his crosses and does the reverse cross on the same day to see pod, pol differences, then he chooses what he is looking for. He is a professional with gorgeous siberians, but me, I am not trying to make the best siberian or iris, I just like crossing moderns with historics that are hardy for fun.

I dont have clumps of iris to pollinate cause I might have 1 rhizome that grows slow, I photograph for id purposes in HIPS photo gallery so as long as I weed around the one bloom I need to photograph, I am fine but its not a great way for becoming a hybridizer lol. I havent tried reverse pollination on the same day yet but should my irises ever turn into clumps I want to try it.

Mainer
kimbar
Beaverton, MI

May 8, 2012
3:30 AM

Post #9115158

Yes ii want to play but not in the rain.LOL

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9116121

Mike, you got some really nice ones. I really like that Early Snow. Very pretty! I will be off for a week at the end of the month, and I'm determined to get all my beds cleaned up (the ones that haven't already been done), get all my new daylilies planted, plus the ones from last year and all my seeds from crosses I did 2 years ago (hopefully they're still viable), and get everything mulched. Yeah, right! I need to clone myself several times over. I'm not even finished cleaning up my sales areas yet, but hope to get a handle on that this weekend. I have so much to do. I need to clone myself several times over.

Blomma, can I just plant the iris seeds right in the ground? That would be easiest for me, as I have no room to start seeds indoors. That's what I'm doing with my daylily seeds.

Mainer, sounds like a problem with all that rain. We can get a lot of rain in the spring here, too. Just never know.

Karen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 8, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9116211

Karen, iris seeds need flunctuating temperature and 12 week of below 40 temp. It would be too warm now to plant them in the ground. Daylilies are not that fussy as far as stratification.

Why not wait until October, then plant them in a plastic shoebox and leave them outdoors all winter. Keep soil damp, cover the box and forget them until spring. They will begin to sprout when temperature is between 50 to 70 degrees.

Space the seeds 1" apart in the box.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9116557

My daylily seeds have been stratified in the fridge. Still in there now. I hope to get them planted soon, but every time I get out in the gardens, other things call my attention and I forget all about them. This is a good time to start them. Maybe by 2015 I'll have blooms on them. Hoping.

Karen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 8, 2012
11:54 PM

Post #9116688

Karen, placing seeds dry in the fridge does not stratify them. Nature always provided moisture with cold. That is what is known as stratification.

When I sow daylily seeds, I first soak in hand hot water over night to plump them. Then I place the plump seeds in a moist kitchen paper towel, and into a zip lock bag. I keep it stratified for 3 weeks in the fridge crisper. After 3 weeks, I place the bag in room temp. Most seeds begin to sprout within 2 weeks. Once sprouted I plant them in 6-packs with potting soil. From there as they grow, they go into a 3" foam (coffee) pot/cup until it is time to plant outdoors, which is what I am currently doing.

I have clay soil and often winds that drives moisture from plants, the reason I don't plant direct.

Kjuddy Pretty bloom on your first blooming daylily.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9117669

Blomma, I don't have any room to start them indoors. My mother always refrigerated them for several weeks before starting them. Anyhow, I've had quite a few people say you can do it that way and start them right in the ground. I've been told you can put a bunch of seeds together in one shallow hole, then separate them once they develop a bit. Obviously the ones you put together would be all the same cross, or ones of unknown parentage. Anyhow, I'm going to try it that way, and I'll let you guys know how it works.

Karen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 9, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9117978

If you don't have room, just stratify the seeds in kitchen paper towel as I stated and instead on planting in 6-pack, plant straight in the soil.

I have clay and drying winds so that wouldn't work in my yard.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 10, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9119320

I have had quite a few Irises that produced extra petals but SEASON TICKET has the most with 6. From what I have been told, it has something to do with the winter weather/damage.

I have crosses it and it will be interesting to see how many seeds or pods one flower with 6 petals will produce.

In the first photo it is too orange with 5 petals. The second photo which is normal is color correct.

This message was edited May 10, 2012 8:33 PM

floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2012
2:05 AM

Post #9119409

WOW. I have never seen an iris with extra petals.
kimbar
Beaverton, MI

May 11, 2012
3:03 AM

Post #9119417

Very pretty Blomma.
mcash70
Logan Lake, BC
(Zone 3a)

May 11, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9119675

Wow that is pretty!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9122739

That's gorgeous!

Karen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 13, 2012
10:36 PM

Post #9122789

Thanks guys. It is strange. Another flower on the same plant has 4 petals instead of 3.

Below is my new crop of Iris seedlings I just finished planting from a 6-pack. They are from my own crosses.

Thumbnail by blomma

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9124209

They look great! Can't wait to get my first crop of daylily seedlings.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2012
3:37 AM

Post #9124355

While browsing thru three stores this past weekend I found three diffrent prices on Milorganite.
Walmart = 14.97
Ace = 13.47
Menards = 8.98
Give or take a few cents. Guess which one I bought ?
You guess right. At that price I got three bags knowing that it will be going up soon. This should last me a few to several years, at least. This would probably last Casshigh a couple days on that beautiful ESTATE. BFG!

This message was edited May 15, 2012 5:10 PM

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 15, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9124465

Mike is that what prevents deter deer and antelope damage?
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 15, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9124480

What is milorganite?

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9124706

Milwaulkee(sp.) sewer sludge. The daylilies LOVE it.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9125251

Blomma, I don't know about the animal repellent factor. It certainly doesn't deter Opossum and the tree rats. No antelopes around here. LOL!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9125440

I have heard it deters deer.

Karen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 15, 2012
11:08 PM

Post #9125554

Karen That is what I read where you can buy it online. I live close to the mountains and have antelope come down to visit, usually early spring. Not much damage since I don't grow their favorite foods. My daughter living in the boonies have problems with them. It is fenced in but they jump.

I spent all weekend planting daylily seedlings before the hot weather. Maybe now I will have time to mow. Fun, fun!!!

Below is my daylily nursery. Couldn't get them all in one photo.

Thumbnail by blomma

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9125643

Blomma your sdlgs are pretty big. Your indoor nurturing really paid off in terms of a head start. I have some to plant in the ground also. Hopefully I will be able to do so this weekend.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 16, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9125746

I have a few blooming - these cool evenings are really making it difficult for them to open. Most are not bloomed out by the time I leave for work, and are fading quickly by the time I get home - so I am not getting to enjoy them as much as usual. Here is my Perseus Sandals... not as pretty as it usually is, but it brightened my day.

Please excuse all the grass - this is in a bed that hasn't been touched yet! With 80 degree temps starting in mid march the grass has a major head start on me!

Genna

Thumbnail by gen2026

mcash70
Logan Lake, BC
(Zone 3a)

May 16, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9125851

Very nice Genna!

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 16, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9126710

Mike, why sow the seeds in the ground? I gained time sowing them per instuctions posted above. The earlier sown, the earlier you get blooms. Actually, the plants in the photo would have been taller if I hadn't given them a "haircut" to prevent them from touching the florescent light tubes.

Below are some of the iris seedlings planted next to the daylilies but protected in a coldframe due to small size.

Thumbnail by blomma

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9127907

Blomma, your seedlings look great! I think Mike meant he had some seedlings already started to plant in the ground. I, on the other hand, must start them outside, as I have no room in the house to start them. They'll have to take their chances, and I feel they will be more hardy because of it.

Genna, what a nice looking bloom. I hate it when I miss out on blooms because of work. I have 2 Fridays a month where I work a 13 hours shift, and it gives me no time to enjoy any blooms on those days.

Karen
hostages
Wyoming, MN

May 18, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9128717

Christmas at my house today. I received my Blueridge shipment. Wow! 11 plants plus 6 bonus plants. Soaking in bushel sized container. Will be busy tomorrow.

Gary

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9128910

Gary we are happy for you. "Do tell ! Which ones did you get ?
hostages
Wyoming, MN

May 18, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9128940

I got
Edna Selman
Blazing Lampsticks
Heavenly Dragon Fire
Yellow Titan
Heavenly Jetfire
Orange Splash
Dynamite Bright
Glory Days
Fiesta Latina
Flaming Flamingo
Big Bird's Friend

Bonus included
Vanilla Victory
Wizard's Wish
Mountain Bluebird
Red Peacemaker
Ruffles and Ribbons
Lollipop Kisses

I have several nice reds and wanted to brighten it up a little.

Gary

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 18, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9129051

Gary, I have about 60 or so of his DL but none that you ordered. I did look up Fiesta Latina for the fun of it. The name attracted me. It is a beauty. Will have to consider that when I order again.

Here is a link that I use a lot and have in favorites. It is to AHS Daylily data base.

http://www.daylilydatabase.org/

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9129073

Gary, what a great shipment! I will be getting mine from him soon, as well. Last year I got about 12 from him, and about that same amount in bonuses. I couldn't believe it! The box was huge! Can't wait for this year's shipment.

Blomma, I happen to use Tinkers daylily database a lot more, as there's usually more pictures. One thing I don't like about the AHS database is that they only use photos from the actual hybridizers. Sometimes those pics are not so good and just don't do the daylily justice. I like to see a few pics to get a good sense of what it looks like.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9129084

Gary, I just checked out all those ones you got. Some really nice ones there! Looks like you really like the Gossard cultivars. I do, too. Oh, and Flaming Flamingo is one I've wanted for a couple of years now. I've met the hybridizer, Ellen Laprise, who lives not too far from me. She and here husband are really nice people. She doesn't have many cultivars of her own, but what she does have is really nice. I love her Bob Marley.

Karen
hostages
Wyoming, MN

May 19, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9129425

Karen, the box was huge. The plants are too.Besides the bonuses most of the ones I ordered had more than the number of fans won. Bob Marley is on my want list too. The only bad part LOL is that until some new growth starts it will look like a newly harvested corn field around here.

Blomma thanks for the link.

Gary

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 19, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9129463

Gary, Lol that is the way mine looks and still does until new growth have taken over. The outer leaves tend to crisp up yellow.

What amazes me is that the bonuses are not the run of the mill kind. I have received some that are pretty new varieties.

We had rain all yesterday, and last night. Yipee, badly needed!
hostages
Wyoming, MN

May 20, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9130753

3.5" of rain last nigh with a little more I haven't checked on yet. Went from 84 to 60 degrees last night. 60 for the high today.May not get planting done until tomorrow. We really needed the rain too. I was going to water but decided to give the weatherman one more chance to be right. She was LOL.

Gary

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9131614

Gary, we got a little rain last night also. Not even close to 1/2 inch but, it was welcome. Every little bit helps.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9131702

My Iris seedlings are blooming. Some already did as I posted above. One is off white with yellow hafts. Will take photos later when flowers are more open.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9131721

Wish we would get some rain. We sure need it. We were getting at least an inch a week in April but now that May is here, nothing.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 21, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9132672

We are bone dry here! Not a good sign for this early in the year... we have had a little rain during the spring, but very little - and a dry, dry fall. I am afraid there will be LOTS of things lost even with watering if we don't get some rain!! Watered again tonight, but I can see the lack of rain is really taking its toll - plus the temps are above normal too.

I haven't received my Blue Ridge shipment yet. Inquired about it back in mid April because it was getting so hot here. Sure hope it comes soon. I don't have many ordered so they may be filling orders largest to smallest or something. Never ordered from him before but heard great things so I am looking for the box any day! With my luck it will probably come Thursday or Friday,... my son is getting married out of town this coming Saturday and I will be out of pocket to care for plants!

Those of you with rain...when you get enough can you please send some southward??

Genna

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9132792

Genna, you can contact Bob and ask when he will ship. He usually notifies you the day it goes in the mail. If he hasn't sent it, you can request a shipment when you want it. I alway request it in end of May but this year spring is early so didn't request it.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9132827

LOL! Gary, I know what you mean about it looking like a newly harvested corn field when you've planted new DL's. Most of my new ones are going into well established gardens, so it doesn't look so bad, as there are lots of mature DL's to compensate.

Did I mention that last week, or the week before, I got an order of DL's from Woodhenge Gardens (Jim Murphy and Margo Reed)? Excellent plants, and much bigger than just 2 fans, as ordered. Nice bonus of Santa's Pants, also. I will definitely order from them again next year.

I'm still waiting for my shipment for Bob, but I'm in no hurry. I still have others from other orders to be planted. Got one planted today, but I was concentrating on getting stuff potted up for selling. The one I planted was Memorial To Steve. I got 3 fans of that one, and really looking forward to seeing it bloom. I've read such good things about that one, and will be using if as a hybridizing plant.

Blomma, I look forward to seeing pics of your seedling irises.

We have been getting plenty of rain this month, though earlier in the spring we had a long stretch with no rain, and I was getting worried that I would have to start watering everything. So glad for the rain. Been getting plenty, but not too much. Wish I could send some of you guys some of our rain.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9133126

I have been piling on the mulch to conserve moisture. Got a little rain a couple nights ago. The big show missed us and moved into Indiana.
Prairie Wildfire struggling to get going.
Heard this is good for new plants. Mixed in with compost, garden soil, potting soil, Milorganite, Alfalfa, etc. Anyone else use this stuff for other than eating ? LOL!

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 22, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9133247

Use it every day... but for eating... never heard of using it on plants.

I will contact him and see if he can hold til next week. I really need them in the ground, and it will be a struggle for them to get established in this heat and drought... but I sure don't need them sitting in a box for days before I get back either! Thanks

Genna
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9133446

My first daylily bloomed this week. I am just starting a new bed and was exxcited to see it! I planted some seed but think I am going to have to dig them up and start over. I wasn't aware of the 'proper way' to do them until I asked.

I lost a lot of my Oriental and Asiatic lilies last year through the heat and drought. We had good rains in April but May is a disaster! We have had .15" for the whole month! Yup ... .15! The record set back on 1897 was .80 for the month. The month isn't over but they are not calling for rain the rest of the month, except 10% on Memorial Day. I'm not liking this one little bit! Can some of you share? ^_^

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9134513

Wish I could share some rain, Crit. We got a good amount today. It was a nice, soaking rain, too, not heavy and driving and windy. My gardens are happy, and so am I. We got lots and lots of rain this month. Hate to make anyone jealous. I feel bad that I can't share the wealth.

Karen

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9134514

Oh, here is my first DL bloom of the year, a NOID. This one has always started blooming the last week of May, and it's been blooming for 2 weeks now, meaning we are about 3 wks ahead here. I will have nothing but annuals in bloom by Sept/Oct, and few of those, as I can't afford that many this year.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 22, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #9134534

Yeah, I am wondering what will be blooming come summer here with all the heat and drought this early on... plus everything being so far ahead of schedule! Strange weather year for sure!

My daughter graduated last Thursday night, and my son is getting married this coming weekend...figured those two occasions were our best shots at rain - and NONE in the forecast. WHo knows...maybe July will be like it was 3 years ago and we will get rain the whole month. But I sure hope we get some soon! My sister is traveling to singapore in June and the way it is now, I will have to go to her house everyday to water...

Hope everyone has a great rest of the week...something tells me I want be back on line for several days! :)

genna

DitchLily206
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #9134572

[quote="hostages"]I got
Edna Selman
Blazing Lampsticks
Heavenly Dragon Fire
Yellow Titan
Heavenly Jetfire
Orange Splash
Dynamite Bright
Glory Days
Fiesta Latina
Flaming Flamingo
Big Bird's Friend

Bonus included
Vanilla Victory
Wizard's Wish
Mountain Bluebird
Red Peacemaker
Ruffles and Ribbons
Lollipop Kisses

I have several nice reds and wanted to brighten it up a little.

Gary
[/quote]

Nice haul! I am sure you will like them all but here is a sneak preview of two that we share (blooms from last year)

Flaming Flamingo 6-17-11
Fiesta Latina FFO 6-17-11

I also have Edna Selman, but it has not bloomed yet.

Thumbnail by DitchLily206   Thumbnail by DitchLily206

hostages
Wyoming, MN

May 22, 2012
10:16 PM

Post #9134589

Ditch thanks for the pics.

When I contacted Bob he said he was behind in shipping due to weather. He was very quick to respond to inquiries and very good at communications in general. With the size of the plants he sends he wouldn't even have to send bonus plants. But the bonus plants are just as nice as the ones you buy.

Gary
DitchLily206
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9134818

He does send great plants. Last year I bought six of his intros he was selling on the LA:

ASHEVILLE SOCIAL BUTTERFLY (Selman 2005)
FIESTA LATINA (Selman 2007)
MEERKAT MANOR (Selman 2007)
GOODY GOODY GUMDROP (Selman 2008)
MOOD SWING (Selman 2008)
ASHEVILLE SOCIAL BUTTERFLY (Selman 2005)

And then, due to fortuitous timing (being the last shipment to go out that day) I also received a cornucopia of bonuses (also all Selman intros):

Autumn Romance
Edna Selman
Plumtopia
Monkey Shine
Frog Song
Actions Speak Louder
Surreal Possibility
Hoodwinked
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9137008

Please tell me again where this is that you get your lilies?

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9137109

Crit we get them from Bob Selman at Blueridge on Ebay, the Lily Auction and on their own website

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9137263

DL206, that's a great bunch of daylilies you got from Bob last year. Nice haul on the bonuses! I know I've mentioned this before, but I got just as many bonuses from him last year as plants that I paid for. Still waiting for me box from him for this year, but it should be here soon. Here's what I'm getting:

KICKIN' CHICKEN
LAUGHING GIRAFFE
CARNIVAL IN MEXICO
FRANK MORRELL
CALYPSO GREEN
SPACECOAST DRAGON PRINCE
REIGNING KISSES
DEVIL'S MAGIC
ROSES IN SNOW
SEAL OF APPROVAL
CHINESE CHARIOT

Karen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 24, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9137475

Karen, you will love Chinese Chariot. I have it. See below.

Thumbnail by blomma

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9137887

blomma, that is beautiful!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9138860

Very nice, Blomma! It's quite striking. Thanks for sharing your pic.

Karen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 25, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9138907

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, it is even more striking in reality. I am hoping to use it as pod or/and pollen parent this season since I will have several others to cross it with. Yipee!!!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9140031

Yes, I would like to use it for hybridizing as well.

Early this month I got a shipment of DL's from a great seller on eBay from down south. I know I shouldn't be buying southern bred daylilies, as they may not do well for me, but I wanted to use these in hybridizing. Here are the ones I got from her:

TED'S TRIBUTE TO LINDA
TEXAS BEAUTIFUL BOUQUET
MOUNT HERMAN GRACE
THE BAND PLAYED ON

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9142892

This one was planted at the end of last month. Dynamite Returns. Lots of scapes!
Stella's Sparky--ffo

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 29, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9142992

I was able to contact Bob last week and he is holding my shipment until this week! So that was one less stress... :)

I will have to go look at my list of what I ordered...been so long I have forgotten what is coming!

Beautiful blooms everyone! love that Chinese chariot.
hostages
Wyoming, MN

May 29, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9144217

I was gone over the weekend. I came home to find that they are looking great. One even put a scape 12" into the air. It rained nicely while I was gone. All of the garden plants are looking lush and happy. The one with the scape is Edna Selman.

Gary
DitchLily206
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9144220

Karen, you have a great bunch coming in. Roses In Snow has been putting on quite a show. I have posted it elsewhere, but it deserves another look.

Roses In Snow 5-5, 5-7, and 5-9

Thumbnail by DitchLily206   Thumbnail by DitchLily206   Thumbnail by DitchLily206

DitchLily206
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9144223

The other one is Texas Beautiful Bouquet.

Thumbnail by DitchLily206   Thumbnail by DitchLily206

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2012
9:59 PM

Post #9144276

Mike, nice to hear you have lots of blooms on your new DYNAMITE RETURNS. I like that STELLA SPARKY!

Great pics of those 2, DL! Can't wait till mine bloom. I have so many scapes up now. Things are really coming along.

Gary, I'm glad to hear you got some rain. We could use some more, for the gardens, and for a free car wash for me (and for so many others). The pollen is horrendous right now! It's all over everything. My car is covered, as is everyone else's.

Karen

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2012

Post #9147864

We had the 4th dryest May in history since 1897 (.80") with 1.5" of rain. We were below the dryest with .15" until the last couple of days in May. Praise God we are continuing to get nice showers. We received 3/4", then 1/4" and it is raining nice and gentle today.

Love the pics of everyone's DL's. I had 3 roots of Dream Legacy I had received from a swap that were packaged but they never came up. I dug up the area last week and no sign of what I had planted, so I guess all 3 of them were bad. I have received some new plants in trades that already have scapes and I have not even gotten them in the ground. LOL When I have a little dry time, I'll get them in the ground.

I read a post somewhere and didn't know if they were being fecisious or serious so am going to ask you guys. They said DL's love clay soil. What is the verdict on that?
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 1, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9147882

Glad to hear you are getting rain. We got a tiny shower on Wed and Thursday but not enough to make any real difference except just to remember what rain looks like! I had hoped we would get some with the front that came thru but I think it all went south and east of us :( at least some were able to get some much needed rain !

floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9148428

Crit,
I do not think daylilies love clay soil. I have clay and I amend my soil constantly. It gets as hard as a brick and roots do not go down in it very well.
My opinion,
Judy
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 1, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9148450

Plus, clay tends to hold moisture in really wet seasons... and I thought they would rot if their roots stayed wet ? I would tend to think they would not like clay. I used to live with clay soil and I didn't find anything that liked it!! Now, I have the other extreme extremely sandy soil... but I would rather have that than clay!

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9149016

Thanks for the info. I thought that sounded odd. I always amend the soil around new plants I put in about 3x's the size of the plant where there is clay.

We got another 1/2" total the last 2 nights. There are chances of rain everynight for the next week. Not big chances, but at least they are there. I'll take all we can get. I lost so many plants last year to the heat even though I watered and had $150 water bill. If it gets like that this year, I don't know if I will spend the money to water or not. DH is going to make me some rain barrels, but if there is no rain, they don't do much good.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9149104

But, when it rain it will ! LOL!
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 2, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9149154

Boy can I totally relate... I lost several plants to the extreme heat and drought of last summer... and then with the dry winter we have had, we are starting out in the hole! I am just trying to keep things alive! I had some health problems starting in late june that went until late September and I couldnt breathe out in our heat and humidity. Lots of things didn't get watered at all ... :( I just wasn't able. My husband watered my main beds and tried to keep them going but we still lot several plants.

I am in the middle of trying to put in a foundation planting in front of my house (only been here 8 years!) and I am watering like crazy trying to keep those new plants going. It is going to be a LONG summer if we don't get some rain! We are on well water... hope it holds out!

Genna

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9149676

Crit, I'm glad to hear you're getting some much needed rain. We got a lot of rain today, and more for tonight. Should be good for at least a week, though it looks like we may be getting more this coming week, but not a lot. Fine with me.

We have not had an extreme drought here like some of you have had. It was hot and dry last summer, and I might have lost one or two things, but no daylilies were lost. Did no supplemental watering, either, for the most part. We have a well, and really can't water too much, as we run the chance of it getting too low. Plus it ups our electric bill and puts a lot of strain on the pump, which isn't good to begin with. Besides, I do enough watering with all the pots I have of stuff for sale, plus all the containers of annuals I put out every year. I have not put out too many this year, as I just don't have enough money for much. Have not made enough sales yet.

As for growing daylilies in clay soil, I know a hybridizer in Ohio, Richard Norris, who grows his in clay. He calls his seedling beds the 'clay soup' beds. Seems they do well there. He never babies his plants, so he know they're hardy and tough.

Karen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

June 2, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9149734

I too have clay soil and amend with rotted horse manure thanks to my daughter and son-in-law who own 6 of them critters.

I am more apt to lose irises. I have never lost a daylily yet. Irises are more sensitive to heavy soil and rot. DL love moisture so no problem.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9149764

Yes, irises would have a problem with clay soil. They do better in sandy soil. When I live in Fallon, NV, the soil there was all sand. Irises loved it. We don't have clay soil here, but a lot of it is quite, and with all the freeze thaw patterns we have in winter, and frost heaving and wetness in the spring, we have a lot of problems with irises rotting.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 2, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9149793

Karen, what do you sell?? daylilies or other plants?

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9149816

I sell more daylilies than anything, of course, but I also sell other perennials as well.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 3, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9150177

Do you have a website or just sell locally? Sorry, I am fairly new to the DL forum - well actually hung out here some when I first joined DG but got overwhelmed ... now I am at least visiting the forum some and trying to learn more about the DLs and TRYING to avoid putting everyone on my want list! (which is one reason I had to leave this forum!) :)

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9150231

Genna I got some from Karen last year. I must say I was impressed with the quality. Some bloomed last year the rest should bloom this year. Lots of scapes.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9150429

My regular daylily bed is in good soil, but I have heavy clay in the front. I do amend the soil with MG Garden Mix and I also have donkey and horse manure from my critters. There is a large barn that has lots of dry rotted manure in it that hasn't been leached out by the rain. I have been using that too.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 4, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9152476

Sounds like you have a gold mine there with that manure! I tried to buy some horse manure several years back when I was starting my first flower bed here at my new home... and the guy wouldn't sell me horse manure but brought me a load out of his steer pen... ended up digging syringe tops and ear tags and various other objects out of my bed for years!!! Plus, it was a tiny load for 75 dollars so now I go buy it by the bag - but at least I think I get more for my money and I don't have to deal with foreign objects.

My Dad used to put horse manure on my mom's roses every year and they were always so beautiful!
Guess i need to get me a horse! :)

Genna

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9152685

Genna, I don't have a website, but I was selling on DG Marketplace until the shut it down. Now I'm selling on the Lily Auction, though I don't have any auctions up at that moment. My username there is daylilylady. If you would like a list in Word format of all my available cultivars, I would be happy to send it to your personal email address. Just dmail it to me.

Mike, thanks for the compliment.

Crit, I would think if you do a really good amendment to begin with, then topdress every year with the manure, you should have excellent soil in a few years. Your daylilies should love it!

Genna, I'm able to get excellent quality composted cow manure from a local farm, about 5 yards for $90, including delivery. It's such great stuff, really fine, no foreign objects and looks nice, too. Makes great fertilizer/mulch, with no weed seeds, and looks very attractive. I top dress my beds, and it really improves them, though I have to admit that I'm blessed with fantastic soil here. Shovels cut through it like butter, and it's very fertile.

Karen
gcshari
Chapel Hill, NC

June 6, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9154407

Rita,
How is your garden? Any pictures of your daylilies?
hostages
Wyoming, MN

June 7, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9155844

Just an update. The Selman plants have settled in nicely and no longer look like a cut cornfield. Now 7 of them have scapes, very exciting. Established daylilies are now full of scapes too.

Gary

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9156270

Gary, that's nice to hear. I have many new ones with scapes, and tons of scapes on all my established ones. Can't wait for the parade to begin!

Karen
hostages
Wyoming, MN

June 14, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9165030

Not much blooming yet. Yesterday, when I checked, I had 102 different daylilies with scapes. Watching and waiting.

Gary

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9165754

A few of mine are beginning to bloom, and some very early ones have been blooming for a few weeks now. So exciting! Been doing this for 10 years now, and it still excites me.

Karen
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9167323

somebody needs to start a new thread. i cant load a picture right now, or I would. Rita needs to get back over here ;-o

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9167584

Continued here--- http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1265280/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America