Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Propagation: A difficult Rex

Communities > Forums > Propagation
bookmark
Forum: PropagationReplies: 3, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Elijablue
Wheaton, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9056866

I have propagated begonias in the past, but I'm having trouble with this Rex. I took a leaf cutting (with petiole), applied rooting hormone to the cut, also made cuts along the veins, and inserted in moist medium on 1/13. Kept it loosely covered for a week to retain moisture and it did well for awhile, but then the whole leaf started to rot, so I dumped it - never grew any roots. Took a second cutting (leaf with petiole) and put it in water on 2/13. It did develop some roots on the petiole and I potted it up on 2/22. Now that leaf is "wilting" and turning brown around the edges. There is no sign of any new growth yet. I know the cuttings take awhile, but my leaves seem to die out before the new growth starts. Any suggestions?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9061442

Keep it covered, don't keep it too wet (it will rot), and be patient - if it has roots then it should throw some babies up soon (brown edges don't matter but a brown center is disaster).

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Garden_Sass
Central, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9083071

I've had good results using the larger clear plastic "salad greens" containers from the grocery store. They're large enough to place the entire leaf (major veins cut) onto fresh, moist potting soil surface; the lid keeps moisture in (must be careful not to over water). The container is placed in a warm area in bright indirect light. If moisture collects on the lid, remove and shake it off before replacing. I occasionally check the soil surface, spritzing with water if dry.
Elijablue
Wheaton, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9084942

Well, I'm on my 3rd leaf cutting - the other 2 rotted, even the one that had rooted in water! This one was carefully set on moist soil and covered loosely with plastic. After only a few days, it appears that it also is turning brown at the center :( And I was very careful not to wet the leaf this time (think I overwatered the other ones). Somehow, this plant just won't propagate for me!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 281 Jun 13, 2011 9:12 AM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America