Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Bottom watering small peat pots

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 6, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
michaelangelo
Brainerd, MN

March 25, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9056635

For the first time this year I did some of my initial pot-ups to 4" peat pots. Actually, they are not peat but whatever it is that Plantation is hawking these days as a peat substitute. I usually bottom water and wonder how advisable that is with these pots (compared to the plastic ups I used to use).

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9058304

I can't answr that directly, but you might consider keeping them cose to each other in the tray, and wrapping some saran Wrap or other plastic film around the peat pots. I am guessing that they would dry out much faster than plastic pots, and draw water away from the soil inside them.

lssfishhunter
Jonesville, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9068748

They will dry out quicker than plastic containers. I used them one year. I also noticed that they grew a fungus on a few of the pots as well. I think it depends on what you have in pots. I typically bottom water when they are in the flats with my peppers and tomatoes. When I had the peat pots, I would just gently pour water into the pots. This did not hurt the plants but if you have something delicate growing, you may want to take the time and gently spray water them.
trc65
Galesburg, IL

April 3, 2012
9:19 PM

Post #9068979

Are they coir pots? I recently saw where several online plant retailers are starting to use them and like peat pots are advertising that you can plant them and not worry about removing the plant or disposing of plastic pots.

If they are in fact coir pots, I would assume (I certainly don't know) that they are a big step up from peat pots or these companies wouldn't be using them commercially. I would guess that you could water them from the bottom without any problems, but I would try it on a few pots initially and make sure they will stand up to that methodology before you start doing that with all your plants.

If they are coir, I would like to hear more about your experiences with them as the season progresses. In particular I'm curious about any problems (fungus, drying too quickly etc..) and how you think the plants grow after planting in the soil. I use only plastic right now, but I could see some uses for an alternative for some plants if they don't have all the problems I've had with peat pots. I'm also curious about what you think about the cost of them. I reuse most of my plastic cell packs and small (2.5") pots for 4-5 years before they wear out so they would have to be cheap for me to consider.
michaelangelo
Brainerd, MN

April 4, 2012
1:16 AM

Post #9069066

trc... I'm not crazy about them, and they DID develop mold or whatever (whitish gunk) on the outside and just did not seem to do as wlel as plastic. Actually I use 16 oz plastic cups with slits scissored out at the bottom edge for drainage, and they have worked just fine for years. I got the coil pots (they are NOT peat) on sale (I think about 25 cents each), which is why I tried them. I don;t think I would use them again. I don;t like the white stuff that's growing on them and I do not think bottom watering works well with them. And they do dry out fast.
trc65
Galesburg, IL

April 4, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9069633

Thanks for the info. I get the small plastic pots for just a few cents, so I don't think I'll be investing in any coir anytime soon.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9070070

>> 16 oz plastic cups with slits scissored out at the bottom edge

I found a very thin-bladed knife with a big handle, sharpened it up, and can cut four little nicks around the bottom of a Solo cup lickety-split.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America