Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Carolina Gardening: xxxxx

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 91
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9058768

I'm sorry - didn't intend to post this.

This message was edited Mar 27, 2012 7:04 AM

Thumbnail by donnacreation
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9058990

Lol .. i had just gotten off the "magic eye" page so my eyes were kind of wiggy from looking at it:

http://www.magiceye.com/3dfun/stwkdisp.shtml

And by golly that picture of what looks like tree bark had bits in 3D! Lol.
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9059237

That's actually a pic of one of my 3 tall palmettos that is dying. Went through this a couple years ago with 3 other tall palmettos, and thought ground voles had killed them. They may have played a small role in the demise of the first 3, but I now realize that not having them handled and installed by professionals is the cause of death. Poor things got knocked and bruised in transit from the nursery, and it took almost a year for the damage/decline to appear. I lost a lot of money trying to save money! Woe is me...
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9061680

After talking with a palm guy at the Georgetown Clemson ext office, I no longer think all 3 of my palmettos died from being mishandled while being planted. He thinks my soil may contain the pathogen that causes ganoderma bud rot. He said this pathogen is in SC, so I'll be taking a soil sample to my local Clemson agent who will send it off for analysis. My cats did use the tallest for a scratching post and the trunk was deeply shredded, but he doesn't think that's the problem.

Has anybody heard of palms in SC being killed by ganoderma bud rot? This mystery is driving me nuts! Can hardly wait to get the results from my soil test.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9061697

I don't know since I don't grow palms .. but I do know how frustrating it is not to know what's killing your plants!
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9069544

Since I pulled the spear from my tallest palmettto 10 days ago, and accidentally posted a pic of it's gnarly trunk, it has sent up a new spear! And the soft spots on the trunk seem a little firmer. The other 2 palmettos I was also concerned about are growing new fronds and seem healthy. Guess I'll never know for sure, but I think dousing them w/fungicide, malathion, and hydrogen peroxide saved the tallest, and revived it's 2 smaller neighbors. Also grateful I didn't fall off the top rung of the ladder I had to dangle from while dousing my voodoo concoction over the tops of them.

I've also pulled spears from pindos and european fan palms, and saved them using the same technique. It's good to know that some palms can recover from spear pull.

Thumbnail by donnacreation   Thumbnail by donnacreation
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9070019

I was going to recommend that concoction! Glad to hear it worked for you.
Barb
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2012
3:30 AM

Post #9070426

Good to know, Barb. The insects that accompany bud rot can easily kill a palm. I'm hoping the upcoming summer heat and humidity will also help revive them. We'll see...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America