Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Vegetable Gardening: The first cabbage!

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DMersh
Perth
United Kingdom
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9057817

I was photographing wild cabbage plants at Dover last week, thought it might interest some members on the vegetable forum to see the wild ancestor of the cultivated species. These are the ages old wild form that was slowly bred and cultivated into the cabbges we eat today. Its not too common, favoring lime rich or salty conditions so usually only found on mainly shingle beaches in northern Europe (I don't know if its naturalised in other areas).
Oddly these wild forms can be either biennial or perennial, most of the Dover plants were perennial, to judge from the woody trunks they had formed - quite unlike the large, stemless rosettes of cultivated cabbages. Also present in the vicinity was Sea Kale, another wild form of a cultivated vegetable and Sea Beet, precursor of the farmed beets. (Sea Kale can be difficult to tell apart from Wild cabbage, having similar looking foliage)

1,2&3: Sea cabbage.

4: Sea beet

5: Sea Kale, at Dungeness about 10 miles west of Dover - it grows at Dover too, but this was the better picture.

Thumbnail by DMersh   Thumbnail by DMersh   Thumbnail by DMersh   Thumbnail by DMersh   Thumbnail by DMersh
Click an image for an enlarged view.

texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9057854

Interesting. Are they eatable?
DMersh
Perth
United Kingdom
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9057865

Apparently so though can be quite strong flavoured, Sea Kale is said to be an excellent vegetable - harvesting for food was said, in days gone by, to be a factor in its decline from a once very common coastal plant, though its fairly abundant locally these days (Its been a while now since it was eaten much)

Link to a site on eating wild cabbage:

http://rawedibleplants.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/wild-cabbage-brassica-oleracea.html

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9058156

DMersh - I'm British, but have never heard of sea cabbage. Those red veins are very pretty in photo #3.

We ate a lot of cabbage when I was a child.

(I was born and raised in Cornwall)
DMersh
Perth
United Kingdom
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
10:34 PM

Post #9058587

Cornwall is mostly rocky coastline I believe? Its shingle that the sea cabbage favours most, its a bit of an obscure plant these days, few people would recognise it for what it is (I myself thought it was Sea Kale for years, only recently realised what it was).

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9058875

Yes, Cornwall does have a mostly rocky coastline. The South side tends to have pepple beaches, but the Northern shores usually have beautiful white sand beaches. The climb down to and up from Cornish beaches will surely keep you in good shape!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America