Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: Does this look like a pea comb to you?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 11, Views: 107
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #9054786

He looks like he's wearing a big pirate hat doesn't he? Ok, I'm looking at pirate hats and they go the wrong direction. Somebody in history wore big hats that went from the front to the back and were long and slender.

No wonder the man selling him as araucana put his head down and only showed his back. lol

They say a sucker is born every minute, and I'm sure I qualify, esp when it comes to chickens! Sometimes I get a really nice bird totally unexpectly though. Guess you take the good with the bad.

So, DonnaB, what do you think of this guy? Finally got a picture on here for you to see. He is such a funny guy. I turned him loose this evening and he jumped on the female then spread his wings and was chasing the other hens. I thought, oh boy, just what I need some arau-silkies. Caught him pretty quickly and put him back in his cage. He is very eager to reproduce his hat.

Thumbnail by Light_for_Jesus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9055112

not even close LFJ and the legs are not yellow but not sure it matters on a splash since they are AOV. Do not breed that bird to your Araucana hen. Find him a loving home. Those people knew that was a really bad comb when you bought it. If you decide you want to try again for much better but not show quality please contact me. I have some babies hatching now. so far I have 2 whites. 1 born a few weeks ago and 1 yesterday. No tufts on them though. Most all my hens are broody and sitting on more eggs than they can cover lol
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9058038

I wonder how he got such a comb if they raise and sell araucanas.

I was just looking online at some araucanas and saw some called birchen. Man, that rooster is beautiful.

I really need to calm down and get some pens built before I start buying anything else.

I really hadn't considered having other breeds beside the silkies, but now I have the araucana and the wyandottes. Yesterday I saw a partridge wyandotte they were selling that looked almost identical to mine. Had never seen the rooster. He was certainly stunning. I think they were in TN but now I can't seem to find where I was seeing them. The people that sold me mine were from Arkansas I believe.

Donna why do you not consider your araucana show quality?

Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9058138

DonnaB, look what I found in my garage in a planter. You can't tell from the picture but they are very very light blue. The beige one is a silkie egg. It has to be the little araucana's eggs? Such big eggs for a little bird. I'm still in shock. I expected them to be darker too.

Thumbnail by Light_for_Jesus

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9058155

because they have faults such as wrong color legs on certain birds,some have white ears, markings not quite right
Take Patches my best so far. He has white ear patch, legs are not quite green enough, and his duckwing patch is not perfect, his bill is a touch long, his breast is supposed to be solid black and not flecked with the gold, and he has more of a cushion comb than pea comb.

The roo that was so beautiful like Patches but more black(silver duckwing??) had a comb like yours. it's what's in their genes and needs to be bred out. They breed out to other species to get better feather color, leg color or markings etc

Thumbnail by DonnaB

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9058168

the eggs color doesn't show up well in pics on the light blue eggs. Makes them look white. Some of mine are very light to med blue to greenish and still have 1 or 2 that lay white to tan eggs. I missed one on the cull a few weeks ago. not sure who's doing it. Egg color is another thing breeders work on. Usually cross with Ameraucana I think to improve and then have to breed the Ameraucana looks back out. it's a long process for breeders to get that perfect bird and egg. They say 1 out of 100 you hatch is show quality if you are lucky and have good birds to start with
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9058181

Oh I see. I read the real true silkies are white. They introduced different breeds into the bloodlines to give them the colors.

RainbowRider
Brunswick, GA
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9102773

I'm not into show type chickens but your chicken appears to be a straight comb.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9103526

*G*. I think it was a rhetorical question :)
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9104114

DonnaB that Patches of yours is just beautiful! Man is he gorgeous or what? I like the gold flecks too. Wow.
RainbowRider
Brunswick, GA
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9109789

*G*. Please spare me my life, i was not aware it was a rhetorical question :-)
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9112444

Thy life shall be spared. Thou knewest not...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America