Wanted: Peanuts

Lancaster, CA

I'd like to try growing Peanuts. Please check my trade list for a swap. I have more items (mostly tomato/peppers and beans) unlisted because there isn't much of them. Hoping to hear from you. Chris

Nyssa, OR(Zone 6a)

I was told by another member on here that you can just buy the raw spanish peanuts in the grocery store (the ones for peanut brittle in the baking aisle). I tried and they grow like a charm. Have a few started in my basement under lights...since I'm Zone 6. Maybe there are other varieties that you want, but just thought I'd let you know. They sure are fast growers. No little 2 nurse leaves- they start out by sending up a full branch with 6 leaves. Mine germinated in less than a week indoors.

Lancaster, CA

Thank you much. Do they need to be in the shell? Did you use any particular soil mix? I appreciate the info

Nyssa, OR(Zone 6a)

I bought the pre-shelled bag in the bakery section...but I'm guessing you could un-shell standard peanuts. I think as long as they are not roasted or salted you are good to go. I would start them in a 3-4" pot as they grow fast. I just used standard potting soil. Really I found these to be quite aggressive and not something you have to baby at all. Since you are in a warmer zone than me you might be able to just stick them in the ground. My season is too short so I have to start them early inside for any hopes of peanuts. We stop having frosts in May but it doesn't get "hot" till July. Good luck!

Lancaster, CA

Thanks much for the tip. I'll give it a shot. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.