Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Vegetable Gardening: Spring Fever!!!

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
desert_witch
Lucerne Valley, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9055745

I'm so happy to be back at DG where everyone understands just how severe a case of Spring Fever can be! I'm back at my gardening in full swing this year after a couple of years taking it very easy and small due to illness (combined with the attack of the Bermuda Grass from insufficiently composted horse manure a few years ago). The asparagus bed is done for this year... as weeded as can be and mulched beautifully with a nice mixture of horse and chicken poop with finely sifter wood chips. 5 spears up already so looks like we got it done just in time!
Tomorrow I'm starting my peppers, eggplant and tomato seeds in plugs, outdoors (technically) although they will be inside of my mini soil heater/greenhouses. Here's a couple pics. I'll post more when the seeds are in all cozy.

Thumbnail by desert_witch   Thumbnail by desert_witch
Click an image for an enlarged view.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9056268

desert_witch - nice going! I've started seed starting in earnest, too.
desert_witch
Lucerne Valley, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9056678

These heater boxes are so simple to make. Just a 2x4 frame topped by a piece of tin, with a switched cord added. 2-60 (57) watt light bulbs, 1 on each side. As my seedlings sprout and get too tall for the tiny tray lids, I'll add a wire frame and cover in plastic to give the babies room to grow up!

Thumbnail by desert_witch
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America