Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: Lilies of he valley

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 7, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
John22153
Fern Creek, KY

March 26, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9058523

What do you feed Lilies of the Valley?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

April 16, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9085113

I love my Lily Of The Vally and have a pink flowering one that just planted last year, I like to grow a few roots in a Pot so early spring when the little green tips show, I bring them in doors and enjoy their perfume when the flowers open.
Feed if needed is a handful of Blood / fish / bone (mixture) bought from the garden store is comes in various sized boxes and is not expensive.

A handful around several plants and gently hand forked into the top soil will give them a boost at early spring time, be very careful working around the soil where the plants are emerging as it is very easy to break the tips off the stems and if it don't stop the flowering it will damage the green leaves, remember these are not deep rooted plants.
They like a shaded area with good light and free draining soil but not bone dry. best area would be beside a path so as you walk about, you get the perfume in the air. hope this helps. WeeNel.
MNCchrissy
Hong Kong
Hong Kong

December 21, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9363729

I have got some "dried" pips from garden centre.
The staff told me to plant them wz potting mix and water every other day. I keep them outdoor at the balcony.
After 1 week, it seems nothing happened above the soil, but mould found at roots.

can someone give me some advice.
Its now my second batch of pips. Dont want to put them into the bin :(
MNCchrissy
Hong Kong
Hong Kong

December 21, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9363732

The dried pips

Thumbnail by MNCchrissy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 21, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9363821

They really don't require any particular care at all... But if want to fuss over them, sure.
It doesn't seem like planting dried roots would be the best way to get the plant growing... There is surely a point where drying simply kills the root, tough as this plant is.
MNCchrissy
Hong Kong
Hong Kong

December 21, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9364132

1/ Do you think I should soak them in water before planting them into pots?

2/ Would rinsing the root, trying to remove the mould, save the pips?

i know its not the best way, but that's the only form I can get here in Hong Kong.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 21, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9364255

Just give them time... if there's a spark of life in them, they'll grow. They are very tough.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

December 28, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9369345

The little sharp pointed bits shooting from the roots are the new growth for this years flowers, it is far too early for the flowers to begin and they need a bit of time to settle into a good potting compost IF growing indoors or in pots.
As suggested, I would drop them into a bowl /bucket of water for a couple of hours to make the stems plump and fill out a bit, if too dry they will die / go brittle and nothing will grow.
Fill the pot with soil level about 2/3 inches from top, place the roots on top of the soil and try bring the pointed growing tip uppermost, don't worry if you cant show the growing tip up top as they will right themselves, then cover the roots with more soil and lay a few small pebbles on top to help hold the roots under the soil, I would then place the pot into a bowl od tepid water and leave it there till the water turns darker brown, (this means the soil has taken up enough water) remove the pot from the bowl, allow the soil to drain till no more water runs from the bottom of the pot, place on a saucer and sit close to window or on porch ect IF there is no chance of freeze.
By around Easter time you should get green shoots and flowers to follow, they like a shady area but with light, don't throw out the pot IF no shoots appear, they may need a year to settle and grow new roots, remember they were ripped out the ground, parcled up and got dried out en rout to the stores.
Good luck WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America