Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Vegetable Gardening: Cabbages

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 10, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9055044

I looked in the archives...still needing answers to a question. How DO you get a cabbage to form a head? I didn't realize they wouldn't...but, we are on our 2nd round. First time, last year...red cabbages. Never grew over 6" tall, never formed a head. Had them for over 12 months in the ground.
2nd round, planted them in the back veggie garden, back in november I think. They are about 12" tall so far...no heads.
I am in zone 8B, SC midlands.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9055073

Cabbage head when they feel like it. Generally not a problem. They are heavy feeders, especially nitrogen, so if you are not getting size that may be the problem. They also need loose soil. Most red cabbages have a very long season, so they are a problem in the south. If the soil conditions are right, I would suggest that you start with short season varieties especially in the spring.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9055137

My Lowe's has some "45 day Cabbage" transplants- maybe they would work for you. They need cool temps.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9055386

Well, turns out neither DH nor I have ever raised cabbages. So, we haven't a clue. What I found online, was contradicting information mostly. I bet it is the feeding thing for one though. We have a heavy clay soil, working on amending it, but that will take a lot of time and organic material.
Thanks for the input...we're working on it. >>smiles

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9055401

moxies_garden - I've never grown cabbages either because I've read that they are hard to "head". If you would like to grow something that tastes like cabbage but is easier to grow (and is in the same family) try collards.

I have heavy Carolina red clay soil, too. My solution is raised beds.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9055422

For the past 2 years I have grown Caraflex cabbage in the cinder blocks that edge my garden. No problems at all other than aphids- I sowed seeds then transplanted- it has to be in cool weather. Best time is Fall, but with cooperation from weather you can try them now for spring.I'll find some photos from last year and post later.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9055427

Cabbage does fine in Piedmont red clay. Just make sure you work it about 8 inches deep and and add nitrogen. Chicken manure works wonders. Actually cabbage is one of the easiest vegetables to grow. Major problem is cabbage worms which are relatively easy to control.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill   Thumbnail by Farmerdill   Thumbnail by Farmerdill   Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9057684

I'm in Houston.
I grow cabbages.
I grow them in 5-gallon buckets.
They make HUGE heads.
I give them away...

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9057715

Even if you think your soil is problematic, you can grow them in a bucket or large planter. I use the eBuckets with a built in reservoir. The plants love access to water-on-demand from the reservoirs.

Last fall/wtr, I filled the buckets with a mixture of 3 parts pine bark fines, 2 parts peat (MG potting mix or reed/sedge peat), and 1 part perlite. This fall/wtr I'll be adding some aged compost to that mix in the ebuckets.

Holler if you need me!

Linda
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9057806

gymgirl-I remember reading about your cabbages...in the cast iron thread I think. I enjoyed reading about your Auntie that lived with you for a while. I might try them in a 5 gal bucket next time...mine are all busy right now. Or,I need to go and buy more 5 gal buckets...lol

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9057867

Never, ever, NEVER buy a bucket! There are too many to be had for FREE. Scout around your community. Burger joints use pickle buckets. Pool companies use 6.5 gallon ones for chlorine. Bakeries get em with icing. ..

Become, "The Frugal Gardener!"

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America