Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

What's leafing out?

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

This is the first of mine to leaf out this year. It still has some filling in to do. I have about 100+ coming up.

Ani Machi aka Geisha

Thumbnail by franknjim
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Mine too! Also here is a bare root I potted up last month, Sagae. Lots of hosta's coming up after two days of rain, think I saw a bright yellow one and I will check that out later today.

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

HOPEFULLY, I won't see any leafing out for a few more weeks. However, with three days of record-breaking heat this past week, all my crocuses were blooming. Likely they will be early this year.

Ottawa, Canada

As for me I'm hoping nothing is coming up, as I'm in Florida until early April. Thanks for posting Viola Ann. I was worried I wouldn't be home in case of a late frost.

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

I've got lots coming up, so I hope that the cold weather is done for this season...

Korean Snow, Lakeside Missy Little, Little Treasure, Seventh Heaven and White Feather

Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

How in the world does that White Feather grow without having any chlorophyll? Does it green up later in the season?

Keep your eye on the weather up there. The cold is getting a little close.

I found a good frost/freeze weather map online.
http://www.intellicast.com/National/Temperature/FrostFreeze.aspx

This is the frost/freeze forecast map for tomorrow.

Thumbnail by franknjim
Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, it does green up like White Wall Tires. Thanks for that link. I think we're about a week ahead of last year's growth. Unfortunately we did have a freeze the first week of May last year. So, I'll just keep my fingers crossed that we make it through without any damage.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I think ALL of mine at home in IL are up, my Northern Sunray [undulata] is the only one unfurling.

In WISC, only lancifolia is unfurling, and many of them are peeking thru the soil, but not all of them yet... maybe half.

I was planning on doing a 10|10|10 fertilizer today, and maybe some compost. that also means going to the store, which i really didn't want to do today.

what's everyone favorite fertilizer?

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

I have lots up but only a few unfurling so far. My overachievers:

1) Pineapple Poll, 2) Rainbow's End, 3) Paradise Island, and 4) montana Aureomarginata

Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi,I drop in from time to time.I have a question about August Moon hosta. I have had it for 3 years and it has always done well.Last year it seemed to be struggling to put out the usual nice bouquet of leaves but this year it has disappeared altogether.
Has anyone had bad luck with this variety.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Nothing leafing out here, but I have several which have broken ground. Too early. Crossing my fingers that we don't have a prolonged cold spell.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I dont have August Moon -- sorry i can't help ya.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for trying.Guess its just lost.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I grow my hostas in containers, they are doing grate under my JM tree. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

They look wonderful.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Joanne - I think it's waaay too early to write off any hosta as gone this year. When would you normally see your hostas? And when in that time frame does August Moon usually show up? Don't forget we are all experiencing warmer than normal temps, but it may just not yet be ready to brave the elements.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

June and Great Expectations, looking good so far. :)

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Quote from ge1836 :
Hi,I drop in from time to time.I have a question about August Moon hosta. I have had it for 3 years and it has always done well.Last year it seemed to be struggling to put out the usual nice bouquet of leaves but this year it has disappeared altogether.
Has anyone had bad luck with this variety.

Some people have been reporting a slight setback in some hosta primarily due to lack of water during the heatwave last Summer. Give it time. It is still early. The majority of mine are up and coming up but a few are still not showing yet.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>primarily due to lack of water

I was going to mention this somewhere but now that is was mentioned....

I had a circle of liners .... [i purchased these plastic lawn boarder things, and made a circle] so i could watch them more closely.

When we were in Wisc last weekend, I noticed when DH backed the boat into the driveway, the boat completely covered my "circle".

I was wondering if they did not get enough water over teh winter, if they could possibly die?
i'd be deviated, -- there are about 11 hostas,, and cost me a bit of change.

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

It is possible that they could have completely dried out. Being that they were liners they don't have all that much moisture in them to begin with.

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

I've been busy getting my sprinklers going! i don't remember ever watering this early...might be a very long summer. Several hostas in one bed were actually wilting!

Rose

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

that stinks... i can't get back up there for about 10 days.

I do know that our Park [in Wisc] did get snow this year, most so than we got at home here...
I just hope it was enough.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Viola Ann: I will just wai and see. Other hostas are nosed up already some Blue Angels are slow. I keep forgetting ,not all plants have the same schedule.

Wyoming, MN

Just staring to see hostas here. Crocus are done dafs are starting and tulips are thinking about blooming. Many things are growing, but the hostas are playing it safe. We are at least a month ahead of schedule and I am waiting for the other foot to drop, ie. frost/freeze to happen. Chance of frost next three nights here.

Gary

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Same here.Gary.
Many varieties under trees haven't shown yet. O K by me. My lilies are nearly all broken soil a week now and freezes are happening. I just have no idea what june will bring

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

We are at least two weeks ahead of our normal schedule, due to the unseasonably warm winter/spring in the Midwest. Here's a few of my hostas as they look today:

Pic 1 - "Honeybell" and "Albo Marginata" bordering my shade garden

Pic 2 - "Golden Tiara" and "Sun Power"

Pic 3 - "Jurassic Park" emerging from a slumber under mulch

Pic 4 - "Sum and Substance"

Re: Fertilizer - I use Milorganite on all of my hostas. It's inexpensive (I get a 50# bag for about $16) and almost pure nitrogen (6-2-0), which seems to give me good color and large plants.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Here is how that same clump of "Sum and Substance" looked on April 26, 2011. We are fully three weeks ahead of last year!

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Leawood: thats the kind of growth and size I am looking for from the new slope garden.
Its not planted yet but Hallsons is sending
Earth Angel
Independence
Paradigm
with a spattering of ferns:
Ghost
Applecourt.
I transplanted Guacamole split into three plants
Smaller variegated leaf found here
Divided Blue Cadet into 6 plants that are along the border

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I love "guacamole" - it's one of the most dependable, durable hostas in my garden.

Pic 1: "Guacamole" in the center of the pic

Pic 2: ""Guacamole" , "Sum and Substance" and heuchera "Stoplight" in the foreground

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just beautiful

Wilmington, NC(Zone 8a)

Really nice plants Leawood

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Quote from tcs1366 :
>>primarily due to lack of water

I had a circle of liners .... [i purchased these plastic lawn boarder things, and made a circle] so i could watch them more closely.

When we were in Wisc last weekend, I noticed when DH backed the boat into the driveway, the boat completely covered my "circle".

I was wondering if they did not get enough water over the winter, if they could possibly die?

just got back up here today, and there is growth on ALL my new hostas. the only one in the circle is Aadrvark... and it was struggling last year. so it may not survive,
but all the others did. YAY.

I've poured about 3 gallons of water on them today.

we are expecting 2 nights of 28f

but i feel i'm pretty protected as i'm in the woods.

I've got a ton of Lancifolia that are fully unfurled and looking just fine.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2012 7:22 AM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its dry here too. I wish we would get 1 night of rain so I can see the hostas emerging.Some are up quite far and others are no-where.
I had a tree cut down in January. I am concerned that Mister. Watson wont like sun and another Gold Tiera has disappeared due to the trunk dropping on it.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I have not taken any images of my plants in Wisc, but most if not all are showing signs on life, even Aardvark, which i thought was dead.

here are a few from home [ IL ]

in the front -- cute little seedling, about 3 yrs old. I'm sure one of the "parents" is Ginko Craig .... has a nice pie crust edge.
then Queen Josephine, Paul's Glory [still unfurling] in the back is Regal Splendor [never fully recovered from when i divided it, and Patriot still making an appearance.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

"Jurassic Park" with "Sum and Substance" in the background and on the right.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice and big.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Almost everything has piped, I was worried about Dragon's eye, finally saw small pip today. Should be a great Hosta this year. I like upright hosta's and this one is the most upright I've seen. :)

1- Dream Queen
2--Minuteman
3--Yellow Polka Dot Bikini
4--Golden Meadows
5--Paradise Island

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose
Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

I love this one, the brightest in my garden in the Spring- "Nancy"

and Liberty looking good this year, I think.

Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

What an outstanding hosta. Beautiful planter too.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for sharing, I really like that 'Nancy', is it slug resistant? Where did you get it, I don't recall seeing one before. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.