Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Canning, Freezing and Drying: loquat preserves

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 4, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9056781

Have a loquat tree grown from a seedling that is now loaded with fruit. Theyr'e a bit too tart for my taste fresh (actually a lot too tart), so I'm considering making loquat preserves. Has anyone out there done this and did they like the end product?
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9057286

Cactusman8, I just made loquat jam yesterday! My ex has a huge, bountiful tree and I just couldn't stand all those fruits just going to waste - far more than the birds would ever eat. I had some on toast last night and I liked it a lot. Just be sure and remove the seeds, as, like peach pits, they are poisonous. I wound up putting in about four cups of sugar to probably two gallons of loquats (I don't like super-sweet) and was very pleased with the results. Some recipes call for cooking it to death and some just until tender; I cooked the fruit, barely covered with water, for several hours before adding the sugar. Beautiful and tasty.

And yes, I will give my ex a jar of them. :)
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9057287

http://www.loquatworld.com/LoquatRecipes.html
cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9058434

Thanks, brigidlily for your reply and the site with the recipes. I will most likely try the pickling recipe since that is something I understand (I pickle anything that can't get out of the way) and it requires a lot less cooking time. That's a consideration now that temps here are approaching 90.
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9059398

It's hard to believe, isn't it? We're already feeling summer here during the day... I am so dreading July and August... And I do love summer! Just not eight months of it!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America