Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Garden this year? yes or no

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 6, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Jarsh83
Greenwood, IN

March 24, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9055138

I am trying to figure out if I even want to do a garden this year. The reason I am on the edge is because of the 85 degrees in March. So what is it gonna be by June? Now hopefully you are seeing the problem. If it is going to be 100 or more this summer what is the point. Harvest would be low and plants won't really grow in that kind of heat.

Any thoughts?
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9055147

Go for it- all true gardeners grow stuff- a little challenge such as freaky weather shouldn't stop you. You don't want to be wishing later that you had done it. What do you have to lose other than some seeds and time?? And everything to gain if it works out!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9055155

I agree, I'd give it a try. Some years gardens work out nicely and some years they don't, but especially with how wacky the weather's been the last couple years I wouldn't try to predict what the summer will be like based on what the weather's like now. With gardening you just have to accept that some years will be good and some years will not be as good--if you want a guaranteed result then gardening is the wrong hobby! Even if you were having a more normal spring that wouldn't mean the temps couldn't be 100 degrees in June so every year you're always taking that chance that things might not turn out well.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9055157

Here are the Old farmer's Almanac weather predictions for 2012...just find your region ...Indiana is Region 6 and 7 and click on the city nearest to you.

http://www.almanac.com/weather/longrange

As JoParrot says, all ya have to lose is a few seeds and some time.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

March 26, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9057796

Oh Please, Please, Paleeeeeease go for it and start your garden, IF you don't, you realise the year that follows will be hell on earth to try remake the garden, all your years of hard work will be back to nature with weed's / weed seeds everywhere, the soil depleted and the whole outline of the garden you were once So proud of, just s dried up tip of bit's and pieces.

I live in Scotland, UK and believe me we have all been battling the opposite to your plight, we are so wet, had constant storms, tree's, shrubs, veg have been stripped of all foliage, buds burnt by salty winds at 75- 90 mile an hour that bring down wonderful old 100 Odd year old trees which in turn brings down very old retaining walls so this in turn allows the rain to wash loads of soil down to the hole where the tree roots were and now we have muddy water filling up the land drains, do I want to give up on my garden, has nature had the last laugh, you bet it has but then, I go to bed at night and ask myself !! are we leaving this place or staying, answer, we are staying, next ask, do I want to fix this and work with what nature has left me with, you bet, I have to fix the place up AGAIN !!!!, as I don't want broken walls and choked drains to spread water all over the place and as I write this, I have a beautiful bright red Rhododendron in full bloom 6 weeks ahead of the normal flowering time, so to answer your question and being in the same situation as your in regarding the state of the garden through wacky weather that our climate is not normally used to coping with.
I'd rather put my back into my wrecked garden than have a wreck of a garden because I never tried to tend it.
Hope you can see past the heat, maybe delay some plantings till later, but most of all, try to remember why you love gardening, you don't want to let the area go to ruin in couple of seasons.
Good luck Jarsh83, there are better days ahead.
WeeNel.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

March 28, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9061142

Just remember what MONTH it is and what the temps USUALLY are and be prepared to cover the sensitive stuff if it gets too cold. It IS March after all and in the N.E. for instance it can be REALLY cold so I keep an eye on the weather and cover sensitive stuff like my carnivorous plants if I put them out early (like I have done already!).

JudyinGA

JudyinGA
Newnan, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
12:23 AM

Post #9061383

Here in Atlanta we hardly had a winter at all. It's almost like we are a month ahead of time in temps. Our usual last frost is April 15 but March has consistently seen high temps in the 80s, lows in the mid 50s and low 60s. I held my breath at first but I think we can trust the early spring now. I look at it as having an extra month to garden. I AM ready to cover things, though, if Mother Nature throws us a curve.

Down side: I already have the A/C running. Dang high electric bills are on the way. :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America