Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cooking: Shopping for a New Gas Range

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 12, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 23, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9054351

I picked up some good tips and info from friends in the Recipes forum but I'm now into serious shopping for a new range as the oven quit working.

It's should be natural gas.

Self cleaning.

Under $1,500.

If a double oven, both ovens must be below the cooktop as we are not interested in re-doing the range hood etc above the current setup.

I would like to try a convection oven...can you/would you ever 'plain' bake instead of convection bake? In other words, should the oven have the ability to do both?

Do not need a fifth burner on the cooktop as I have that in my 'outdoor kitchen' and would do my canning etc outside.

Any comments? Thanks folks.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9055127

Mary the place you buy your gas from (The Gas Company) might have stoves for sale.

General Electric and other appliance companies also sell gas ranges. You might want to try their web sites.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9055207

Thanks honey - we've been cruising the net and found some interesting options. Maytag makes one that has this "AquaLift" cleaning technology. You pour two cups of water into the holding 'tank', turn on self clean and it basically steam cleans the oven.

Love the idea of a down draft but configuring that would break the bank. :-{ My asthma can kick in from chopping and stir frying garlic!!

I like the look of this one but can't find out the height of it to see if the double oven on the bottom will bring it above the counter top. We'll go out maybe tomorrow and see some in person.

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Kitchen-Appliances-Ranges-Gas-Ranges/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbv5r/R-202862181/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

AquaLift: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203187970/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=mgr8880ab&storeId=10051&superSkuId=203184465

SusanKC on the recipe forum said: "forget the warming drawer...it's usually on the bottom and having two dogs and a cat that shed, trust me you don't want anything with food located near the kitchen floor." I'm paraphrasing but that's the kind of tips I'm looking for.

What did you learn after you bought it that would make you reconsider that particular 'feature'. Conversly, what 'feature' works really well?

Maypoplaurel pointed out that when you're talking double ovens, one is smaller so uses less energy and puts out less heat. I didn't know the second oven was usually smaller. Little stuff like that to help in the decision process.

Thanks.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9057873

I bought my range at Sear outlet and got a lot for my money.
hedandan
Hammonton, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9060552

A few months ago I purchased the Kenmore brand from Sears. A high quality product - a variety of models to pick from - convenient to pay for - and should it ever need service, Sears service department is always available and easy to contact.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9060691

The range I bought had some leds that didn't light up in the time display and they sent out a tech with a whole new board at no charge. I am happy with their service, too.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 28, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9060974

Thanks folks - I have several Sears appliances and at your suggestions we plan to find the Sears outlet over the weekend. DH decided he could fix mine with a new $100 part but I said nah. I never really liked that range much anyway and have been smitten with some of the ones I've seen for ease of cleaning.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 31, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9064420

Done Deal! YankeeCat thanks for suggesting Sears Outlet store. When I found a store near my house they were having an inventory sale so, like you, I feel that I got all the features I wanted at a good price. It's a scratch and dent unit but the scratches will not be seen because they are on the sides of the unit and the unit will slide into the countertop between cabinets. It's a GE gas with convection oven.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9064529

Happy cooking!
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 31, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9064567

We *really* miss the 5-minute artesian bread I like to bake.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

April 1, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9066188

I have a Jenn-Air with a convection oven (electric stove, not gas). I do not like the convection oven. I would not have that feature as a "must have" on my next range. I don't like how it bakes cookies, which is one reason why I thought I would love it. My 3 boys were still home and they inhaled cookies, so I made lots. After I baked some on "convect" I went back to the "regulary" oven setting.

I don't think I would EVER buy gas...I'm afraid of it. Had gas when I was a kid, had to light the oven with a match under the broiler and it would go WHOOOOSH every time and scare the cwap out of me. Add to that the fact that one night our milkhouse heater "exploded" when I was walking into said milkhouse...aieeeeee...no gas in MY house.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 2, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9066432

Anna, Jenn-Air makes a great range but it's out of my price range. :-\ I'm sure yours is a wonderful kitchen tool, not sure why you had problems with the convection. It's the cookie baking that is supposed to be so great. Sorry to hear of your problems with natural gas, I love it and these days you don't have to use a match to light it. I wouldn't switch to electric, I love the easy to adjust heat settings.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

April 2, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9066476

I didn't like that I had to rotate the cookie sheets. I'm sure it was me and not the oven.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America