Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Lilac mostly dead...

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 4, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9056424

I have a 10 year old Common Lilac, Syringa vulgaris that took a nose-dive last year. There are no leaves starting anywhere and most of the branches are dry and can be snapped off. I cut it back and have removed the root-ball. A very small portion of the roots look still alive. My question is this...

Will anything grow back from the roots left in the ground? I have pulled out what I can but some of the roots go under the fence and into the neighbors yard, some under another shrub, and some into the lawn.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9067141

Anyone?
Kenarden
Bar Harbor, ME

April 2, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9067335

I think it unlikely that you will get any new growth; especially since the top was lifeless before you cut it down.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9067471

Do you want it back? If so, make every attempt to further eliminate it. It will spite you.

If you don't want it back, pursue every avenue to coax those root bits back to health. It will spite you.

I agree with Kenarden - it's likely all dead. Ignore it in favor of future successes.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9067863

Thanks to both of you.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America