-
AuthorContent
darci_
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9056696

I've Googled for mandoline reviews, and every site praises different ones. I've read countless reviews on Amazon.com, where I buy most everything these days, and for every good review of a given mandoline, there's one saying it's a piece of junk. So, I thought you folks might have some that you've tried and wouldn't want to be without. I'm a careful shopper, but when it comes down to quality, I'll bite the bullet and pay more for better quality.

Mine won't get a ton of use because it's just me and my husband, but I do plan to get into some extra canning and freezing this year, and I thought it might come in really handy. Any suggestions? (Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere. I did a search and only got two brief mentions.)
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9058818

Have you looked at the one the Pampered Chef sells? I don't personally have it, but my DD does, and she loves it & I recall it being reasonably priced. She's had hers for several years. Doesn't use it every week but she does for special potato dishes and some other things. They may have re-designed it also since she bought hers so you might check out recent reviews.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9058911

I don't think any of them are perfect. I have an expensive one, it was close to $200 about 12 years ago. It has several different blades and knives for julienne strips etc. and it is adjustable from nothing to an inch. It works well but it has to be taken apart to be cleaned and handling the blades can be dicey. I also have an inexpensive plastic Kyocera with a ceramic blade and I use it almost every day. This one does not come apart so you just rinse it off to clean. The problem with this one is it only has 4 set thicknesses and they go from paper thin to only about 1/8" and sometimes you want thicker slices. I have looked for a better quality Kyocera or comparable mandoline with more adjustments but did not come up with anything. If I could find one I would sell the pricey one in an minute. It just occurred to me I have never used the julienne blades, they were a waste for me.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9058927

I also have an expensive one and this is the most important advice I can give you: READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY AND UNTIL YOU UNDERSTAND THEM. I cut myself rather seriously trying to disassemble and clean. I hadn't read the instructions and sure enough, handled a blade in a way that was going to do nothing but cut me. Had to go to clinic for a preventive shot and Dr said I prob. should have had a couple of stitches. I didn't feel it right away and were it not for the blood that was all over the sink, I might have kept on going. Practicing assembling and disassembling, as well as practicing using the blades is totally worth it, especially if one is not a daily user. . After the incident I haven't had the nerve to use it again and instead use a cheap one that does not come apart and only has to be rinsed.

They do make perfect, beautiful slices, but make sure your fingers don't get julienned in the process.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9059081

Ouch, if I am using the hi end one I often just slice a half of cucumber or whatever I am slicing because I am afraid to get too close to the blade. I have seen chef's gloves that have steel in them so they can't slice their fingers off, maybe that is what we need. :-)

I have to admit, I have sliced fingernails (and sometimes more) off on the plastic one too.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9059434

In my experience, they are all good for cutting cucumbers, and none of them are good for cutting anything harder, even with a holder. It may look easy on TV, but you may find the sliding attachment on a food processor to be better.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

March 27, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9059591

I got mine at a restaurant supply store - less than $20 - has worked great for many years. Was about to buy a more expensive unit, but the manager knew me and suggested the cheaper unit - glad he did.

I have used it on potatoes, carrots, eggplant, celery, parsnips, cucumbers, squash, etc. It does have replaceable blades and a julienne blade in addition to the straight blade was supplied, but I have not used it.

There is a depth adjustment and it is easy to remove the blade.

The above warnings about the caution when using one are justified - BE VERY CAREFUL - you can take a chunk of finger off in a flash!

When you have less than an inch of veggie left - quit or use the holder - I quit - the holder is just another bother and time waster IMHO.
An inch of veggie is not worth getting cut.
darci_
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9059622

Thanks, everyone, for the advice and suggestions. I'm sort of accident prone. I usually manage to cut or burn myself 2 or 3 times a week in the kitchen, so yes, that's one of the things I am looking at, how safe it looks. Another thing I'd like a slicer for is sweet potatoes. They're so hard to slice with a knife, and I like them cooked in a skillet. I did buy a mandoline at Linens and Things, an OXO, I think, and I took it back because it was a joke so far as getting clean slices went.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9060233

A, we think so much alike. I also thought that a good way to protect my precious fingers would be using some kind of glove.

Hi Bill, good to see ya. With the cheap mandoline, I am ridiculous enough to slice the last little bitty slice of radish, often at the risk of slicing my fingers. Nails and radish salad, anyone?

As to food processor, there is something I never use. my chute is too little to insert something like a potato for slicing. In reality, of all my gizmos, the emulsion blender and the cheap mandoline are at the top, with my favorite el cheapo paring knife. I have a big kitchen and plenty of storage but the reality is that it takes longer to get out some of the gizmos than to just use a knife. I don't like cluttered counters so outta sight, outta mind.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9060257

I think my DD's has a holder. She just tosses that last bit of potato or uses a knife to slice the last bit. I wouldn't want to chance it with MY fingers! I'd get a finger or piece of skin for sure.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9060270

Ditto to Bubba. I have the tool that holds the end of the item in place but just don't use it. Instead I cut the remainder with a knife. Mine cost about $19.00 twenty years ago and, though it's just plastic, it works very well.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9060645

I use my plastic one almost every day - celery for chicken salad, onions and/or garlic for everything, cucumbers and carrots for salads and soups and cabbage for slaw but I cannot do something like sweet potatoes with it, I need the heavy duty one for things like that. I also find the big one does tomatoes better because the blade is sharper but I rarely bother as it is so easy to do those by hand. My food processor, a KA, seems to make messy slices so I rarely use that. Maybe a Cuisonart would do better.

LOL, I just saw these - less protein in those veggies!
http://www.amazon.com/1607M-Resistant-100-Percent-Kevlar-Textured/dp/B003TV40YE/ref=pd_bxgy_k_text_b

This message was edited Mar 28, 2012 2:55 PM
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9060687

Not too spendy either. Kevlar, huh?
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

March 29, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9061470

Thought we had lost you, vossner. Miss seeing you at the vineyard-lol.

Another option that DW uses several times a week is the mini-food processor. It is quick, easy to clean (only 3 pices - blade, top, bottom) but batch mode only.

I have used the large food processor to slice summer and zuccini squash, and carrots when we had a lot to do, but for a small amount usually use a knife unless I want identical sice pieces, then the mandoline is the tool of choice.
Ronny121
Alabama, NY

November 11, 2013
2:35 AM

Post #9706413

In my experience, they are all acceptable for acid cucumbers, and none of them are acceptable for acid annihilation harder, even with a holder. It may attending simple on TV, but you may acquisition the sliding adapter on a aliment processor to be better.
Jamesdavis
Agawam, MA

November 20, 2013
3:10 AM

Post #9712837

I think OXO Good Grips V-blade Mandoline Slicer will be best for you. It make straight slices, including 4blades, handle and turning knob are soft for comfort, non slip feet keep it secure.
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2014
8:43 AM

Post #9755943

[quote="Jamesdavis"]I think OXO Good Grips V-blade Mandoline Slicer will be best for you. It make straight slices, including 4blades, handle and turning knob are soft for comfort, non slip feet keep it secure. [/quote]

That is the one I gave my daughter for xmas one year.

I personally have an older V slicer I bought used off ebay. Boerner, sometimes spelled Borner I think.
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2014
7:12 PM

Post #9757011

I've had a "Dial a matic" for over 40 years. Whenever I find one at a yard sale I buy it for friends or family. Works for me!!!
EucalyptusMorn
Mansfield, TX

March 8, 2014
2:06 PM

Post #9784975

My mandolin is a Bron-Couke. You do have to be cautious when dismantling, but we all think it is just great.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America