Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Self-contained Box Gardens: Planting out tomatoes but a question ...

Communities > Forums > Self-contained Box Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Self-contained Box GardensReplies: 2, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

March 24, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9055229

I'm planting my tomatoes in my EBs today but want to be sure it's okay to put them in the same potting mix I used for my broccoli and eggplant this past winter. We always dig them out, wash them and add some new mix, but I can't afford to completely replace it, but I mainly want to be sure there's nothing wrong with the ones where the broccoli was? I can't take any chance with these tomatoes!!

Thanks ... I'd really appreciate a reply ASAP!
~Susan

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9055342

Susan - eggplant and tomatoes are in the same family.

Gardeners say one should not grow in the same place as a vegetable family grew last year.

Personally, I've never followed this suggestion, but you should do what you are comfortable with.

One tip I would give - stir up last year's potting soil to get lots of air incorporated into it.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

March 25, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9056985

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate your reply.
~Susan

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Self-contained Box Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
EB von219 3 Aug 8, 2008 4:01 AM
Welcome to the Self-contained box garden forum melody 44 Sep 25, 2008 3:01 PM
Question about Spinach and EB's? IO1 23 Oct 13, 2008 8:48 PM
Never had one, How do I make my own? tetleytuna 3 Sep 21, 2008 4:46 PM
Threads related to this topic (please read and respond) tetleytuna 23 Jun 24, 2014 3:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America