-
AuthorContent
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9055030

Armenian cukes: Are they difficult to germinate? Should I just direct sow or coax them out of their little shells indoors first?

And what about okra? Throw the seeds on the soil, water and wait?

And do these two have any benefit in the concept of crop rotation, the way legues do for example? I have a bed that has been growing tomatoes for two season or more and am thinking of putting either the cukes or the okra there. Does one add more benefit for soil rebuilding after tomatoes than the other?

I'm planning for these two to be my cash crop - will sell to local Indian food restaurants. Someone else locally did this last year with great results. Would like to pay for my gardening hobby from this crop of cukes and okra.

Thanks for any input.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9055144

In my experience all cucumbers (including Armenian which is not a true cucumber) are very easily direct sown when the soil is warm enough. Since I am an impatient gardener I usually do some seeds indoors in cups, then if they fail when transplanted, I direct sow- Varieties to grow is a dilemma to me. I am very particular about cukes- mine have to be crunchy, not watery- most of the new *burpless* are very watery and not tasty. I'm not crazy about spines, but have found that most of the old fashioned crunchy ones do have spines. I use picklers for slicing as well as slicers. General Lee is a good one but last year didn't produce well for me. I will do it again this year. Also Marketmore. I have given up on Straight Eight after several failures and negative comments from others. Diva was good last year. I haven't stated any yet- way too early here.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9055154

I don't know about the armenian, I'm trying that one as well this year. I'm treating it like any other melon.

I've put okra and the armenian cukes into the fruit, phosphorous group. I don't think diseases are an issue, but phosphorous will be needed, to make up for what your tomatoes used last year.

JoParrot, how did the armenian taste? texture?
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9055218

The Armenian tastes wonderful- very crunchy- mils flavor, with thin skin that doesn't need to be peeled. They have a ridged exterior that looks scalloped when sliced. I wish I had some photos- don't let them get too big- the seeds get pretty big. One year I had one that grew in a complete circle- I let it get huge! didn't eat it. They are a lot of fun to grow- beginners should try them. I even pickled some one year because I had such a big harvest. They were really good.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9055248

Thanks folks. If you have too much you could try selling your crop. On another board, local to me, someone said their SO took a sample from his garden to a nearby Indian restaurant, asked to see the manager and the manager agreed to buy all this guy could provide. (I've posted this somewhere before, if I'm repeating here, please excuse.) He sold that restaurant (maybe some others as well, not sure) 900 lbs of Armenian cukes. Even at just $3/lb, that a chunk of change.
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9055307

I soak my okra seeds overnight in water with some hydrogen peroxide in it. It helps them germinate faster when planted. Also, thin them out early or else you end up with a big mess!

I direct sow my cucumbers and melons.
rwaterspf1
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9055667

I also soak my okra seeds overnight before I plant them. I start them indoors at the same time as my tomatoes.

-Vaughn
tarheel2az
Tonto Basin, AZ

March 24, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9055701

Okra loves Arizona. I fertilize them tomato style. NKP at 1-2-2 ratio, first application when pods form, monthly thereafter.
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #9055892

Okra also loves Texas, but I don't fertilize them and I get a bumper crop every year. When I harvest, if I'm not going to use immediately or if I only harvest a couple of pods, I rinse them off and allow them to dry, then toss them in a bag in the freezer.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 25, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9056008

Thanks folks!
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9056105

I love Sugar Crunch cukes, I start them indoors and don't have a problem when they are planted out. Matter of fact I'm a week or so from eating my first and I can't wait! YUMM

I'm about to put my okra in...I know I know I"m a week or so early but i'm impatient..

Can anyone give me pointers on melons (cantaloupe & watermelons) in a raised bed? How much fertilizer, when? Does it need lime?

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9056178

Make sure you have PLENTY of room for them to wander! They will go all over the place!
TX_gardener
Brady, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9056208

Oh, yes -- that's the extent of my 'knowledge' re melons ... I planted a couple in a 3x3 raised bed and thought I was gonna have runners take over the whole neighborhood!
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9056235

It goes from this...to this and beyond!!

Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx
Click an image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America