Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: TEA ROOM # 106

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 221, Views: 1,260
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 24, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9055460

Good morning everyone. Well we. have moved yet again. So many friends dropping in . Its so nice to come in each day and see you all.
Still quite dark here. About time the powers that be altered when the darn daylight saving thing ends.
I potted a few plants yesterday ans enjoyed some warm sun after a very chilly morning.
I dont mind the cold mornings when the day turns out to be so lovely.

Lots of little green shoots coming up around the garden now. Poor things are looking around for other green company.
Everything is so brown.
It wont be for long though as I see the nasturtiums are stirring, so will soon make a green carpet again.
I really must keep on top of them this year as last time they grew so wild. Up in trees and covering everything they could find.
I keep telling them they can roam wild in the paddock garden but they want to be up around the house. Probably think they are missing something.

Nerines are the first to flower. A few lonely red ones already coming out.
One thing about bulbs, you just cant kill them. They will come back each year regardless of the weather and give us so much pleasure.
Better go over and put up the signpost . I dont want anyone getting lost.
Enjoy the day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 24, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9055508

We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1244790/

Cant have people getting lost.
I have the kettle on and am going for a walk down this beautiful track
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 24, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9055527

Good morning everyone. It's still cool here but a lovely sunny day and no wind at the moment. The GHAXBB should be right out this morning, so will get a pic later. It looks like BB at the moment but I'm hoping it will open up wide and show right down the throat like GHA. The perfume should be great. EP has lots of buds and EP has about 6 and Lipstick has some and Avalanche. I wish the seedlings would hurry up before the cold really sets in otherwise I'll be waiting longer. It is just a waiting game isn't it? The broms are taking a lot of time too now with all the pups needing to be taken off and potted. It seems that I go from one end of the SH and work through them and then have to start again. I have a lot of Epis that need to go into hanging pots too, but where do I hang them? Think the side of the Carport might be looking good. Maybe even the boys monkey bars. lol I hope everyone is well and it's great to see you come back in Louise. Looking forward to all the NH pics again. Must go and get some work done. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9055572

Colleen, that is the sweetest picture.
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

March 24, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9055632

Happy Sunday, everyone. I read all your posts, peeking through the window, just hate typing on this laptop..should plug the other keyboard into it. The desktop is back with a new 1TB hard drive ..seems it was the hard drive that did the meltdown and hubby found a comp genius just working in a little place and he saved most of my data from the old one. Desktop was barely two years old.

Election day here yesterday. Youngest son worked on a polling booth which he thoroughly enjoyed and they asked him to work on the next one..which may not be too far away as we live in the former Premier's electorate...and a council one too. He did jury duty in January and now this. Seems to like these things. He'd be thorough and quick.

Jean, you said bulbs last forever..Lol! I must be the only one who can kill them..gets so humid and hot here, they rot in the ground. Daffodils and tulips and hyacinths are always regarded as one season wonders here.but Hippeastrums breed quickly, as long as they have sun. Unfortunately, sun is in short supply here. Colleen, I use the trampoline for epies..it's the right height for potting up and water doesn't pool on it. I use it for my startings..also use the top of Dunlayin Castle, the large chook tractor..though I have a tarp underneath and have to keep moving the baskets and checking/ cleaning underneath them.

The sky was clear early this morning but it seems to be clouding up. We missed the torrential rain here last week but it seems the Sunshine Coast got the heaviest that locals can recall so we may have a houseboat up at Caloundra.

Have a great day all..and warm wishes to those OS..I love reading your posts. Charlene, my best friend at art college had just come from Texas and we did so many things together..always joked later we had been like Thelma and Louise. It was a shock when she passed away suddenly last May from a pulmonary embolism. We always said we'd have to write a book. I know I was the only one at her funeral to know why certain songs were her favourites. Lol! I miss her weekly phone chats. She had horses and a donkey here at their "ranch". Her family bought 40 acres "out in the sticks" when they arrived here..and it's now worth many millions. Her mum was the matriarch, well into her 90's when she died a few months before my friend. and was a strong small woman who never let her kids live their own lives.

Ciao, Kat.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 24, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9055915

Colleen, put that pic into a frame, it's lovely.

Well, for someone who was going to come home asap, Ray has settled in nicely...he is in a room with 2 ladies
same age, same problem...they baby him terribly...they give him their newspapers, get him cups of tea, because the tea trolley doesn't make it hot enough...advise him on how to get comfortable, tell him what channel has a good movie...
Both ladies have had their op, a few days before, so they know how he feels...

After only a couple of days they are like the 3 Musketeers...they clap each other when they achieve another step forward with their rehab and they get stickers for each step, that they display on their walkers, it's hilarious.
He may never come home to the cooking and the dishes...lol

Jean I forgot to answer you the other day, yes they were the Scabiosa "Crimson Clouds" they should start turning up all over the garden...

Look at what I had for dinner last night, Ray's not there, so of course we had pizza, the best pizza I have ever had...2 pieces and I may never eat again...We sat on the floor and watched the latest "Twilight"...I am not a fan...but Linda and Steph love it...I didn't say what I thought of it...not when they paid for the pizza.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 24, 2012
10:42 PM

Post #9055933

Dianne, I had to laugh...
I can just imagine Ray laying there, being so babied. He would be loving every minute.
Men are such sooks when having something done like that. ..
He may never come home. I see him laying back with a procession of dear old ladies looking after the "poor man "... LOL

Get into the pizza while you can..
I bet he will say how sore and sorry he is when he gets home again... I hope he isnt expecting more babying ... giggle, giggle...

Jean

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 25, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9056604

Good morning everyone..I just had to play sheepdog and round up lost people from the old thread.
Cant have lost friends wandering around on their own.
Its an overcast morning again here. Not too bad yesterday and I did get a lot done.
I am working slowly , doing one part of the garden at a time. Yesterday , I weeded and cleared part of the front grass & lilium garden.
Today I will cut the tall shrubs back and cut the ends off the cypress branches to let more light in on the brugs that live under it.
The sun has just broken through the clouds so should be a lovely day.

Anthony, congratulations on your prizes and bad luck about dropping the bottle.
Keep going with the computer, you will master it yet.

Teresa, pats for a very good Sugar. She will be a champ in no time.
Its a pity more people dont do something with their dogs as it is enjoyable for both the owners and their dogs.
Hope you are getting some of this mild weather there.

Louise, if we dont see you before, have alovely trip back to NH.
I hope your garden there is not too full of weeds .
Pat those dear girls for me.

Dianne, how lovely your fasciated bloom was and the finding of 2 ovaries is great. I do hope something comes of the pollinating.
Your garden is looking so pretty now.

Colleen, I told you that a second storey would be needed on your shadehouse..lol
You will just have to roof the whole yard.
I keep saying that to hubby and I am sure he believes I would do it if I could.

Chookie are you getting some sun there ?
It will be an interesting time when spring arrives and you get started properly on the spring garden planting.

Chrissy. how are things there ? Hopefully drying out a bit more now.

Charleen , I saw a mule on TV yesterday that looked just like Charley.
Is he taking up a movie career ?
I notice he was up at the Tea Room and took all the cookies I left out for him.

Moon , how are you doing over there ?
Your garden must be looking lovely with the spring flowers now .
Hope no more storms are around .

I am off to check on all my brug buds and make a start on the trimming .

Hubby will be able to play with his chainsaw in a week or so as there are a couple of small trees to be cut back.
He is not allowed to tackle the large trees as they are too much for him.

Hope you all enjoy a lovey day.
Heres a tasty nibble for morning tea... Orange Chiffon Cake.
Have a great day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 25, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9056632

Not bad here, Jean...the sun is peeping thru.
Thanks for compliment on the garden...it does look the way I had envisaged when we moved here...
These are the times, that I am glad it's small..
Other times I look at your's and think I wish I lived in a park like you...then I remember the drought.

Anthony, congrats on your win, bad luck about the Remy...what program are you using for your pics?
between us all, we should be able to help.
My cousin was going to throw her new laptop and her mobile out the window the other day...she had a cuppa instead... : -)

Off to feed Mick, he doesn't like these late breakfasts...Ray feeds him at 6.30...he has a bale of hay in his paddock, but that's not his brekky.
The Japanese Windflowers are lovely this year.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9056644

Hand in the air...thank you for coming to find us, Jean...grin I was reading and got distracted and forgot to click the link. Louise and Teresa and I were just chatting away...tsk tsk...

Glad those that wanted it got some rain happier that those that don't didn't get it. Finally was able to touch base with my son in law's Mom. She lives in Townsville and we were concerned for them with the storms last week...fortunately, no damage where they live and they were in Caloundra when it hit.

Wishing you all a happy Monday, hope it is the start of a lovely week for all.

My Phaius orchids decided to bloom. The second pic is of a plant that I have been calling a "soft leaf bromeliad" would any of you happen to know its' real name?

Lost my connection...dratted computers...grin

Wanted to say here also, congrats to Anthony...sorry about the Remy

This message was edited Mar 25, 2012 5:21 PM

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 25, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9056721

Good morning all, Jean lucky for us you round us up at the right time!! LOL
No sun here very overcast but not complaining. I just ordered a load of firewood for my open fire- have decided not to go with putting in gas as it is too exepensive long term with everything rising in cost. My loppings will be more than a years supply for next year when they dry out too.

I am just ordering some Spring plants online. I am looking forward to seeing what happens here in my forst Spring, as I suspect there may be some bulbs I don't know about popping up from previous owners.

I have just scanned this plant for someone to help me identify . Is it a weed or an Euphorbia?

It is in a corner behind the shed and creeping in from the neighbours paddock - slowly so not too vigorous.It looks like it may have been a throw-over-the fence type of garden escapee.( naughty whoever did it). The nearest I can find that looks like it is Euphorbia Wulfenii but haven't seen the flowers yet and the small leaves on top confuse me as Wulfenii doesn't seem to have them. A weed or not? The declared weed Euphorbia sp. is totally different I checked that first! LOL

Dianne those windflowers fit so nicely and your garden is a picture of harmony. Lovely.

Thumbnail by chookie2

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9056748

Mick and Charley do love their food, Don't they. Charley probably has a twin somewhere...
Here is a clematis we have blooming. It is so pretty.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9056799

Looks like Euphorbia cyparissias

http://www.missouriplants.com/Yellowalt/Euphorbia_cyparissias_page.html
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 25, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9056888

Thanks for the image the moonhowl. I think perhps not this one. The leaves and tops are different to me. Have a lkook at the pics I took this morning. The tops appears to have seed pods on them - or are they about to flower? ( you can tell I know nothing about Euphorbias! LOL)
The first pic is the tops and the second shows the way they are growing along the fence.The red berries on the ground are from a hawthorn in my neighbours yard.

Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

March 25, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9056988

Charlene, your private emails are coming through to me in a 'scrambled digital mess'...i'll try this,.,.my god-i think its working,.,.my 'starfire' from the show

Thumbnail by g_whizz

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 25, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9057009

Beautiful , Anthony. Love the sunset colors.

chookie, I was told once that euphorbias have a milky sap which you have to be careful of.
I know nothing about them as they all die here.
I have seen similar ones to yours in gardens .

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 25, 2012
10:08 PM

Post #9057038

They sure do, Charleen...I had to get some worm paste too, so I'll have a fight with Mick tomorrow...he's 15 this year and very cunning when it comes to something he doesn't like...The granules do the job and they are so easy to give, but they only last a month and they're not cheap...
Love your Clematis.

I have Euphorbias, coming up in my garden all the time, they are a real pest, our next door neighbours used to have them..and that was 3 yrs ago...they look exactly like your's Sue, I don't know what the berries looked like though...I only know that they keep coming up...these ones grew to about 1 metre...

Anthony, that Dahlia is lovely...looks like you're getting the hang of it...
Moon, pretty orchid, don't know the other one...

A few weeks ago I mentioned that some pesky birds were nesting in next doors garage...well here they are..
Mynahs...yuk...about 20 of them flew off before I could take the pic.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 25, 2012
10:21 PM

Post #9057045

Yes one metre is about the height the of ones in the paddock - the cows have eaten all but a few right in the corner behind the electric fence. Yes the sap bled from both stem and leaves Jean . I wonder what it does? I recently read that the sap of a fig will get rid of warts.

Ok- thanks all who chipped in - if they are going to be a pest they are gone. I wondered because they are slowly emerging along the side of the shed like escapees. I will check them for flowers over the next few months so we can be sure. Along with my tree onions which I have begun to pull and compost in the water barrel for liquid manure - very strong garlicy/onion smell already, so might also be good for bugs.
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 25, 2012
10:31 PM

Post #9057046

Just to update on my garden 'doings' .Today I planted some Dutch Iris in the Herbaceous border and some Daffs outside the window. Adjusted the walls on my pond before I fill it.( hard work as I used bluestones to rebuild a bit of it and boy are they heavy - I used a furniture trolley to move them LOL)
Had a load of firewood delivered and helped unload and stack it.Picked some almonds the birds missed, chased the silvereyes off the figs for the millionth time and sawed off a branch from the blackwood over the Mandevilla so I could untangle it a bit and work it along the wire fence instead.Now I am done/done in for the day and it's only 4pm.LOL
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 25, 2012
11:58 PM

Post #9057074

Hello everyone. I see we've moved. I'm running fast to try to catch up. I've been off doing other things. Now the weather has improved so much, I'm not indoors so much. Oh, how I love Autumn. Such a beautiful time of the year.

Went walking along a beach down by the bay this morning. Found a nice small polished piece of agate that someone had tossed. Certainly didn't belong where I found it. Oh well, their loss, my gain. I'm a bit of a collector of pretty rocks so this will fit in nicely.

Hope everyone is off to a good start for the week. I'll go catch up on what you've all written now. Take care.

Karen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

March 26, 2012
1:55 AM

Post #9057104

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by g_whizz

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

March 26, 2012
2:04 AM

Post #9057108

my open entry, 'fabric and foliage'

Thumbnail by g_whizz

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9057209

Those are cool Anthony. Glad you got the computer straight.

Chookie, I read a blurb that says Australia has 84 different Euphorbias 64 of which are indigenous.. But I found a link that you may want to peruse in your spare time...it is an alphabetical collection of Euphorbia species images and info. It is a German site, but includes translation.

http://euphorbia.de/jacobsen.htm

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9057329

Anthony, sorry , don't mean to send you messes.
Beautiful arrangements.
Charley and the donkeys don't like worm paste either and I need to get some for them too.
Must taste terrible. If I think I'm going to have much trouble I'll wait til my farrier gets here, he is so nice he will help me.
Chookie, I have a plant similar to that and it's common name is Gopher Spurge...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 26, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9057978

Good morning everyone.
Still a bit dark outside with the sky overcast . It should clear later in the morning to another lovely autumn day.
Yesterday ended up hot in the afternoon. I finished all the trimming etc in the front and am starting on the largest job, in the cottage garden.
The first thing is to get the bougainvillea cut and removed so I can work without any thorns getting at me.
I will get in with my loppers and cut it off at the base then get hubby to help me simply push the whole mass over the fence it sits on.
From there its easily removed later.
I am going to level the whole garden in there except for one or two trees I want to stay large, like the cotinus and the snowball. Most of the other large ones are buddleas & abutilons which badly need chopping . I may find a few things under neath that I had forgotten were there.
I dont have to do much elsewhere as its all dead until spring. I leave the trees in the orchard now to do their own thing as they make a good windbreak for the salvia area.
I lost a few salvias but those still there are great survivors.
I have some small grasses to plant out soon so may add them out there.
The sun is coming through the clouds now so I will finish my cuppa and get an early start as I want to water the pots etc first.

Hello Anthony. Thats a lovely display in your fabric & foliage entry. Shows imagination .

Charleen, Charley will not love you giving him urky worm paste. I'll have to get him a special cookie after that.

Chookie, you are going to be very busy there with all your plans taking shape.

Hello Moon, how is your garden doing now ?

Karen, lovely to see your smiling face . Glad you are so much better . Hope the sun is shining for you there.

Dianne, I well remember those mynas from childhood, living in Melbourne.
They are a real menace. They dont seem to like leaving suburbia though thank goodness. You never see them in the country.
We get the b*** starlings instead. We only have a few starlings passing through here , but you see them sitting along the power lines in their hundreds.

Hubby has to see the electrician today as it looks like the darn element is playing up in the hot water thingy.
I hope it isnt anything too bad.

Better move and finish my cuppa.

Hello Chrissy and Teresa and all others popping in.

Heres something nice for you all...delicious Sponge Roll.
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 26, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9058000

Morning all, Jean, I can hear you coming, race you to the front door...
remember when we used to say that and mean it...lol

Karen that sounds like a good find, when we lived opposite the beach, the things that would wash up were amazing...I found a canoe one morning, which was a bit scary when I thought of the possibilities...I rang police and they said just hold it until we have a report..none came thank goodness...
I would often find large plastic barrel type things that hold water, they were very handy for making manure tea.they were very strong and had screw on tops and long pieces of old thick rope that was obviously mooring rope...all very interesting.

Anthony, I like your foliage and fabric...

You are going to be super fit Sue...be careful, hernias sneak up on you...that garden is going to be lovely.
I may get my farrier to help too, Charleen...he has no trouble with him...
Looks like a nice day ahead.
enjoy your day all.
Dianne

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9058166

Dianne, I ain't getting any younger, and he will help. I bet yours will too. My Farrier is the best...
Charley will be ready for those cookies Jean, he doesn't like the paste , at all...I usually give him a horse cookie to wash it down...
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 26, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9058393

Found it - gosh I didn't realise there were so very many Euphorbias and some with thorns you wouldn't believe. I can understand how one could get hooked on collecting one species though- some were very interesting. Thanks for the Euphorbia site Moon and to Ridesredmule for the gopher spurge which led me to exactly the right one.

euphorbia lathyris

http://www.google.com.au/searchq=euphorbia+lathyris&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=mxdxT8myKqaKmQXCwLjhDw&sqi=2&ved=0CEMQsAQ&biw=1024

Here is what Wikipedia has to say about the properties of it: Yes Jean it is poisonous you were right to be cautious.

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=gopher+spurge&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1024&bih=643&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=YYKnUYaZ-f24tM:&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphorbia_lathyris&docid=vu-EE5g6

Dianne I will be careful yes, I limit myself to three barrow loads a day- by the time I have shovellled that much soil I have had enough. I do use my brain rather than brawn these days hence the furniture trolley for the rocks- no lifting just tilting.

Karen, Lucky find -agates have amazing patterns in them sometimes, I too love rocks, I brought some back from Saudi with me when I retired - I was lucky enough to find a strewn field of meteorites out in the desert, and some sand roses - luckily customs allowed them in. I gave each of my students "one piece of a star"- they were amazed and excited at the idea. I had one made into a pendant for myself as it reminded me of Munch's "The Scream". I imagined it hurtling towards Earth and screaming all the way- it has the right 'expression'! LOL.

The second club I joined after the garden club when I moved here was the gem and rockhound club in Warrnambool, so hopefully I will get to know some local rockhounds to go hunting with.

Have been invited to a Rotary lunch tomorrow at a local school for Indigenous teens so that will be interesting- it is not far from me and I wondered what was behind those gates - tomorrow I will know! LOL Curiosity ...

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

March 27, 2012
1:46 AM

Post #9058696

Charlene, it seems that my personal emails from everyone, are almost unreadable?- not just you,..,.Ah well!!

Thumbnail by g_whizz

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9058933

Good, then I still send one once in awhile. Maybe you can look at the pictures as a new Art Form!!!!
That is beautiful Anthony...Love it!!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9059067

Oh that is cool Anthony. The fabric has an almost floral look to it...well done.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 27, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9059099

Anthony, Charleen is right...the combo of orange and yellow with the black is really striking...well deserved first prize.

Charleen, I'm going to try a bit of subterfuge with the worm paste, I am going to coat the syringe in molasses and see if I can sneak it into his mouth...I only use a halter these days, so I don't have the control or the strength...If that doesn't work then, I will wait for the farrier too.
I use Equest and evidently the patent for the chemical they use runs out soon, so I will be able to get a cheaper substitute...

Sue, it sounds as though you are going to be very busy in your retirement and pleasantly so at that...I am enjoying your journey in the garden.

Jean, I hope you didn't overdo your clean up yesterday and I hope your hot water service problem wasn't anything major.
I've been doing a bit each day...still haven't quite got the hang of pruning the Salvias,
I love them dearly, but boy, do they sprawl over everything...I have lost my Navaho series I had 3, pink, blue and deep pink...
I found a tiny bit of a pale pink one growing in a pot and it's flowering already...darn thing is, I don't remember where I got it from.

Oh well back to bed now...fell asleep in the middle of Miss Marple, woke up and couldn't go back...so the good old computer did some work.

Good morning everyone...edited to say "Hi, moon"

This message was edited Mar 28, 2012 3:34 AM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 27, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9059451

Good morning everyone. I can hear you coming Jean so I'll put the kettle on. Dianne's still snoozing, she had a very late night or is that early morning. Beautiful rose Dianne. Lots of moving going on here to make room for the broms in the SH. All the cacti and succulents are being put together up the back in a section by the fruit trees. The trees will provide a bit of shade for them in the Summer but allow the morning sun. Anyone else interested in cacti? I'll come back later and have a cuppa, must go and get stuff ready for the boys. Have a great day everyone. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 27, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9059481

Good morning everyone.
I'll be glad when this darn daylight saving ends on the weekend. I can go back to getting up in daylight.
Dianne , I was careful not to overdo as I am very aware of my knee as I work. I go inside for a cuppa and a rest then tackle more later.
I have plenty of time as the weather looks like staying dry again for a while.
I planted a few of the small grasses and a buddlea out the front. Should be pretty later .
We have to wait on the local electrician to look at the hot water service to see what the problem is.
Hubby thinks it may be the element.
Its no fun having very cool showers. I am way past the stage of roughing it these days.
I want my hot shower...

Anthony, that arrangement is very eye catching. I love the color combo.
Hope all is well down your end of the country. Give Cocky a scratch for me.

Dianne, lovely yellow rose. Hope you convince that horse that worm paste is tasty.
My salvias just get chopped off at whatever level I want. No finesse with me. Just chop. They grow back. If any dont like it or seem wimpy, they go for more hardier ones. You would be able to grow the tender ones in your sheltered garden.
I have quite a few coming into flower now that were cutting grown.

Chookie, it will be very interesting to see how your garden develops as you go. I know from my own experience how plans get altered as you work.

Teresa, hope all is well over your side of the big ditch.
How is Su gar behaving now ? She must be loving having Copper to play with and annoy with puppy antics.
Hope work is going well for you too.

Charleen, hope you had success with the worm past too. I bet Charley knows exactly what you are giving him.
I'll leave some nice cookies out for him as a reward.

Moon , what is going on in your garden at the moment. Lots of pretty spring flowers ?
Now we are sneaking up to winter, I wish for spring. here too.
Autumn is pretty though with all the colors. Thing is we dont get much color here as eucalypts are so dull.
My autumn trees shed leaves without getting much color this year. Not quite the right weather for them.

Karen, how are things up there ? Drying out a bit I hope.
I see the forecast is for even more rain in the Brisbane area. You wont have much of a dry season , more of a steamy season after all the wet.
Keep well.

Hello Chrissy and Colleen, enjoy your gardens.
Colleen, how is the memorial garden for Brian coming along ?

Louise , hello to you and Hank, pats for the girls. Hope all is well on your trip back to NH.

I am having a second cuppa this morning. I will wait until the sun warms things up a bit before I venture outside.
I am intending to tackle the bougainvillea today. I have decided not to cut the entire plant back, just the part inside the fence
It took ages to grow over the fence and looks lovely in flower.
I can chop all the inside and hopefully keep that part contained , while the outside part can go wild.
I am wondering what surprises I will find under the mess in the cottage garden area when its clear.
I have really let it do as it likes and forget half of what I had in there.
Resolution for me this year, keep the darn thing tidier.

Heres your morning tea nibbles...Banana Muffins
Enjoy the day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 27, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9059584

Hello everyone.

Jean, our wet season doesn't finish until the end of March. So it should ease off soon, I hope, more for the sake of those up northern Qld. I think the younger folk today grew up in drought like conditions for so long, they don't realize that heavy rains and floods were always the norm in Qld.

Colleen, I've never got into collecting cacti as I tend to kill the poor things with kindness. However, I think cacti have the most beautiful flowers of all the plants in the world. As you know, I do have epiphyllums, but that's about it. So I always love to see pics you put up of cacti flowers. I can admire from a distance.

Anthony, what a lovely dahlia display. Wish I could arrange flowers nicely. It looks so beautiful. That fabric and foliage arrangement looks great too, and shows what you can achieve even if no flowers are out.

Good morning everyone else I haven't spoken to. I have to go, the birds are driving me nuts. Toby has taken off into the wild again, but is back this morning with some friends, and they are making a shocking noise out on my front verandah.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9059609

Karen, is it Jasper?? So Beautiful!!!!
I have been pulling weeds and getting my are fixed for my brugs. Oh, I do feel like an old lady for sure.
Not planting them directly in ground. Just sitting pots in ground about half way, that way will be easy to pull up and put in Greenhouse this winter.
this is part of area I am planting.
found these blooming this morning.
Amaryllis
and last is roses

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9059611

Karen, is it Jasper?? So Beautiful!!!!
I have been pulling weeds and getting my are fixed for my brugs. Oh, I do feel like an old lady for sure.
Not planting them directly in ground. Just sitting pots in ground about half way, that way will be easy to pull up and put in Greenhouse this winter.
this is part of area I am planting.
found these blooming this morning.
Amaryllis
and last is roses

Dianne, Forgot to say, I don't have any problems long as I can do it so fast he won't know it is coming...Poor Charley.
But if he raises his head ,I'm too short...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9059655

Hello all.

A few spring flowers here, but almost double the weeds...very little died back over the winter. The trees are all greening out, and the pecan tree has finally got leaves...around here that signals the true end of winter. The pecans are usually the last to leaf out and are rarely fooled by a late freeze.

Sounds like everyone is busy in the garden...hardly a time when there isn't something to do. trying to repot all the orchids...very time consuming. trying to scale back a bit here...working toward having mostly perennials that are fairly self sufficient and getting more stuff in the ground and out of pots.. I hope maybe this year to get an irrigation system to the rest of the garden.

I love the color on this Easy Living Rose and the indigofera is blooming. The cats stand guard in the drive while I work...I am "so" secure...grin

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 27, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9059903

Charleen, I know this stone as Agate but I'm no expert and it could be a form of jasper, which it seems takes on many colours. Sometimes these stones are closely related.

That looks like a lot of work going into your garden bed. More pics when you've got the pots in and they've grown some.

Moon, that rose is not only a beautiful colour, but I love the shape as well. Before I enlarged the last picture, I thought it was going to be Husky dogs in the snow. Cat protectors, good. They look so comfortable there.

Karen

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9060052

Good Morning.

Thanks Karen. It is a very easy to grow rose.

The gray Mea and the black Max are both 16 and the tiger stripe Bob, closest to the street, is 7. They seem to be completely secure as they will sprawl out and sleep in the driveway.

Look at the beautiful and diverse agates in this link

http://www.google.com/search?q=agates&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=8hX&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=tPhyT6nsL4TqgQeo7Igp&ved=0CFUQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=770

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9060204

Oh, Moon, they are all so pretty. I love them all. Karen, I was just guessing but it is a beautiful stone.
Yes, I'll take another picture when I get them planted and keep you updated thru the summer.
I love all the "Attack Cats on Duty" so cute.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9060350

I just look and covet the rocks pictured there...wood, stone and metal...sigh...so much beauty...so little room. GRIN

They really make a good team...they hunt together...poor moles don't stand a chance...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9060412

Me too Moon. I have about cluttered myself out of room. ☺
White wisteria
California Poppy
My sweet Missy Mae
Amaryllis

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 28, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9060671

Good morning everyone. The kettles on Jean I needed an early cuppa this morning. Lots to do. Love the watch cats. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 28, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9060788

Good morning everyone.
Thanks for putting the kettle on Colleen.
I had to go out and open the greenhouses before we head off a bit later for shopping.
Here we are 3 months into the year already. After Easter, it will be no time until Christmas. Where does the time go ?
Maybe its an age thing. Time goes faster as you get older...lol..
We have alight fog here this morning so I expect a lovely day.
Yesterday I attacked some of the jungle. Boy there were some long branches in there.
Plants had extended themselves to get through others to the light.
I am going to have fun removing everything when I finish.
I will just carry it all down the back and build another plant "fence" under the gum trees.
It soon breaks down and quite often, some bits will shoot and grow.

It is looking very bare in parts of the cleared garden now. I will have to be careful not to plant more to fill the spaces as once the plants grow back , they will soon fill all the emptiness.
I may just add a small plant or two along the paths.

Hello Dianne, Charleen, Moon, Teresa, Louise, Anthony, Karen and Sue.

I hope everyone has a lovely day and that you are all feeling really great today.
Enjoy your gardens and dont forget to relax with a cuppa during the morning..
Try this Chocolate & Coffee Cake..

Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 28, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9060988

Good morning world. Again, in a rush this morning. Will have to come back when I have time to be more thorough.

Moon, that is a wonderful page to see all the various agates. It is an amazing stone. I don't have any of the expensive ones, just bits and pieces, but a favourite is this one in the rough called Pink Lace Agate.

Will try to get back when I have more time. Meanwhile, all the best to everyone.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9061055

I love rocks, that is pretty too...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 29, 2012
1:04 AM

Post #9061391

Love the pics everyone has posted, the dogs, cats, flowers, agates...love the link Moon, don't they make you drool.
I had some sliced agates all different colours, at least I think they were agates, I started to get too many, so I had to stop...Also had a couple of those special rocks that when they are cut in two they have like a crystal inside...I forget what they are called now...absolutely beautiful when they are wet.

Ray is home now, so he beat the ladies, he was very pleased and now he's very sore...I have to give him an injection in the stomach, daily.
That stops the DVT...he starts physio next week...because the physio is coming to our house to get him started, listen to the questions that health and safety require answers to.
Do you own a gun?
Is anyone violent living in your house?.
Can the physio use the front door?
Do you have a dog?
Do you have a cat?
Do they bite?

Would anyone answer YES to the first 2 questions...I suppose in today's world, they have to ask...

Charleen, I have the answer to the worming difficulty...I always add a handful of Completo to Mick's hard feed and he loves it...It's like a muesli for horses, but it's the molasses in it that he loves most...so I got some of the molasses that I use for the Brugs and mixed up a couple of large cups of Completo added the worm paste then an extra big dollop of molasses and mixed it all together...added a sliced apple and prayed...

He looked at it, sniffed it, walked away, he knew what was in there, then he came back. After a couple more sniffs, he ate some, walked away again , came back and finished it...if only it's as easy as that next time...I have tried to disguise it so many times, but the smell of his 2 favourites got the better of him...yippee...I also think what might have helped is that I hadn't given him hard feed for 2 days prior..
and he had been looking for it.

Have a nice evening all.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

March 29, 2012
1:05 AM

Post #9061392

Dianne, The real football, starts in less than 30 minutes,.,.GO THE BLUES!!!!!!
A cross post!!,.,Could be worse Dianne,.,.I know a question they left out...'Do you own a demented ferocious cockatoo'-Holy Moly, i've had stern words with all these birds here,for paying out on me,, but they dont take notice,,.my little zebra finch hasnt turned up for a feed of tucker for 4 days,-hope he hasnt become bob hawke fodder,..,
This message was edited Mar 29, 2012 3:08 PM

This message was edited Mar 29, 2012 3:17 PM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9061496

Good Morning

Yes Dianne...they make me drool...grin The rock formation you are thinking of is Geode...and they are just fine...

http://www.google.com/search?q=geodes&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=hWF&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=SFR0T-CSNtOztwe67cmNBg&ved=0CHYQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=770

This message was edited Mar 29, 2012 7:24 AM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9061630

Beautiful, Moon. Don't we love the stones???...
Dianne, sometimes we have to be sneaky with our critters...☺

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9061939

Oh yes. My mom used to swear i was part Magpie...attracted by bright shiny things...grin

Have you ever tried the Apple flavored worm paste? It is what they use at the Equine center here. Dr Klienpeter said they used to applesauce but now use the flavored paste.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9062049

I will look for it, Moon...
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 29, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9062194

Ooooh, I love the geodes, Moon. I only have a few less interesting bits but they fit in well with my other rocks.

Dianne, I hope Ray doesn't need that needle much longer. I also hope its a small needle. In hospital they used to puncture me daily with this vicious thing that left my stomach black and blue.

Anthony, your little finch could be off doing finch things. The birds seem to have the seasons a bit mixed up lately and some are nesting right out of season. Some of Barry's visitors have disappeared too, but we know they'll be back eventually. Hope your little finch will be too.

I'm having a mouse problem here, almost a plague. Have had to call for help as I think they are getting in where the gas pipe to the stove comes up through the floor. I can't move the stove myself to check it though. But the mice are coming out from the stove each night. I've caught 4 and another got away, then 2 more woke me up during the night. They aren't small ones either. I can't figure where else they could be getting in. It could take 1 - 14 days before they come and check it out. Meanwhile, the mice play all through the house at night, and I can't use the oven as they've blocked the gas flow to it.

Staying home today to do some housework. How boring. Hope everyone has a fine day.
Karen

Clearing is still going on, albeit slowly. Barry is getting to where some plants are still alive under all the rubbish. This has been silently growing for many, many years. I hope we can get it out without damaging or shocking it. I don't see them around in nurseries anymore, well, not around here anyway.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 29, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9062237

Good morning everyone. The sun is not up here yet. It should be a beautiful day like yesterday.
I found no orphans at all so just bought my potting mix.
I am going to continue to attack the cottage garden today as well as plant up a few lovely plants.

Hello Anthony
I used to like the footy ( Essendon) many years ago , when it was real football. Okay, so I am of the older generation, but I just cannot stand the continuous hype surrounding what is merely another game . I am so sick of hearing nothing but football all year.
Once upon a time. football was on Saturdays between March & Sept.
One didnt get all the hooha with so many 'practice 'games during the rest of the year and having to hear all about the stupid exploits of some of the drunken morons that seem to be looked on as heroes.
Maybe they should all be take a lesson from the late Jim Stynes on how to behave.

Back off the soapbox..

Hello Moon & Karen. I love those stones. I, too used to have some, but they get heavy to take when one move as often as I did way back then.
I have seen some beautiful collections..
I love the sparkly things too . I still stop at all the jewellery shop windows to admire all the pretties.

Charleen and Dianne, I am so glad I no longer have horses ( or mules ) to worry about. I well remember the arguments I had with them . I was given 3 once as they needed a home and I was renting on acres. One gelding which wouldnt go in a float and a mare with a grown unbroken foal .
They all had to be walked about 5 miles to our place.
Lovely horses though as they were very quiet once in a paddock. We had them for a few years until the owner was able to buy a permanent place and take them back..
One of my daughters was also once given a retired trotter to mind for awhile. She used to nick the shampoo from the bathroom to wash her and could climb all over her. A beautiful horse . The owner took her back when she found a place to have her closer to home but sadly the horse got sanded and died.

Hello Teresa, how are things in your corner of the world. ? Give those dogs a pat from me and I hope Sugar is getting a few more manners .

Louise, it should be getting close to your moving time. Have a safe trip and i hope you can show us pics of your beautiful NH home & garden.

Sue, what project are you tackling over the weekend ? It must be exciting to start in a new place and put your personal stamp on it.

I had better get myself going before it gets too warm to do too much outside.
I hope you all have a great weekend and stay safe

Heres a yummy treat for morning tea...Blueberry Coffee Cake.

Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 29, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9062265

Morning all..
Karen, Ray has another week to go with the injections...very small needle, luckily.

Moon, the apple flavoured one doesn't last as long as the Equest...apple 6weeks, Equest 12/14 weeks...the apple is only $5 cheaper...it may be different in the US though.

Anthony, the Blues did very well...poor Richmond...your little finch might bring a family back with him.
No Jean, the game isn't the same anymore, but I still love it...If you barracked for Essendon, we might have bumped into each other at Windy Hill...Go Cats and Bombers 2012.

It feels very steamy this morning, 29c forecast...you might be warmer, Jean.
Off to check the seedlings.
Dianne

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9062424

I agree, there is just something fascinating about them...Pretty shiny rocks and pretty shiny jewelry...grin

I know nothing about the worm paste, Dianne...just that there are a number of brands/mixes available and many of them are either apple or vanilla flavored...just throwing out the info...

Hope you all have a great weekend...the thunder is starting to rumble here again...so glad we got the grass cut today as the lawn weeds were starting to bloom and it looks like rain in the forecast.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 29, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9062452

[quote="themoonhowl"]I agree, there is just something fascinating about them...Pretty shiny rocks and pretty shiny jewelry...grin
[/quote]

Moon, what about the shoes that the young women can buy these days...no hope now, but If they had been as good as todays, when I was wearing high heels, I would have spent my pay on shoes every week...my granddaughter loves them too, she is only 16, but when we shop together, it's the shoe shops as well as the jewellery shops that we spend our time in..
Isn't the jewellery cheap these days...last year, I went mad on owl necklaces...only a few dollars each, couldn't resist.
All coloured stones, gorgeous...

Lovely day here...just a gentle sea breeze...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9062857

And pretty shiny shoes...GRIN My jewelery obsession was earrings...I have over 50 pairs and just can't part with them...even the cheaper old ones...I guess it is the gypsy in my soul...I love shoes also, but when I find a comfortable style I tend to stick with them til they are worn out...I once found a pair that I liked so much I bought three pairs and tucked two of them away for later.

Have a loverly Saturday
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 30, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9063307

Good morning everyone. I have a poor little sick boy with a tummy bug here. He spent most of the day yesterday just laying on the lounge. I hope Branden and I don't get it. At the moment he's sleeping peacefully but has been running a temp. and moaning in his sleep. I hope he's over the worst now. How is everyone else? Hope you're all well. My garden is full of Brug flowers at the moment. The perfume is heavenly. I have some broms to pot up today so will be busy for a while. I got given some orchids the other day. They are dendrobiums but I don't know what colour they are. Maybe with the SH I'll get them to bloom. Cameren loves rocks too and will pick rocks up off the side of the road and say " look Gran, that's a nice one" He puts them into a box in his bedroom. I showed him the links that have been put up and he was really interested to see all the different ones. Maybe he'll be a rock-hound one day. Oh oh Cameren is yelling out in his sleep again better go and check on him. Everyone have a wonderful day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9063312

Winter virus starting already for you. Poor little man. Hope he gets to feeling better.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9063412

Poor Cameren...hope he feels much better soon. Colleen, that must be glorious with all the broms blooming...I picked up a few rocks while I was in Brisbane and Kuranda. I am like Cameren, I will see potential in a rock...grin

These native LA irises are in bloom.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 30, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9063447

Good morning everyone..

♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ HAPPY BIRTHDAY COLLEEN ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩

Hope I have the date right. ...Bad luck that poor Cameron is not well . I hope he gets better quickly... I hope you get something nice to make the day special...

A warm morning here but overcast at the moment.

Our resident Koala is still here. He must have been moving around in the trees where we didnt see him. They are so good at seeming like part of a tree. He slept all day in the old pine tree yesterday. . The magpies annoy him whenever he moves.

I am going to get an early start on doing more chopping back this morning as it may become quite warm in the sun as it did yesterday.
I have a huge pile of dead branches etc to move down the back now.
Maybe I can talk hubby into helping.

Hello Charleen, Moon, Sue, Karen , Anthony, Teresa, Louise and Dianne.

I must be an odd female. I was never that interested in shoes or jewellery. I love looking at all the pretty things in jewellery windows but never was one for wearing any.
I like my shoes comfortable, no matter what the fashion dictates. I did like my high heels and could dance all night in them , but some of todays heels are just a tad ridiculous .

The sun is coming out now so I'm off outside.
Enjoy the weekend everyone.

Try a slice of this delicious Chocolate Cake with your morning cuppa.
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 30, 2012

Post #9063498

Happy Birthday Colleen...have a lovely day...
We just had a few drops of rain, hopefully it will pour this afternoon.
Good luck to our US friends if they bought a lottery ticket.

I have a couple of Fuschias to transplant, then it will be a football day...
I hope little Cameren gets over his virus quickly and can enjoy his weekend..
I'll save a bit of that cake for later, Jean.
Enjoy your weekend everyone...Anthony leave the plants alone this weekend..take it easy.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 30, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9063521

Happy Birthday Colleen. Hope Cameren is well enough to help you enjoy your day.

Had a good sleep last night (rare) and still feel quite slow to start this morning. Must need another cuppa, yeah, that will do it! Thanks Jean.

Another day of running about, but Barry will be here to help out today, so no buses. Hope everyone has a good weekend planned (or even unplanned).

Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9063657

Happy Birthday Colleen. Many more, hope the young man is feeling better.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

March 30, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9063871

O/K Dianne, !!!!!- I did a church boot sale instead...beautiful 2hrs there and made a quick ''TON"..even sold 2 tango liliums!!Spent $150 at Coles 'early' this morning and got 20 c a litre off my fuel,.,.,.wow!Happy Birthday Colleen, I will raise a beer for you!!-Anthony
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 30, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9063917

Thank you everyone for the lovely Birthday wishes. I've had a great day. Plenty of phone calls and visitors, lots of cards even a birthday cake. Cameren is a lot better today and is just sitting there at the moment having some corn and watching a Steve Erwin DVD. Does anyone know the Apostle Bird. Well I had a small flock of them in my back yard the other day. What a wonderful little bird. They are so friendly just come straight towards you and take stuff out of your hand. I was sorry when they left. I do hope that they come back one day and let the kids experience feeding wild birds. They were wonderful. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 30, 2012
10:41 PM

Post #9063926

Good for you Anthony, sounds like a very good morning...what is it that you were selling, beside the liliums?
Dahlias maybe? I thought that most of your beauties would be asleep.

Colleen, I looked up the Apostle bird and they said that it is so friendly, it's sometimes called the family bird..
What a lovely experience for you and the boys.
Glad that your birthday went well...

Have a nice evening everyone.
Dianne
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

March 31, 2012
2:12 AM

Post #9063955

Colleen, did you have a 'jesus' bird there earlier, that flew away..?I reckon the apostle birds followed it!!
Dianne- 50 Tango hybrids[recently imported], 1 triumphator[deranged] in full bud,and a dozen longiflorum[christmas lily] almost in bud [dont ask]..I got ripped off!!-but anyway, thats life!!,.I also have asiatic hybrid 'Lionheart'...which is a most desirable bloom[Richmond FC] colours

This message was edited Mar 31, 2012 4:29 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 31, 2012
2:26 AM

Post #9063958

No, I didn't see Him, Anthony, but he could have been running away from those blokes and passed through here. It is nearly Easter.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9064125

I am glad you had a nice day, Happy Birthday, Colleen.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 31, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9064538

Good morning everyone.
Thankfully the darn wind has dropped. It was too windy to do anything much outside yesterday.
I get the sneezes when chopping all the old stuff out so left it go while the wind was up.
I did spend a bit of time in the greenhouse and did the rounds of the plants to ask how they all were.
Our koala is still here. He is sitting in the wattle tree near the back veranda.

Colleen, those Apostle birds would have been great for the boys to see. Its nice when one can get close to our wildlife.
We see a close relative around here, the white winged Chough.

Anthony, so glad your sale went well. . Now you have room for even more bulbs.
I found one of the dahlias I used to have in the cottage garden, It is still growing and now it can see the light, it may flower again.

Dianne, did you eat all the cake ? There was none left when I came in for a late cuppa.

Charley wont be pleased as I usually leave the scraps for him.
Charleen, I saw a donkey the other day when we were going shopping. So cute and I thought of Charley and friends .

Moon, hope all is well in your corner of the world. Lots of spring flowers and lovely weather.

Teresa, how is work going ? Give those two spottys a pat for me.

Karen, dont overdo things there. I'm glad you are feeling so much better though.

Louise, are you there yet ? ...LOl
I remember the kids always asking that when we travelled anywhere.

Hello to anyone else popping in for a quick cuppa.
I am off to check all my brug buds.

Enjoy the first day of April.

Heres something tasty for you all...Chocolate Peanut Squares.

Happy gardening
Jean..

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9064566

We had them in dog pen eating grass this afternoon. they loved it. The pup didn't.

Have a peony blooming.
Two kinds
Old fashion Rose

I love Longears as much as my flowers...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 31, 2012
11:59 PM

Post #9065097

Lovely pics, Charleen..beautiful Peony...mine didn't flower this year...I suppose it didn't get cold enough..
No Jean, I did not eat all the cake..it was Charley.
It turned out to be a lovely day here..blue skies...
Sasanqua camellias are starting to flower, all pink and white and very pretty.
Must plant some more bulbs next week...
Lots of pots of my favourite Leucocorums...
My Monkshood is about to flower, I haven't grown them for years...
Well, I hope everyone had a good weekend.
Here's Riverland Frosty Pink in it's starfish shape.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 1, 2012
2:12 AM

Post #9065122

Daylight saving finished yesterday-seems a big shock to me this year,,ran out of daylight tonight,.maybe for sanity reasons, i should turf my mobile phone and not really know what the time is-Some good looking poenys there Charlene...My seed grown 'Wallichianum' lilium is about to bloom.,.,goes to show how'weirdo' our season has been.,,But ,how proud am i?being one of the few people in Australia, to flower one from seed,.,.2 stems from 20 seeds-it was worth it!-Anthony
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 1, 2012
2:46 AM

Post #9065129

Helllllloooooooo...

Hope everyone has had a great weekend. I had a good one plant wise, but darned computer is giving me a headache. Unable to send or receive emails now. Barry hasn't been able to fix it.

Am going to have to try to let people know, no more emails until its solved. Will be hard trying to stop everyone, but I'll do what I can. Barry has his laptop here, so will be able to contact some. I've had to delete all unreceived emails from webmail to try to free things up. It worked for a day, but now its all seized up again and won't let go. Might end up having to lose all addresses and get Outlook Express re-installed. Grrrr...

Went to the markets today. Got one new bromeliad, and a couple pieces of fancy rock. This one is Blue Kyanite and I am really drawn to it. Next is unknown, the last is Red Tiger Eye. Oooh, I love the markets!!!

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9065220

Beautiful Stones, love them all.
Computers are nice; but can be so much aggravation.
Yep, I saw Charley walking around with Frosting in his whiskers. He loves sweets...☺
Anthony, Please show us a picture when it blooms. I know it will be beautiful
This is Iris-Red Rider...

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 1, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9065776

Good morning everyone. Has been a lovely weekend. The weather has been brilliant and daylight savings has finished so we're back to normal for a while. The boys were both ready to go to bed an hour before they usually do last night so I had a nice quiet night. lol Cameren is still a bit iffy with his tummy but he wants to go to school so I'll see how he goes. It's just a phone call if he needs to come home but it's the last 4 days this week so lots of craft stuff and games going on so I don't want him to miss that. Dianne I have never seen a starfish flower on my RFP. It's lovely isn't it? Well, I hope all are well and have a great day. Kettle's on Jean. Colleen.

Thumbnail by ctmorris

katciao
Brisbane
Australia

April 1, 2012

Post #9065783

Hello all. Seems to be a nice day coming up..nice crisp morning and birds are singing. Took the dog for a long walk yesterday over the Green Bridge and round the university..so nice to have so much open green space, including what's left of Dutton Park after the Bridge went in...it was an enormous reasonably untouched area with the cemetery but now it has been "sanctified"..and has been disected by so many bridge access roads and paths. The advantage of clearing it is that they seem to have moved the undesirables on. Middle son "ran away" from home when he was four so I ran straight up there..luckily I did as I would have missed seeing his bike under a bush if I had driven. He was just "talking to a nice man". Yes, he'd had THOSE talks but he's always been an independent spirit.

So nice to see the flowers for Spring, Charleen and Moon. I can see some lovely bromelaids outside the window here. I had planted them along the fenceline but fenceman has removed them. He thinks they are weeds and it doesn't matter whether they are in our garden or not. If he sees something he doesn't like, he either rips it out or poisons it. I try to zen. I never go along that area in daylight now anyway.

Karen, what markets did you go to? I haven't been to Brisbane markets for a long time..I usually go to Caloundra markets if we are up there. small enough and usually genuine sellers..pensioners selling their own plants. Have found some interesting things there. But since they moved from the hospital grounds, it's slowly changed. Some of the bigger markets have stalls of same things you could get at Bunnings.

Still got epies to pot up..might have to start putting shelves in the front garden to catch morning sun..the jungle out the back is growing.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 1, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9065803

Good morning everyone. A beautiful morning here again. Just a tad cool, but its autumn.
No wind which is what I like.
I moved a great heap of dead plant rubbish yesterday and now have the space to make another pile when I tackle the remaining bit of the cottage garden.
Nerines are popping open now and I see little heads of other bulbs coming up.
I had to replant a bucket full yesterday as between the dry ground cracking and shifting and the blackbirds digging, they were all laying on top of the ground.
Havent seen the koala this morning but he is probably still here somewhere. They are very hard to see even close up.

Karen, we had a similar problem with our email last year. It was forever getting blocked off. I had to get the techs on the phone an done very nice fellow told me how to get in and do as you have been doing in clearing the webmail. It didnt always work so I got into them again and whatever they did , worked ,so we havent had any further problems, thank goodness. We use Mozilla Thunderbird as it works better than Outlook.
Love all your rocks.

Colleen, lovely pic of the youngsters. Thanks for putting the kettle on.

Dianne. I love camellias but they dont like it here at all. I have slowly lost all my azaleas & camellias over the years. Now it looks like the small rhododendron will go toes up too.
It must be the water as I have tried pots and in the ground.
Lots of brug buds though. I am watching them carefully.

Charleen, I love your flowers. Peonies are something else that wont grow here .
I gave Charley some carrots so he wont eat all the cakes.

Anthony, I am so glad daylight saving is done here too.
Congratulations on getting those lovely bulbs to grow from seed.

Kat, I thought by now you would have had fenceman chopped up and fed to the turklings.
A couple of landmines would do the job.

Hello Moon, Sue , Teresa and Louise.
Hope all is well with you all.

I am off to enjoy the sun and finish off the clearing up.

Enjoy the day everyone.
Try one of my very favorites... Mud Cake...

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 2, 2012
12:01 AM

Post #9066294

Hi everyone. I'm late in today as Barry has been working on the computer, getting it sorted out. Ended up deleting the Inbox altogether and starting over. Meant losing all emails from the last few days, but at least I didn't lose all my email addresses.

Kat, I've been going to the Beenleigh markets here. It is still the Trash'N'Treasure type market, which I prefer. I don't like the ones that sell cheap new imported junk, and they seem to have invaded most of the markets now. Still some fruit markets there, but they haven't taken over.

Colleen, glad to hear Cameren is feeling better. Nice pic.

And Charleen, lovely iris there. I don't get to see a lot of irises round here. Nor many bulbs at all. I think the soil is too hard and poor and people don't have the money to build it up.

Hope everyone has had a lovely weekend, and that the week is off to a good start.

Karen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 2, 2012
2:38 AM

Post #9066326

Jean, I would say that it's the water too...I have lost countless Azaleas because I forget to water them, the poor things are very shallow rooted.

I think that I have lost my favourite cream Rhodo...it's tucked away in a corner and we haven't had any worthwhile rain for a while...It was doing very well where it was, but no, I had to move it.

Quite cool this evening though a hottie is forecast for tomorrow...
Had a flu shot today...only 2 more injections for Ray's stomach...can't say that I like giving injections, not even to the horse.
Nite nite, Dianne
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 2, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9067269

Good morning everyone.
Well two everyones anyway.. The others must all be busy gardening.
I did more chopping and moving in the cottage garden and today I will tackle the corner which is filled with a few years of spider plants.
Why I ever planted these I dont know.
Sure, they are pretty and do fill spaces, but they dont know how to stop growing.
I thought at the beginning , they would be controllable..
Hmmm Silly me.
I have all sorts. Green with cream edge, green with cream centre stripe. plain green.
I am slowly getting rid of them all around the garden. It takes time and Roundup doesnt work well because of the many tubers.

Foggy here this morning.

I am still watching my brug buds. Just a few more days and I should see flowers.

Hope everyone is enjoying nice weather and I am off to check all my babies.
Enjoy the day.

Heres a nice treat for morning tea... Profiteroles ( with plenty of cream )

Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 2, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9067290

Hi Jean. Good morning everyone. We had an almighty thunder and lightening storm go through here last night. The power was off for about 2 hours and the noise of the storm seemed to be even greater. The little fellow didn't want to go to bed so he finished up with a torch and glow sticks everywhere in his room and off to sleep he went. I was sitting out here with a candle. It was so peaceful and took me back to my childhood when I actually used to read with a candle. I don't think the boys believe that I could see to read, but it seemed to make all those Enid Blyton books even more memorable. Imagine the flame flickering and me reading about the secret seven or the famous five up to their antics. Wonderful books. I hope you're all well but I must get moving and get the boys ready. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

April 2, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9067595

Hello everyone i am now in Perth with my daughter. Only able to access net when kids at school so will just read and lurk until I get home. Best to all. Haven,t got to any gardens yet but hoping over Easter to find some

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 2, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9067642

Wow Profiterols, I loved them when they were cream puffs..they seemed to taste better...and they were bigger.

First The Faraway Tree and the Wishing Chair, then Famous Five and Secret Seven and all her Omnibus books and every other thing that she wrote...how could the woman who wrote these stories be cold and distant...one daughter said she was, the said she wasn't.

That Spider plant is a terror, Jean...we had it once and it took so long to get rid of just a patch...

Have a good time in Perth,Chookie...hear from you when you get home.
Dianne
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 3, 2012
3:10 AM

Post #9067757

wow - took me a while to catch up. forgot to watch this thread.
So, Anthony love your floral art!
Chookie - I have the same euphorbia in my garden & have always treated it like a weed till this year when I let it grow & flower so I could try for an id.
Now I know thanks to your enquiries what it is & will go back to treating it like a weed.
Kat - some people wish to win lotto, bet you'd be just as happy if fence man won it & moved away!
Hope everyone else is fit & well... I had to stop midway through typing this as the dogs needed a potty break & are happy in bed with chew bones.
They spent the weekend at the kennels, Sugar destroyed Copper's bed & shredded her blankie.
We let the staff put the two dogs in one run, strict instructions to remove Sugar if it looked like she was harassing Copper but it saved us 10% on the cost & meant they could snuggle up for company. Wonder if they did? Love to have had kennel cam installed...
We were busy looking at aeroplanes of all shapes & makes & from very old to brand spanking new.
The RAAF sent Hornets & C-17 over, man those Hornets are loud!!!
Brilliant display & for many Kiwis it was the highlight of the show.

We had a special forum meeting the night before in Brendan Deere's 'Biggin Hill' hangar.
His Spitfire is now keeping company with an Avenger that they flew over from Aussie just a couple of weeks ago.
with a Harvard & a Winjeel parked up as well it was a fairly full hangar & we heard a brilliant commentary from Brendan on the history of each aircraft & how they came to be there.

http://www.spitfirepv270.co.nz/index.htm

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9068056

Good Morning All. Jean the profiteroles were lovely Thanks.

Those sound like grand books Colleen.

Sounds like Sugar had a good time at the kennel...grin and you and Hubby at the hangar.

I think we gardeners have all at one time or another been overtaken by what we thought would be a "nice little plant". Spider plant was mine also...

My DD just sent me this video...over the weekend my 6 y/o grandson Aidan decided to make his own science presentation...brown and yellow hairballs and the germs they carry...I just needed to "show him off" a bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFs3HDF4rWU&feature=youtu.be

hope everyone has a grand day.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9068094

Such a bright little fella. So cute...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9068096

Thanks Charleen...I certainly got a kick out of it...especially the "website" he made up for more info...you can tell he is a child of the computer age. grin

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9068390

Yes, they are computer children that is for sure...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 3, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9068463

Good morning everyone.
No wind here and a light fog. Should be a lovely day as was yesterday.
I watered a little and sprayed for spider mites but mainly did nothing much to rest my shoulder. .. b*** arthritis can be annoying.

Hope you are having a nice time over there chookie.. You will be waiting to get back to your garden though.

Teresa, you had a lovely time by the sound of things. I see Sugar is still chewing her bed.
Some dogs delight in that and some never do anything wrong. Just like kids.
Hope work is going well for you.

Moon, love the cute video of your grandson. They are so with it in this computer age.

Charleen, how are things in your beck of the woods ?
Your garden should be looking very pretty. I do like your irises.
pats for Charley.

Anthony , are you lost in the lilium vortex yet? I see you waist deep in bulbs down there.
Going to be beautiful in spring.

Colleen, I'm glad the storm didnt come here . Hubby is always worried about lightning , with all his antennas around the place.

Dianne, those were all my favorite books too.
I bought some for my grandkids a few years ago and had to read them first.
Lovely harmless books .

Hello Kat, Karen and anyone else out there.

Hope you are all enjoying good health and your gardens.

Heres something tasty for morning tea. ...Caramel Crunch Cake.

Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 3, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9068498

Good morning everyone. Just a quick cuppa thanks Jean. I must get these boys ready. Only today and a half day tomorrow. Had better go and get some easter eggs ready for easter bunny. Tried to do it yesterday but other things popped up so have to do it today. Must go. Everyone have a wonderful day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 3, 2012
10:45 PM

Post #9069034

A very handsome boy, your Aiden, moon...is the little fellow his brother?
I'm am going to watch out for all these jemes...lol...sounds like they are everywhere and every colour...
Aiden just told me if I didn't get it real good, to go to the website...what a funny kid.

Jean and Colleen, they actually have tours to the places mentioned in the Famous Five books...there is one to Cornwall very soon...based on the places in "Five are Together Again."

I have my Easter Eggs for the kids and mum...I always get the Darryl Lea nougat centre, with the chicken on top from Linda, Ray is having the same this year to stop him eating mine...he likes Rocky Road usually.
Got to go and get a cuppa now...that cake looks nice Jean, but I have lamingtons...yum
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 4, 2012
2:31 AM

Post #9069083

Hubby had a visit from the builders in charge of our earthquake repairs...
wish I had been home for it!
Apparently half the damage the inspector said was earthquake related the EQC guy has tyold Baz is because our house is old & badly maintained!!!
GRRRR
I asked Baz if he recalled the first inspection after the September quake, now they pointed out damage that we didn't even notice & we were sent a cheque to cover the damage.
And the cracks & damage I had seen after February were not there in the first inspection so how could they be existing problems?
the frame of the house has been shaken severely and the foundations have settled slightly in one corner...
not major damage - but there are significant gaps in the coving - up to a centimetre at one end of the hall but nothing at the other end - very obvious quake damage & they were telling Baz that it was just normal wear & tear!!!
I am so angry with the EQC - they took down our chimney & we were supposedly on the urgent list for replacement heating as our pellet burner was our sole heat source.
Months later & we heard nothing, Baz phoned only to be told they had no record of our chimney being pulled down.
So I figured we would be fast tracked for heating... but noooo - not a thing & now after 10 months we have been told it will be at least 6 weeks till they fix the house up & replace the flue so we can use the pellet burner - and it is getting colder by the day.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 4, 2012
3:14 AM

Post #9069097

Ahhh, 'TELSTRA"- arent they lovely? another $308 in internet fees on the mobile,...,I took the battery out of it, last month and have been using the truck phone,..,but frederico from the phillipenes believes i may be accidently accessing it. I can just imagine it,''without myself knowing,i am sneaking away from myself and slipping the battery back in my mobile and using the internet''.Hello!!!!!Frederico doesnt agree that his head is shaped like a penis either!!!!!with a few select 'f's in there, but anyway, this has happened since the new billing system came in,i January [and its not based here in Australia]. The lovely people, still owe us credit from the old system!!!,,.#30 days to shape up, or we ship out to a new ranch[#diots]..Glad you are back Teresa,.hope all the vibrating has eased up a bit there.I know what it was like here, with the 'Rosetta Landslip' problems appeared fropm time to time, council pleaded'what landslip'- and all the old building inspectors who got paid to pass new houses in the 70's ran to hide under the 1st rock.,.,Jean, im not lost, i got my 1st bulb enquiry on saturday,..,i asked them to ring back next month,..I need to 'beef up ' a few containers, as they have to bloom this year!! CMON EASTER -Anthony

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 4, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9069188

Anthony, I had the same problem with my new phone..only because it's a prepaid and not a contract, it was only about $25...suddenly my phone was telling me that I had no money in it...when I checked, the internet had eaten it up, How? I asked Telstra...I have a wireless connection at home and don't use my phone for that purpose...Oh, it must have been accidental...just imagine all the ACCIDENTAL $'s that Telstra must be wracking up with these phones...

Teresa, that is bad luck, I remember you telling us that the chimney was coming down...the world is full of bureaucratic blunders...

Now I'm going to bed...goodnight.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9069256

Dog gone, and I thought I had problems. I sure do hope you get the flu fixed so you can have heat. Horrid to be cold...
Prayers for all to be better on your side of the world.
Clematis is blooming
Third picture is my little Bog in bloom.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9069341

Thanks Dianne...yes, that is little Ethan, almost 3, in the video with Aidan who is 6. I thought it so funny that there were male and female jemes and that the yellow hairballs were good until they mixed with the brown ones...what a delightful little imagination.

Teresa, you can always search back here and get the dates and stuff...even I remember them coming to your home to condemn your chimney...shame on all of them. Getting heat to everyone should be a priority.

Anthony...sounds like it is time for a stern chat with Cocky about his phone/internet usage. What a wise bird that he can actually put the battery back in the phone...hope you get them straight on it all.

Charleen, those are lovely. Love the bog plants. I have a couple clematis blooming also and a red plumbago

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9069445

don't you just love them. I sure do. You have beautiful blooms too!.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 4, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9069966

Good morning everyone.
Another lovely autumn morning. Just a little misty fog which lifted quickly in the sun.
I am hoping to get back to more of the clearing but have been nursing my shoulder for a day or so.

Anthony, I agree with Moon. You must have a long chat with Cocky about his use of your phone.
Dont you just love the way 'frederico' etc can tell you so much from so far away.
I bet Telstra execs dont have any problems with their phones.
Imagine how many people just pay their bills regardless. Hubby checks all our bills to make sure we are not paying extra.
Its so stupid having all these call centres etc based overseas when there is so much unemployment here.
Maybe a lot of our Aussie workforce cause this by being too unionised and wanting too much money for too little productivity..

Moon , love your flowers. I have never seen a red plumbago. I have white & blue which are very pretty.

Charleen, There were hoof prints in the yard this morning. Was Charley here visiting or was it just a stray sheep ?
A long way to travel for Charley to get his cookies...lol

Dianne, I ddi love the books, but going to the places mentioned wouldnt worry me.
I like all those things to stay in my imagination as the reality never is the same.
I find that with movies made from a book. If I have read the book , I have my imaginary vision of things and often find the movie just doesnt match up.
Maybe I'm just odd..

Teresa, Thats so annoying having all the trouble with your home, then some fool telling you its not earthquake damage.
I do hope you get it all sorted. I am crossing fingers for you to get the heating fixed before winter.

Colleen, hope the boys enjoy their Easter and the eggs. I didnt buy us any Easter eggs this year. I am being very good .
( ssshhhhhhh, dont tell anyone, I have my bit of choccy every night .)

chookie if you pop in , I hope you are having a nice time over there.

Karen, how are you coming along now. All well now hopefully.
Your broms are looking lovely.

Louise, if you are looking in, hello to you and Hank.
Pats for the darling girls.

Heres a tasty treat for morning tea...Chocolate and Rum Truffles. .
I think we need a sweet pick-me-up . .

I am off to inspect all the plants and give them growing instructions.
Happy day
Jean. .

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9070008

Good Morning.

Jean, I also have the blue and the white varieties. The Red is Plumbago indica (plumbago rosea)

http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/Plumbago_indica.htm

Hope you all have a lovely day

daylily, irises and asters, and my Sinningia made a comeback

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9070152

Jean, you know Charley is fast. You know we go on these cyber trips and he is pulling the wagon. Remember when we went on the flying carpet???Cocky was with us and a couple of dogs as well...
We had a grand time.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 5, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9071018

Good morning everyone. ..Lovely sunny morning and I am getting out early to finish most of the trimming and clearing before it gets as warm as yesterday.

Moon, I must look for that red plumbago here. The others do very well and require no looking after.
I have the white on the fence with the purple bougainvillea and they do look lovely together.

Charleen, I think Charley must ahve borrowed the carpet to come visit.
I must get it out again for a trip over your way.
Maybe in our winter when we need to get away from the cold.

Hello Karen, Teresa, Dianne, Colleen , Anthony and Chrissy.
Hope Sue is doing okay over in the west.
Louise hope all is well and that you are enjoying some lovely weather.

I'm off outside.
Enjoy your day.
Heres something nice for morning tea. ...Apple & Blueberry Shortcake.
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 5, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9071046

Good morning everyone. I think it's going to be a bit warm today. Lovely for all those going camping. I haven't ever seen that red Plumbago either. I have the white and mauve so a red one would look nice here too. I have some potting to do this morning. The boys are busy sorting their toys and finding things that they had forgotten about. Keeps them amused for a while. The markets are on again Sunday so hope they have some good stalls this time. Next week will be busy getting things ready for their camping trip. Whoo some "me" time. Must put my Winter Hippies into a bigger pot Jean. There's quite a few little ones this year. They are lovely aren't they? My son bought me a Hippeastrum Papillio for Christmas and it is growing nicely. Don't know whether it is big enough to flower this year though. We'll see when the time comes. Well had better go and and get dressed. We're having a lazy day today. Have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 5, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9071077

Good morning everyone. A fine and beautiful Autumn morning here. Just wanted to say hello, and wish you all a safe and happy Easter weekend.

Had the oven fixed yesterday. It's a fairly new stove, and apparently the "bits" hadn't been set right to start with. Then to check on the mice living behind it. I nearly died with shock. They've eaten out the wall behind the stove, and don't actually live there, just come in at night to play. The guy put a metal plate the width of the stove over the area they are getting in, which will only stop them for as long as it takes to make new holes elsewhere.

Did a bus trip out yesterday and a lot of walking round a shopping mall. Felt great for it too. All the winter clothes in the shops, but I didn't get anything. Just enjoyed the outing.

Karen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 5, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9071344

Hot and blustery here, not nice...
The hot cross buns were though...
Ray is coming along slowly and I have given him the last of the injections...now the hard part of exercising the knee comes in.

I am now not allowed to handle any of Ray's medication for his recovery...understandably as you will see.
Yesterday Ray asked for 2 of his tablets and he was talking away while I got them...when I gave them to him, he said that they looked different..so I went to have a look at the bottle and while I was gone, he took them..

When I came back and told him that they were watermelon seeds..you'd think that I had poisoned him.
You see, I have always used the little bottles for seeds, just re label them...I obviously reached up to get the same bottle that his tablets were in, because subconsciously I knew it was up there..

Well, he went on and on, about how I'm getting dopey, which is quite true, but it doesn't affect me, and the funny thing was, that everyone he told thought that it was hilarious...because he took them...no sympathy for him having a careless wife...

I told him he's very lucky that they weren't Brug seeds, though they would be a bit hard to swallow...

So from now on I am free of that task. He does have to take a lot of tablets... Maybe, just maybe...my subconscious told me to do it...lol

Have a good and safe Easter everyone.
Hope the Bunny comes tomorrow.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 5, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9071425

Dianne, that was so funny , but could have been serious. He should have waited while you checked.

I used to give my late Mum her pills and one day thought they looked different so didnt give them to her until I checked with chemist. Sure enough, they had given me someone else's script for pills that could have made Mum really ill or maybe die.

I am so careful with any medication because of that time.

Get him one of those day/ week pill containers. I got one for hubby . Really good as he can put his own pills in and know that they are taken at the right time & day.

Of course, dont use a similar one for your seeds...LOL

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 6, 2012
1:38 AM

Post #9071532

Jean, he has two...but will he use them?..."I can't remember what the pills are" that's his reasoning...

I'm the residents rep on the pharmaceutical commitee at mum's nursing home and the mistakes that are made by the aides who work there and the staff who pack the websters...remarkable...

The storm is over here, very strong winds and torrential rain, not very long though...hope you came thru ok.
The Blues did well, Anthony...
Dianne.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 6, 2012
2:13 AM

Post #9071533

Phew!- weve eaten our 1.4 kg of blue eye[cats included],.,.i am getting around like 'jabba the hut' now,.,Just scraped in Dianne [the blues] What would be good is to absolutely/just beat collingwood next week!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 6, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9072312

Good morning everyone.
The sun is out but its quite cool this morning.
We had awful gusty winds all day yesterday.
About 2.30pm there was a loud thunder rumble, a few splashes of rain then nothing but the wind getting even worse.
I was thinking of my brug buds all being blown away in the wind, but thankfully , this morning they are still hanging on.
The shed wall gave them some protection.
The wind kept up until around 10pm , then stopped. It is lovely and quiet this morning.

Dianne, typical male with his pills. LOL
Hubby has his pill thing but sometimes forgets to fill it then he'll ask did he take his pills ? men !!!!

Anthony, sounds like a great feast you had there. Glad you shared with the cats.

We have some currawongs hanging around here at the moment. We only ever see a few passing through but I love their calls.
Always reminds me of the mountains in Bright, where I had heaps come in for a feed

Better get myself motivated to finish off the cottage garden clearing today. Its a lovely day for it.

Hello Charleen and Moon.
Also Louise ,over there.
Pats for the girls and cookies for Charley

Hello Teresa, Karen and Colleen.
Hope Sue is enjoying her time over in the west.

Enjoy your Easter and dont eat too much chocolate...
Fancy me saying that,,lol

Hers a treat for morning tea...yummy Chocolate Cake
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 6, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9072334

Hi everyone. It is just such perfect weather for Easter here. Morning have a little chill to them, but the days are glorious. The last rush of Autumn flowers before the cold sets in. The birds and bees screeching and humming. Its just got to be the best time of the year.

Dianne, I have trouble with my pills even though I am solely responsible for them. There are just so many, and taken at different times, it addles my brain. Some before eating. Some during a meal. Some after a meal. Testing BG levels, working out insulin doses - going crazy. Life these days revolves around needles and pills. But after such a long battle, it seems we now have sorted out the correct combinations of meds that work for me with the least side effects. I've not been this good in a long time.

Well, I'd better get off this computer and get some work done before Barry arrives. Just going shopping, but will be good to get out of the house for a bit. Might go bird watching tomorrow.

Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9072348

My husband is on insulin, several times a day.
He forgets some of his pills (1) when he gets ready to leave for work. But he will take it when he gets home.
I have to phone a man tomorrow about hay for Charley. Haven't used this hay before, my hay man ran out. I know he has Good hay. Don't know about new feller yet!!!!!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9072377

Good Morning. Hope you are all geared up for the Easter Bunny/Bilby.

It has been a lovely day here...lots of sun and birds and bugs...and happiest of all...BUDS...Spring is rushing headlong into Summer...our temps are going to range between 27C and 31C this week. Afraid that may portend a really hot summer ahead, as we are only 2 weeks into spring.

The hemerocallis' are all covered in buds, the Mock Orange (Philidelphus) is covered in blooms and smells so sweet and the irises are blooming like crazy.
Hope you all have a lovely Holy Saturday

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 6, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9072574

Good morning everyone. We had that awful wind here yesterday too. No rain just dust and wind. Lots of torn brugs here this morning. Never mind some of them have nearly finished anyway. RFP is out in all her glory again this morning and you should see Bucks Fizz. He's only about 2 and a half feet high and about 3 feet wide but he's just covered with flowers. The couch is certainly taking it's time to die down. I think that I will have to hit it again. Doesn't make a really nice pic with couch all around the bush. Never mind, I'm probably not the only one who's been a bit slack with the weeds. I'll get there. Everyone have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 7, 2012
2:48 AM

Post #9072746

Jean, those black callas you gave me, are sprouting[now ive planted them the right way up]...Charlene- hay hay hay hay hay, there'll be food on the table for Charley, tonight .,,,Many weeds 'apulled' in the seedling boxes today and i investigated the seedlings that need a move along or'beef-up', and fed them,..,..,The Nals seed exchange opened today, very much worth a look[div 1 and 6 especially],.,.,very good light rains here[about time]-Anthony
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 7, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9073358

Good morning everyone.
Lovely quiet morning here. No wind . Yesterday was the same. I love days with no wind.

I did quite a bit of the clearing in the cottage garden yesterday, so now all I have to do is move the stuff down the back.
I have been running around this morning with the camera taking pics of my brugs as they decide to open flowers.

Dianne sorry you got even more wind . I hope your brugs survived . I love the pic you put up of the PP fasc. So many flowers.

Anthony, I am sure those callas would have eventually found their way to the surface.
I have to remember that my large pot is filled with them, as for most of the year it looks empty. I need to bring it out from under nthe bench so the rain can get on it . When we get rain that is.

I have buds coming on my zygos already, so hopefully a better year for flowers than last year.
Lots of them will want repotting later, so a good winter job in the greenhouse .

Colleen, your garden must smell heavenly. Looks very pretty.

Hello Moon and Charleen. Sounds like you are getting some nice weather there. Hope none of those tornadoes come near you.

Hello Teresa, Karen and Chrissy.
Don teat too much chocolate today.

I am off to open the greenhouses and check on the rest of the garden.
We had a couple of large b ranches come down on Friday in the wind. They came off the dead alder and luckily missed the side of the house.
At least if any more come down from it , they will fall the other way.

Enjoy your Easter eggs and stay safe.

Heres a tasty nibble for morning tea...Pumpkin Spice Cake..

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 7, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9073583

I'm sooooo good, cleaned and fed the horse, cut the lawns, swept up all the leaves...
Now I can't move, so the bath and some crystals and bubbles are sounding good...

After that, I have my Darryl Lea egg and maybe some of Ray's too if I'm quick...
Then it's couch, here I come...

Hope your hay is ok, Charleen...there are some dodgy growers around...

Jean, that little bunch of mixed Zygo cuttings has flowers on 2 of them...a pretty pale pink...lov 'em.
I've just about given up on expecting it to rain...the forecasts for it are always wrong..

Colleen, your Brugs look lovely...RFP is magnifique.

Karen, hope you got to do your bird watching and had a lovely day.

Mock orange is a great plant Moon...lovely perfume.

Have a great day everyone.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9073652

[quote="chookie2"]Good morning all, Jean lucky for us you round us up at the right time!! LOL
No sun here very overcast but not complaining. I just ordered a load of firewood for my open fire- have decided not to go with putting in gas as it is too exepensive long term with everything rising in cost. My loppings will be more than a years supply for next year when they dry out too.

I am just ordering some Spring plants online. I am looking forward to seeing what happens here in my forst Spring, as I suspect there may be some bulbs I don't know about popping up from previous owners.

I have just scanned this plant for someone to help me identify . Is it a weed or an Euphorbia?

It is in a corner behind the shed and creeping in from the neighbours paddock - slowly so not too vigorous.It looks like it may have been a throw-over-the fence type of garden escapee.( naughty whoever did it). The nearest I can find that looks like it is Euphorbia Wulfenii but haven't seen the flowers yet and the small leaves on top confuse me as Wulfenii doesn't seem to have them. A weed or not? The declared weed Euphorbia sp. is totally different I checked that first! LOL

Dianne those windflowers fit so nicely and your garden is a picture of harmony. Lovely.

. [/quote]
Did you ever find the name
it is Euphorbia lathyris and it's a weed in Australia it can also be found in Noxious weeds of Australia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphorbia_lathyris
http://www.google.com.au/search?http://www.google.com.au/search?q=euphorbia+lathyris&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=681&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=IwqBT5bpNpC8iAfKlrTGBA&sqi=2&ved=0CD4QsAQ

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9074018

A happy Easter to you all...a bit late...

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9074157

Yes, Happy Easter a bit late, except for those here across the big puddle. No, dear Jean, we haven't left yet...have had another bout of punies and we are trying to get things ready to leave in about 10 days. To be honest, I have been very ill this winter following an autoimmune attack on my thyroid that completely crashed. I now have the right meds and am slowly coming back, and they finally ruled out thyroid cancer. The homework from Our painting classes has been a huge diversion from some awful nausea spells and depression. I had no idea that my carpal tunnel was caused by the inflammation associated with it as well. There are so many complications that occur when your brain and body are deprived of all the necessary hormones. I'm just really grateful for finding the right meds finally. My carpal tunnel has all but gone now. I still wear Charleen's bracelets to ward off the evil tunnels The fatigue and "brain fog' and nausea persist, but they will gradually go away too. Hank and I are taking our art supplies to the farm to paint some more of the beauty there. It's lovely to be coming back! Here is one photo I painted of the road over our brook just before our NH driveway: i can now post some photos from my ipad by installing an app called icab. Will be in touch when we land the carpet in NH!

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9074161

And this one is for you, Jean, because you are so faithful with pats for our little puppygirls. This is a painting for my son. It was painted from a photo taken of the girls and my son's dog, Donnie. He is the dog on the right. :)

The second one is our girls at my garden in NH.

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook   Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9074183

Lovely paintings Louise. Happy Easter. Glad to hear they are getting your meds straightened out and you are on the road to recovery. Spring should be in full swing by the time you and Hank get back to NH. Do take care of yourself.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9074264

Thank you, Jeanne. I'm doing just that today. I just keep wanting to get ahead of myself. Have a lovely day.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9074280

It can be hard to rest and recuperate when you know you have so much that needs doing. As the old saying goes, one step at a time, one day at a time.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9074302

Good advice.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 8, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9074480

Good morning everyone.
Light misty showers here yesterday and this morning
Its getting slowly colder now.
I am hoping the brugs open before we get any heavy rain.

Louise, I am so glad you are feeling so much better..
As one who has had a thyroid associated disease problem since my twenties, I can understand how you feel.
It is no fun to be feeling off for so long.
I am glad your new medication has helped.
I love your paintings . You are so talented.
The girls look as if they are just so good and would never get into any mischief.
Have a safe trip back to NH and I hope to see you here with pics of the garden there.

Moon, hope all is well with you .
You should be enjoying some lovely weather too.

Charleen, I hope you are safe from any of those awful tornadoes.
Cookies in the kitchen for Charley and little Kaitlin.

Hello Dianne, Are you getting rained on ?

Colleen, how are things over your way ? I hope you enjoyed a nice time over the weekend.

Teresa, Karen and Chrissy. Hope all is well with you all.

Anthony, I can hear you thinking about even more bulbs. Lots of time during the winter to think about what you must have..lol

I am going top pot a few little plants in the greenhouse today. Its a nice warm place to work in.
I have seeds to plant as well..
Buds are coming on my zygos so I am hoping for many flowers unlike last year.

I will see what I have in the kitchen for morning tea.
Try these ...Chocolate Peanut Squares.

Enjoy the rest of the very long weekend.
Happy day..
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 8, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9074619

Cold and wet here...Jean, sorry, i didnt realise i was thinking so loudly..{scheming}but all my dominos arent falling correctly yet,..,Anthony
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 8, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9074663

We have been enjoying a lovely spell of weather over Easter.
Friday & Saturday I had Sugar entered at dog shows, nice drive to the country & a chance to catch up with people I haven't seen much of in years.
Friday was a long day - a mix up on the reporting sheet had us on at 8am...
however on the other side of the sheet it showed us as following the terrier group.
And so we arrived at 8am & didn't get away till nearly 6pm!
Sugar came in the first 4 of her heat in puppy stakes so we had to wait for the final - she was just not in the mood by then & once we got her home & fed she crashed out.
Next day was 8am start & we were on early and group was done by lunch time, Sugar actually ran nicely & thanks to some handling lessons from a friend she stood really well.
Was good to have an early finish as we had plans over at the hangar - a friend with another model of Auster had it being painted in Blenheim & brought it home to live with ours for the time being.
So we had a little welcoming/hangar warming party which was a lot of fun.

My brother & his family came over to meet Sugar yesterday & we had a few nibbles & wine (not me - I drank more than enough the night before)
it was my Sister-in-law's birthday & for once I had present & card organised on time!
Now I just have to remember to get my nephew his gift in time - 22 April, he is 14 - I can always remember as Liz was pregnant with Anthony same time as Chita was expecting her puppies...
so my dog & nephew are the same age!

aussie_flower
Vic
Australia

April 8, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9074747

Hi :)
It a cold day today, brrrr
Lit the wood fire.
Have heaps of chrysanthemums in bud ready to flower for motherís day YAY
I had added a few new colours to my collection last year and cant wait to show everyone what the flower look like.
Poop that the aphids are everywhere.
Luckily they are easily sprayed off with some dishwashing liquid and water solution.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9074750

We are o.k. here but there was a lot of damage in Texas. We got a couple of sprinkles...
Love the painted pictures. So glad you are still wearing the bracelets. Let me know if you need another Louise...
Charley and Little Kaitlin are fine. We let the longears eat grass in the dog pen the other day. they did a good job mowing for me.
You all Take care and have a great Monday...
Hugs and nuzzles...
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

April 9, 2012
12:36 AM

Post #9074953

Hi everyone, I hope you all had a lovely safe Easter. I am still in Perth. Have 'done' some nurseries with my daughter and she now has a nice patio of plants plus a veggie patch and her front yard looks like someone cares now. She is still not well but can water a bit and has found a new interest which is great for her. I will stay another week here in perth,and maybe get her to join us here if she will when I go home.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 9, 2012
1:35 AM

Post #9074960

Aussie- f, I add veg oil to my aphid spray as well, do you?Dianne, 8 outta 9, probably the 1st time ive ever tipped the hwks-maybe the last.How thrilled is sth tas now to have nth melbourne playing here [hmmm not very],.it would be great if they played against a decent team,.Its like the cricket, we get 2 migrant games here, then one with aus in it[you beauty] each summer,..,Then, our premier [who has the figure of one of those 'russian dolls' [that stack inside each other],says, to support it or lose it.,.,.Anyway its still bitterly cold here and the cold rainstorms are mean, but they cant get me, inside the house, near the fire-Anthony

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 9, 2012
3:07 AM

Post #9074983

It was a thriller though, Anthony...I must admit I thought that the Cats might get beaten...I knew that we would beat the Hawks, later in the year...when it counts...lol...What are you scheming?
I sympathise with you re the games that you are given...how do they build a following?
Freezing here too.
Hi Chookie, glad that you are enjoying your stay with your daughter and encouraging her to take up gardening.
Aussie, we look forward to your Chrysanth pics...
Teresa, sounds as though Sugar is getting the hang of the show ring...
Yes Jean, I'm getting hail and very strong winds, been like it all day.
Hi moon and Charleen, keep safe...
Louise, so sorry to hear about your health not being so good...my daughter has a troublesome thyroid, though obviously not as bad as yours was...really lovely paintings, especially the little roadway.
It reminded me of one of my favourite walks...it's called McDonald st...it's beautiful as I imagine your road is.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 9, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9075997

Good morning everyone.
Its freezing here this morning. I think we may have slipped ahead into winter. Hubby says a bit warmer later in the week.

I have just been out to check on my brug buds . I thought I may lose them in yesterdays wind but they are hanging on.

No hail here Dianne, just the wind and lots of very light showers. . Have a look at my pic of OE on the brug thread,
She has dropped her second skirt.

Anthony, I see there was a bit of snow forecast here for the mountains , so you must be close to getting some down there. Stay near that fire.

Sue, glad you are enjoying Perth. Yes, I remember doing lots of nurseries there when I lived in WA.
There are some very large ones.
There is a very large one which has a coffee shop. Great to browse, sit with a nice cuppa , then do more browsing.

Colleen, are you getting the winter weather too ?

Teresa, so nice to see Sugar getting her professional show feet. You will be getting plenty of cold weather too , I expect..

Hello Aussie. You will have a lovely show of chrysanthemums by the sound of it.
I gave up mine with the dahlias. Way too much wind here for the poor things.

Charleen, I may have to move into your yard for the rest of the autumn/ winter...lol
Charley might share his house with me.

Moon glad you and Charleen are out of harms way with thos etornadoes.

Louise, I think you are a very talented lady. Do you sell your paintings ?
You should as they are so lovely.
Hope you and Hank are getting lovely weather and have a safe trip back to NH..

I am going to go sit near the heater . I will not be doing anything outside until I see some sun.
Even in the greenhouse it will be cold this morning.

Enjoy this ...Apple Cake. ( warm of course, in this weather)
keep safe
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 9, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9076040

I saw it, Jean...wow.,,,the promise of things to come...

Back later.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 9, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9076086

Good morning everyone. Yes Jean, the weather has turned quite nippy here. The sun is still shining though. I have the AC on this morning to chase the chill out. The boys are having a sleep in this morning so it's nice and peaceful here at the moment. The boys and I have been very busy going through all their toys and books and sorting out what they don't use any more. The broken or torn ones have gone in the bin and the rest will be passed on to someone. I'll go through their clothes while they are away. They have grown so fast. Not much gardening getting done but I still have been finding time to wander around and see what's flowering. I don't think John will be here til next Sunday now to pick the boys up for camping. He has arranged to go for a few days of the following week, as a couple of his friends have taken time off and will be there too. It's like a big family camp with plenty of kids and motorbikes and so it's great for the boys. Great to see you back Louise. I'm glad that you have the right meds now. I know just how you've been feeling. I had an over-active one years ago and I had lost 12kg and didn't even realise. My brain was going a 100MPH and I didn't care about anything. It wasn't until I couldn't write because of the shaking, that I decided to go and get it checked. The symptoms were fairly classic so wasn't long before I was back on track thank goodness. Must go and get some things done. Have a great day everyone. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9076218

I know you will All think I'm nuts, but your cool temps and that warm apple cake are sounding very good to me. We have had two lovely days, but the above average record warm temps are ot my cuppa tea, to use Tea Room speak. :)

Wow, so many of us with thyroid issues...it does give me hope that life will soon normalize. I hope, Jean, that you have been under control with meds for many years? No, my paintings are not "sellable" since I am just a beginner at this point.. You are too kind to even suggest it! I will take a look at the brug thread to see your OA blooms. My brug is suffering from being in an area where it got very little water this winter.

Colleen, I can't imagine how scary the hyper symptoms must have been! I will keep an eye on those symptoms you mentioned as they raise my med levels slowly to make sure I don't slip into hyper mode. The nausea is still giving me fits, but that will decrease at some point.

Dianne, that road shot is so lovely. Did you post it at some point earlier? It was that one or another like it that made me want to photograph and paint the one I did. I love the "tunnel" look of the trees. I am looking forward to doing some other road scenes this summer.

Hello, dear Charleen - how sweet of you to offer another bracelet...I just love mine and they are quite the treasures for sure. I need nothing more at the moment, thank you! So happy to hear that you haven't been hit by the terrible weather. So scary these days. Give Charlie a nuzzle for me!

Hello to Jeanne, Teresa, Anthony, Chookie, Aussie And anyone else I may have missed. Here are some Florida garden blooms for you now that I can post pics from my ipad. Take care, all!
Louise

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook   Thumbnail by DonnieBrook   Thumbnail by DonnieBrook   Thumbnail by DonnieBrook   Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 9, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9076410

Your garden looks beautiful , Louise.
Another lovely painting too.

I think thyroid problems are far more widespread than people realise.
I spent years being put off as having nothing really wrong, by doctors, even specialists .
It only took one very good dignostician to go over the years of records to tell me exactly what was wrong.
My disease causes the blood pressure to go up or down when ever it feels the inclination.
I take medication and have had radioactive therapy , so am now in control.
I am so used to living with a permanent menopause that I just never noticed when the real thing came on and then left.
It can be disconcerting to be still having the menopausal symptoms at my age , but I am used to it after all this time.

My daughter was having a few medical problems so I told her to get the doc to check her thyroid. Sure enough, there was a problem.

My mum had a large goitre removed from her throat in her thirties and I had one appear from my early teens . The unsightly swelling went down and eased into the disease I now have.

We all have some problems but there is always someone so much worse off, we should not complain too much.

Just watched the tsunami recovery in Japan yesterday and we think we have problems. ..
Those people are so resilient in the face of so much devastation.
It makes me ashamed to even think I have much of a problem.
I am alive and can enjoy my garden and chat to friends.

Better move off the computer and do something productive outside. Not so cold now and no rain.

canna 'America'
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 9, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9076523

Yes, Louise, it's the same one...just after I took that pic, it was under threat by developers and the locals got together and wrote letters of protest and the council backed them, but not until half of that lovely sandy road's verge on either side had been ripped out, not the part that I photographed thank goodness...the damaged area has been replanted, but not with Moonahs, which are the trees in the pic that form that marvellous tunnel...

The sand on the road is so soft, we always walked that way barefoot...Unfortunately there is a sand mine close by and that's why the developers bulldosed the verge, to widen the road for their trucks..
Completely illegal of course, but what's a slap on the wrist to a big company..

it pleases me no end to find out that McDonald st. inspired you to paint your lovely road...it's a magical place and the sunlight never quite penetrates the trees, so you expect something around every curve when you get further in...I am always expecting a Unicorn...and in that half light one day I just might find one.
The flowers on the vase are terrific too..

Jean, your cannas sure do like their swimming pool, going by the flowers...mine haven't got a swimming pool
and now they are eyeing off Matilda's wader..lol
That Canna is beautiful.

Colleen,it's a good thing that you got your problem under control when you did...imagine trying to care for the boys.
Frosty Pink is a picture isn't it.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 9, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9076544

Dianne, kids blue paddle pool , usually shell shape in 2 halves $ 20 in local toy store.
I need another as I only bought the one half. Somehow I seem to have more cannas than fit in one..
I wonder how that happened...lol

Wish I had your pretty walking place. Its all up & down hills here so no walking gets done. We used to go out to a bush area but petrol prices have stopped that now.
I make do with around & around the garden and shopping days of course.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 9, 2012
10:53 PM

Post #9076556

Prepare yourself, Jean...Matilda's half shell was $15 from Bunnings...now they only sell them in halves..
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 9, 2012
11:37 PM

Post #9076569

Waaahhhhhhh...

everything goes up when I want it...b******..

I dont need it until next summer as I take them all out of the pool soon, for winter.
I'll check if the toy store still has them.

You will have to tell Matilda, she doesnt need hers ...lol

Jean

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 10, 2012
2:55 AM

Post #9076589

Jean - see if you can get the pool during winter, might be cheaper...
we had one for my baby brother - half filled with sand & the other half acted as a lid at night to keep the cats out.
My S-I-L, M-I-L & me all have underactive thyroid & are on the same medication, just varying doses.
Mum Tod makes sure to have brazil nuts, walnuts & almonds every day as they are a natural way to boost thyroid performance.
My Mum had all the symptoms but after being tested as normal & ignored she finally had a locum Dr who took her seriously & sent her for extra blood tests, turns out not thyroid but Vitamin D deficiency.
We were astonished as Mum gardens, walks & is out doors plenty.
But apparently your ability to make Vitamin D from sunshine diminishes with age & in some people can cause all the same problems as low thyroid.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 10, 2012
3:45 AM

Post #9076603

Hi everyone. Well so much for feeling good. Had another heart attack on Saturday night plus an arrhythmia that was more of a battle to bring under control. Home again this evening but very very tired. I may not be too active until I get more strength back, but just letting you know I'm still in the background.

Karen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 10, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9076624

Some more hugs coming your way Karen. xxxxooooooxxxxx Colleen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9076768

Bless your heart, Karen. Take care. .Hugs from me and Charley too...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9076825

My goodness Karen. Glad you are alright and back home. take it easy...lots of good thoughts going your way.

As you all start to chill, we are starting to sweat...we are running about 10 degrees above norm for this time of year and have had the warmest winter on record...doesn't look good for summer as they are predicting many days at or above 37C but are also predicting more rain for us this summer. Guess we will come to know how the yabbies feel when they hit the cook pot.

Hope you all have a lovely day,

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9077163

Oh Dear, Karen! You take good care of yourself and get plenty of rest!

Jean - wow...that's quite a long time to have patience and acceptance. Amazing how often thyroid issues are overlooked, Teresa. It is good to know that so many have dealt with it all so well. I am so excited just to know what the problem is! Too many doctors miss the diagnosis and people like my Mom have had to go through horrible things as a result. 20 years ago my Mom had the same condition I have, and she had a crisis that required brain shock treatments to recover. She was never really the same after. I am one of the lucky ones, in my opinion.

Dianne - what an interesting story about the tunnel road. I know just what you mean about expecting to see any and everything around the next bend in the road. I have come around the curve to find an enormous moose in the road, as well as a large black bear sitting in a fern bed. Another time on Halloween, with a dense fog at night, we came upon another moose dallying along in the road, and we followed him very slowly for miles to get to our farm. He would turn around and look at us and then continue on in the middle of the road taking his own good time at the very same spot in my painting.

Jean, I love that bright canna! So, you really do grow them in a kiddy pool?

Karen - these shots are for you...feel better soon!

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook   Thumbnail by DonnieBrook   Thumbnail by DonnieBrook   Thumbnail by DonnieBrook   Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9077168

Oooh, Charleen, I almost forgot to tell you how shocked I am to see all those gorgeous blooms already! That purple blue iris is stunning, as are the columbine and clems. Is this really early or on time for you?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 10, 2012

Post #9077394

Good morning everyone. Fine but chilly here this morning. It should be a nice day as yesterday . I am slowly moving all the stuff I cut back in the cottage garden.
I just drag it all down the back and pile it along under the gum trees. It eventually rots down.
I have a couple of buddleas that I will plant in the garden later. There are already a white, pink , a dark purple red & light purple, so a hot pink & another white will go in. . The whole area there gets covered in butterflies during spring / early summer. Lots of the Monarchs & others.
I am always getting them out of the greenhouse when they fly in then cant find the way out.
Easy to catch and will often sit on your hand for a few seconds before flying off.

Karen, you take things very quietly there. Lots of good wishes and hugs from us all.

Teresa, Glad your family are coping with their thyroid problems now. Its an insidious thing and so many people years ago were just patted on the hand and told to go home, there was nothing really wrong.
I had the chief specialist of a large city hospital treat me like I was some old & senile person with hypochondria.
I felt awful and was very lucky my local doctor persevered and got me proper treatment.
Luckily medication worked and I have no need to take the huge doses I had at first. ..

It is something more people need to be aware of and seems mainly to affect women, but I did have a friend with a husband who was getting very sick. After seeing his symptoms so like my own, I advised her to get her doctor to check on his thyroid and sure enough, that was the problem.

Colleen, I hope you have some lovely weather for getting around your garden while the boys go camping.

Moon , I could send you some chilly days, but I'm sure you get enough in your Fall. . I hope you dont get temps too high as your summer still has to arrive.

Charleen, your garden must be looking really bright . Such lovely pics.
Pats for Charley. No cookies, I think he.s getting fat...lol

Louise, nearly moving time. You will be anxious to see how your other garden has done over the winter.
Hugs for the girls. They will love getting back to all the new smells around the garden.

Dianne, lots of nerines coming out here now. I am always amazed at how they come out in order. The white never come out early . I see the pink starting but the red/orange are the early ones. .
I am watching the brugs carefully. One poor bud has been bruised by the wind banging it against the shed wall.

Hello to anyone else looking in .

I will leave something tasty out for morning tea...Plaited Fruit Loaf.

Happy gardening
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9077437

Jean, i would love to see your buddleias in bloom in all of those beautiful colors. I have several colors, but not the hot pink. Last year I added a bicolor with dark purple and bright orange on the same stem. Do you have any of the new dwarf varieties? I would like to explore those, as I love the butterfly presence, but the full-size plants take so much of my garden space.

Yes, our girls will love the freedom they have at the farm. They don't get to run full steam around a large space down here.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 10, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9077454

Morning all.

Mild here, hope it stays that way...I can see the flowers on the Brugs in one piece instead of shredded...
They are amazing though they recover so quickly and the Aureas have discarded their damaged ones already.
Watched the cricket this morning from 4, the game is getting very interesting...Ray couldn't sleep so he turned on the tv, then I had to watch..

We decided to start going to our former garden club again, last week we were invited to a 30th birthday celebration of the St Leonards Garden club...we had such a pleasant day, that I decided to join up again..
it's been 10 yrs since we left our house opposite the beach, I would love to be still living there, but that extra 20 min journey, I can do without.

We had videos of past celebrations and sad to say that so many members have passed away...
Time is very fleeting my friends, so do whatever it is that you want before you can't.

Pics are all lovely,
Louise, your road has indeed been magical...is that a Coleus? It's the biggest I've ever seen if it is?
Enjoy your Nerines, Jean...they are pretty ladies.
Back later
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9077680

Beautiful brug shot, Dianne. I love that shade of pink. Yes, it is coleus "Fancy Rose". I brought it down from New Hampshire. It loves the spot it is in because it got just enough sun to become huge. I will have to give it to a neighbor because it is too large to take with me. I did take some cuttings though.

Good advice about finding what you love while you can! I have just the life I want, thankfully, and I fully concur with your thought.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 10, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9077801

Thank you all for the well wishes and pics, Louise. What a magnificent coleus that is. I am feeling really well, just unbelievably tired. Don't recall that happening with the previous attacks. I am probably self focused at the moment too, so please forgive my lack of chatter for now. I'll catch up soon, I'm sure.

Have a great day, and be well, all of you.

Karen
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

April 10, 2012
10:48 PM

Post #9077886

Hello all.. belated Easter Greetings. We have been in Caloundra where the weather was perfect so it is amazing how much cooler it is today. Yesterday, the wind came up and was howling from about lunchtime. Hubby could have gone very fast in his little cat but they all deserted the water as it was not safe. One of his sailing mates rescued a father and son who were swimming back from Bribie Is..it's about a km, varying on where you are. Seems a group of four hired two kayaks and went over, then two took off in the kayaks and told the father and son to swim. Amazes me that the father would even try. The little fellow was struggling when he was pulled out and they'd made it a third of the way. It can be a marathon kayaking back when the wind and tide are against you, but swimming? That end of Bribie is totally uninhabited but there is no way I would attempt to swim it..I'd just stay there till someone came by..luckily, it turned out well.

I had fun playing with the big Canon and macro lens..went to Buderim gardens and thought of Marleneann. Hope she and Fred are well. We found this awesome place with an enormous boardwalk through the rainforest but as I took the photos in Raw, I have to upload and downsize them.

I didn't bring a single plant back from Caloundra. Probably a first!!!

Sorry to hear not all have been well. Speedy recovery, Karen!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 11, 2012
1:14 AM

Post #9077967

{{{hugs}}} Karen, take care of yourself & hope you are feeling better soon!

NZ set a pretty amazing record over Easter Weekend - no road deaths!
First time since records begun.
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

April 11, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9078077

Hi evEryone, hope you feel better soon Karen. I am still in Perth until next week.hospital visits with my daughter all week. I am getting to see over some local fences while I wait for her ! Lol
she is another with diagnosed thyroid plus so many other problems it's hard to believe. They have her on 17 meds a day now...all from someone running into the back of her car a year ago.
I am only online occasionally while I am here but will catch up when I return home next week. It is looking like I may return in June for a few months if she doesn't improve soon. She began a course of chemo drugs this week, her immune system is already compromised so it,s a worry.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 11, 2012

Post #9078837

Good morning everyone.
Its very nippy here this morning. Almost a frost. Brrrrrrrrrr..

I will have to put out something yummy for morning tea and run off because hubby has an early doctors appointment before we get to shopping.

I hope everyone is feeling well and enjoying some lovely weather.

Karen, take care of yourself.

I will see you all alter.
Enjoy this delicious indulgence...Rich Chocolate cake.

Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9078862

Good Morning to you all.

Have a good shopping day Jean...hope it warms up for you.

Karen hope you are feeling stronger today.

Louise, hope your meds are settling better with you. Such a miserable feeling.

Chookie, good thoughts to your daughter.

Pretty brug Dianne, so girlie and pink.

Kat, how scared that young fellow must have been. What a foolish thing to do. Not a single plant yelled your name? Must be winter coming...grin

My goodness Teresa. What a happy but strange record to break. I am sure everyone was pleased with that.

Have I missed Marleenanne posting? Hope you and Hubby are well.

Seems I have missed Chrissy also. Waving over the pond to you.

Coleen, know the boys are looking forward to their camping trip...and I am sure you'll be happy for the quiet time.

Anthony, You and Cocky stay warm...understand you are getting some pretty chilly weather.

Hope your day is happy

Moon
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 11, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9078926

Good morning everyone. Karen Hope you're feeling better now. Moon the boys don't talk about too much else at the moment than the camping trip. Motorbikes... Jean enjoy your shopping trip. It has come in pretty cool over here too but the sun is shining and there's no wind so it's not too bad. Real Autumn. Lovely smells in my garden with all the brugs flowering. Quite exciting really. The couch is slowly dying so will be able to clear that part of the garden soon. The bulbs are sticking their heads up everywhere. I have a couple of pots of Bluebells so I think I will put them into the ground too now that i have the watering system. I'm sure that I made the right decision there instead of getting a new bathroom. Much more benificial for me I think. The boys are having a good sleep in today. Lovely and quiet. ahhhh. Everyone have a lovely day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 11, 2012
11:19 PM

Post #9079198

I'm back from shopping and we had a beautiful warm sunny day after the cold start.
Had to buy a new TV so I am going in to play with it.
Cant let hubby start or he will plug the wrong thing in somewhere. He has no patience with new things.

Our old TV just gave up this morning. It was 14 years old which I suppose is old for a TV today.
We now have a lovely HD one so Austar will send me a new box.
I love it already. So much different to the old one.

Have done nothing in the garden abd will get out tomorrow to check on things.
Keep those fingers crossed Dianne. The brugs are not out yet. Another warm day should see them opening.

Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 12, 2012
1:29 AM

Post #9079212

Jean - you are going to love documentaries in HD...
everything else is good but close ups on plants & animals are just breath taking.

Nice sunny day here - cold but it's that time of year.

Sugar is getting better on walks, not a big puller anyway & responding fast to positive reinforcement on her being in the correct position.

Bit dark by the time we get home but I need to get in the habit of daily walks to keep us both fit.
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

April 12, 2012
1:51 AM

Post #9079216

Did you have the digital programs on the old tv, Jean? There are really great programs on 7Mate and One etc..Mighty Movers, Big Bigger Biggest etc..

It was a strange day weather-wise. It kept clouding over but there was no rain to speak of. The cooler change ( 15 to 25...don't laugh!) has reached here but I'm still in sleeveless tops, so our cool is nothing like yours down south. but it is enough to make the locals start their indoor fires..The air is so nice and crisp..all that humidity has gone. I pruned the climbing wisteria as it had taken over and it hurt cutting off all those buds..I'm sure there are still plenty for Spring but it had almost obscured the sun.

The gingers and heliconias are quite tall now and some are flowering .I went to the Buderim Ginger Factory at Yandina on Tuesday..just a flying visit as I'd gone up, while we were at Caloundra, to get the name of a man who breeds fancy bantam chickens, from the Yandina Produce Agency as some of our girls are now 7 and 8. There is also a big Subaru used spare parts place there. Any Brisbane dealer would just contact them for parts so I went to the source. The Ginger Factory had lots of empty garden space. They must have cleared out a lot of the plants. The Ginger Festival is always in February so I am sure the gardens will be spectacular again then. I have more gingers flowering here, but I don't cut them down as soon as they flower. I leave them as I think the stalk is best left on the plant..same with the bananas, which are close relatives.

Bin day here.. I collected bins as the truck went on and over-the-road neighbour was about to climb up from the lower footpath with a collection of big boxes and junk..straight to our emptied bin..saw me and headed down the road to someone else's. Two weeks till recycling bins are emptied. I've learnt from experience and usually grab the bins from the rubbishman now.

Karen, I hope the cooler weather is helping you recuperate faster.

Chookie, I hope your daughter's health improves quickly. It often seems that when something goes wrong healthwise, or an accident occurs, other health problems tag along as your system is compromised, shocked / overloaded or immune system upset. I wish her well..it's a hard slog getting on top of these things.

Stay warm down south..and enjoy your Spring gardens, those of you who live over the pond. Cheers all.

This message was edited Apr 12, 2012 4:53 AM
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

April 12, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9079468

Hi everyone, smiles and thanks for the kind thoughts.
Today Cathy, my granddaughter Sarah, and I went to a pot sale. Picked up some succulents and a few nice pots for her patio. cathy has decided she wants a succulent low maintenance verge (currently bare gravel). So we are going to hunt up some plants and rocks over the weekend at a couple of markets and through gum tree.
agaves and cordylines will be the backbone and we will go from there with whatever we can find.
We found some great gardening books at a local op shop for her too...great stuff..

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9079950

Karen, good to hear from you, and I hope your stamina returns very soon.

Chookie, sorry to hear your daughter is going through such a hard time. I hope she turns the corner very soon. Lovely she has you with her!

It's been a nice day here. We're less than a week to take-off!

Hello, Jean, Moon, Colleen, Anthony, Dianne, Chrissy, Teresa, Charleen and Kat. Enjoy your new tv, Jean! Wishing all a good day!
Louise

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 12, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9080010

Good morning everyone. Just nipped in to put the kettle on Jean. Lots of packing going on here. Have to get the camping box of eating utensils out today and make sure everything is in there. I always keep a plastic tub with plates and cups and bowls and cutlery in it. That way they don't get lost when the boys go camping. I usually have a couple of tea towels, and dish cloth and detergent in there too. Have to get the sleeping bags out today and make sure everything is okay. I think it will be a bit cool but they have a good tent so they should be okay. Last time when they went camping they got a hail storm just as they were putting the tent up. The boys said they hurt and were freezing as they hadn't even started the fire at that stage. Hope they don't find any snakes this time. John and Cameren were riding on the kids motor bike track and one went across in front of John and just disappeared. You wouldn't think that they would come around with all that noise but I suppose it wanted to get somewhere and that was the way to go. Karen i hope you are feeling a lot better now. Everyone have a great day. The last pic I put up was our baking efforts for the boys to take camping. Colleen

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9080015

Wow Colleen...I thought might be for a bake sale at school...they won't go hungry for certain Grin. I know they must be over the moon with excitement.Send large plastic garbage bags with them...if it turns off cold or rains they can poke holes for their heads and arms and stay warm in their sleeping bags.If not...good storage for dirty clothes and towels.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 12, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9080045

Good morning everyone. Its nippy again here but the day will be lovely and warm as was yesterday.
I am hoping it stays this way for a few more days , at least until my brug flowers open .
After that I want and inch or two of rain.

Hello Louise. Thats a tall handsome man beside you there...lol
The girls are so cute.
Have a safe trip .

Moon, good tips on the garbage bags. Where would we be without our plastic bags ???
Makes me laugh , how all the supermarkets are phasing them out and we are told we should be using cloth bags.
Thats all very well, but we still need plastic bags around the home.
Besides the same supermarkets sell all the rubbish, freezer and other plastic bags.
A bit of recycling info gone mad again..

Charleen, are you feeding Charley ?
I found a lot of crumbs around the kitchen door this morning.
I think hes been helping himself when I'm not here ..lol

Colleen, will there be room in the vehicle for the camping gear with all that lovely food going as well ?
Enjoy your time alone to get out in the garden and laze in the sun.

Teresa, the new TV is great. Hubby cant get over the clearness and detail. I cant wait to see all the docos in HD.
Austar are sending me the new box and I will be able to enjoy all the old shows again.
I have Avatar recorded so will be watching that again to get the full effect.
I will be waiting for Transformers to come on as I want to see that too.
Glad to see Sugar is maturing nicely.

Hello Kat. Sounds like you need a large bikie mob to move in to your street to control the neighbors.
Fancy being cheeky enough to use someone elses bin.

Sue, hope all is coming along much better with your daughter.
The gardening project will give her some incentive to be out and about when she can.
I can hear the weeds growing in your garden here..lol

Dianne, hope the sun is shining nicely for you too.

Karen, keep resting and do things slowly. Pop in for a cuppa when you feel up to it.

Anthony. I thought I saw your head among all those plants.
You will need a GPS to find your way if you get lost among dahlias etc.

I am off out to enjoy the sun. Its still a bit nippy but one soon gets warm in the sun.
I found no plants yesterday but we are going to Mt Gambier next week so I will surely find something there,.

Enjoy your day and also this yummy ...Chocolate Cake.
Happy day.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 12, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9080072

Morning all
Colleen, I could almost taste your famous sausage rolls, they look great...enjoy your free time.
Great photo Louise, safe trip home...looking forward to NH pics when you can...
Good idea, re the garbage bags, moon...at lots of the country footy matches, they are a fashion statement.

The clarity on the animal docos made in HD is terrific, Jean you will really appreciate it.
Sue, it sounds as though you, Cathy and Sarah, are really getting into that garden, it will be a picture in no time.
Another quake in CC, Teresa...no damage was reported here...it was a big one too.
Karen, hope you are feeling a lot better now...
Kat, your garden would be very pretty with all the gingers in flower.
Anthony, what are you up to?
Have you been sabotaging the Magpie players in some way?
Dianne
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

April 13, 2012
2:35 AM

Post #9080528

Thanks all, yes Cathy is getting very interested which is great as she has been depressed for a while with no energy from all the meds too. The new chemo drugs are making her nauseous but bearable so far. Hopefully no worse now, she only takes them twice a week, they are to combat the immune system shutdown and allergies not for cancer thank god!
Jean you are right my garden will be a weed bed when I get home. The tomatoes and pumpkins were just coloring when I left so probably lost most. Hope my pots are surviving ok. I'll be home next Wednesday so will know the garden-worst by then.
Dianne the weeds are up here with the first watering ,so will mulch heavily at the weekend, yes Cathy is taking a keen interest and now planning the verge design and plantings.
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

April 13, 2012
2:54 AM

Post #9080533

Today we found a backyard plant seller with lots of broms and ferns,succulents,cannas etc for only 3,.50 each so lots to do before I go home.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2012 1:57 AM

This message was edited Apr 13, 2012 1:59 AM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9080720

Nope, Ain't feeding Charley, he does pretty good by himself. ☺
Bright and cool here this morning. Got some pictures of longears doing what they like best "eating"
The girls walked to the gate for a pet. Sometimes Charley will look up and walk to the gate but today he just kept eating.
I have my first Brug bloom.
I loved the Family Picture. Louise. You all be careful and have a safe trip...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9080844

Too cool Charleen...my first of the season brug also bloomed yesterday..a noid white that is in the ground here...freezes back every year, but comes back and blooms like crazy.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9080866

All Right!!!! We are cooking with the brugs...Still have a lot to get out. Do you grow plumerias too??? I have a question if you do. I sure don't know about them.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9080890

I have grown them Charleen...lost them in a freeze a few years back...heat failure in the greenhouse.sniff

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9081037

I can send you a stick if you want, just let me know...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9081170

That is too kind of you. Let me make sure I am going to have a greenhouse for next year...mine is ancient and in need of repair. DH keeps saying we need to rebuild/replace it...just never when that will happen.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 13, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9081355

Good morning everyone .. I am late but I have a good excuse. My new brug has opened.. Shes a double.
I have been taking pics of her to post on the brug thread.

Its another nippy morning but the sun is out and will soon get quite warm . Yesterday was lovely and Ii manged to finally get the last of the stuff cleared from the cottage garden.
Not a lot more to do around the garden now . Just a bit of trimming along the paths then the rose pruning later in the year.

Charleen & Moon, beautiful brugs. You will be looking forward to all your brugs flowering while ours are thinking of hibernation.
Cookies and a pat for Charley.

Sue , so glad things are going well over there. Nothing like gardening to get interest back in a persons life.

Dianne, go look at the new girl on the brug thread. Such a pretty lady.

Hello to everyone else. I am off to admire my girl again.

Heres a lovely treat so you can all help me celebrate.. Chocolate Cake.

Happy day.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 13, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9081391

A very big congrats to you and Senorita Rosado, Jean...what a pretty thing.

Hi Charleen and moon, everything is happening in your gardens now...isn't Jean's baby beautiful...
I have absolutely no luck with Frangis, I bought a new one every year for years and finally gave up, when I saw one growing in a local front yard, that in no way you could call a garden, total neglect and at least
8 ft high and full of flowers...I could have had a holiday on what I had paid over the years.

Congrats Anthony, whatever you did worked...a terrific victory...go Blues...
We are the navy blues, we are the old dark navy blues...I'm singing it for you Anthony, can't you hear the dogs howling...lol

Back later.
Dianne.

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 10:07 AM

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 6:32 PM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9081415

Had to laugh...my son in law Peter is a Blues fan...a small lonely blue spot in a Maroon sea in Brisbane...grin.

Lovely Brug Jean...I see why you are so tickled.

Dianne, my daughter has 3 frangis in her yard...she does nothing to them and they bloom like crazy...makes me so envious...grin
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 13, 2012
11:21 PM

Post #9081765

My birthday gift to hubby was a flight on the Southern DC3, ZK AMY is really a Dakota, first flew with RAAF & dropped Aussie para troops during the Battle of the Phillipines.
It was an eye opener to fly over ChCh city & see just how many vacant sites there are now - and piles of rubble & buildings partially demolished.
An extra thrill during the flight was the appearance of a Mustang - the pilot flew by us too fast for photos unfortunately.
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

April 14, 2012
12:12 AM

Post #9081770

Hi everyone .Moon, your daughter is in Brisbane, isn't she? What suburb? Here, you just stick a broken bit of frangipani in the ground and it takes off..I know, we are spoilt and probably take them for granted...but they and the Cecile Brunner rose and the Honeysuckle (Lonicera) are my favourite scented flowers.Hibiscus grow easily too...but, there are heaps of things that won't grow here. In fact, I think we can grow nearly all of the tropicals..they just might not get quite as big as they do further north..

Days are getting shorter and I really notice the difference. I would go (even more) stir crazy if shorter, darker days lasted too long. Obviously I wouldn't make a very successful Eskimo. No snow or frosts either.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 14, 2012
1:58 AM

Post #9081804

Massive/explosive power outage/fire etc.. in our cul de sac, has kept me quiet- but power was restored at 8.20 pm, in time to see Carlton-obliterate Collingwood,.Sausage sizzle, for the flower show, at Bunnings today, kept me busy all day, and now im stuffed!!!!!-Anthony

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9081854

Yes, Kat, she is in Northgate.

Nice gift Teresa. That must have been a shock to the senses seeing ChCh from the air.

Good you got to see your match Anthony...how was the flower show?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 14, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9082511

Good morning everyone. Its going to be a lovely day again here. We badly need some rain but I enjoy the sunny autumn days when its not so very hot. Pity we have to get the wind too.
I am going to be moving a few plants around today as I am changing plants in the shadehouse at the back veranda.
The last of the cacti are going out to their new area and some of the cold climate brugs are moving in. Should be just right for them during winter.

Hello Teresa. What a nice gift for your hubby. It would have certainly given you a very different look at ChristChurch.

Anthony, how many sausages did you eat ?...lol
Hope the flower show did well.

Kat, are you feeding those turklings frangipanis now ?
I saw lots of them when I was in Darwin. ( frangipanis, not turkeys)
They do grow like weeds dont they ?

Hello Moon. I see on the news, that there are new storms coming which will breed more tornadoes.
Keep safe.

Charleen, I hope you are not anywhere near those storms either. Keep safe too and give Charley & friends a pat.

Dianne, I love to see the frangipanis in bloom too but would not attempt to grow them .
I have seen nice ones around Melbourne . They thrive on neglect I think.

Hello Colleen, Chrissy and Sue.

Louise, lovely to see you pop in to the brug thread. . My new baby is so pretty isnt she ?
You must try growing some from seeds over there. In Florida you have brug heaven.

Better get out and enjoy some sun. Have a lovely day everyone.

Try some of these Cherry Scones, just warm from the oven.

Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 14, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9082632

WE grossed $1224 from the sausage sizzle-very exhausting[but fun] day...Another shower this morning and a good nights sleep,but i can still smell sausages,.,.I didnt eat a single one- and probably wont ,for another 6 months,.,.,.,.,.I swapped some rare 'Davidii' lilium bulbs, for an 'ultra rare' 'Narcissus Cyclamenius'daff bulb from portugaul this morning, so i'm quite happy,..,.,Anthony

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9082714

You did great Anthony.
Look at those two boys with their noses in the hay. The girls want a pet or a cookie, whichever they can get.
This is not good hay. But at least they are eating it . Cow hay!!!!

BooBoo had a Birthday Friday. Isn't he cute???

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 14, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9082778

He does look cute Charleen..

Happy birthday Boo Boo . Share these with Charley & friends.

Thats if Charley doesnt get there first..

great work on the sausage sizzle , Anthony , and on getting a rare bulb for your garden.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 15, 2012
2:50 AM

Post #9082959

Charleen, Boo Boos head looks like the front view of a '39 Caddillac...Refined- perfected and very unique

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9082999

Jean, you have really tempted me after seeing your lovely Seniorita. :)

Charleen, Boo Boo is ADORABLE! How old was he on his birthday?
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 15, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9083055

Hi everyone. So much to catch up on again. I've been gadding about in the rain for the last 2 days, looking at some beautiful gardens. I think its done me the world of good to get out. That lying around when you don't feel sick is so out of date!!! Just not my style. I am careful not to overdo it though and feel better for it.

Chookie, I hope your daughter gets through this quickly. How awful for her. Medications do have their side effects, but I'm here to testify that they do their job.

Jean, I'm always ready for a cuppa.

Well, its been a long day, so I'd better go get some beauty sleep.
Take care
Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9083088

So happy you all liked my old BooBoo. He is 13 years old now. He is just the gentleist little man and loves to eat. He is a "Foodie"
Anthony loved your description...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9083180

Good morning

Charleen...BooBoo is quite the delightful little old man.I agree with Anthony...he's in a class of his own.

Anthony, that was a whole lot of sausage...but a tidy profit. The exhausting but fun is exactly how DH and I describe our work at the music fests. Congrats on such a great swap. I know you are tickled about it.

Karen, couldn't agree more. Out and about at a gentle pace is tonic for the soul. So good to hear you are feeling better.

Colleen, hope the boys got off on their camping trip okay. Know you will enjoy the "unscheduled" time with them away.

Jean, there were 112 recorded tornadoes spawned by that storm system that went through Nebraska, Indiana, Oklahoma and Kansas.The nearest the storms came to my area was 1150km away. The northern and middle parts of the US have been sorely damaged by storms this year. We have been very fortunate here in the South. That system will bring rain/thunderstorms here, but nothing like it did in the upper part of the country.

Has anyone heard from Chrissy? I realized I have not seen her here on this thread at all. Think it has been maybe 3 weeks or more since she posted.
Hope your Monday is the start of a lovely week.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9083530

Jean, I think I may have seen her on FB...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9083683

Thanks Charleen...just thought it strange to not see her here..
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 15, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9083697

Good morning everyone. A very quick trip in today as we are off to Mt. Gambier.
You know hubby likes to get going anywhere early.

He has an amplifier to get on the courier . He sent one over to USA last week.
He is very good at what he does, but I'm glad its only a hobby as he can be very messy and I usually have an amplifier or two sitting around the house somewhere.

I will just wish everyone over in US, all the best and stay safe.
Glad those tornadoes are not near you, Moon and Charleen.
Louise , be careful on your trip home.

Hello to everyone else here. Its going to be a warm day and I will be on the lookout for any plants that look like they need a new home.

Heres your nibbles for morning tea...Apple & Blueberry Shortcake.

Couldnt resist adding this mornings pic of my two cheeky Senoritas.

Happy day
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9083753

And they are indeed saucy Senoritas...grin very pretty, Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 15, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9083943

Good morning everyone. Just popping in to let you know that the boys have left and oh the quiet. They won't be back til Friday so I'm going to have quite a bit of my time. Enjoy your trip to the mount Jean. Well I'm going to go and enjoy this beautiful day to it's fullest and I'll pop in later. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 15, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9083945

Morning all..
Jean will be on her way to Mt Gambier, hope she has a lovely day..

Moon, Chrissy is the BGI secretary and she maintains the BGI FB as well, she does post in the Aussie Brug forum on DG and she has her own FB page...busy lady.

Just watched the twin tornados destroying everything in their paths...thank goodness our US pals aren't in those areas...our thoughts are with the poor families, who have had their homes destroyed...and those who have lost loved ones.
back later.
Dianne.
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

April 16, 2012
3:15 AM

Post #9084235

Hi everyone, my last but one day in Perth. Yesterday I took Cathy to a local swap meet and we got the bargain of the year. One plant seller offered us everything he had left for $15.00 so we jumped at it. It took me three trips to the car with a supermarket trolley to carry all the plants. about half of the 40 odd plants were coleus, with geraniums, ferns,zigzag plants, rosemary,lots of odd succulents and some indoor plants we are still trying to identify...Cathy is excited to see how her patio has suddenly become a fernery. I cannot post pics from my iPad here for some reason so will post when I get home.
All the best to everyone .
Xx Sue
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

April 16, 2012
3:39 AM

Post #9084245

Forgot to ask...if anyone knows how to post picks from an iPad could you please share?
Thanks Sue

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 2:41 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 16, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9085107

Good morning everyone. Quite nippy again here this morning. It will be another lovely Autumn day.
Yesterday we had a really good day with lunch at the crater lake in Mt Gambier.
Its a huge area and excellent for picnics. There is a very large childrens play ground, all fenced.
Lots of seats & barbeques scattered over the entire area. One can drive around to various parts of the lake we visit.
There is also a wildlife area with some kangaroos .
There are other lakes to see but we like this one for convenience.
The large main lake was a navy blue/grey yesterday. It changes throughout the year , depending on what the weather is doing to the algae that cause the color change.

I bought 2 orphans from Bunnings, a pink mini abutilon and a creamy white canna.

I hope you are all getting this beautiful weather. I see more rain forecast for some of the north though.

Sue , great bargain to get all those plants.

Dianne, congrats on the very pretty new brug flowers.

Colleen, enjoy your time alone, the boys will soon be back with lots of tales to tell you.

Teresa, hope all is well with you. How are things going with your repairs ?
Pats for Sugar & Copper.

Anthony , it will be a very interesting time for you as you wait for all those lovely liliums to start growing.
Hope Cocky is behaving .

Moon and Charleen, Glad you are out of harms way there , but it is awful to see all those people losing loved ones & homes in all the tornadoes.
Keep safe.

Louise... are you there yet ?? ...lol
Hugs for the girls and I hope your house & garden are looking lovely for you.

I am going to do a bit of potting this morning.
I have my new orphans to do and a few other plants.
I may then get the hedge clippers out to go around the paths .
I have a large creeper down the back which needs pulling out to make a new area for the brugs. I may tackle that too , depending on how warm it gets here later.

Enjoy your day and your gardens.

Heres a tasty treat for morning tea...Banana Chocolate Cake.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 17, 2012
2:39 AM

Post #9085651

wow what a great bargain to score all those plants!

things are slowing down in my garden, cool nights & frosty mornings are just around the corner.

The Sugar weasel has been pretty good but hubby was rushing to put her away when the insurance assessor arrived early...
the crate wasn't locked & she got out & pulled the 'curtain' down.
I had to put something up to shield them from the sun so used drawing pins to put a sheet up.
Well it ended up in Sugar's bed.

The assessment sounds like it went ok - everything on the list from the first time is included this time.
But I am deeply disappointed in hubby - our block back wall partially collapsed & needs replacing.
All along I have been adamant that I will not settle for a timber paling fence.
I wanted a colour steel one or the block wall rebuilt.
I even pointed out the exact type I want when they were advertising on telly.
So what did hubby tell the assessor we would accept - a bl**dy paling fence!!!
I will be phoning them to say he was mistaken & that is not acceptable to me.
Mind you the neighbours have some input - 50% in fact so hopefully they will agree with my suggestion.
Can't see them not liking it as they paid to have trellis put on top of the block wall to make it look nicer & give it extra height.
They have pretty extensive vegie garden & a glass house so obviously care about the state of the back yard.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 17, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9086497

Good morning everyone.
Very quiet in here this morning. You must all be busy outside in the sunshine we have been having.

Teresa, hubbys can be so oblivious sometimes.
I can imagine your frustration. Hopefully all will be done as you wanted.
I guess Sugar is in the "dog house " after the curtain mishap. Is hubby in there with her ???...lol

Hello Colleen, Karen, Anthony, Sue and Dianne.

Moon, Charleen and Louise, hope all is well over your way.

Looks like being a lovely day here so I am off outside to check on all the plants.
I have a few pots that need watering and some seeds to plant.

Enjoy this Carrot and Walnut Cake ...
Happy gardening
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 17, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9086608

Good morning everyone. Sorry I'm a bit slack about posting but I have slowed right down and am sleeping in too late of a morning, so already so far behind before I even start. Am going to spend much of today potting some new bromeliads I got on the weekend. Its such a beautiful sunny morning, and I do hope it lasts despite them predicting more showers and storms.

But haven't forgotten you and hope you each have a lovely day ahead. Will have to get some pics to post soon before the last of the Autumn flowers disappear.

Karen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 17, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9086820

Well everyone, I went to the nursery and picked up a couple of bargains too...2 climbers that I wanted and a white double Japanese Wind Flower...I am going to run the climbers up through the Brugs, I've already got a deeper red going through Zabaglione and a Clematis all through Old Apricot...so I was very pleased to get these 2 for $4 each.
Now I really must get the bulbs planted, I have been avoiding it there seems to be so many...
My fault of course, can't resist buying them...
Also picked up a brochure on Salvias, so many types and pretty colours available now...have a look for it at your local nursery...speaking of which, our largest local, Van Loon's Garden centre has won the best large garden centre in Australia for the 3rd year in a row...now they go on to the honor roll and are not eligible for another 3 yrs...
They have always been a very good company to deal with.
Well I'd better start on the pots, have a lovely day everyone.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 18, 2012
1:42 AM

Post #9087097

I love the double Japanese anemone, I have the pink & the white singles...
can be invasive but not in my garden.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 18, 2012
2:10 AM

Post #9087103

Blackbirds are serving up my seedlings ''Its just not on'',.,.,.,.,.,.Ive got the boxes out front, to get the best of the weather b4 winter[and its working],.,have laid out some bird wire, but not enough to cover all bases.,.Maybe i should see if i can pick up a cheap 'blunderbuss' on ebay,.Sootys 'too' tired to scare them,.[this happens evey year]-anthony
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 18, 2012
2:26 AM

Post #9087104

you need a dalmatian on bird duty Anthony...
my Chita killed more birds than the cat ever could.
She had a 6ft vertical spring & plucked birds from the air as they dropped from the gutter to the fence.
But you want one like her not like my new babe - Sugar has uprooted two pot plants & has indulged in some unauthorised pruning of my blueberry & other assorted shrubs.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9087384

Anthony, don't you have bird netting or screen or rat wire you can lay over them??? I have to put wire over things to keep chickens and dogs out.
Of coarse, there is a fella live here that shoots the bird and hangs it in a tree to keep others (birds) away. A Warning!!!!to the birds.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 18, 2012

Post #9087930

Good morning eveeyone. Still getting lovely warm autumn weather here and no wind for a while.
We do need rain though, but it will turn up in a rush later I suppose.

I did a bit of seed sorting yesterday. I have so many seeds for spring. Not all brugs but a nice mix of other flowers too. Even some tomatoes and pumpkins I am going to try.

Anthony, those blackbirds can be a real pain in the 'you know what'. I do like them around though.
I have to cover all my pots with mesh . I use the light white nylon bird netting for the large spaces and the gutter mesh for the smaller pots. Its very cheap and the birds dont like it much. Even just strung around the pots, they seem to keep away from it.
I find with the blackbirds, they spend more time on the ground so one doesnt seem to need much overhead covering .
Try stringing your mesh around the pots & boxes up to around 2 - 3 feet and let it just hang loosely over the tops.
I have cut the gutter mesh to fit each of the large brug pots.

Teresa, sounds like you have a real mischief maker there with Sugar.
She keeps you on your toes.

Great bargains , Dianne.
I love the windflowers. I have a few of the white and pink here .
They are very slow growers in the dry. When I first put them in , we had a few good wet years and they were so lovely and running everywhere.
Now they just sit in the dry.
Yours should do very well down there where they get more rain.

Karen, lovely to see you popping in when you can. Keep taking things easy.
Your broms must be looking lovely now. Mine are still getting pups.

Hello Charleen. You must be enjoying a pretty spring by now, in your garden.
Give that cheeky Charley a pat for me.

Moon, you will be getting some warm weather there too. I hope no storms though.
Slowly creeping up to your summer.

Louise, are you there yet ?? ...lol
Hope you & Hank had a safe trip The girls will be loving all the garden to run in again.
Not too many weeds waiting for you, hopefully.

Hello Colleen, are you enjoying the quiet time on your own ? You will be able to get a few more things done while the boys are away.
The broms should be looking pretty .

Hello Sue, Chrissy and anyone else popping in.

Time I got myself moving and did some watering.
Heres your nibbles for today... Chocolate Coffee Cake.

Happy gardening .
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 18, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9088067

Hi everyone. What a glorious morning it is here. Cool, but not chilly. Showers are predicted but lets hope they stay away until this evening.

My "garden" is producing a few purple flowers at the moment, and I have to admit, the Purple Ginger is one of my favourites.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9089056

Hello! No, Jean, we're still on the road, now in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia...such a beautiful place and Spring is everywhere with the dogwoods and lots of wildflowers blooming roadside. Here is a shot or two taken just now from my ipad. For those who want to post photos from an ipad, just download a free app called icab. From there it is quite simple, but once in awhile the photos come out looking funny. If anyone needs me to talk them through using icab, I'd be happy to do it.

We're about an hour twenty from our night's lodging. Getting weary, but holding up pretty well so far. Hope you are all enjoying your outings and getting all those great deals like Chookie did! :)

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook   Thumbnail by DonnieBrook   Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9089059

See what I mean about the funny pics? The third one looks like we drive strange cars and trucks here. LOL

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9089074

Louise you have a safe trip home...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 19, 2012

Post #9089278

Good morning everyone. Well the boys will be home today and my week of lovely "me" time will come to an end. I have been so busy catching up on things. I didn't get half of it done but never mind. The boy's uniforms have all been washed and ironed ready for the change over to Winter uniforms. I have done a lot of re-potting of the broms and did intend to get the Epi pieces into hanging pots but never quite got around to that. I noticed that one of the thicker strapped zygos [ripsalis???] has lots of buds on it. I got it from the markets and was told it is apricot so fingers crossed. Safe travelling Louise. The scenery looks lovely. Is Virginia a vegetable growing area over there? We have a town called Virginia here in SA and they grow a lot of vegies there. Everyone have a great day. I must go as I still have lots to do. Take care. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 19, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9089315

Good morning everyone. Cloudy here but some sun coming through. Hubby says maybe a shower later.

Louise, I was being cheeky when I asked were you there yet...lol
I remember my kids always asking that even after we had just left home.
Looks like some lovely scenery along your way. Dont worry about the pics looking a bit wrong, We can still enjoy your travels.
Hope the girls are behaving well.

Colleen, you will b e pleased to have the boys back again and they will , no doubt , have many stories to tell you.

Anthony, how is your war with the blackbirds going ?
Ours all sit on the shed roof morning & night , waiting for hubby to feed the magpies . The blackbirds are always on time and are really very quiet now.
They come right up for their food.

Hello Moon & Charleen. Hope all are safe over your way.

Sue , are you home yet ? Weeds are waiting for you.

Dianne, I planted a few brug seeds yesterday but will save most for spring. Your garden will be looking beautiful now.

Hello Karen, hope you are coming along much better now.

Teresa . How are things going over your way ?
I see more pics of Christchurch on TV.
It takes a long time to get things moving again.
How is little miss mischief behaving ?
Anymore wreckage from her playfulness ?

Bette get myself moving.
The sun has just come out from the clouds. I will do some watering this morning.

Enjoy your day.
Heres something nice for morning tea...Black Forest Cake.

Happy day...we have moved to here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1253223/

Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 21, 2012
2:28 AM

Post #9091181

Sugar is improving in her manners - it takes a while for some dogs to grow out of puppy antics & she is a very playful wee thing.
Copper surprised me this morning, I was enjoying my breakfast coffee & FB & he came to say hello and managed to hit the keyboard with his paw knocking the shift key flying.
It took me ages to piece the spring clip back together & then get that in place so I could snap the key cover back on.
It works so I must have done it right, thank goodness for 'how to' videos on line!
Garden is being neglected, spent the rest of today playing with the dogs, doing the house work & rearranging the bedroom furniture.
Found more earthquake damage but the room has been listed as needing painting so not too worried about that.
Looks bigger in there now that it is clean & tidy & I have moved some furniture out.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 21, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9091853

Teresa, we moved.

Funny to see Copper learning new tricks from Sugar instead of the other way around...lol

Jean.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9091930

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1253223/
Here you go Teresa, come join us...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America