Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

How deep are your roots?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 152 votes:

Very deep - we've lived in the same place for more than 50 years
(7 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Pretty deep - we've lived here for 25 to 50 years
(37 votes, 24%)
Red dot

Getting deeper - we've lived here for 10 to 25 years
(48 votes, 31%)
Red dot

Putting down roots - we've lived here for 5 to 10 years
(27 votes, 17%)
Red dot

No real roots yet - we've lived her for 1 to 5 years
(20 votes, 13%)
Red dot

Under a year but we've unpacked all the boxes
(2 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Under a year and there are still boxes to be unpacked
(5 votes, 3%)
Red dot

We'll never unpack everything
(3 votes, 1%)
Red dot

We're preparing to uproot (move) soon!
(3 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow! 100% of the vote ~ lol That's what I get for being first.

37 years in east Texas and 33 of those years right where I am.

May not always stay on this same property but for sure, east Texas is home to me.

Grew up in Minnesota.

Greenfield, OH(Zone 6a)

10 to 25

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Moved here in 1982.
Planted some spruce twigs then, they now 30' high.
No plans to move anytime soon. About 3 years of mortgage payments & it's all ours!

And that will be a wonderful feeling of accomplishment Bernie. Congratulations!

Lucerne Valley, CA(Zone 8a)

My Grandparents bout our High Desert Ranch back in '65. We came back and forth as "weekenders" until '71 when they retired here. Eventually my Mom retired here and I came back and forth for many years before moving back to stay in 2002. Deep roots here on this 40 acres of sand, scrub and scorpions!

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I've lived in either the house on the west side of me or the house on the east side of me or the house in the middle for all but about 1 year of my life............77 years.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I've lived the the same general area my whole life but in the current house about 15 years.

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

As a former Army wife, I never expected to set down roots until I moved here in 1988. Cannot believe I've been here this long. However, the accumulated junk attests to the fact that it's true!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Going on three here for me. ^_^

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

This is our sixth year at this location.

We've moved so many times in our lives that I've lost count.

I'm already itching to move again! We're just a couple of nomads!

Milwaukee, WI

Hate moving been here 9yrs and there takeing me out feet first lol

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I've actually lived in this area all my life (63 years) but not the same house. Just 12 years in this particular house as we built this one in the country for our retirement days after the kids were gone.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Built our house while pregnant with our first child - 32 years later, still here. My husband 'thinks' he wants to retire to Arizona, but I keep pointing out that we've never spent any time there and I melt (in a bad way) in the heat. Retirement is 2 years out, so we'll see what happens. I'm happy to stay in a temperate climate (PNW).

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Been in this house 11 years...the one before it almost 25 years. Kinda figure this is the last one. I hate packing and moving..as a kid and young adult I have moved about 20 times.....way more than I wanted.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

We're living in my husbands family's beach house. It was built in the late 50's, after Hurricane Hazel (1954), which took the original beach house. We moved in permanently in 2000 and are never leaving. Two blocks from the beach and no mortgage, hello!!! ;)
Barb

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Moved here 5 years ago to this house and I know we will have at least one more move in us. Just don't seem to be able to stay in one house. But will probably stay in this area.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Almost 8 years but I didn't want to be here that long, we'll be here even longer since we started our own biz and it's doing pretty good

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Twenty one years in this house but all our lives on Long Island.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

And a beautiful garden to show for it...grin. Hi Pirl.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Jean.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Only trouble with 30 year old beds are the embedded perennial weeds!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i can't believe we've been in this house for 9 yrs. already. where has the time gone?
other half wants to move; me, i love it here but who knows what the future holds?

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

"Here I dwell, and shall live forever." William Gladstone Steel, on living in Oregon.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I've lived in Alaska 57 years (born in Calif), 37 in Fbks and 20 here in Anchorage. Have lived in this house 16 years. Longest by far than any other house in my life.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Cannot believe it myself but we are MOVING in .... sometime really soon. Like as soon as we find a place to live in DFW!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

What is DFW, Carrie?

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

DFW- Dallas, Fort Worth Texas. You think Carrie's in for big time culture shock? LOL
Vickie

Nah... only in gardening! lol Welcome to Texas Ms Carrie!

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Quote from bonehead :
Built our house while pregnant with our first child - 32 years later, still here. My husband 'thinks' he wants to retire to Arizona, but I keep pointing out that we've never spent any time there and I melt (in a bad way) in the heat. Retirement is 2 years out, so we'll see what happens. I'm happy to stay in a temperate climate (PNW).

Off topic, but wanted to say that all the advice I have heard regarding those thinking of retiring to a place where they have never lived is to make a temporary move (not sell the house, etc.) to where you think you want to live and live there a year so that you experience all the different times of the year. Only then can you have any idea of that it is like. That was advice that is often given to people thinking of moving to Florida from up north. People visit in the spring/winter and have never experienced a Florida summer with all its humidity, where you can start to sweat when you walk out of the house at 6:30 in the morning! After they go to all the expense of selling their house and moving, they realize that it is NOT what they want and end up moving back!

I grew up in Florida, spent the first 30 years of my life there. First in Tampa, then Miami and then in West Palm Beach, before living in the San Francisco Bay area for 5 years. I have been in Huntsville Alabama for the last 8.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Some people in our little town, sold their house, bought a 5th wheel camper. Went south in winter, bought a lot here to park it on for the summer, 2010. Now they sold the camper & bought a house here again. Apparently Minnesota has more to offer than the open road!

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Moved from north MS to south IL. This is my third spring here. Have made lots of changes, the biggest one from Zone 7 to Zone 6. AND, I'm vegetable gardening, to be my 3rd garden this summer. I was born in MI, and always wanted to move back 'north', and southern IL is more 'north' than MS. :)

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Same house for 23 years & it was the already existing veggie garden that initially caught my eye!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'd like to sell the house right after retiring and buy a motor home and travel to every state to see where we'd like to settle down

Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

We've been here for just over a year, my dh recently retired from the Air Force. Hopefully this is it for us. Only 29 more years and then it is ours.

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

25 years in a' quiet 'cul-de- sac..except for a 7 month period,3 yrs back, when dirty thieving scums moved in to the 'then' rental next door..

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

.....dazed.....just got back from a few days in TX, mostly by myself alone in motel while DH had "meetings" and I called about apartments for rent. Didn't find anything.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Ditch Lily, I agree wholeheartedly. I wish we would have lived in our current location for a year to experience the seasons - we ended up building our deck right in the path of the prevailing wind! Lovely when calm, but mostly not.

And no offense to you who can tolerate the heat, but I just can't. Even going to eastern Washington in the heart of summer, I wonder why anyone would chose to live there... But, to each his/her own.

(Susan) Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

This August will be 6 years. We're in a trailer park, owned by the city, and they want to move us in 2014..... not happy with this as it's 1/2 way across the city and we have no choice. No one wants to buy our place (we've been trying for 2 years) because if they want this area, why buy here and have to move. If they want the other area, why buy here for 2 years......
I detest moving at the best of times..........
I like our large (16ft x 19ft) deck, our hot tub off the deck, and we've put hardwood flooring in the bedroom (huge bedroom, made up from two smaller ones). We've done a lot of improvements and the property is shifting (we're on a hill) which means the trailer is shifting causing damage and the City won't fix the property cuz "You're moving in two years anyway, why should be bother?!" Arrrrrrrgh
Guess I've vented now...... sorry to have "dumped" this on you.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

DitchLily206 - I agree with you about South Florida. I lived there for over 30 years and hated every minute of if! Hubby loved the heat.
Then our daughter decided to move to here to Charlotte, so we moved too.

We meet up with lots of exFloridians that are nicknamed: "Half Backs" - they were originally from NY or other northern States, moved to Florida - hated the heat and humidity there, and settled in North Carolina - hense the "Half Back" terminology.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.