Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Seed Trading: Wanted: Peanuts

Communities > Forums > Seed Trading
bookmark
Forum: Seed TradingReplies: 4, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dsrtgdn
Lancaster, CA

March 26, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9058375

I'd like to try growing Peanuts. Please check my trade list for a swap. I have more items (mostly tomato/peppers and beans) unlisted because there isn't much of them. Hoping to hear from you. Chris
ordairygirl
Nyssa, OR
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9061498

I was told by another member on here that you can just buy the raw spanish peanuts in the grocery store (the ones for peanut brittle in the baking aisle). I tried and they grow like a charm. Have a few started in my basement under lights...since I'm Zone 6. Maybe there are other varieties that you want, but just thought I'd let you know. They sure are fast growers. No little 2 nurse leaves- they start out by sending up a full branch with 6 leaves. Mine germinated in less than a week indoors.
dsrtgdn
Lancaster, CA

April 2, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9066971

Thank you much. Do they need to be in the shell? Did you use any particular soil mix? I appreciate the info
ordairygirl
Nyssa, OR
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9067816

I bought the pre-shelled bag in the bakery section...but I'm guessing you could un-shell standard peanuts. I think as long as they are not roasted or salted you are good to go. I would start them in a 3-4" pot as they grow fast. I just used standard potting soil. Really I found these to be quite aggressive and not something you have to baby at all. Since you are in a warmer zone than me you might be able to just stick them in the ground. My season is too short so I have to start them early inside for any hopes of peanuts. We stop having frosts in May but it doesn't get "hot" till July. Good luck!

dsrtgdn
Lancaster, CA

April 11, 2012
3:35 AM

Post #9077995

Thanks much for the tip. I'll give it a shot. :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Seed Trading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My seeds Holly 7 Dec 7, 2010 4:21 AM
wanted orange coneflower SEEDLADY 22 Aug 31, 2007 5:28 AM
Have: Primula Elatior, Mesembryanthemum, Cuphea Ignea babalu 9 May 3, 2010 10:57 AM
looking for mimosa tree seeds (pods) jishro 53 Jan 20, 2011 5:03 PM
Another source for SASE seeds Terry 32 Jun 7, 2011 8:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America