Photo by Melody

Article: Spring Bulb Blooms May Be Finished but the Gardening Isn't: Unused refrigerated bulbs

Communities > Forums > Article: Spring Bulb Blooms May Be Finished but the Gardening Isn't
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spring Bulb Blooms May Be Finished but the Gardening Isn'tReplies: 1, Views: 8
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mgrwitness
Kenner, LA

March 27, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9059182

Can I use refrigerated paperwhite daffodil bulbs next year? I forgot to plant them.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9060910

I think the key question here is "How long will they last in refrigeration?" I have not found an answer to that specific question yet.
Two choices:
1- Plant them now. Amend the soil before planting, give them good care and plenty of water while they grow leaves, blom, and for a few weeks afterwards. Then they will want to dry and go dormant.
2- Keep them in the refrigerator until fall, and plant as you meant to.

"Paperwhites" are usually sold for forcing indoors in the winter. Papaerwhites, when put in a dish for forcing, will make roots, leaves and a bloom. I have not seen them sold refrigerated and do not think it is necessary. (Side note- Paperwhites I have forced, and then planted outside, have lived but failed to bloom for two years now.)

This page from the American Bulb Society says they should be stored dry and at room temperature.
http://www.daffodilusa.org/daffodils/growingtips.html

I hope this answers your question. Thanks for reading and writing.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spring Bulb Blooms May Be Finished but the Gardening Isn't Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks for the Tips! Potagere 6 Apr 29, 2009 6:33 AM
Handy! art_n_garden 9 Apr 29, 2009 11:12 PM
Iris MarikaF 1 Apr 30, 2009 2:33 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America