Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm sorry - didn't intend to post this.

This message was edited Mar 27, 2012 7:04 AM

Thumbnail by donnacreation
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Lol .. i had just gotten off the "magic eye" page so my eyes were kind of wiggy from looking at it:

http://www.magiceye.com/3dfun/stwkdisp.shtml

And by golly that picture of what looks like tree bark had bits in 3D! Lol.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

That's actually a pic of one of my 3 tall palmettos that is dying. Went through this a couple years ago with 3 other tall palmettos, and thought ground voles had killed them. They may have played a small role in the demise of the first 3, but I now realize that not having them handled and installed by professionals is the cause of death. Poor things got knocked and bruised in transit from the nursery, and it took almost a year for the damage/decline to appear. I lost a lot of money trying to save money! Woe is me...

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

After talking with a palm guy at the Georgetown Clemson ext office, I no longer think all 3 of my palmettos died from being mishandled while being planted. He thinks my soil may contain the pathogen that causes ganoderma bud rot. He said this pathogen is in SC, so I'll be taking a soil sample to my local Clemson agent who will send it off for analysis. My cats did use the tallest for a scratching post and the trunk was deeply shredded, but he doesn't think that's the problem.

Has anybody heard of palms in SC being killed by ganoderma bud rot? This mystery is driving me nuts! Can hardly wait to get the results from my soil test.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I don't know since I don't grow palms .. but I do know how frustrating it is not to know what's killing your plants!

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Since I pulled the spear from my tallest palmettto 10 days ago, and accidentally posted a pic of it's gnarly trunk, it has sent up a new spear! And the soft spots on the trunk seem a little firmer. The other 2 palmettos I was also concerned about are growing new fronds and seem healthy. Guess I'll never know for sure, but I think dousing them w/fungicide, malathion, and hydrogen peroxide saved the tallest, and revived it's 2 smaller neighbors. Also grateful I didn't fall off the top rung of the ladder I had to dangle from while dousing my voodoo concoction over the tops of them.

I've also pulled spears from pindos and european fan palms, and saved them using the same technique. It's good to know that some palms can recover from spear pull.

Thumbnail by donnacreation Thumbnail by donnacreation
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I was going to recommend that concoction! Glad to hear it worked for you.
Barb

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Good to know, Barb. The insects that accompany bud rot can easily kill a palm. I'm hoping the upcoming summer heat and humidity will also help revive them. We'll see...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images